Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it in another thread but I want to say it here too - I absolutely cannot wait for Junon. I've always loved it, and I really hope they expand it. Of course, part of the reason I love Junon is that there's a lot of Turks and Rufus action going on there, but as a location I think it is stunning.

I wonder if they're going to come up with a plausible rationale for the cannon this time around.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I said it in another thread but I want to say it here too - I absolutely cannot wait for Junon. I've always loved it, and I really hope they expand it. Of course, part of the reason I love Junon is that there's a lot of Turks and Rufus action going on there, but as a location I think it is stunning.

I wonder if they're going to come up with a plausible rationale for the cannon this time around.
Agreed, it would be nice if there was a better rationale for the cannon in canon.

Via Purifico

Pro Adventurer

to defend against Wutai invaders probably

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
In all honesty, I want PS5 to be the native console for the next games. It is such a jump compared to the PS4 Pro, Square can go wild.
Me too. And I actually think they'll have to, so that they could fulfill the ambitions of the 'open world' design. I'm under the impression that for part 1 of FF7 Remake, some of the design decisions had been constrained by technical limitations - for instance, the absence of dynamic lighting.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
That Junon stuff remind me: I hope they nail the open world part of the game properly. In the original, spaces could be small in the overworld because they were representations, not to-scale. How would it work when everything is more or less made real? That's one thing where I don't even know what I would want them to do. I just hope they don't lose any of the original openness and execute it properly.

Incidentally, before Remake came out, I had a wish for the gameplay that I posted here, and was delighted to discover it became true!
In the original, due to how targeting works, you could select enemies and use items on them. You can use Phoenix Downs on ghost enemies and there's a chance it'll kill them. Despite the battle system being changed, this is something they carried over. It's a good attention to the little details that show me that they cared.

Last edited:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I am also hoping for an expanded Junon - it is the biggest city behind Midgar, and has a completely different vibe. I love port towns. I want it to be a bit of a spectacle, sorta like this game's Wallmarket, and I'm also interested in its architecture.

In Part 2, I also want Reno to call Elena "Laney" and Rufus "The Bossman" like he does in basically every English fanfiction. :monster:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Hell, Junon is pretty much the only city besides Midgar. Everywhere else is just a Podunk town or village except for Wutai. I expect the infiltration will be a bigger set piece than just a series of minigames this time.
Think they'll have to expand the Corel area to show that the employees of the Golden Saucer aren't just subsisting in North Corel/Corel Prison shacks and the like.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't know, I always kind of enjoyed how bizarrely dissonant FF7's world is. There's two cities both built by the same mega-corporation within the past ~30 years, and everywhere else seems pre-industrial revolution. Towns like Kalm and Nibelhiem are clearly retrofitted with Mako technology, and barely any vehicles or infrastructure seem to exist. Its like Shinra's technology is some horrible aberration that disrupted the natural order of things.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You just blew my mind right now. There really is like zero market for Shinra to have amassed its power under. I guess you could assume they rose to power and profitibility during the vaguely implied "Pre-Wutai war" war that Cid references once. The issue is that Wutai is the only distinct nation on FF7's world, the other three continents don't have names and have no real unified identity. Shinra seems like the only governing body, but there must have been some other ruling systems in place for a war to have been held when Shinra was just a weapons manufacturer. There's zero trace left in the game of a government outside of Shinra though, they completely dominate the world. VII's world makes no sense when you give it this level of thought.

Cracks knuckles.
Let me tell you about the history of their world which I have developed to explain Shinra's rise to power...
Nah I'm kidding I wouldn't inflict that on you.

An eagle eyed fanfic friend over on tumblr noticed this:

One of the NPCs in Sector 5 near the Community Center remarks: “You know my grandfather helped build the plate!” This dude is probably at least 70 or so, and it was his grandpa doing the building. That’s two generations ago.
Guys. The oldest sections of the Plate are nearly 100yrs old!
Canon Timeline cluster notwithstanding, that would put the earliest sections of the plate c1900. And the architecture of various areas backs this up.

She did a whole analysis of the different architectural styles and their comparative age. Given the loving attention to detail lavished on the air conditioners, I would not be at all surprised to find that the artists who designed Midgar did their research and want us to draw some conclusions regarding Midgar's age and history.

Two of the things I was hoping to see going on in the background of the open world were railways and roads. The party's need to avoid detection is sufficient to explain why they don't travel on the roads or railways; alternatively, they can get the buggy earlier. Or whatever.

I really love how in under-Midgar all the sectors are walled off from each other. Divide and rule! But of course the slums dwellers have blown holes in the walls or tunnelled under them, and Shinra seems unwilling, or uninterested, or incapable of cracking down. Probably all three.

In the OG, it was implied or maybe even stated that Midgar was once seven villages and Shinra built its city on top of them. They have forgotten their names, but they are still attached to their land. Those lines are gone from the remake, and yet we see some architecture in the slums, such as Aerith's church, which is clearly a remnant of better days.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Its established that Midgar was built in 30 years though, isn't it? Shinra's entire rise to power supposedly happened during Presiden't Shinra's lifetime, right? It would make a lot more sense for Midgar and Shinra to be much older, that way you could assume Shinra slowly surplanted the previous power structure across multiple generations, but I'm not sure that's actually the case. Also,
it was implied or maybe even stated that Midgar was once seven villages and Shinra built its city on top of them.
You just made me realize this little lore tidbit was omitted in the Remake.

Well, in the OG canon it was strongly implied that President Shinra built Midgar (in the sense of planning and paying for it), and TBH that photo of him labouring at something that we see in the museum is probably meant to be him getting his hands dirty building on the building site. Man of the people and all. But still, Sector 5 retiree's Grandpa helped build the plate. That's Remake canon.

Last edited:
That would make more sense. I'll check again. I'm happy to be wrong in this instance.
I can't find a video in which Cloud walks right through the Community Centre and talks to everyone. The only line of dialogue I can find relating to a timescale for the building of Midgar is when an older person says, "When I came here years ago the plate was only partially built" (or something very similar).

I guess I'd have to play that chapter again. Oh noes, I'll have to do the Reno battle all over again, what a sad drag, how will I bear it.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Okay. No dialogue for Chapter 14 (no one is in the mood to talk apparently, they just grunt at me lol) but I did go back to Chapter 8 and found the ones I heard before. The dialogue comes from a kid and is triggered near where there's two kids on the ground jumping and one on the roof looking down at them, close to the tunnel.

Let's try and jump to the plate!

Let's jump!

I bet you didn't know, but the plate? It was built by our grandfathers!

Not sure if that's the one they're referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom