Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
This is a very specific request but I wish that when the party splits up in the Northern Crater at the end, it became a multi-party dungeon. I think it would make that part more interesting. It would also create a challenge in that you'd have to consider which characters you'd use, rather than the same 2-3 through most of the game.
Yo, it always bothered me that when you split up your party for rufus, you control both groups, but then for the north crater you just control the one with cloud. I found it confusing the first time, and then couldn't remember on replays which was which. Did many elevator battles with no materia.
Idk why they didn't just let you control both parties in the north crater. Since everyone levels basically evenly anyway. And you've got enough materia by that point you wouldn't even have to worry about unequipping one group to equip the other, you could just do everything at the point you split up.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I really hope for ability to jump and climb things

I'd like to be able to run around and jump on things and climb, maybe have some obstacle courses in the game - like when chasing Yuffie or climbing the plate?

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Come to think of it, there was alot of climbing and crawling and sliding and jumping in Final Fantasy VII. All of it scripted though.

Its the little things like that which helped make the game.

Things like all the minigames. Resuscitating Priscilla, the freeway chase, the squats competition, pressing the button at the same time in the 2nd reactor, dodging Elena's punch, keeping warm when climbing Gaia's cliff and more.

They must keep these things. It helps keep the game fresh by breaking up the traditional gameplay.

Smaddy

Green Mage
Speaking of minigames, I hope they majorly overhaul Fort Condor's minigame. I think it was a decent idea in theory, but the execution was somewhat painful and boring. Combat was slow, it was all automatic once you placed a unit, so you just had to slllllllowly watch this automatic battle play out. The controls/UI was even a little cumbersome to new players.

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
- I'll echo the option for multiple language options for audio and subtitles.

- Incorporate changes to the characters' appearances as we upgrade their gear and outfits.

- I'd like to be able to see/play some of the 'missing' scenes from the original game; like how Cid and the rest of the crew hijack the Highwind while Tifa and Barret were imprisoned and about to be executed.

SomethingWithTheR

Rookie Adventurer
I third multiple language options for audio and subtitles.

IF it is an action RPG, I hope we'll be able to actually have the option to play as every member in the party (since they never do this for any of their action RPGs...they tried with FFXV, but it was scrapped >>).

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I kinda hope characters get some unique traits. I don't like how characters only differed in limit breaks and stats. I want the game to give me an incentive to try out other characters by giving them other unique abilities (outside of limit breaks) that are not solely dependent on materia.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well...not that I or any of us want a full-on action game...but that would do it. As they would all feel different in combat :monster:

Starling

Pro Adventurer
You mean like a job system? The nice thing about materia is that it lets you set everyone up whichever way you want.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
That's exactly what bothered me though, every character could essentially do everything. It made me use only the same people because what's the point in using any others when they would be just the same?

I want something that makes characters unique, maybe some unique active abilities or maybe certain characters can use certain materia in unique ways. I don't wanna sacrifice the customization of materia and such but I also don't want characters robbed of their uniqueness in battle.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
In fact, the way that unlocking new limit breaks works (# of kills by that character) actively discourages changing your party around a lot.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
I love the material system. I didn't feel like I had to use certain characters. I played with my favourites and they did the job. I found 13 was like that if you didn't level much. You had to change your party because it could only be fought one way. I've done multiple playthroughs with every character but Cloud, tifa and nanaki will always be my favourites.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
I hope they flesh the world out some more. It always seemed a bit empty to me outside of a few towns scattered here and there. Little things like FFXV style gas stations by roads on the way to the next town would go a long way to making it feel more alive.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I hope they flesh the world out some more. It always seemed a bit empty to me outside of a few towns scattered here and there. Little things like FFXV style gas stations by roads on the way to the next town would go a long way to making it feel more alive.

I'd love to see little extra stuff like gas stations and villages/houses in the wilderness.

Kionae

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Desha
I'd love to see little extra stuff like gas stations and villages/houses in the wilderness.

For some reason, this makes me vaguely want to play an FF7-themed version of Fallout 3. ;)

God, I hope make this open world...

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I love the materia system, but totally understand how it's a love-it-or-hate-it-thing...especially at the time, actually, coming out of a long-wave of FF's where each character had a very specific set of abilities. It allowed you to pick your party completely based on who you liked, stylistically or personality wise, and to fill in the strategy blanks manually using the materia, rather than making sure you had the right mix of classes. If they do keep it, I think touching it up in some ways would be quite fine...as Tetsujin suggested, something like unique abilities for each character, not make-or-break ones, necessarily, but incentives to use them and ones that would alter your overall strategy in battle. Almost like the way that Yuffie comes equipped with the "Throw" materia, in the end it's a removable materia, but when I first got her and tried her out in battle, I thought it was some special technique a secret character had.

