Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well that's true. I always just assumed they suffered multiple shots and would bleed out faster. But that's a fair point.

Still, I feel like if the game wanted to portray these folks as dying, they'd have at least had someone acknowledge their "not quite dead" state lol

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Jessie should have had her head blown off at least. She took it in the face from that helicopter from about three meters away.
Also, I have to laugh that every single time someone gets seriously wounded in a life-or-death struggle involving bombs, guns, and swords, their injuries are symbolised by a big bandaid on their cheek.
Blame media agency ratings for that one.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I dunno about that. It's not like she kicked a blitzbomb

Never forget

dltqghxpoevioybnxamk.gif

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
But they've all been shot with heavy arms fire. Would they really just be... Unconscious?

I mean, let's keep in mind that we should be seeing blood, but we aren't simply because of the game's rating. These people have been shot dead by Shinra MPs and attack helicopters. They shouldn't just be rendered unconscious. They should be dead from blood loss or trauma.

Because bullets don't do anything in FF... all weapons in fact are like toy weapons with flashy effects. They're effectively benign but if you whallop someone with them enough eventually it'll have an affect.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Because bullets don't do anything in FF... all weapons in fact are like toy weapons with flashy effects.

Yep. From a gameplay perspective, Barret has a super low attack stat, lower than Cloud and Tifa's. And his default weapon is a gatling gun, one of the most deadly field weapons created by humankind.

(yes I know gameplay =/= story don't @ me)

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Cloud mostly dodges or blocks bullets with his oversized fantasy sword. He isn't just tanking gunfire like the Hulk or Superman.

Gunfire can kill him. He suffered serious injury getting shot in the back in AC. Zack died by bullets. Guns kill people in VII, even SOLDIERs.

Neighborhood Watch members don't have anything close to the ability to withstand gattling fire from a military grade helicopter. Those people shot should be dead or extremely close to it.

The Remake's censored tone towards realistic violence obfuscates the actual bloodshed being depicted in narrative. Ironically, the OG doing the very same thing conveyed the violence properly because the depiction of characters were clearly caricaturized, and the violence could be inferred thanks to players filling in the gaps.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The Remake's censored tone towards realistic violence obfuscates the actual bloodshed being depicted in narrative. Ironically, the OG doing the very same thing conveyed the violence properly because the depiction of characters were clearly caricaturized, and the violence could be inferred thanks to players filling in the gaps.

I was able to infer a lot of violence in Remake :sociopathic death note grin:

My first demo playthrough, an MP seemed to crack his neck on the turnstile after my upswing sent him flying. So brutal

I hope that the game includes a fourth-wall-breaking easter egg for if you have zero materia in your inventory when Yuffie "steals" your materia. A little something for the "No Materia" players out there.

Cloud: "We gotta go after Yuffie and get our materia back."​
Barret: "What are you talking about? We didn't have any materia in the first place."​
Cloud: "HUSH!"​

This raises the question if Yuffie will also steal the White Materia from Aerith or not. If Yuffie does end up stealing even Aerith's most precious materia, then there will always be at least that ONE materia that is stolen even in a No Materia playthrough.

EDIT: It would also be neat if they accounted for the scenario when you had more materia than Yuffie could carry.

Cloud: "She stole our materia!"​
Nanaki: "Well, most of them. I guess she could only carry so many."​

Last edited:
There is neat opportunity for character writing here if they acknowledge the White Materia, whether Yuffie steals it or not.

Scenario: *Yuffie doesn't steal the White Materia*

Cloud: "Hey Aerith, do you still have..."​
*Aerith points to her hair*​
Aerith: "Yes. She didn't take it."​
Barret: "Maybe she's not the elite Materia Hunter she claims to be."​
Aerith: "I think...she couldn't bear to take it. I told her before that it was my mother's."​
Barret: "...Maybe there is hope for the kid."​
EDITED TO ADD:​
Aerith: "I also told her it's perfectly useless."​
Nanaki: "Hmph."​

Last edited:

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
I hope that the game includes a fourth-wall-breaking easter egg for if you have zero materia in your inventory when Yuffie "steals" your materia. A little something for the "No Materia" players out there.

Cloud: "We gotta go after Yuffie and get our materia back."​
Barret: "What are you talking about? We didn't have any materia in the first place."​
Cloud: "HUSH!"​

This raises the question if Yuffie will also steal the White Materia from Aerith or not. If Yuffie does end up stealing even Aerith's most precious materia, then there will always be at least that ONE materia that is stolen even in a No Materia playthrough.

EDIT: It would also be neat if they accounted for the scenario when you had more materia than Yuffie could carry.

That would be pretty cool, lol.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

Leading to ...
Tifa: "We won't even really miss what's gone ..."
Cloud & Barret: "It's the principle of the damn thing!"

There is neat opportunity for character writing here if they acknowledge the White Materia, whether Yuffie steals it or not.

