• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Chapter markers? I don’t even want a quest log! Keep me immersed, let me explore, and let the story unfold. What’s wrong with multiple save files? That’s part of the fun!

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Chapter markers? I don’t even want a quest log! Keep me immersed, let me explore, and let the story unfold. What’s wrong with multiple save files? That’s part of the fun!

I dunno. I like the idea of the Persona New Game + mixed with being able to go back specifically to a certain time and place to exact bloody vengeance.

On a different note, Homework is making me feel frustrated and when I get frustrated I end up spitting out huge gameplay concept ideas. So I think once I'm done with this medical coding hell I want to build up a "What if" ability sheet for each character.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
If you have lots of sidequests going on at the same time, you definitely need a quest log.

Either that, or you'd need just thousands of icons on the map that remind you of things you haven't done yet. Otherwise, you'd just forget about old quests whenever a new one pops up.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
There are some quests in XV where you have to find an item based on a secret treasure map. It just gives you a wide radius that contains the item at some hidden point. Imagine having something like that without a quest log. It'd be a nightmare to try and remember what's going on, and why there's nothing at the exact place the quest icon appears (but is hidden nearby within a radius of it).

Ite

AKA
Ite
How about you find the object if you find it, remember what it’s for if you remember it, and don’t get the reward if you don’t?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think that's a bit unrealistic and unfair.

Quality of life additions to the game should not be forsaken for just some purist type of agenda. A quest log helps players know where they're going, what's going on in the plot and what's left to do. It really is not going to ruin the game. The narrative and experience of FFVII should be able to withstand a change like that, especially with new players coming in to play.

I seriously hope we get a datalog and a bestiary to supplement the lore. It'll make the game easier to understand since certain plot points can get lost or jumbled through the game. If one picks up and plays it intermittently it becomes easy to forget things regarding the story.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, again, I don't necessarily need a map marker telling me exactly where to go. But something telling me that I've picked up a quest and some vague idea of what I'm looking for and for whom, would be great.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, one part of the game a quest log or something would be helpful is with the Fort Condor mini-game. And I'm not talking about the part during the Huge Materia hunt, I'm talking about the side quest where random new battles unlock at odd points in the game you have no idea about. Unless you're literally going to Fort Condor every time the plot of the game progresses, there's no way you'd ever know the battles were even there, let alone the prizes for them.

Something that would let you know that something was up with or when a new battle was available would be super helpful.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Agree to disagree I guess. It certainly wasn’t necessary for the first ten FF games, and missing out on every special item wasn’t the end of the world.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
lol, the setup of the Fort Condor quest is so bizarre. How did they ever expect someone to do that? Did they really think people would be trekking back there after every new town? It was years before I even knew you could take the cargo ship back to the first continent.

Agree to disagree I guess. It certainly wasn’t necessary for the first ten FF games

Yes and no. If I had to look up on the internet how to get a gold chocobo or do the queen of cards thing, is that really any different?

And indeed, I wouldn't want a quest log to be as direct and fully-explanatory as those internet walkthroughs are, but since the games give you almost nothing, you weren't left with a ton of choice. The game giving me a middle ground would be nice. FFXII in particular seemed designed with "heehee buy our guide!" in mind >_>

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I didn't use a guide back then to breed a gold chocobo. It took a ton of time and experimentation. That being said, an in-game guide would have been damn lovely.

So I suppose I go both ways on this. I think for a lot of things it would be very nice to have at least the ability to mark things. But I also don't mind the inclusion of hidden easter eggs for the more savvy gamers to come across. It's not a make-or-break thing for me, but it would be a nice addition.

Ite

AKA
Ite
The biggest issue for me would be crap in my HUD like a minimap or worse, quest markers hovering over NPCs/locations. When playing FFXII I taped a piece of paper over the top corner of the screen to keep myself from looking at the minimap. I probably saw more of the game than I would have otherwise, because I was paying attention to where I was going and visual landmarks. Luckily there weren’t quest markers in that game, but that MMO shit seems standard in games now. I know I was just called a “purist” with the maximum amount of snide condescension, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask for that distracting gamey stuff to be toggled.

Ite

AKA
Ite
^ Yeah FFXV has a HUD toggle, so I've heard, and people 'round the web seem happy with it. :)

Something I think they'll do that I am really excited about is an expansion of the cross dressing game or at least a dressing room. Honestly, I will replay that shit so much just to see Cloud in all the different outfits. There's two ways they can approach it, I think:
1) stay true to the OG and make your choices while Wall Market determine your specific look, focusing on RP rather than a cosmetic minigame
2) A COSMETIC MINIGAME. You can collect a wide array of options, or perhaps even ALL the options (a 'gold achievement' perhaps?) You can walk around Wall Market in whatever you like, changing whenever you like, with only what you wear to Corneo's mansion determining who gets that special interview with the Don.

This is one area where I'm hoping they aren't true to the OG, or at least, they lean more towards the 2nd approach. A character creation-like menu where you can choose your makeup or how you style the blonde wig would. ? be. ? solid. ? fucking. ? gold.

Edit: What do people think about implementing a "garb" system like from FFXIII into FF7? I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
I'm all for it. As long as materia growth remains independent from character growth, and "class" is primarily based on materia combinations, each character from the game already leans in a certain direction, suggested by their unchangeable weapons, their role in the story, and general stat progression. Any further individual perks would be icing on the cake.

I can't shake this idea, nor my desire for it. My pipe dream (this is a "Hopes for the Remake" thread after all :) ):

- Make it cosmetic-only -- adding buffs or "attributes" to garbs kills the fun of playing Barbie, which is really what this should all be about. I'm hopeful about this one. Square-Enix has set a precedent for cosmetic-only outfit changes in Dissidia Opera Omnia and I see plenty of people rockin' the global app with Terra's green hair and Ramza's mercenary outfit, which go for $50 a pop. In FF7R I might even join in! If I've already paid for the console and the game, which I will upon release, investing a bit more in a cool outfit doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

- Should be distinct from weapon/armor/accessory visibility. If Lightning Returns is anything to go by, plenty of garbs will cover your armor/accessory, but I don't think I would use garb options that turned your armor invisible (ex. "Amazon Warrior" or other battle-panties outfits). That's another reason I want it to be cosmetic-only. No one likes being forced to wear the Moogle Queen outfit for important story bosses because it has +5 to vitality.

- Okay! So, you unlock the garb system when you wake up in Seventh Heaven -- the same moment as the OG's materia tutorial.

- To start, each of your three party members (Cloud, Tifa, and Barret) will have their default costume and an alternative. This is their home base, after all, and you're helping them gear up. This will help with the players who will inevitably be irked by the "Tifa skirt problem," wanting a more practical/modest alternative, while allowing people who like her design to keep it. Giving Cloud an alternative to a very obvious Shinra uniform might be a nice touch, especially when you're trying to keep a low profile in the slums, which is often. Barret? Ah, give him a shirt.

- If you want to change garbs, you can do so wherever you use tents, or whatever. If there's no restriction, that's fine too. Change 'em mid battle, it matters not.

- When you get Aeris, she might not have a garb alternative, but maybe if you look around her house you can get one for her, maybe her Crisis Core outfit?

- At the end of the Wall Market sequence (read: the sewers) Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris can change out of their, ahem, formal wear. They keep those options as their first unlockable garb. What Cloud wears to Corneo's mansion becomes his garb. If the programmers want a challenge, they can allow Cloud to change his cross-dressing outfit via a (say it with me) MINIGAME!! :excited::excited::excited: But only ever if you're at the dressmaker's in Wall Market/collecting items from the Honeybee Inn, etc. More than one cross-dressing slot for Cloud might be incredibly progressive, or backfire horribly. Square-Enix, proceed with caution.

- I don't know how you would do Red XIII. Changing his tattoos seems lore-unfriendly, but then I probably just wouldn't use it, and it might be a cool option for some folks.

