Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
Not sure this is already confirmed, but are all changing accessories represented in the in-game cutscenes, like weapons, materia-slots and probably different outfits? Because, the quality they're aiming for is insane. The Air Buster fight is maybe everthing we need for that conclusion... MAN, THIS IS KOJIMA-LEVEL OF AWESOMENESS!!!

Purple

Charmed
I have a question about the mechanics of the gameplay

you have two ATBs right? So if you use a skill that only consumes 1 ATB can you stack it with another skill that also uses 1 ATB? Will that happen in succession as was the case in FFXIII?

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover

you have two ATBs right? So if you use a skill that only consumes 1 ATB can you stack it with another skill that also uses 1 ATB? Will that happen in succession as was the case in FFXIII?
When we look at the gameplay presentation, where Tactical Mode was introduced, Cloud had full ATB bars and executed the Braver attack immediately. The option to choose attacks in consecution, would require extra confirmation from the player, but I didn't see something like this.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The Buster Sword is not Cloud's ultimate weapon. And it shouldn't be. The sword is simply not the strongest weapon nor a weapon that seemingly evolves. It has sentimental value and worth due to who it's attached to. But shoehorning it as the strongest sword just because of how Zack saw it only makes Cloud a copycat and flies in the face of the original.

Cloud replaces the Buster Sword as his primary weapon eventually and makes his own weapon. He's not going to just use it forever despite other better weapons existing.

The Buster Sword is not Cloud's ultimate weapon. And it shouldn't be. The sword is simply not the strongest weapon nor a weapon that seemingly evolves. It has sentimental value and worth due to who it's attached to. But shoehorning it as the strongest sword just because of how Zack saw it only makes Cloud a copycat and flies in the face of the original.

Cloud replaces the Buster Sword as his primary weapon eventually and makes his own weapon. He's not going to just use it forever despite other better weapons existing.

*Cloud battling Sephiroth at the end of OG, as visualized in Advent Children*

33W0G3B.png

:monster:

In other words I don't think that Cloud's choice of sword is that big a deal: It is what the player chooses. Outside of that the Buster Sword is iconic which is why it's Cloud's sword of choice for both the flashback above and for Cloud's crossover appearances in Kingdom Hearts and in mobile games.

I do hope however that, in FFVIIR, that the stats of the Buster Sword will increase after you see the full flashback to Zack's fate in Shinra Manor. It would be analogous to how the stats of the Masamune increases in Chrono Trigger after Frog/Glenn has his final goodbye with the ghost of Cyrus.

I would even like it if the Buster Sword ends up having the strongest attack stat (after the flashbacks) but that other disadvantages remain such as low speed and the low number of materia slots.

NeithOF

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Nathan
Didn't @Vyzzuvazzadth speculate on that in one of his recent vids? Makes complete sense to me.
They showed 3 ATB bars in the 2017 screenshots plus some of the skills they showed in shortcuts in the latest trailer required 2 ATB bars despite gameplay being from early in the game. I imagine that later we'll get more ATB bars and stronger skills and spells will require more than 2 ATB too, it wouldn't make sense otherwise. Giving you only 2 ATB bars for the entirety of the game would be too restrictive.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer

You can't set up multiple actions in a queue like in FFXIII as far as I can tell, but you can combo pretty easily. In the gameplay demo Cloud comboed Braver into Focused Thrust just using shortcuts. Looks really cool (should be at 3:02 in this video):

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections

It wasn't the strongest weapon in the original. But that doesn't necessarily mean that has to also be true in the remake. Things are not going to be 1:1 identical between the two. And we don't know what parts of CC's story aside from the Nibelheim incident will be included in the remake's canon, if any, so we don't know if we'll know if Zack saw the sword in any particular way or if Angeal ever even existed in the remake's canon. There's no reason Buster can't at least be upgradable even if it's not the strongest. The mechanics of the original need not exclusively define how things like this work in the remake. Assuming Buster can only be just a starting weapon in the remake just because that's what it was in the original doesn't make a lot of sense.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
In other words I don't think that Cloud's choice of sword is that big a deal: It is what the player chooses. Outside of that the Buster Sword is iconic which is why it's Cloud's sword of choice for both the flashback above and for Cloud's crossover appearances in Kingdom Hearts and in mobile games

Also, that one-in-one is a spiritual battle. The physical weapon Cloud may have had would be irrelevant. It's only a visualization and projection for his spirit to use.

And honestly, Cloud's Buster Sword isn't the only iconic weapon of his. The Ultima Weapon is showcased in the Dissidia series along with the Forcestealer. Those swords certainly have permanence and notoriety among FF fans as well. The Buster Sword is the most iconic but not the only one.

It wasn't the strongest weapon in the original. But that doesn't necessarily mean that has to also be true in the remake. Things are not going to be 1:1 identical between the two. And we don't know what parts of CC's story aside from the Nibelheim incident will be included in the remake's canon, if any, so we don't know if we'll know if Zack saw the sword in any particular way or if Angeal ever even existed in the remake's canon. There's no reason Buster can't at least be upgradable even if it's not the strongest. The mechanics of the original need not exclusively define how things like this work in the remake.

If the Buster Sword can be upgraded ala the Kingdom Key in KH3 and allowed to be relevant that way, not as the strongest weapon but a solid well-rounded weapon with a unique and helpful passive ability, that would be cool and acceptable.

But it would be a glaring and unnecessary change which needlessly flies in the face of the OG, to shoehorn the Buster Sword as the strongest weapon of all. It simply isn't,
It never was. It was Zack's final weapon and Cloud isn't Zack.

Crisis Core shouldn't be changing the reality of the game because this isn't Zack's story nor a sole testament to him. The weapon Cloud picks up after killing Ultima Weapon is his Ultimate Weapon. A blade of energy obtained from slaying one of the strongest monsters is Cloud's strongest sword. Each character finding their strongest weapon with unique and powerful properties and appearances is one of the most iconic elements of FFVII. That doesn't get to be replaced for Cloud because of Zack.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
If the Buster Sword can be upgraded ala the Kingdom Key in KH3 and allowed to be relevant that way, not as the strongest weapon but a solid well-rounded weapon with a unique and helpful passive ability, that would be cool and acceptable.

Yes I like this idea.

Ultima Weapon is definitely the best weapon if you can keep Cloud's HP at maximum. The drop in power is quite substantial when Cloud's HP is low however. In that sense, your safer bet might be to equip Ragnarok to avoid the HP-dependant damage output.

If you take a look at the so-called "Ultimate Weapons" in the original game some of them are quite flawed/cumbersome because of how their performance depends on current character stats. Barret's Missing Score is quite weak unless you are equipped with materia that's gained lots of AP.

But yes we agree that Cloud's weapon of choice is, by and large, an arbitrary matter.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I expect and hope they get rid of the overly cartoony weapons, I'm happy with Heaven's Cloud and Ragnarok being Cloud's last swords.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Considering the heaps of Elixirs and Megalixirs you obtain during end game, coupled with Regen, White Wind, X-Potions and more, keeping Cloud at full life really isn't that big deal. FFVII gives you ample ways of obtaining and maintaining HP.

Certain other Ultimates have harder hoops to leap through but by and large the stats are worth it.

I expect and hope they get rid of the overly cartoony weapons, I'm happy with Heaven's Cloud and Ragnarok being Cloud's last swords.

Define cartoony. Are you referring to the joke weapons each character has?

Because those weren't the last weapons characters could get. And I doubt they would remove the joke weapons anyways since they're iconic too. Like.. Cloud's Nail-bat.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Cartoony as in, not just exaggerated longsword and kitchenknives but weapons that are entirely based in fantasy, like Cloud's Apocalypse and to a lesser extent Ultimate Weapon. Barret is probably shedding the weapons that make him a melee fighter, the others could lose an equal amount of weapoms

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I highly doubt any of Cloud's weapons would be abandoned because they're fantastical. That's part of the variety and aesthetic of the game. And weapons like the Ultima Weapon are iconic and showcased even today.

Barret's melee weapons are an interesting case though. Maybe they would stay to feature a different melee oriented play style for him or they would be dropped entirely. I could see either happening, honestly.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Cartoony as in, not just exaggerated longsword and kitchenknives but weapons that are entirely based in fantasy, like Cloud's Apocalypse and to a lesser extent Ultimate Weapon. Barret is probably shedding the weapons that make him a melee fighter, the others could lose an equal amount of weapoms
Let’s call it Final Reality VII: Remake, then.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Barret has become integral to gameplay based on his status as a longrange fighter, the spike ball arm and the likes are a neccesary sacrifice.
Was referring more to Cloud’s more fantastical weapons.

Top Bottom