Scenario: *Yuffie doesn't steal the White Materia*

Cloud: "Hey Aerith, do you still have..."​
*Aerith points to her hair*​
Aerith: "Yes. She didn't take it."​
Barret: "Maybe she's not the elite Materia Hunter she claims to be."​
Aerith: "I think...she couldn't bear to take it. I told her before that it was my mother's."​
Barret: "...Maybe there is hope for the kid."​
EDITED TO ADD:​
Aerith: "I also told her it's perfectly useless."​
Nanaki: "Hmph."​
Golden.

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
I think I post this here too since it fits better this thread

regarding Clouds upcoming mental break down in the remake, if you look at Sephiroth's behavior in part one then it might looks like that the story will go in a different direction, because if you compare RE!Seph to OG Seph you can tell that there is now a fundamental difference in his approach to Cloud.
OG Seph didn't acknowledge Cloud as a person so he could manipulate him into doubting his own existence which leads to Clouds ego getting completely shattered, that's why he acted like he didn't know Cloud when he saw him again (or maybe he really didn't recognized him either way) or why he acted surprised when Cloud showed emotions after Aerith died.
RE!Seph on the other hand doesn't seem to go for that because if you look at chapter 2, Sephiroth tells Cloud he killed his mother which means he is confirming to Cloud that yes he is a real boy, which also means it's pretty unlikely that he suddenly will backtrack and try to convince Cloud that everything he suffered 5 years ago because of him isn't real anyway even more so since that memory is something he wants Cloud to remember and hold on to, which conflicts with OG where Sephiroth tells Cloud he was created after the Nibelheim incidence.

Remake Sephiroth seems more focused on making Cloud concentrate on hatred and negative emotions but he also seems to try to guide him to something bigger he has yet to realize, so maybe there is a completely new storyline waiting to happen and the plot from the OG will drastically change?

Last edited:

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
...on the other hand not even Nomura would be that much of a madlad to not do the Cloud identity crisis part. I mean that's literally his arc and probably the best part of the game
I wonder if Zack will have something to do with it this time around, but then again Sephiroth manipulating Cloud to the point till he literally believes he is a clone and all his memories are fake is the reason why their relationship has that psychological horror aspect and what makes it much more personal since Sephiroth successfully fucked with him on such a elemental level.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
if you look at Sephiroth's behavior in part one then it might looks like that the story will go in a different direction, because if you compare RE!Seph to OG Seph you can tell that there is now a fundamental difference in his approach to Cloud.
OG Seph didn't acknowledge Cloud as a person so he could manipulate him into doubting his own existence which leads to Clouds ego getting completely shattered

seph1.png
Fundamentally, he seems to be doing the same thing as in the original. He is making Cloud think he has some epic vendetta to settle against him.

seph2.png
However, the reality is Sephiroth was always using Jenova to make Cloud do his bidding. And with Sephiroth bringing up Nibelheim and telling Cloud to "Hold onto that hatred", it appears the same thing is happening.

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
View attachment 9697
Fundamentally, he seems to be doing the same thing as in the original. He is making Cloud think he has some epic vendetta to settle against him.

View attachment 9698
However, the reality is Sephiroth was always using Jenova to make Cloud do his bidding. And with Sephiroth bringing up Nibelheim and telling Cloud to "Hold onto that hatred", it appears the same thing is happening.
I know it's Jenovaroth who is running around before we get to the NC in the og, but who knows if that applies to the remake too since we know there is something weird going on with Sephiroth, but it doesn't really matter if it's Sephiroth using Jenova by proxy or if it his spirit from the future projecting himself through the lifestream into Clouds brain or something even weirder.
Because the fact of the matter is that Cloud does have a epic vendetta against Sephiroth, that part isn't a lie, the actual lie is that Sephiroth through his manipulation makes Cloud believe that this isn't the case, that he is a clone with no past, that he was never present at the Nibelheim incident.
So that's why it's so insane to hear Sephiroth himself tell Cloud that he was at the Nibelheim incident and that he does have a mother, he is basically confirming to him that he is Cloud from Nibelheim, which makes me really wonder where this all is going

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I know it's Jenovaroth who is running around before we get to the NC in the og, but who knows if that applies to the remake too since we know there is something weird going on with Sephiroth, but it doesn't really matter if it's Sephiroth using Jenova by proxy or if it his spirit from the future projecting himself through the lifestream into Clouds brain or something even weirder.
Because the fact of the matter is that Cloud does have a epic vendetta against Sephiroth, that part isn't a lie, the actual lie is that Sephiroth through his manipulation makes Cloud believe that this isn't the case, that he is a clone with no past, that he was never present at the Nibelheim incident.
So that's why it's so insane to hear Sephiroth himself tell Cloud that he was at the Nibelheim incident and that he does have a mother, he is basically confirming to him that he is Cloud from Nibelheim, which makes me really wonder where this all is going

Yes, it will be interesting to see how they play it. I am guessing Sephiroth will tell him it was a lie all along, and Tifa's doubt will only cause the gnawing doubts in Cloud's mind to shatter his reality, just as in the original. Of course, we all know he was there. But people new to this will be very intrigued by what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom