Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Its not an exact copy, but the creators aren't going to add in elements completely at odds and divergent with the game and it's original style. FFVII allowed players all the time they needed to prep and explore the world once all resources were afforded to them. It would be poor game design to suddenly add a limiter to the portion of the game most open and explorable.

That time limit worked for Lightning Returns because it was introduced right from the start and shaped the entire gameplay experience. Same goes for Majora's Mask. Adding a time limit element to the last portion of the game, the most difficult portion of the game, would be ridiculous.

How would that work with the Weapons? How would that work with back-traveling to pick up items that may have been missed? It just simply is at odds with the exploration element they stated they wanted to emphasis with this remake.

They're mythological personifications of the planet. They're not literally the proper name OF the planet. All these names just mean earth, land. They all date from a period when nobody knew that our planet was just one among many. Mother Earth, Terra Mater, is no different from Fatherland and it doesn't mean "Land" is the name of this planet. We call it Earth, but once upon a time it simple was the earth, the land, the soil. According to Crisis Core, the mythological personification of the planet - the goddess - is not Gaia but Minerva.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Regardless of mythological origin or not, the naming and deification of the world speak to the tendency of humans to anthropomorphize and name something the are connected to.

Anthropologically speaking, most cultures see the earth as something alive and to be respected. Tribal cultures do this directly while pagan religions attributed the world or earth to a god or goddess.

Regardless of the reason or understanding of the planetary system, people named the concept of world they inhabited. How They did so was unique to the culture and age they lived in. And it makes sense that a culture that placed so much emphasis and acknowledgement on the planet being a living and conscious entity, such as the Cetra, would have a name to connect to the planet they're speaking with.

Also, while Minerva is the name of the Goddess who represents the will of the Lifestream in CC, we have no idea if that's her only name, her only form, or if there are other personifications or versions of her that reperesent the same concept.

Bahamut is a summon beast yet there are at least 6 separate incarnations of him born from the planet. Whether these represent alternate evolutions or stages of its growth are unknown, but seeing as how Minerva is akin to a summon creature born from the entire planet, it wouldn't be surprising if it went by other names or changed based on the flow and composition of the Lifestream.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Its not an exact copy, but the creators aren't going to add in elements completely at odds and divergent with the game and it's original style. FFVII allowed players all the time they needed to prep and explore the world once all resources were afforded to them. It would be poor game design to suddenly add a limiter to the portion of the game most open and explorable.

That time limit worked for Lightning Returns because it was introduced right from the start and shaped the entire gameplay experience. Same goes for Majora's Mask. Adding a time limit element to the last portion of the game, the most difficult portion of the game, would be ridiculous.

How would that work with the Weapons? How would that work with back-traveling to pick up items that may have been missed? It just simply is at odds with the exploration element they stated they wanted to emphasis with this remake.

With the Weapons, is the only thing I'd worry about. The sidequest stuff, I wouldn't mind doing that after the final boss. Making it seem like we only have so much time after meteor starts falling is a cool idea. It really does make it seem like the planet will be destroyed if we don't finish in time. If we don't, having meteor crush the planet could be a really cool game over animation. Same thing as having Supernova as a game over move, when facing Sephiroth.

But, if they want to put more emphasis on exploration, then never mind what I said about meteor

Regardless of mythological origin or not, the naming and deification of the world speak to the tendency of humans to anthropomorphize and name something the are connected to.

Anthropologically speaking, most cultures see the earth as something alive and to be respected. Tribal cultures do this directly while pagan religions attributed the world or earth to a god or goddess.

True. But the name they give it is the name of the personification, not the name of the ball of rock hurtling through space.

Regardless of the reason or understanding of the planetary system, people named the concept of world they inhabited. How They did so was unique to the culture and age they lived in. And it makes sense that a culture that placed so much emphasis and acknowledgement on the planet being a living and conscious entity, such as the Cetra, would have a name to connect to the planet they're speaking with.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of all cultures everywhere, if not indeed all of them, have named the earth, Earth, or whatever earth is in their language. Just as we can use the term interchangeably as the name of the planet and a synonym for soil. I mean if you want to argue that the word "terra" (for example) began life as a term for the religious personification of the soil and was then adopted as a word meaning soil, land, I'm open to hearing it, but I'll need to see some proof, since it seems more likely that the evolution of meaning would have gone from concrete object to abstract personification.

Also, while Minerva is the name of the Goddess who represents the will of the Lifestream in CC, we have no idea if that's her only name, her only form, or if there are other personifications or versions of her that reperesent the same concept.

Bahamut is a summon beast yet there are at least 6 separate incarnations of him born from the planet. Whether these represent alternate evolutions or stages of its growth are unknown, but seeing as how Minerva is akin to a summon creature born from the entire planet, it wouldn't be surprising if it went by other names or changed based on the flow and composition of the Lifestream.

Yes. I don't see what that has to do with my point. My point is that the name Gaea only appears in the OG in the context of a single geographical feature and could just as easily refer to a person or to a deity who is the personification of the planet rather than the planet itself. Nevertheless, the only "goddess" explicitly associated with the world of FFVII is Minerva. Minerva could certainly go by other names and it might turn out that SE had decided one of her names should be Gaea, but that would all involve a greater elaboration of their world's religious lore than we currently have. The people of FFVII have no religion (except for the Wutaians); all they have are the relics of a religion everyone seems to have forgotten.[/QUOTE]

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
You can get some of it in a pre-order with the game.
I ordered the deluxe edition, so I'm getting it... I more meant are they just redoing the old soundtrack? or will new songs be added in? I think if they add content from Crisis Core, Before Crisis, etc, they should add redone songs from those games as well

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Oddly, they don't seem to intent on giving us those details. So either the score is still actively being composed, or they are trying to let the in-game moments be the first we hear of the official new music.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Oddly, they don't seem to intent on giving us those details. So either the score is still actively being composed, or they are trying to let the in-game moments be the first we hear of the official new music.
Hopefully they add more then. As much as I'm looking forward to the games, I'm looking forward to the ost even more

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
There’s the new tune from the trailers, which has a slow, “dungeon” version (included in the PS4 skin) and a mission impossible style battle version, heard in the trailers. After a billion listens, I notice it’s reminiscent of “Beyond the Wasteland” from Advent Children, and I can pick out the Main Theme’s motif near the end (it plays during the E3 trailer when Cloud says “you’re not real”). Both versions are probably included in the “mini” soundtrack.

I can also guess it would include the Opening, Bombing Mission, Shinra Inc., Mako Reactor, Mako Reactor Battle Theme (!!), Those Who Fight, and Scorpion Sentinel, all of which are heard in the private demo. We’ve also heard 14 bars of the Main Theme (beginning of extended E3 trailer) as well as short arrangements of the Main Theme and Aeris’ Theme sprinkled throughout the trailers.

I used to work night shift at a subway-esque restaurant, alone, and I’d hook up my discman to the radio and blast my burned FF7 CDs. To say that I will enjoy this remade soundtrack is an extreme understatement :P

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
There’s the new tune from the trailers, which has a slow, “dungeon” version (included in the PS4 skin) and a mission impossible style battle version, heard in the trailers. After a billion listens, I notice it’s reminiscent of “Beyond the Wasteland” from Advent Children, and I can pick out the Main Theme’s motif near the end (it plays during the E3 trailer when Cloud says “you’re not real”). Both versions are probably included in the “mini” soundtrack.

I can also guess it would include the Opening, Bombing Mission, Shinra Inc., Mako Reactor, Mako Reactor Battle Theme (!!), Those Who Fight, and Scorpion Sentinel, all of which are heard in the private demo. We’ve also heard 14 bars of the Main Theme (beginning of extended E3 trailer) as well as short arrangements of the Main Theme and Aeris’ Theme sprinkled throughout the trailers.

I used to work night shift at a subway-esque restaurant, alone, and I’d hook up my discman to the radio and blast my burned FF7 CDs. To say that I will enjoy this remade soundtrack is an extreme understatement :P
The battle version I heard from the trailer, sounded like a new version of the original random battle theme. I might've been only paying attention to one though, cause I didn't catch one that sounded like beyond the wasteland though. I'll have to pay attention even closer.

From the og ost, it seems like about 10 songs were used during Midgar. If they don't add more, then hopefully the ost is only like 10-15 bucks

Oh, I'm the same way. I work a desk job so I'm always listening to final fantasy osts. Ive also been working on a double disc album with sampling only songs from ff7 compilation

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I'd like:

BioWare level voice acting, with people like Jennifer Hale and David Hayter involved. (Honestly, I'm not even sure if I would want voice acting at all, but it's not realistic to expect that in this era.) Stick to the narrative from the first game for most of the time, but don't be afraid to change things up here and there, flesh other details out, etc. If it must release in parts, divide the game into the following:

Part One: Midgar, then Kalm, then the whole of the Cloud flashback. This sets the stage for the main quest.
Part Two: Go up until the death of you know who. End with the aftermath bit, which once again sets the stage for the following events.
Part Three: Go up until the end of the game.

To me, that makes narrative sense. I doubt it will go that way, though. Probably closer to four or five parts in total.

Oh, this is a minor thing, but I wouldn't mind learning more about Tifa's martial arts training and her instructor...what was his name, Zangen?

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I'd like:

BioWare level voice acting, with people like Jennifer Hale and David Hayter involved. (Honestly, I'm not even sure if I would want voice acting at all, but it's not realistic to expect that in this era.) Stick to the narrative from the first game for most of the time, but don't be afraid to change things up here and there, flesh other details out, etc. If it must release in parts, divide the game into the following:

Part One: Midgar, then Kalm, then the whole of the Cloud flashback. This sets the stage for the main quest.
Part Two: Go up until the death of you know who. End with the aftermath bit, which once again sets the stage for the following events.
Part Three: Go up until the end of the game.

To me, that makes narrative sense. I doubt it will go that way, though. Probably closer to four or five parts in total.

Oh, this is a minor thing, but I wouldn't mind learning more about Tifa's martial arts training and her instructor...what was his name, Zangen?
I'm sure there's a decent chance you might've discovered this for yourself by now, but one of the few things we have confirmed as of now (besides the release date, obviously) is that the first game (or 'part') will be devoted entirely to Midgar. Which, understandably, has resulted in quite a mixed-bag shockwave of excitement/"this is what I've always wanted!"-s/"how the fuck are they gonna do that w/o padding the hell out of it?"-s/concerns that the balance between Midgar v. rest-of-Planet will be lopsided to the point of awkwardness.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
What are your guys' thoughts on the whole "particular, unique cutscenes/moments/dialogue, depending upon who you've chosen for your party" possibility in this game? Like, would you prefer it if for the most part, the game portrayed everyone as traveling together at all times (ala FFX), or would you get a kick out of seeing active party choice play more of a role (even if its ultimately insignificant) in what you see play out on screen? I know one of the aspects of FFXV that was generally praised across the board was its use of 'Round the Campfire'-type dialogue moments, but that, of course, was a game with a locked group of party members. Unless I've missed something, so far, do we know whether you will have access to the entire cast at any given moment (again, ala FFX), or whether you will be limited to the 3 you've selected for the moment, and able to switch between them alone? I feel like that hasn't been clarified, but again, I very easily could have missed it.

Ok, now I'm rambling, lol. But yeah, what do you guys think as far as how they should handle dat dere stuff??

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I always felt like--of the Final Fantasies I've played--VII took the greatest care to explain what the other characters were doing outside of the party, and then did cool stuff like bring the party together to fight Bizarro-Sephiroth. It's not a lot, but traveling apart for safety and using a phone to change your party by calling them always charmed me.

So to answer your question, my totally ridiculous wish is that we get varied dialogue based on who's in our party and who's not. So let's say while traveling from Fort Condor to Junon, the player party is Cloud-Tifa-Red XIII and the extras are Yuffie-Barret-Aerith. While you're out in the field, your party banters based on who you have with you. Then, when you get to Junon and everyone meets up, the extras have some unique dialogue such as Barret and Aerith commiserating about how hard it was to stop Yuffie from stealing.

Since that'd be a ton of work though, I'd be fine with keeping banter to the people in your party outside of the scenes with everyone involved.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I always felt like--of the Final Fantasies I've played--VII took the greatest care to explain what the other characters were doing outside of the party, and then did cool stuff like bring the party together to fight Bizarro-Sephiroth. It's not a lot, but traveling apart for safety and using a phone to change your party by calling them always charmed me.

So to answer your question, my totally ridiculous wish is that we get varied dialogue based on who's in our party and who's not. So let's say while traveling from Fort Condor to Junon, the player party is Cloud-Tifa-Red XIII and the extras are Yuffie-Barret-Aerith. While you're out in the field, your party banters based on who you have with you. Then, when you get to Junon and everyone meets up, the extras have some unique dialogue such as Barret and Aerith commiserating about how hard it was to stop Yuffie from stealing.

Since that'd be a ton of work though, I'd be fine with keeping banter to the people in your party outside of the scenes with everyone involved.
I hadn't even considered getting 'meet-back-up' dialogue from the others! That's a great idea--but, like you said, probably something best relegated to the realm of wishful thinking, ha. I personally LOVE(D), especially in the 'text-box' era, seeing how things changed depending on who you have with you. I still remember the first time I just randomly happened to have Vincent in my party, climbing the stairs to the Sister Ray, so that upon confronting le scientifique fou, the climax comes with the much more dramatic: "The one that should have slept...was YOU, Hojo!!" *evil techno beat kicks in*. I know all of this is much harder to do w/ voice acting, but I'm hoping we'll still see un-voiced text to make things like this possible, even more casual 'arriving in new town' moments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom