Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I dunno if she’d know about that, I think she was just helping hype up the show. Either way, I think the FF16 trailer was when I started accepting that we probably won’t get anything substantial about FF7R until FF16 is out aside from maybe an Xbox/PC port. I hope I’m wrong though!

Something that the original game never states is where Gold Saucer gets all its electricity from. The most reasonable assumption given its location (and where it is built right on top of) would be the Corel reactor. Given Remake's focus on expanding the lore of its locations, I can't imagine that the Gold Saucer will go nearly as unquestioned as in the OG when the Remake gets there.

Maybe Barret will comment on not wanting to visit Gold Saucer because it is run by the very reactor he helped build? The plot may force him to go there anyway, but I hope subsequent Remake games will paint the corrupt and morally questionable aspects of Gold Saucer (not just Corel Prison) more prominently.

I wonder if it will turn out in Remake lore that the Gold Saucer was actually built during the previous four years since Corel was burnt down. In Compilation lore it's been around for way longer, but if Gold Saucer was already around then there must have already been a reactor in the vicinity powering this massive entertainment structure. Somehow that lore assumption about an additional reactor feels messy in my head.

The possibilities are many and I look forward to how lore and plot is interwoven to create the new Gold Saucer-, Corel- and North Corel scenarios.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Do people think that in the Remake, Wutai (the town where Yuffie comes from) will be given a different name from Wutai (the country Yuffie comes from)? Wutai is a serious enemy of Shinra; it can't be composed of just one small town and Fort Tamblin.

I could see it getting its own name, but I could also see it just being referred to as "the main village." Or maybe none of the outlying settlements (other than forts) even have their own names, and they're all just "the village to the southwest/northeast/etc. of Wutai"?

I wonder if it will turn out in Remake lore that the Gold Saucer was actually built during the previous four years since Corel was burnt down. In Compilation lore it's been around for way longer ...

Ah, I forgot about that "Network Shop Duo" thing in CC. What the hell were they thinking ...

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The Gold Saucer was also around in Before Crisis, so it's no surprise it's in Crisis Core.

All that means, is that either they moved the Gold Saucer, or the original Corel was actually closer to that place even when it was just a village.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I bet in the future we will see an extensive system of powerlines even in the middle of nowhere. Because the middle of nowhere is where most of the reactors are. Seeing powerlines everywhere will also serve to exemplify the power of Shinra (no pun intended) and the level of infrastructure they've brought to the world.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
The Gold Saucer was also around in Before Crisis, so it's no surprise it's in Crisis Core.
Was it? There was a gameplay-centered mode that featured it (a PvP version of the Battle Square, if I recall correctly) but I don't remember it coming up in the story at all, and certainly not prior to the Corel incident.

I can't remember whether it's ever referred to in passing, but Gold Saucer doesn't feature as a location in any of the BC episodes.
It'll be interesting to see whether they stick with the same design, or try to make it more realistics, physics-wise.
I learn something new every day, Shademp. Until I read your post I was definitely under the impression that Gold Saucer was built after Corel burnt down, and that it was the new reactor which enabled it to be built there - the irony being, of course, that instead of the reactor bringing the Corelians the easy lives they were promised, it led to the destruction of their home town and its transformation into a desert prison. The amusement park built over it added insult to injury.
Can you tell me where in Compilation lore it states that Gold saucer has been around since before the Corel Incident?

But I don't think it is in Before Crisis.
I just did a search through my complete set of episode scripts and it isn't mentioned anywhere.
However, it's possible I've overlooked something. That's why I'm asking.
(BC starts six years before the OG, but it ends just before the OG begins. If Gold Saucer were featured in the later episodes, which is any episode after, I think, chapter 17, that would be around 3-4 years after the Corel incident, so plenty of time for Gold Saucer to have been built.)

Last edited:
The Twilight Mexican said:
but I don't remember it coming up in the story at all
You are correct, the Gold Saucer doesn't appear to ever come up in the Before Crisis story. I did Ctrl+F searches of the translated script and there is not a single instance of "Gold Saucer" or even just "Saucer".

Going by the blog material jugem (which apparently is back online!) the Gold Saucer mode was added with the release of Chapter 16 in July 2005.

うなぎ食べに行ってるあいだにメンテもその延長も終わって16章のフリーモードが配信。
それに伴いゴールドソーサーも正式オープンしました。

とりあえずフリーモードを選んでみたところ、ゴールドソーサーのレースに出すチョコボを捕まえられるとか。

DeepL translation:
While I was out eating unagi, the maintenance and its extension were over, and Chapter 16 Free Mode was released.
Along with that, the Gold Saucer has officially opened.

I chose Free Mode for the time being, and was told that I could catch chocobos to race in the Gold Saucer.
Battle Square mode didn't come until way later: April 2006.

Chapter 16 takes place while the Corel Reactor is still being built.

*IF* one interprets the timing of when Gold Saucer mode was implemented as the earliest confirmed time for Gold Saucer's existence, then yes it would have existed at least since even before the Corel Reactor was completed. However because GS mode exists outside of the story, there is no rule that says we have to sync it up with a canonical timeline. I also could not find any notes on whether GS mode was always locked to Ch16 and onwards or if it was available at all times after the initial update.

LicoriceAllsorts said:
Can you tell me where in Compilation lore it states that Gold saucer has been around since before the Corel Incident?
EDIT:
Turns out I was wrong and we have a statement that Gold Saucer was only constructed after the Corel incident.

Found now that the Crisis Core Complete Guide Keyword Collection actually provides a straight answer.

Corel

In this game, a village whose name is given as a planned site for a mako reactor. Later, the completed reactor is bombed by AVALANCHE (Elfe group), and the village destroyed in an attack by Shinra to cover up the event. Following this, Shinra would convert the former site of the village into Corel Prison, and construct the Gold Saucer amusement park in the sky above it. The North Corel settlement from “FFVII” is a village built by the people who were driven out of this Corel.
So according to the guide Gold Saucer was "constructed" after the Corel incident.

"Network Shop Duo" as a Gold Saucer shop pre-dating the incident only complicates things slightly.

ULES01044_00345.png

ULJM05275_00071.png

Lord Duo’s online shop based in Gold Saucer.​
ゴールドソーサーを本拠地にしているデュオ様の通販専門店​

This shop is acquired from Mission 9-3-3 which is just below the midway point on the journey that leads to Minerva. This mission is supposed to happen when Zack is still an official SOLDIER 1st Class operative (see mission descriptions), so it's roughly 5 years before the original game and thus predating the burning of Corel.

But even if we take this optional shop seriously, it is conceivable that a proto-version of Gold Saucer once existed and that the giant tree-structure was built only after the Corel incident.

SLPS_007.00_02012021_005450_0298.png

I used to think that "Duo" was just a translation error but now I see that the name is actually different even in Japanese when comparing OG and CC.

Original game:
ディオ = Dio

Crisis Core:
デュオ = Duo

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I never quite got that. The Gold Saucer is in the middle of a giant desert that can't be crossed, the reactor is way up in the mountains. It can't be built on Corel, because the town can't be built in the middle of an impassible desert -the new site in Corel would actually be an improvement.

(It would have to be near the mines in the mountains, right?)

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Gold Saucer is definitely one of those things they won't care to match the compilation much though, given the clear continuity snarl that seems to be taking place. In the OG, when the village is burned, its all mountains and forest, with no golden metal mushroom stalk in sight. No desert either, come to think of it. Then again, building the equivalent of Disneyland in four years also never was all that easy for me to buy so who knows, maybe in this continuity its been around longer.

On the subject of Wutai, I imagine the Wutai town of the OG would be the called something equivalent to the Imperial/Forbidden City of RL China in the Remake, given the Pagoda (which I always presumed was the seat of the Wutai government). Or they make up a name. Especially if they show us other settlements.

I also wonder about Wutai's reach in the remake. In the OG, it seems to be just the one continent, but (judging from Heidegger and President Shinra's conversation) it doesn't seem to be under their thumb either. Lots of mention of the war not really being won yet either. I wonder if the Western (err...Central?) Continent might be divided up between them.

BlueCollarNerd

Pro Adventurer
In the OG, when the village is burned, its all mountains and forest, with no golden metal mushroom stalk in sight. No desert either, come to think of it

Maybe they will write a back story to the desert. Corel was there before shinra burned the town. The deforestation of the area from the fire combined with the effects of the reactor draining the land of its lifestream caused the creation of the desert.

Am i right in believing corel prison is the remains of the original town? I always assumed that the scene where they convince dyne to ok the reactor took place in the same room where you find barrett in the prison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom