• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I think tac mode would have to be sacrificed in favour of shortcuts, or having it act more like KH style menu. That, or have each characters movements limited to a certain pool that you have to pre-assign before the fight.

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Ah see i hadnt really thought of that. I would say you would have to use the shortcuts. Maybe with the ps5 they could add voice commands?

Again i havent played the remake

Voice command, is that a thing that PS4 can do? How did I not know this? #filthycasual

Voice command would you to diversify your spellcasting for sure, as long as it recognized what you were telling it. (Is it fee-rayga or fire'gah?). Otherwise, the only character I can play with shortcuts properly is Tifa. I just loved tac mode so much I kept using it like I was directing a FF7 version of 300. This! Is! Midgar!

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
I just loved tac mode so much I kept using it like I was directing a FF7 version of 300. This! Is! Midgar!

I look so forward to just sitting in tac mode when you happen to activate it in a epic moment in battle. It looks like it really gives you time to appreciate the hard work they put in to the game. With that said one thing that kinda bugged me as i watched the demo was how much sparks flew when cloud swung his sword.

Ok what about this what if they made the pvp more of an arcade game in gold saucer. It could be turn based with an atb like the OG but with better graphics, or keep it polygons like the OG. They could either make it so you gain limits, abilities, and materia as you progress through the main game.

Or they could make it so that the more you play the "arcade" pvp game the more you gain exp based off of performance for lvls and stats. They could make summons and materia attainable through achievements in the game. As in maybe you get Phoenix summon after so many deaths or revivals. Ifrit after so many fire spells. Ramuh after so many lightnings. I could go on and on but think you get the point.

I guess it doesnt even have to be pvp. I could just be a mini game to gain some currency for purchases in the gold saucer. If thats the case it could have a story like progression to it.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Replaying this again, one thing I wish they'd add is a way to save equipment+materia builds per character. Switching from one build to another is painfully manual.

It’s funny, my OCD hated how weapons kept their materia set ups even when de-equipped, I needed them empty for some reason. I made it somehow more painful for myself lol. But at least I stopped getting those “Um, someone reserved this materia” messages... as often.

Now that my save file has a jillion copies of every materia (except magnify :sob:) I bet I could fill every weapon with a “build.” But there’s nothing to use it on...

leowhy77

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
LeoWHY
I guess how the materia load out preference will be different from one person to another. But for sure the more flexible and options available the better :)
Personally i've been thinking a bit how to minimize the frequency of swapping materia between the characters. I think it's partially doable with certain limitations of course (example weapons must have already get 6 slots, must always wear armor with 4 slors <-- despite certain defense deficit, etc...)
I know this is against the "character flexi built" and we built the best combo based on situation though...

Reactions: Ite

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Been reading through Frank Herbert's Dune series in preparation for that new Dune movie. As such, if there's any enemy I'd like to see upgraded to a boss fight in a future part, it'd be the OG's Land Worm. Can't say for certain if Land Worm is a nod to Dune's sandworm, but considering all the reference points FF7 uses for its enemy design, who knows. Maybe it wouldn't even be a real boss, instead you have to distract Land Worms by using thumpers as you cross the Corel desert!

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
Voice command, is that a thing that PS4 can do? How did I not know this? #filthycasual

Voice command would you to diversify your spellcasting for sure, as long as it recognized what you were telling it. (Is it fee-rayga or fire'gah?). Otherwise, the only character I can play with shortcuts properly is Tifa. I just loved tac mode so much I kept using it like I was directing a FF7 version of 300. This! Is! Midgar!

Please no. I'm having visions of my kids screaming at the TV more than they do already.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
When it was announced that FF7 remake would just focus on Midgar, I had personally hoped that the game would be presented as an open-world environment where you could travel between sectors using the railway system or riding a motorcycle.
Then I played FF7 remake, which wasn't open-world. I found it was a bit of a shame at first, then shrugged it off and enjoyed the game.
Then I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4, and now I'm really glad then didn't attempt to make FF7 remake an open-world game. Working with a more limited scope really allowed SE to deliver a much more polished product, it's really obvious now.
That kind of reinforces the idea that they should probably follow the model of FFXII for the next installments.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
They can save that open world stuff for the later installments.

After XV, I am pretty satisfied with open world FFs for awhile. :monster:

There's an elegance in having the experience enriching, tight and polished. Which is what this game delivered.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I’m really hoping Water, Earth, Light/Holy, and Darkness (especially since the early leaks showed Darkness was briefly part of early builds of the first installment) get added as elements to future installments’ gameplay, feels weird for Leviathan to be a non-elemental summon.

Also would be cool if Summons get regional variants (like how Bahamut had upgrades in the OG) like a Wutai version of Leviathan, or a Northern Continent variant of Shiva, a furry/beast version of Ifrit for Cosmo Canyon, and maybe a “modern” Shinra version of Alexander paired with an Ancient Cetra version of Alexander, etc.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sephiroth's last elemental infusion in the last phase of the final battle is Darkness. Which allows him to cast Shadow Flare.

Like... It may not be an actual gameplay element but the game treats it like it is. So they must have scrapped Darkness element late in development.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I definitely wanted more Midgar shown than there was here, but there is always the last part when you can return to the Slums or even when you do need to go back at the end. Hopefully we get to see at least one other Sector in this project.

While it sucks that the game is being spread apart unlike the original, I understand why and I'm happy that SE is taking care of this game and not using it for a quick buck. They could've easily remade the game into one game, but there would've been a lot of things cut for lack of time like enemy representation, graphics, etc. Not even REmake 2 had to make some cuts around the corners like merging the Sewers and Factory into each other or cut enemies like Spiders. Cyberpunk 2077 (and FFXV for that regard) were great examples of overly-ambitious projects that got too big for each studio. There was a reason why Nomura originally wanted Versus XIII to be a trilogy when he was still on board.

Littlewing

Pro Adventurer
AKA
human
I keep thinking and feeling as far as dodging goes there should just naturally be the ability to strafe and dodge like Link does in the Zelda games when he locks on to an enemy, it’s just weird you can only roll around though I guess everyone is always afraid of somehow infringing on Zelda territory because I imagine this would cause series problems somehow? Lol?

Reactions: Ite

Ite

AKA
Ite
I keep thinking and feeling as far as dodging goes there should just naturally be the ability to strafe and dodge like Link does in the Zelda games when he locks on to an enemy, it’s just weird you can only roll around though I guess everyone is always afraid of somehow infringing on Zelda territory because I imagine this would cause series problems somehow? Lol?

I can understand wanting to be more mobile in a game, especially when you can do so in similar games, but hear me out:

Enemies are supposed to hit the player in a Final Fantasy game, moreso than in action RPGs. Action elements like dodging are series staples now (being in XIV, XV, and now 7R) but the emphasis is still on choosing your abilities within a time limit and executing them, while the enemy does the same.

I’m glad they didn’t go for a more Zelda/Dark Souls direction. Spending my energy on trying not to get hit would have taken away either my enjoyment of the visuals or my focus on choosing abilities. If the ability to strafe and dodge were baked into the game, the combat would have to adjust to make them useful, and that would remove the more FFXII-style combat we see in 7R.

D

Deleted member 13557

Make Red XIII playable.
Being able to switch between the updated OST and the original would be pretty sweet.
Less DoC references.

Last edited by a moderator:

Highwind

Pro Adventurer
I'm on my 3rd playthrough right now and while grinding the Colosseum battles I thought it would be really cool and way less repetitive if there was a something like a "VR Battle Creator", so you could create your own challenges. For example fighting against three Sahagins + three M.O.T.H. Units + four 3rd Class SOLDIERs, or something, I dunno. :D
Maybe you could choose from every enemy you defeated or assessed during your playthrough. Realistically that would probably exclude bosses, because of their unique behavior and phases. It would be pretty fun to fight more than one boss at the same time, though.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Yeah, photo mode is what brought the thought up.

Also the fact that for the Weiss and Sonon/Yuffie Top Secrets fight, dodging becomes really important. I learned how to time the dodges, but I figure it would have felt a lot more fair if I could see the characters clearly on screen 100% of the time.

Top Bottom