Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
This would totally make the game immediately retain the same feel as the OG. The Ocarina of Time / Majora’s Mask remakes, even if they were remade at similar limitations, kept their moods largely to the fact all the sounds were the same.

In a probably more relevant example, DMC5 still uses the menu sounds from DMC1 even though it is a much more advanced game. And FFVII-R would immediately feel more like FFVII if the menu sounds were the same. The limitbreak sound, too.

This is a really cool find!

On the topic of the Golden Saucer, I’m super curious what they do with it. I hope they keep the carnival-like music (a lot of the remake seems to be more orchestrated) and I hope they make it feel like a genuine festival area. People bustling, lots of fun commotion, and so on! And keeping things like the goofy slides to get to the different sectors. Agreed that the games should be PSX quality, too. (with the exception of the “IRL” games, like the shooting hoops one.

Having gameplay on some of the mini games that’s more than just pressing a button at the right time would also be ideal.
Yeah, those are two little things that would definitely keep the OG feel, without messing with updated graphics. I love that they're adding new content, and expanding on things. But, keeping things like that would add more to the charm of the remake (in my opinion)

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I feel like Kitase, Nomura and all the gang just have a completely different point of view in regard to that. Of course, we cant know for sure, but for what it seems, they are much more focused in keeping certain scenes intact, and certain segments of dialogue. I cant even argue if sound effects and such have even crossed their mind in this Remake. Fortunately, the Mod Gods are on our side.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sound effects like that would be the sound director and producer's domain. If they're the same people from the OG they'll probably keep that in mind. Or if whoever's on the team notices and cares about that detail they will.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I dont think there has been a mentioning of the sound producer and director, but I dont recall any original sound effects in the demo, and in any promotional content. There is always the possibility, but, it's not like they gave any idea of it. In fact, most of our reactions have been to this game versions of the original sounds, like the Victory Fanfare and stuff.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I’m really grateful we don’t have the PS1 menu sounds. I remember re-playing FF9 and my roommate at the time confronted me about the volume of my “duck game.” I had no idea what she was talking about... and now I cannot unhear it.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I mentioned this in the Clessie thread a while back, but that spinning kick Jessie does to the guard made me wonder if Tifa's been teaching her some of her moves. And if that's part of her story, it might be fun to be able to have a mock one-on-one battle with her (sort of a sparring session) for real XP for Tifa, like in FFXV where Noct and Gladio could spar at camp if you wanted. Only Tifa would be the one doing the training even though she's also the one getting the XP. And I could see Biggs and Wedge watching and placing bets on the winner, might be a fun buddy moment for them. Maybe the more times you fight Jessie, the better the AI gets so as to give you more of a challenge, too.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
A big opportunity for an improvement on the original is increasing the interactions the AVALANCHE members have, so hopefully that’s something that is explored. Jessie’s roundhouse kick did feel very Tifa-like, so I wonder if you’re into something, Jairus.

Given the increased banter all-around, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the case.

Jairus

Whenever I think of Tifa and Jessie sparring together, I hear this in my mind:

I don't know, but even just watching them do it in a cutscene seems like it would be really cool. Of course what I said above about fighting Jessie as Tifa for XP would be even better, but either way would still be great.

Jessie: I know kung fu...
Tifa: Show me.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
That actually would be a great idea if the game were more open world and less narratively driven. While there are points in the game where you have downtime to do missions and stuff I sadly don't see this type of open training being likely.

They're gonna do other stuff to let you grind and train but sadly "sparring with teammates" is unlikely one of them. That was a cool concept from XV.

Jairus

Well, we'll see. There might still be a chance for it during some of that down time you mentioned.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I’ve always wondered something...in the original FFVII, you can target anyone on the battlefield with any move you do (attacks, items, etc) regardless if they’re party members or enemies, of course.

This mainly just causes friendly fire, but you are able to exploit this universal aiming by using Phoenix Downs on ghost / undead bosses - it’s a one hit KO. This is a super creative concept.

As far as I can tell, this sort of universal aiming wasn’t in the demo. It’d be a bit of a shame to lose the “think outside of the box” ways of overcoming challenges. I hope it’s in the remake somehow.

Kinda off topic, but this got me thinking. Can you theoretically use friendly fire to build LIMIT bars up faster? I feel like the damage ratio (party members have attacks designed for the much higher enemy HP levels) makes this unviable. But theoretically it’s possible...? That’d be a glass cannon style of play for sure, but damn. Haven’t actually tried this for obvious reasons.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Kinda off topic, but this got me thinking. Can you theoretically use friendly fire to build LIMIT bars up faster? I feel like the damage ratio (party members have attacks designed for the much higher enemy HP levels) makes this unviable. But theoretically it’s possible...? That’d be a glass cannon style of play for sure, but damn. Haven’t actually tried this for obvious reasons.

In the original, no. Friendly fire does not increase the limit gauge.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I dont think there has been a mentioning of the sound producer and director, but I dont recall any original sound effects in the demo, and in any promotional content. There is always the possibility, but, it's not like they gave any idea of it. In fact, most of our reactions have been to this game versions of the original sounds, like the Victory Fanfare and stuff.
When I said sound effects, I meant you "confirm" or "cancel" an action. It's something so minor of a detail, but definitely something OG players would notice. At least I would

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I’ve always wondered something...in the original FFVII, you can target anyone on the battlefield with any move you do (attacks, items, etc) regardless if they’re party members or enemies, of course.

This mainly just causes friendly fire, but you are able to exploit this universal aiming by using Phoenix Downs on ghost / undead bosses - it’s a one hit KO. This is a super creative concept.

As far as I can tell, this sort of universal aiming wasn’t in the demo. It’d be a bit of a shame to lose the “think outside of the box” ways of overcoming challenges. I hope it’s in the remake somehow.

In the battle against Rufus, we had to attack our party. If we didn't, we'd get a game over due to them being in pyramids

Jairus

You mean Reno, and they've probably adjusted that mechanic for the remake. If they've even kept the pyramids in at all.

Something else I wonder, though, is how gave saving will work. I hope it's like the original where you can have multiple save slots. I'd like to be able to go back to any point in the game that I've saved at rather than having to deal with some kind of autosave system like in Dirge or DOOM 2016.

Reactions: LNK

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
rather than having to deal with some kind of autosave system like in Dirge or DOOM 2016.
Dirge actually has a chapter select function that keeps your equipment from the last time you played up to that chapter. Not quite a manual save, but you can go back to any part of the story you want.

Like Force said, Reno's pyramid power is actually pretty well suited for the new entrapment mechanic. Still doesn't explain why the heck Reno can do that, but whatever. Maybe he'll shoot some kind of restraining harness onto the party member instead of summoning magic pyramids.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
You mean Reno, and they've probably adjusted that mechanic for the remake. If they've even kept the pyramids in at all.

Something else I wonder, though, is how gave saving will work. I hope it's like the original where you can have multiple save slots. I'd like to be able to go back to any point in the game that I've saved at rather than having to deal with some kind of autosave system like in Dirge or DOOM 2016.
That's right! My mistake!

Jairus

I guess what I meant is, I didn't want an autosave that didn't let us go back to any previous point. I'd prefer a save system like the OG had instead.

Reactions: LNK
Top Bottom