I really like the idea of gas stations and houses and stuff. Not a similar game at all, but one of my favorite parts of playing Skyrim was stumbling upon random shacks and houses in the wilderness. I also like the idea of making Gaia feel like an actual place, and seeing NPCs going about their day purchasing stuff at a gas station and taking a break from their travels would help that immensely. The crowdedness of Midgar in the trailer is promising as well. I like the thought of Barret and Cloud weaving through throngs of people trying to blend in, and vendors and clerks shouting from their shops to Cloud and Aeris in Wall Market.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Barret and Cloud weaving through throngs of people trying to blend in
This is actually one of the things that excited me the most upon re-watching the trailer a couple of times. Thinking about the fact that that sequence likely represents just before the "train event" we all know as the opening of the game, and picturing them walking through the crowd nervously like that...with a bomb, no less...really hammers home the point that these are TERRORISTS we're dealing with. In an awesome, dark, way

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
This is actually one of the things that excited me the most upon re-watching the trailer a couple of times. Thinking about the fact that that sequence likely represents just before the "train event" we all know as the opening of the game, and picturing them walking through the crowd nervously like that...with a bomb, no less...really hammers home the point that these are TERRORISTS we're dealing with. In an awesome, dark, way

Ooh, never thought of them walking in there with the bombs on them like that. Makes me think of it in a darker way, like you said.
One of the things I love about VII is the morality themes in it. Yeah, they're trying to topple Shinra, but they also end up killing innocent lives in their attempts to do so, and they try and grapple with that, either to make the "it's for the greater good" excuse or to face it head on and see their actions for what they are. I always thought it was really deep. Some stories make the good guys fighting the evil corporations all heroic and never pay attention to who might get caught in the crossfire, but VII does, and it really makes you think.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
At this point Im pretty sure we'll have a battle system where you control one character (hopefully your choice) and the other 2 are controlled by the AI with some sort of customizable presets to determine their general behavior.

If thats the case, give us full control over whoever we are. If its a close range character like Cloud or Tifa, give us a huge assortment of moves to learn and unlock as the game progresses. Im talking full fighting game level assortment. Give them a 'stamina' bar that forces them to 'rest' after excuting a certain number of moves.

Long range characters are a bit more tricky. You should have to manually reload their weapons. That should take a bit of time so they cant just unload thousands of rounds in succession. And make targeting of enemies manual. Make the cross hairs change size depending on the weapon you are using. Something with a big blast radius but few rounds like a shotgun has big crosshairs, but Barret's default gatling gun has small cross hairs but lots of rounds.

Make short range characters faster and more agile as they will constantly be in the heat of battle, but long range characters a bit slower and less agile so they cant hit and run too easily. It will probably be necessary to give most enemies a short and ranged attack so long range characters are continually in danger.

All limit breaks should have some level of interaction, but something more then simple button smashing. A simple QTE would be fine.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
The problem is, I just can't see how they can reconcile full-on action battle mechanics with a complete materia sub-system. I am more than willing to embrace change with this remake, but losing the awesome Materia system is just one aspect that I am not willing to accept, and I'm hoping that they've realised that they can't simply rip out such a core component as a full Materia system.

I'm hoping for some kind of middle ground here. The characters are all running around doing their own thing ala XV - whilst subject to the Materia combinations that you have allotted to them - with a queued command system for whichever character you switch to (which you can do instantly on the fly). So you can move around the field and opponents whilst blocking or doing a single attack, or, if you wait for your stamina to fill, you can execute a combo with your equipped commands: two physical attacks or a physical attack followed by a Materia, etc... making for some dazzling Advent Children style attacks and combination techniques, especially with your fellow allies adding their own assaults to the mix.

They could make it so that as you level up you gain more command slots (so 3 maximum commands, then 4, etc,...), and so in turn, you can execute more strings to your chains. Or they could even tie it into the weapon you have equipped, making you restricted to each weapon's attributes. Double growth Materia weapons can have both an 'unlinked slots' restriction as well as possessing less maximum combo chains, making you further consider their use in upcoming battles.

Imagine Cloud rushing towards an enemy, executing two quick swipes of the Buster Sword, followed by a Bolt spell and then blocking any possible counters. But with counter-mime equipped, he will automatically redo those last actions. And then while he is blocking that attack (or automatically initiating his counter attack), you can then decide to switch to Barret, and then to Aerith, executing Bolt spells which could then chain together to create an even more powerful Bolt effect with even more damage.

I don't know. Just daydreaming here.

Ultimately, as long as I can have a full Materia system somewhere in this 'evolution' then I will be happy.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
If the remake decides to keep the world map of the entire planet instead of doing a multi-regional sectioned open world that is 1:1 scale (I imagine it would have to be sectioned in order to contain/process an entire planet), what relatively recent games (like last 5 years) could it be compared to that also have have not-to-scale world maps?

I can only think of Ni no Kuni and Type-0 off the top of my head for now.

Are there any other games that could be compared?

Top Bottom