Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I expected an FF7-themed PS4 when this all started, and was angry with myself that I would totally buy it. But now maybe I can hold out for an FF7-themed PS5 and not be buying a duplicate. Especially since I won't buy this $330 edition, so I can put the money toward that.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I'm getting both, though I don't expect to see a PS5 until 2021.

...of course, they could very well launch one for the holidays of 2020. I'd be alright grabbing one by then, I think. Definitely, if it is Final Fantasy VII-themed.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I'm going to begin saving for that now.

...Just in case.

So, anyone else love that shot of Barret firing at Air Buster with the Shinra building in the background? I have a feeling the fights in this game are going to create a great many wallpapers.

View attachment 3512
I love that shot. Since the shot in the OG looked down on the catwalk, I never really considered what the view would be like looking straight out. I can't wait to get a completely different impression of familiar areas because of little things like different camera angles.

Also gives me hope that great OG shots like Dyne's Misery Cave will have a similar impact even with a free camera.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I'm sure it's been said already, but I hope to high holy hell there's some sort of photo mode. I've been spoiled so much by other games with stopping to take pictures; it'd probably be months before I even finished part 1 of the remake.

It looks like Tactical Mode is the closest we’ll get, but you can’t control the camera, it will slowly spin.

Edit: hee hee maybe Cait Sith could give us a camera mode ;)

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Oh, man. If we could get to play as Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie... damn. The old dream.

I mean, I'm VERY happy they are extending the story and fleshing out these guys more. But I will be grinning ear to ear if I can play as the whole of AVALANCHE on my first playthrough.
I think this is a possibility! We know now since the new trailer and artworks shown at E3, that everyone of them has a different weapon equipped and therefore the potential of unique special attacks and battle stances. In my mind (the post about OW Midgar that I should have written 6 months ago), they were always part of the main party for "Episode I", together with Cloud, Barret, Tifa...AND AERITH! That sounds contradicting I know, but when it comes to the bigger changes, or more like, THE BIG CHANGE in the Remake, this could be one.

to be continued...
soon..
maybe...

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Totally fair Force, I’m way behind on modern trends. Although we haven’t seen one yet, I’d love to!

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I think this is a possibility! We know now since the new trailer and artworks shown at E3, that everyone of them has a different weapon equipped and therefore the potential of unique special attacks and battle stances. In my mind (the post about OW Midgar that I should have written 6 months ago), they were always part of the main party for "Episode I", together with Cloud, Barret, Tifa...AND AERITH! That sounds contradicting I know, but when it comes to the bigger changes, or more like, THE BIG CHANGE in the Remake, this could be one.

to be continued...
soon..
maybe...

I like the idea that AVALANCHE seems to have a clear structure to it, and when the team gets crushed it throws everything into disarray. Then, the new squad sort of rises from the ashes, but isn't fully coalesced into it's own thing until they leave Midgar. That was something i always liked. Felt very organic.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
It has camera with selfie feature but it doesn't have free 360 degree camera free movement (main feature of photo mode).

Reactions: Ite

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
What does that entail? XV is the only game I played with such a mode, so maybe I'm just easily impressed.

Photo modes are essentially screenshot tools. It pauses the game, lets you move the camera freely around the scene, adjust exposure, aperture for depth of field effects etc
Some games also let you adjust characters facial expressions, poses and such. Spider-Man's photo mode lets you overlay comic book shit like speech bubbles and comic book cover frames.

Edit: As an example:

a screenshot I took in Horizon Zero Dawn :monster:

nh39X0I.png

Or Spider-Man:

43952978_2371134976237204_507445081737789440_o.jpg

49213301_2499935343357166_5347672773911117824_o.jpg

Last edited:

hleV

Pro Adventurer
Can't say I'm too impressed with Remake not having manual jump. How about jumping the gap in the Church and rooftops afterwards? Aren't there any platformer-ish areas in the Remake? :/

Unless it's just not implemented yet.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
If jump is not manual them it think it would trigger automatically by either pressing a button (as a context sensitive action button) or moving torwards in that direction.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Can't say I'm too impressed with Remake not having manual jump. How about jumping the gap in the Church and rooftops afterwards? Aren't there any platformer-ish areas in the Remake? :/

Unless it's just not implemented yet.
Not needed. Like @Lulcielid already said. Could still functioning like AssCreed, but without jumping on the spot... I mean, we are not Mario.

E.g. "After the first bombing raid of avalanche, we're encountering a scene, here in sector eight, where people are confused and freightend, parents who are trying to calm down and console their children. Suddenly out of nowhere, an aloof man with spikey blond hair and a sword as big as himself, jumping around like a kid on steroids..."

No, thank you.:awesomonster:

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I’m really glad / hoping jumping is not implemented into VIIR. I’d rather the combat be grounded so the controls and animation are tighter. Aerial combat in XV and KHIII was full jank, especially against larger foes.

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
If jump is not manual them it think it would trigger automatically by either pressing a button (as a context sensitive action button) or moving torwards in that direction.
It's certainly not a normal part of the control scheme. If jumping is required in the field it'll be handled contextually. In combat, aerial attacks trigger automatically based on proximity; Cloud will automatically leap up to perform aerial attacks on flying enemies if you can get in range to do so.

That being said, there's always Materia to modify gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if they introduce Materia that can modify movement and change the function of the Evade button. You might not get a conventional jump button, but a Jump command wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE SUMMONS?!!

I know we haven't had a proper reveal yet, but I'm so excited to learn more about Materia's inclusion within the Remake. I can just see those little guys running around the battlefield, occasionally attacking opponents or lending aid. I doubt that they will be relegated to just quick flashy effects. I wonder if 'summoning' a creature will be based on a timer, denoting the amount of time that they will remain 'in play'. Leveling up their Materia could even possibly lengthen the amount of time that they are around.

And these are three new summons! Whatever your thoughts on DLC / Pre-order bonuses (we ALL knew it was going to happen, and we'll most likely get a TON more) I'm glad that these are new and that the originals aren't locked behind a paywall.

Can't wait to find out more about Materia and Summons!

Top Bottom