Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

Lex

Administrator
Where is this analysis? I'd like to see it.
He's still editing it :monster:

Should be out tonight :) EDIT: tomorrow, I meant tomorrow *whistles*

Don't steal my thunder! >_<

I wouldn't worry too much, they're likely to be very different styles. Force and I go through frame-by-frame and discuss things as they come up, there's only minor editing so it had much more of a "presentation" type feel to any traditional video. It's about an hour long.

Feel free to hop on board with the team and make one of your own for the TLS channel though :P

Last edited:

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I wouldn't worry too much, they're likely to be very different styles. Force and I go through frame-by-frame and discuss things as they come up, there's only minor editing so it had much more of a "presentation" type feel to any traditional video. It's about an hour long.
I wasn't being serious anyway ^^
Not sure how long my video will be, but I'm splitting the analysis up into 2 parts again (scenes & battle). Both in total probably more than 1 hour.

Feel free to hop on board with the team and make one of your own for the TLS channel though :P
I started to include a shout out for TheLifestream.net in my introductions to make my videos compatible with this site (suggestion by Flintlock).
It reads: "For those who don’t know, TheLifestream.net is a fan site dedicated to bringing you Final Fantasy VII news and extensive in-depth information about the game’s universe and beyond. You can find their website in the description down below."
This way, featuring my videos on the front page (or even on your YouTube channel?) becomes a possibility.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Idea: They never abandon the motorcycle and buggy until they reach the swamp. That way, if they have the world map implemented, they can use the vehicles to explain why the distance is so "small" between places.

I fully understand this is a half-baked idea I'm simply putting here, but I thought it interesting.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Idea: They never abandon the motorcycle and buggy until they reach the swamp. That way, if they have the world map implemented, they can use the vehicles to explain why the distance is so "small" between places.

I fully understand this is a half-baked idea I'm simply putting here, but I thought it interesting.

I'd rather compromise and have the use of roads/freeways as fast travel be a trial by g-bike combat.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
What about after the swamp though? Surely that’s just as long of a trek? Or will Chocobo a become more permanent after that point? Hmmm...

The things they are probably pulling their hair out over at S-E headquarters is monumental. No wonder we’ve only seen Midgar so far.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
What about after the swamp though? Surely that’s just as long of a trek? Or will Chocobo a become more permanent after that point? Hmmm...

The things they are probably pulling their hair out over at S-E headquarters is monumental. No wonder we’ve only seen Midgar so far.

Those are the points where you just throw realistic logic out the window and do what's best for player enjoyment. RE2 is the most realistic the Resident Evil franchise has ever gotten, but it hasn't done away with loading people down with way more equipment than they should be able to carry (Even if you have to earn ammo pouches) and they still have the physics-defying storage boxes.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
The only reason I bring up the motorcycle and buggy is to keeping it around a little longer logically with the excuse to use it as lore justification for the world map.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The only reason I bring up the motorcycle and buggy is to keeping it around a little longer logically with the excuse to use it as lore justification for the world map.

Nah. I'd rather just have continued use of the G-Bike mini game. They put a ...decent amount of effort into the mobile version, and with some adjustment (MAKE IT NOT A TEMPLE RUN WITH THREE LANE OPTIONS) and it'd be a perfect alternative to open-world zones.

The world map is dead. Let it rest in peace damnit.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I did say IF they do the world map, the idea should be done....

And until they confirm or deny either way, it's perfectly fine to speculate about it.

Solordinn

Lv. 25 Adventurer
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So who kind of thinks this might be a good basis for a world map/zone in either ff7 remake or ff16 (whenever that is)

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I feel like that would be more work for relatively little gain for FF7R. 16 on the other hand, yes. Provided 15 didn't make them gunshy again.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Hello everybody! I haven’t posted here in eight (8!) years, so I’m happy to see that my account still works!

Despite loving the OG and (parts) of the Compilation, I was never too excited about the remake. Then the State of Play trailer dropped, and now it’s my most anticipated game by a significant margin! I just finished replaying the OG last night, and that got me thinking about the gameplay in the remake. Here are some things I'd like to see/am excited about:
  • Adding some way to save your favourite materia combinations and equip them to different characters would be cool.
  • This is a gimme, but better endgame character balance would be nice.
  • More materia, especially command and support materia.
  • Speaking of materia, I wonder how they’re going to handle all the different types of counter materia.
  • I can’t wait to see how unique each character feels in an arpg.
  • I really hope Tifa doesn’t use slots for her limit. Mostly because I suck at them.
I apologize if any of this has been discussed before, I’m a little late to the party :mon:

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
What about the State of Play trailer got you excited that the old trailers didn't, just out of curiosity?
Hmm, good question. I think the simplest way to put it is that the old trailers seemed like they were for a pretty good-looking, modern game rather than a remake of FFVII. If you took Cloud and Barret out of those trailers, I'm not so sure I'd know what they were for right away. Some elements in the announcement trailer were a little too sci-fi, like the buildings and the passenger train. The PSX 2015 trailer was too serious and dark (in both tone and lighting). It was like they got close to feeling like FFVII, but lost a lot of the magic on the way.

The State of Play trailer seemed to fix all these problems; it was brighter, it was more colourful, and the combat looked more interesting. The art direction was on point, with recognizable enemies, older buildings, and retro cars. On top of that, it just seemed like a better all-around game now. The performances (facial and vocal) were better. The gameplay was smoother. The effects were flashier, but still evoked the original (that Cross Slash effect is just perfect).

And finally, it seems like a real game now. "More information in June" was the perfect way to end it.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Hey, welcome back!

Honestly, I'm not entirely sold on what I've seen so far. I completely agree with your assessment of the teaser trailer, but I need to see a bit more. I am currently loving the animation style and, as you said, "colourful" look to everything. Oddly enough, it was the version of Aps that almost made me stand up out of my chair and cheer.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Once I got over the density of the trailer — how insanely quick it’s cut — I would agree this is a major step in the right direction and I’m surprised in retrospect that I wasn’t more critical of the PSX trailer. Then again anything that half-resembles FF7 is basically frameable to me.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I definitely noted the darkness in the old trailer, but I kind of chalked it up to artistic direction. I figured there was an intent to be dark and sickly in Midgar, and that they would brighten things considerably once the party leaves the city.

Interestingly, I found an old video I made whereupon I commented about that trailer something along the lines of how I'd hoped for a different style that more aptly bridged the gap between the cartoony polygonal look of the original game and that of Advent Children. So I am happy to report to my past self that they seem to be going in that direction now.

::past self gives present self a high five::

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I wonder if we'll see Cid's famous high-steppin' run? That would be funny seeing it in full HD like that. And more of the bike and truck for the group after leaving Midgar could work, just have them usable until you reach the swamp. It would make sense to have the road end there and thus present the need for a chocobo that could get through places the vehicles can't and outrun the Zolom. Which, now that I think about it, could be turned into its own minigame. You would have to outrun and outmaneuver the Zolom until you get out of the swamp or it'll overtake you and you have to fight it, maybe with an opportunity to escape after doing a set amount of damage rather than killing it, which could be made to be impossible at this point in the game, you would just keep hitting it enough to escape each time it caught up to you, and if it knocks everyone out it would be game over, not just starting back at the beginning of the swamp, thereby increasing the stakes. This approach would also, I think, add impact to the group's discovery of Sephiroth's handiwork at the entrance to the Mythril Mines—after finally escaping the swamp and the snake beast they couldn't even come close to actually killing, they find one dead and impaled on a tree like in the OG, thus illustrating Sephiroth's sheer strength through the fact that he was able to so utterly destroy a beast Cloud and the others could barely survive an encounter with at this point.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Cool ideas! Although in the OG you only start back at the beginning of the swamp if the zolom “removes” a party member — the fact that their HP is above 0 is why you are revived.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Cool ideas! Although in the OG you only start back at the beginning of the swamp if the zolom “removes” a party member — the fact that their HP is above 0 is why you are revived.

Oh ok, I forgot about that. Makes sense, though. Glad you like the ideas, I just felt making the Zolom chase more involved and interactive would be a better way to go.

Top Bottom