Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
They wanna shove in some more DLC, fine. I'll buy it. I'm not happy about it, but this is the one game where I'll do all of that bullshit.

As for how the summons function, I'd be happy if they were just like in the original game: basically super spells. It ain't broke. No need to fix.

Since the first game will end with the escape from Midgar, it seems likely to me that much of the extra- and postgame content will take place in the Shinra HQ. I would then place the final save point at the 69th floor right before you discover the dead President Shinra because at that point you can still freely choose your party configuration. What extra content might we get?

- Some of Hojo's specimens will not have escaped from their enclosures. Release them to battle a superboss or two. I'd like to see at least one original design and then perhaps a suped up version of Ying Yang.

- The battle simulator of the 49th floor: The SOLDIER floor. I doubt Square will dismiss the easy chance for what may essentially become this game's Battle Square / Coliseum. While there are reasons to dislike virtual reality in FFVII the way it's depicted in the Compilation, virtual reality was already a thing in the original game with the Chocobo races.

English PS1 version:
“This Chocobo Race has Virtual devices
on the course.”
“They show natural scenery during
the race that really doesn't exist.”

ObBXloF.png
0B1aVbO.png

English PC version:
“This Chocobo Race is run on
a virtual course.”
“The natural scenery you see in
the race doesn't really exist.”

JP version:
「このチョコボレースは
コースの上に設置された
バーチャル装置によって」
「実際には存在しない自然の中で
ダイナミックなレースを
展開します」

To prevent you from overleveling on the SOLDIER floor early on I imagine this only becoming available after you've cleared the game once. Loading your postgame save you find the bloody remains of a 2nd Class SOLDIER, obviously killed in the wake of Jenova/Sephiroth. Investigating the body you find an ID card necessary to access the SOLDIER floor's battle simulator and woila you have your postgame coliseum available to you. Investigating the ID card you find that the name on it reads either "Kunsel" or "Luxiere".

The other upside of using the battle simulator is that it allows you to "visit" many parts of Midgar that you've already been to albeit inside this virtual reality. Want to do battle at the Sector 8 fountain? Sure. Want to battle a more difficult version of the Scorpion Sentinel in Mako Reactor No.1? Go right ahead.

- Going from my cursory knowledge of FFXV minigames, I believe that one or both of the pinball machines shown in Seventh Heaven will be playable. I reckon then that these pinball machines will reappear in one of the recreational floors of the Shinra HQ so that you can continue aiming for high scores even though Sector 7 has fallen.

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
All of that sounds good to me! To add on to your ideas:

- In addition to superbosses and a Battle Square equivalent, I'd like to play through an endgame (or post-game) dungeon. An entire area of high level monsters and tough bosses for an max level party. My first thought is they could add a basement to Shinra Tower with escaped experiments and mechs chasing them down, but I'm not sure if the gameplay benefit outweighs how silly that is for the story. Plus, that dungeon concept is a little too similar to Deepground for my tastes, so I dunno.

- Some kind of location with lots of minigames (including the pinball machines from Seventh Heaven) would be fun. I'm thinking a place in the slums that uses refurbished versions of old Gold Saucer machines. Like someone set up a black market trade route for old machines from Corel prison to the slums.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, I love the idea of Cloud gaining access to the SOLDIER training room on floor 49 and trying out various combat simulations referencing previous bosses and stuff from FFVII. However there's a problem with this idea being used so early.

He'd conceivably have access to fighting the battle data of Zack, Sephiroth and maybe even the other guy who owned the Buster Sword before him. Honestly, this idea would be better saved for near the end of the game when the game can fully reveal all sorts of potential enemies or characters that don't create narrative dissonance. Cloud at the start of FFVII shouldn't be seeing or battling a data battle of Sephiroth this early. Maybe giving him restricted access would be a way of fixing that dilemma and then he could gain full access when he's there again upon returning to Midgar to stop the Sister Ray from blowing up the city. That'd be a cool.

Hojo's lab and simulation data from various test samples could be interesting. However that would require a lot of new random monsters to just have wondering the building lol

One possible restriction, although no such restriction was ever specified in Crisis Core, would be that SOLDIER 2nd Class combatants are not allowed to access battle data for SOLDIER 1st Class enemies: This would include battle data for Zack and Sephiroth. EDIT: This would naturally still necessitate that you are not allowed to battle the SOLDIER 2nd Class version of Zack and I honestly would have no trouble with the explanation that this battle data was simply lost over time (or because it was only Zack's personal data to begin with).

In the original game you can fight SOLDIER 1st Class foes at the cannon in Midgar, so that would be a nice spot to pick up a 1st Class ID card, return to Shinra HQ and do battle against more difficult data. Though personally I'd prefer it if you never got to encounter the battle data for neither Zack nor Sephiroth. I think Zack works best as a memory and Sephiroth should be reserved for the final battle(s). I guess it can sort of work if we're talking about postgame content again where these sorts of battles are only unlocked after clearing the current game at least once.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Now I have not finished FFXIII or XV, but is “postgame content” something FF does now?