- Starting with Kalm, each town has a clothing shop with at least a few garbs for sale. You won't be able to buy or even preview items for characters you haven't collected yet, but you'll be able to see the greyed-out name. For example: the outfit Shinra Engineer might appear in the Junon clothing shop, greyed-out until you get Cid, who can wear the outfit. You can buy farmer outfits from Chole (omg I am imagining them and they are all adorable). This is a very attractive gil suck, and will have me happily grinding for hours and hours just to get things like a robin-hood getup for Barret or a Beatrix-style coat for Aeris.

- Everyone (even Red XIII) unlocks the Shinra MP garb during the Junon sequence. Barret gets a sailor suit.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I love that garb idea.

As far as character abilities, I've been trying to has out a skill tree.

The main mechanism I'm working with is basically a large number of abilities per character that can be used after upping the ATB bar through different circumstances.

Sitting still raises it x1.5, attacking physically raisies it by 1.75, getting hit raises it by 2, so on and so forth.

The higher your ATB bar, the higher tier the special ability you can slip into your combo by pressing triangle+R1 or Triangle +L1. You can switch between three sets, meaning within any one scenario each character gets 18 possible special attacks to slip into their combo. Much like limits, you can either save your ATB over time to get one very large attack, or more frequently use their special abilities

Cloud: Tank/Brute. His sword swings have the best knock-back/stun power of anyone besides maybe Cait Sith. His abilities fit seamlessly into his combo to build up more stun power. Think his wall-rush abilities from Dissidia

Tier one:
Brave Strike: A lesser form of braver, best used as a combo finisher with a higher chance of stun
Wolf Strike: Crosses the field, and carries enemies to a certain point with DPS, with potential wall-strike or stun

Tier two
Cyclone: Three strikes that can extend the combo, with push back
Rising fang: Two strikes, but with juggle capacity beyond normal limitations

Tier three:
Cherry Blossom: Three strike attack that automatically adds elemental damage at random from materia equipped, regardless if elemental is attached.
Wide Arc: Single wide swing with AEO knock back ability, and retreat/invincibility frames.

Barret: Cover Fire Tank: Barret's unique aspect is that he can release constant fire, while committed to tank controls. This can stack up to higher damage values than other characters, but can be interrupted and has a longer cool down.

Jessie: Uses her technical abilities to either produce AOE grenades on the spot, or control enemy robot units.
Tier one:
Grenado: AOE damage +retreat
Scan: Freely scan without casting time or cool down

Tier two:
Proximity mine: can lay down a line of mines that will go off for AOE damage near enemies
Hack: Can control Mecha class enemies similar to Confuse status, but with 0 chance of attacking ally characters. Enemy's will self destruct if no other enemy units are left.

Biggs: Munitions expert. Biggs in normal melee uses clip-based fire arms. He acts as a training character for Vincent, with the ability to snipe individual targets easily on larger enemies when in Cover mode.

Tier one
Switch lock: Switch to secondary weapon for an extra combo round.
Double fire: Use both weapons at once to build combo chain potential

Tifa: Combo chain. Tifa's combo rate has the highest growth, meaning she can keep an enemy occupied longer if they can't break her combo or defend. I'm toying with an arcade style combo system, but I'm not sure how that'd work with inputs yet.

Aerith: Outside of her healing limits, her main focus is on casting magic, and getting benefits from doing so. Unlike others, she naturally gets more ATB from magic use than other characters, let's say a 3 Xs ATB charge rate.
Tier one
Osmosis: Gains back MP based on damaged done through magic combos
Manafont: Buffs up Mag/Mnd stat until the next combo

Tier two
Geostance: Elemental invulnerability for a limited window
Ruin: Non elemental AOE damage+Retreat

Tier three
Ganbatte: Stat buff to any character in proximity to her.
Prayer: Holy elemental damage AOE + knockback.

Red XIII: second highest combo chain after Tifa, but higher speed and strength. Much of his abilities focus on manipulating enemy AI or position, the way a pack hunter would behave.
Tier one
Drag: Latch onto an enemy, with a success rate based on enemy's weight vs Red XIII's level. Red XIII can interrupt most attacks, and drag enemies in a specific direction.
Hamstring: A strong three part attack that limits enemy's speed and combo chain.

Tier two:
Howl: A lesser version of lunatic high that grants a stat buff for the next combo chain.
Rebound: Move directly to the nearest enemy within a certain radius for a second combo.

Yuffie: While not the strongest, Yuffie has a number of special abilities that help her move around the field much more easily, and build up ATB while never having to get in the line of fire for too long. Her shuriken has both initial strike, as well as striking abilities on the return trip, with different weapons having different flight patterns.

Tier one:
Smoke bomb: Minor damage, but instantly teleports Yuffie to the edge of the combat ring, with a few seconds of invincibility frames.
Spider Climb: Can be activated near a wall, and Yuffie can wall climb out of reach of most enemies and terestrial-based attacks.

Tier two
Shadowstep: Slips directly behind enemies. Use this at the beggining of a combo to get rear damage on enemies
Clone Jutsu: Create's up to three different clones that will draw enemy aggro

Tier three:
Falcon's Flight: Homes in on different enemies for an extended period of time, regardless of default flight pattern.
Advanced Clone: Similar to Clone Jutsu, but also the clones will mirror when you do a combo chain, similar to Mirage Staff in KH3.

Cait Sith: Chaotic tank: Cait's moogle is a big squishy body that has a much lower chance than anyone else of suffering knockback, and can stop enemies in their tracks, or confuse them.

Tier one
Belly flop: AOE damage with stun ability
Launch: Lower damage, but will send enemies flying in the opposite direction. +damage if interupting a combo

Tier three
Crazy Cat: Cait get's flung off the moogle, and runs around with high aggro, but high evade, and only accounts for a maximum of 2/3rds Cait Sith's total HP. Cait Sith becomes unsusable for that period, and the mode ends either within a short time span, or if he gets hit.

That's all I have so far.

Ite

AKA
Ite
If there’s a Steam release, I’m hoping the New Threat team gets their mitts on it.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
A character creation-like menu where you can choose your makeup or how you style the blonde wig would. ? be. ? solid. ? fucking. ? gold.

Yes! Of course, I'm for just about any more interactivity. But the whole idea of changing this section into something of a minigame is hilarious, and sounds fun as hell.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
What are people's thoughts about each character getting unique skills that promote their individual roles?

I think it's one of the few parts of RPGs I have no real opinion on. I enjoy class systems about equally as much as non-class systems.
As long as they still have their own limit breaks and weapons, that's enough for me really.

I hope they don't really change the materia system too much. That was easily one of the best levelling/skill systems in a FF game.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I think it's one of the few parts of RPGs I have no real opinion on. I enjoy class systems about equally as much as non-class systems.
As long as they still have their own limit breaks and weapons, that's enough for me really.

I hope they don't really change the materia system too much. That was easily one of the best levelling/skill systems in a FF game.

Functionally it can transfer 1:1 in terms of how they equip. They just need to be changed in execution a little to account for real time combat, and the 3D enviroment. If anything, they have MORE options to expand things.

I love the idea of gravity spells being used as ways to draw enemies in for example, and then nailing them power a powerful AOE attack, instead of just being a way to deal with HP sponges.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Chip I just had a chance to really dig in to your idea, and it’s pretty cool! Although I figured they were going to scrap ATB in favor of a more modern “cool-down/charge-up” system as seen in (da-dada-DAA) mmos, where the move determines your speed.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Chip I just had a chance to really dig in to your idea, and it’s pretty cool! Although I figured they were going to scrap ATB in favor of a more modern “cool-down/charge-up” system as seen in (da-dada-DAA) mmos, where the move determines your speed.

Yaaaaaaay! <3

Top Bottom