Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Corneo's Dungeon

Pro Adventurer
There's literally so many things to explore in more detail in this game that would please so many people. It's a case of the more detail, the better it is.

Someone mentioned that each location would be in the same layout, but I hope that's not the case. I hope that each location is expanded with lots more side quests and groups to get involved in. Like others have discussed, jobs to do on the side to make money etc.

I do think this game will be insanely good. I didn't massively like FFXV, but I think i will take the better elements of it.

The most important bit is keeping the story alive and each individual characters story, with hopefully a few of the silly bits to go with it. Imagine how good Gold Saucer will be! :aah:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Well each sector is ultimately pizza-shaped, but that’s like saying you can’t have a variety of 40x40 rooms. Each sector of the slums in the OG was its own unique labyrinth of debris, and the plate is a city same as any other. Cloud’s illusion of Sephiroth takes place in a back alley on the plate — extrapolation from that location makes me think of Midgar as absolutely dwarfing Rabanastre in scope and feel.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Was watching the trailer again today and was thinking about how Barret was talking about sacrifice. I'm betting his words are going to come back to haunt him after the plate collapse and Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie are all caught in it. It probably never even occurs to him until that moment that his own statement applied to his team as well. Should lead to some great character moments for him, I think.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
That is the thing I am most excited for. Confronting the mature themes of the game. It's there in the original, but a lot of it is very subtextual. They have time to fully explore the themes and implications now.

Jairus

I'm thinking that the pillar collapse may be moved back or more added before it for us to do so we have more time with Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie (we haven't seen anything yet about that part of the game, by the way). This would give them more opportunities for character development and make their loss later have more of an impact. Ending the first disc with the pillar collapse could be a good way to do it, then start the second disc with Cloud, Barret, and Tifa in the ruined playground right afterward and go from there.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I think one of those discs is probably just a data disc, similar to Red Dead Redemption 2.

That being said, I'm wondering if they won't kill off so many characters in one swoop. They may knock 'em off one at a time, over the course of Midgar.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
After all the parts are released I hope Square patches the final part so those who have the other parts installed can revisit all the earlier locations in full detail.

I'm hoping Midgar is still a playable location you can revisit even in the final part.

Imagine revisiting on the world map a super detailed Midgar worth 2 Blu-ray discs of data.

Jairus

I think one of those discs is probably just a data disc, similar to Red Dead Redemption 2.

That being said, I'm wondering if they won't kill off so many characters in one swoop. They may knock 'em off one at a time, over the course of Midgar.

I suppose that's true about the discs, but we'll just have to wait and see. And you never know, killing them all off at once could still be an effective sucker punch, especially if we've been given as much time and development with them beforehand as I think we will.

Was just thinking about what you said, Tets, but what you forgot is that most games come on only one 1 bluray these days. FFVIIR has 2, and so it's possible that they both could be full of gameplay and content and not just 1 install disc and 1 play disc. In that case, reading from the disc could be possible, and would be a nod and throwback to the OG and PS1 days, especially if they make the change disc screen similar to the ones from the OG.

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I'm hoping Midgar is still a playable location you can revisit even in the final part.

Imagine revisiting on the world map a super detailed Midgar worth 2 Blu-ray discs of data.

If they follow the structure of the original game, that may be possible.

moodrings

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
moodrings
This is big picture stuff that obviously encompasses the entire series.

I want to see summons more fleshed out and tied into the lore of the game.

FF7 stands out amongst the FF series as being the one that doesn’t really use summons for narrative purposes. They’re just kind of “there” in the original.

And that’s totally cool. I’m not asking for the narrative/story to be adapted to where summons are of equal importance to games like FFIX, X, or XV. I’d just like them to be a bit more fleshed out almost akin to how things were in FFXII. The summons themselves weren’t really huge players in the narrative but they had very fleshed out lore, interesting backstories, and you had to fight them in order to claim their power which added interesting side content to the game.

My dream would be to expand on the Knights of the Round sidequest. I think it would be totally awesome to get a severely underpowered version of KoR materia in Part 1 of this series and have a side quest for it that spans multiple games and locations in order to “restore” or “upgrade” it to the summon materia we all know and love from the original.

Just my thoughts and it’s probably not perfect.

TL;DR flesh out summons in the remake

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
You know since it's Father's Day, I think it would be interesting to have a contrast between fathers in the remake. Hojo compared to Barret.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
In terms of localization I hope the term "Gaia" won't worm its way into the official English script (outside of Gaea's Cliff). Bugs me they even put it in the FFVII trophy list. :shifty:
FFVII's planet doesn't have a canon name and "Gaia" irrationally annoys me to this day :wacky:

THIS THIS THIS. Looks good so far, Wedge’s 2015 “Yee’re dooin this fer the Playnet” and Barret’s 2019 “This one’s fo this PLANET!!” are what we’ve heard, and the private E3 demo has Barret talking about the Planet’s blood — that would be the moment to shoehorn in the word Gaia, and no one who saw it reported that (and I imagine it would be something that they’d flag).

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I hope there are more bits of Crisis Core included in it. Even if it's documents like in Final Fantasy 15. Part 1 would be perfect for that

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I never had a problem with the "Gaia" name. It's a perfectly fine name for an FF world, and FFVII's in particular. What annoys me is that it apparently isn't canon and never was, yet numerous official English resources carried on as though it were -- and in my ignorance of the truth years back, I participated in and perpetuated that misunderstanding.

There's flavoring stuff for localization purposes, and then there's just plain making shit up.

If the name of Gaia becomes a name for the planet in the remake then they better adopt it wholesale: Include it in-game AND in both Japanese and English versions. None of these dubious English-marketing-material only (+ a trophy) shenanigans.

On the topic of FFVII planets, I'm not sure if I want FFVIIR to definitively model its solar system after ours. In the OG it was definitely the same as our solar system, except with Earth being replaced by "the Planet/planet". This was obvious both from Bugenhagen's observatory (mostly) and from Sephiroth's Supernova attack.

On one hand, the environmentalist theme in FFVII makes it appropriate to depict that world as a sort of cousin to our world. Mirroring our solar system makes the analogs/themes feel closer to home. On the other hand it seems lazy to give FFVII, at least visually, copies of our Venus, Mars, Jupiter etc.

Sephiroth's Supernova attack is iconic so I doubt they'd drastically change it to include the destruction of nameless planets completely unfamiliar to our own. Still possible though that there may end up being a greater distinction between the solar system seen in Bugenhagen's observatory (the "actual" FFVII solar system) versus the quasi-real solar system shown as being destroyed in Sephiroth's Supernova attack.

Looking forward to see what direction they take this in.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I never had a problem with the "Gaia" name. It's a perfectly fine name for an FF world, and FFVII's in particular. What annoys me is that it apparently isn't canon and never was, yet numerous official English resources carried on as though it were -- and in my ignorance of the truth years back, I participated in and perpetuated that misunderstanding.

There's flavoring stuff for localization purposes, and then there's just plain making shit up.

I just say calling it Gaia would be better worldbuilding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom