• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

Mateuz

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I have a few ideas about the combat system. First of all, what is an action RPG? FF XV? Kingdom Hearts? Crisis Core? If the answer is yes, then FF7R will not be an action RPG. Why? Because FF7 has the most nice characters in franchise. Everybody loves Tifa, Barret, Red XIII, Vincent, Yuffie, Cid, and, why not, Cait Sith. So, it's kind impossible to made a remake only controlling Cloud. This kind Action RPG goes great with FF XV or KH because the plot is centered in one person, like Sora in KH or Noctis in FF XV. In FF7 Cloud is the main character, yes, but the whole story is bigger than Cloud x Sephirot. And, of course, Square Enix knows that everybody will be upset if we cannot control the whole party, making the limit breaks useless. I think that SE will made a combat system like FF XIII, but a better version. Imagine the FF XIII combat system in FF7, but controlling the whole party, with the materia system. When I mean FF XIII I mean the animations during the battle. Lightning doing a jump and attacking like a jackie chan. That's my reading when Nomura says that FF7R combat system will be more "immersive".

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
It must feel dizzy going around in circles.. I wanted another cutting edge cgi cutscene in winter but now all I want is square to tell me how the battle system works.

For some reason something I really want them to show us in the next little teaser is Cloud and the others making it over Gaea's Cliffs and seeing the North Crater for the first time, with the Lifestream erupting from it and everything.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
That would be cool. The new tomb raider showed something like that. I think it gives you a scope of just how huge it is. I just want to see Cloud's face. Still terrified that they've ruined it. Going by his ripped arm I think he will have lost that advent children look which I've come to accept is him.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Ones thing for sure, I DO NOT want sleepy eyed about to break out into tears Advent Children Cloud. They need to keep his eyes open. In the original game he is cocky and confident. Not depressed sad eyes.

If you look at all the art from the original game - his eyes are ALWAYS fully open - not half closed due to sadness and dispair.

AfZrwRz.jpg

hleV

Pro Adventurer
I never liked the one on the right. Wish the middle one was used for his primary profile picture in the game.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
I agree with the expressions. He shouldn't be mopey but I'd hate it if they gave him stubble or something. If they'd have not made any of the other compilation I don't think I'd have been bothered, but I've accepted what he looks like now. It's like when David hayter didn't do the voice for snake. Ruined it for me.

Solordinn

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I never liked the one on the right. Wish the middle one was used for his primary profile picture in the game.

the right one makes sense cause if you noticed, his eyes are mako-infused compared to how he looked in the past.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
To me the worst thing they changed about Cloud's looks was his hairstyle. Its not distinct anymore, its really just a KH Sora style mess now.

But I guess they tried to make it work but it didnt look right with higher quality models that werent full on anime style.

Lex

Administrator
Really though, his original hairstyle would never have worked in the semi-relistic graphics they went for. It's still nuts anyway, just in a slightly more realistic way :monster:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Or as I like to call it, the Junon Parade mini game. :D

EDIT: :monster:

Oh, so that's why Cloud sucks at the parade, because he hates it? Is that why I can never get a good score on the marching?!

Yes, must be. Can't be that I just suck at making him walk in line. :monster:

We should make a cookie monster thread. :monster:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Wha--there is? :monster: Well my idea just came about a billion years late to the party. :monster: Where's it at?

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
I really hope they nail the animations in general but especially in the field (if there is going to be field and battle transitions ofc) awkward animations can be jarring and ruin immersion.

Some realistic, individual idle character movement for everyone is great.

Vito

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I really hope there is a secret mode where you play as Sephiroth or rather Jenova taking the form of Sephiroth.

I also want the final battle to be changed into a fight similar to AC. A one turn battle isn't going to cut it anymore.

Oh and I really don't want fucking story DLC. Fuck that very much.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Speaking of stats...

What type of stats (and how many of them) do we want?

FFXIII had three: Strength, Magic and HP.

FFVII had eight base stats and seven derived stats. The Base stats are: HP, MP, Strength, Vitality, Magic, Spirit, Dexterity and Luck. The Derived stats are: Attack, Attack%, Defense, Defense%, Magic Attack, Magic Defense, and Magic Defense%.

Due to the amount of stats, I find FFVII feels much more RPG-like then FFXIII. I'm wondering if the stats are going to be simplified and how that would effect the battle system.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
I want them to keep them all. And make sure they all work this time. I enjoyed the difficulty of morphing all those monsters in the glenika.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Oddly enough, the more I play RPGs, the less I care about stats. In my opinion, stats should be at the service of whatever gameplay system is used (and I would personally prefer the remake to change from the OG and provide a refreshed experience), so to me it doesn't really matter what they are as long as the whole system is coherent.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Well they need to nerf the hero drink first. It kind of makes all that work getting sources to boost your stats a waste of time

And please dont use the word simplified. That makes me think of bad things like level caps. And auto replenishing HP. No and no.

Lex

Administrator
Speaking of stats...

What type of stats (and how many of them) do we want?

FFXIII had three: Strength, Magic and HP.

FFVII had eight base stats and seven derived stats. The Base stats are: HP, MP, Strength, Vitality, Magic, Spirit, Dexterity and Luck. The Derived stats are: Attack, Attack%, Defense, Defense%, Magic Attack, Magic Defense, and Magic Defense%.

Due to the amount of stats, I find FFVII feels much more RPG-like then FFXIII. I'm wondering if the stats are going to be simplified and how that would effect the battle system.

Attack% needs to be named Accuracy and Defense% needs to be named Evasion in the remake if they're keeping them XD. Although Magic Defense% is a weird one. Magic Evasion?

Top Bottom