No idea. Though I guess there are two types of postgame content that needs distinguishing: One where content is unlocked after defeating the final boss (but the timeline doesn't place the player after the ending credits) and one where you actually get to roam the world as it is after you've defeated the big bad. You're allowed to roam the World of Ruin in FF6 in one of its ports even after defeating Kefka, right? Or is that just my imagination?

Ariga

Sephiroth's Best Friend
I don't remember roaming the world of ruin in FFVI after defeating Kefka, but I played the PS1 version.

In FFXIII, you get sent back to before you fight the final boss. The same is with FFXV. But extra things are unlocked, such as extra crystarium in FFXIII, and secret bosses in FFXV.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
No idea. Though I guess there are two types of postgame content that needs distinguishing: One where content is unlocked after defeating the final boss (but the timeline doesn't place the player after the ending credits) and one where you actually get to roam the world as it is after you've defeated the big bad. You're allowed to roam the World of Ruin in FF6 in one of its ports even after defeating Kefka, right? Or is that just my imagination?

Just your imagination I’m afraid. Once you cross the point of no return in the Final Dungeon, it’s always bosses, finale cutscene, credits, and then basically a “turn off your machine” screen. Doing anything else feels strange and wrong.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'd like it if, say after Cloud has the flashback of Zack in the Shinra Manor Basement, Cloud gained access to his data battle and it would hold significance as well as being a cool secret boss.

Sephiroth's data-battle would be accessed upon beating the game and it could be a harder one-on-one battle that showcases Sephiroth using unique variations of his abilities from the final battle.

I don't know if I'd want Genesis. He's literally supposed to be erased from history so he really shouldn't be having data in the Shinra mainframe at this point.

But that would be something I'd really enjoy.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Just your imagination I’m afraid. Once you cross the point of no return in the Final Dungeon, it’s always bosses, finale cutscene, credits, and then basically a “turn off your machine” screen. Doing anything else feels strange and wrong.
That's funny, because I always feel like leveling for a superboss and then trivializing the final boss of the story feels wrong haha. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

As for the VR training room, considering the lengths Shinra went to in order to cover up Nibelheim, I imagined they'd just delete the training data of anybody involved with that (aka Zack and Sephiroth). Maybe in later games you could find out that Hojo made a backup of their combat data, and you could fight them then.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Limit Breaks

When we following after the pattern how the Remake introduced the Limit Breaks, does this mean every first stage of the Limit Level from the OG will be a special attack? For Omnislash be an exeption, Cloud's case would be: Braver, Blade Beam and Meteorain. Second stages would still be Limit Breaks: Cross-Slash, Climhazzard, Finishing Touch and Omnislash. I guess they will give the system a sort of level-cap too?

Materia

My biggest concern about the system, that it hasn't the same depth like it was in the OG. We are still waiting for confirmation, that linking Materia is still a feature, used in the Remake. Whatever, I thought about how an ALL + MAGIC combination could work on the new "Tactical Mode".

For comparisons sake:

In the OG after you link an All Materia with Magic, you can't choose between single or multiple targets, it's locked to attack ALL enemies on the field (hope I remember this right, when not, sorry).
Fun fact, there's a difference in damage points only between a single and two targets, normally the amount of damage would sink with every additional enemy on the field, but you dash out the same amount of damage either way.

Functioning in Remake:

Through Tactical Mode we should have still the possibility to choose a single target, in addition to on how many enemies we want to use the spell on.

When it comes to dealing out damage, there are two options:
  1. Like in the OG, but this time transmitted rightfully (makes the ability to choose the targets more strategical)
  2. Every casted spell makes the full amount of damage in return of extra MP

Oh man, this is the time we were living for, right guys? To think about stuff like this, right? I'm so pumped! :excited:

Last edited:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I think it would be cool if the Buster Sword could later be upgraded to be Cloud's ultimate weapon, not just in Part 1, but in the entire series. It's such an iconic part of who he is and thematically an enhanced version of the Buster Sword makes more sense as his final weapon than Ultimate Weapon's weapon.

Oh and it would be totally awesome if at some point in the series we could unlock Cloud's Fusion Swords from AC:C, complete with the ability to use them two-handed or dual-wielded and switch between modes at will and with Omnislash 5.0 available as a new limit break.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Since when was Cloud using his weapon, he was just punching, wasn't he?

And I get the desire for ultimate Buster Sword....but I really like the Ultima Weapon, haha. I think they should go A New Threat's way with equipment. Different weapons are better at different things and situationally better, rather than just demonstrably better than the previous one.

Top Bottom