Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
It doesn't matter how powerful someone is, enough gunshot wounds can still take down any dude with a sword.
It contradicts what we see in gameplay, where actually no one can ever die unless they all get K.O.'d at once. They can withstand being lit on fire, dragon laser breath, the force of the sun exploding on top of them. In gameplay, everyone is OG video game characters, but in the story they are much more vulnerable. And I think that's cool! Even though it's contradictory, it makes for both emotionally effective story realism, and fun gameplay.
You can level Aeris up to level 99 and being impaled with an 8 ft long sword is still gonna kill her because she's still human.
I get that, but I am saying that even outside of gameplay, in the actually story, it was established that Zack is physically tougher than Aerith was by far. That's what I am saying when I mean Zack's OG death is more contradictory/requires more suspension of disbelief than Aerith's did.

Unlikely, yes. But I wasn't making an argument for the way I expect them to handle Zacks death, I was making a statement about how I wish they would handle it. This thread's about hopes, not expectations.
Also I don't see what popularity has anything to do with anything? I don't want Zack's death to be brutal because I hate Zack. I love him. I love him a whole lot more than Cloud.
For me, liking the depiction of Zack's death in FFVII more than CC has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel about Zack. It has to do with a love I have for ambitious, unconventional storytelling. It was new and different and personal and real in a way that didn't need deathbed dialogue or sad music to make me deeply, profoundly sad. That's the experience I would want newcomers to have with the game.
Both deaths are pretty brutal, the CC one is just more grandiose because it is the denouement of the game. Though, I don't you'll have to worry about there being sad Ayaka music in the remake version of the game. What's likely going to be kept are the massive army face off and the final deathbed conversation but it will also likely be presented in a different cinematic manner than CC did.

I personally think those elements mesh better with the overall story than their lack in OG did. I think what you saw ambitious, unconventional storytelling, I see more as limitations of the technology of the time.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
You think the writers inteded it to be a coincidence that the guy that Zack told must live out both their lives and be his living legacy started impersonating him in the immeadiate aftermath?
Of course it is not a coincidence, it is there to established a thematic connection. But the CC ending still doesn't change/retcon the fact that Cloud still forgets about Zack's existence. Cloud's memory's loss is still caused by the Mako poisoning and the Jenova cells (+trauma). Zack's final conversation just creates thematic continuity, it is not what causes Cloud's memory problems nor erases his issues of insecurity.

Again. What happened to Cloud didn't happened because of Jenova and Mako Poisoning. He'd had that for five years. What changed was being confronted with Tifa. Cloud knew who he was, wanted to be someone else in that moment, Jenova cells only made his subconcious desire possible. What Cloud's motives were matter and this newly retconned in agreement between Zack and Cloud offers a widely different story behind about what those motives could be. Making it all about Zack. And given how they edited ACC after Zack's popularity skyrocketed, I dunno why it'd be hard to believe that's exactly what they were aiming for.

But with remake I'm hoping for focus of FFVII be restored to Cloud again.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
What if the did a mix of the two games for that part? Presuming it's all going to be from Cloud's point of view, you're not really going to see the fight until the very end. As long as everyone knows what a badass Zack is by fighting and decimating more than half the Shinra army (or however much it was), they can just kind of do a brief shot of that, and then of Cloud making his way to Zack.

Out of curiosity, to those who prefer the OG's portrayal of Zack's death, how would you guys feel if they had Zack still alive barely and pass the Buster Sword to Cloud when Cloud reaches him, but be unable to speak?

I do like CC's version a lot, and I do think Zack could definitely have that last bit of willpower to speak, but that's my opinion.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
And on Aerith's death, I like how they did that. It's like.... very realistic, and normal, I guess? I mean, she doesn't even get to say anything to Cloud before she dies, she just sees him and smiles, and then she gets impaled and almost instantly dies afterwards.
I think when new players get to play the remake and see that scene, hopefully they won't know it's coming and be totally shocked and depressed.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
In the remake Zack's death most certainly won't be an optional cutscene. Cloud didn't get to say goodbye to Aerith and his mother, I don't mind them doing something different with Zack, just to change things up a bit if all these torturous cutscenes of Cloud are in the same game. I just don't like the living legacy business.

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
Out of curiosity, to those who prefer the OG's portrayal of Zack's death, how would you guys feel if they had Zack still alive barely and pass the Buster Sword to Cloud when Cloud reaches him, but be unable to speak?

Hmm it is an improvement on the CC ending, but I still think Cloud coming across Zacks corpse is just so poignant. I has a hopeless feel to it. Cloud not being able to say goodbye or anything makes it more powerful IMO.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Again. What happened to Cloud didn't happened because of Jenova and Mako Poisoning. He'd had that for five years. What changed was being confronted with Tifa. Cloud knew who he was, wanted to be someone else in that moment, Jenova cells only made his subconcious desire possible. What Cloud's motives were matter and this newly retconned in agreement between Zack and Cloud offers a widely different story behind about what those motives could be. Making it all about Zack. And given how they edited ACC after Zack's popularity skyrocketed, I dunno why it'd be hard to believe that's exactly what they were aiming for.

But with remake I'm hoping for focus of FFVII be restored to Cloud again.
Tifa was the trigger sure, but the specific way Cloud got his memories/identity messed up wouldn't have happened without the Mako poisoning and the memory-copying abilities Jenova's cells gave Cloud.

I really don't think Cloud and Zack's agreement in CC change Cloud's motives all that much beyond a subconscious level (while also adding a extreme level of irony). Cloud's living legacy agreement with Zack didn't make him consciously want to become Zack. Even with CC, Cloud's main motives for messing up his identity are still his insecurities IMO. Also I think it is debatable that Cloud was fully aware of who he was while he was at the train station but before he came into contact with Tifa. The cutscenes obviously show him "relapsing" into a more fugue-ish state before coming into contact with Tifa.

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7ptdQIPP4

Sorry to kind of change the subject, but I sincerely hope that the scenes like these are done in a almost semi horror way or something. They need to be quite hard hitting. I remember them really freaking me out first time I saw them so I hope they can recapture that. The potential is there for some epic stuff.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Sorry to kind of change the subject, but I sincerely hope that the scenes like these are done in a almost semi horror way or something. They need to be quite hard hitting. I remember them really freaking me out first time I saw them so I hope they can recapture that. The potential is there for some epic stuff.
I wonder what the voices inside Cloud's head will sound like? Will it just be a different inflection of Cloud's regular voice, Zack's voice, child Cloud's voice, and/or Sephiroth/Jenova's voice?

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Does anyone think the Zack's death scene deserves its own thread? Also, sorry for the essay length reply.

I didn't like how CC made it a conscious decision by Cloud to be Zack's 'living legacy'. In the OG Cloud is simply a victim of time and unforeseen occurrence. Its Jenova melding together Clouds personality, not Cloud deciding to live for his lost comrade by living Zack's dream. I think it detracts from the overall feeling of the original really. Both Cloud and the player were supposed to have absolutely no inclination, at all, that Zack existed and if we go by CC's ending that goes out the window.

Cloud has more or less recovered and is fully aware of who it is lying in front of him. He then repeats Zack's words 'I'm your living legacy'.. Then later at the station (OG) he's back to being fairly catatonic. Doesn't fit with the OG for me. Very sad though

Anyway, I feel like people underestimate how badly trauma can mess someone up on its own. You see, the human mind has various ways to attempt to preserve a functional mental state. Reluctance to admit that you're wrong or to dwell on your mistakes, for example, are meant to preserve a positive or at least not too negative self-image, which is important for a healthy state of mind. Likewise, there are various ways in which the human mind deals with stress in order to keep going, as too much stress can seriously do a number on someone's health.

When faced with too much at once, like say Sephiroth burning down your hometown, killing everyone you know except for Zack and whoever Cloud knows that still works in Shinra, 5 years of whatever the hell Hojo did plus resulting mako poisoning and then Zack dying is the kind of thing that a mind would block out because it's just too much to deal with. So of course, that leads to repressing a lot of memories in order to avoid all that trauma. The Nibelheim incident was too important to forget but taking Zack's perspective was somewhat safer and lined up with having been in SOLDIER. It also allowed Zack's role in the incident to be shown without having to acknowledge the existence of someone whose death was also being repressed. Really, all the Jenova cells contributed were a few memories Cloud has no business having, when you compare the flashback scenes with the CC versions. Basically, it's a lot of maladaptive coping, including some dissociation. It's actually pretty in line with the list of symptoms for PTSD or C-PTSD. Cloud also seems to have a guilt complex.

Well, that's because of the narrative placement/framing of the scenes. If CC played the scene out just as curtly as it did in the OG that would make for a very unsatisfying ending to a game (even one with a forgone conclusions). Even other games with a sad endings (e.g. Shadow of the Colossus, Mother 3, Halo: Reach) have a sense of grandness to their endings. It wouldn't be a satisfying denouement narratively otherwise.

I understand the narrative purpose of making the CC version of Zack's death somewhat heroic despite the tragedy of it all. I agree that a game focused on him would need to do something to take the player's attachment to him over all those hours of playing pay off with a lengthier version of his death that involves him more. However, I also think that wouldn't fit with the narrative of the OG.

In the OG, Zack tries to haul Cloud to safety, Shinra catches up to him, he tries to fight them off, 3 corner him on the cliff and he gets shot many, many times to make extra sure he doesn't get back up. Then, one of them turns to Cloud, asks what to do about him and is told to just leave him. After that, Cloud drags himself over to Zack's body, grabs the sword and screams to the sky. With the context of the situation, it's pretty safe to say Cloud was screaming in grief over Zack's death, as is also seen in the CC version.

In CC, they get shot at while in the truck, Zack gets the driver to pull over and stashes Cloud out of sight, telling him he'll be back soon. At this point, Cloud stirs, trying to reach out to Zack as he walks away. Then, we get Zack facing off a lot of Shinra troops, with a look on his face that tells me he probably knew he wasn't going survive but wanting to try anyway. As the fight progresses, the gameplay reflects how he's getting worn down, essentially having his life flashing before his eyes with all those DMW scenes. Aerith's gasp is definitely related to Zack dying, but since he isn't dead yet, there's a good chance she only sensed some vague trouble without really knowing the details. We're then treated to a wonderful show of Zack lying in the rain surrounded by puddles of blood, before Cloud drags himself to him. Zack says what he wants to say to Cloud, who only seems to be capable of repeating what Zack says and looking worried. Then, Zack dies and Cloud seems to realize what just happened, screaming in grief. After some more flashbacks about Zack and Cloud, we see Cloud get up, make a promise to Zack and head off to Midgar. For some reason, they wanted to throw in Zack's dying dream of being carried off by Angeal into the lifetream. Obviously, that part was strictly Zack's perspective so it has no reason to end up in the remake.

I hope they strike some sort of middle ground really. That makes the most sense.

I think my preferred compromise of the two would be that we get the full truck scene, shots are fired and Zack tells the driver to pull over. Zack hastily tries to find a safe place to stash Cloud, fights a bunch of Shinra troops and ends up shot up by the last 3 on the cliff. Then, they notice Cloud nearby, decide not to bother killing him and leave. Zack would already be dead when Cloud drags himself over to the body like in the OG and then screams with grief. I'd miss some parts of the CC version that would be left out in this case but for the remake, the OG version better fits the narrative.

Plus I always got the feeling from the OG that Zack wasn't all that powerful. Obviously thats not the case in CC. In the OG he goes in to face Sephiroth and literally flies out of the Jenova room seconds later. Whereas Cloud is able to successfully wound Sephiroth twice. I think its important to have that clear distinction between the characters, Cloud being somehow inherently more powerful than Zack. Picking Sephiroth up after being impaled and throwing him in into the lifestream makes this a fact surely not? Plus the quick death scene is a lot more hard hitting as has been said by others.
Zack getting beaten so easily by Sephiroth doesn't mean he's weak. Sephiroth is obscenely powerful and in a rank of his own. Zack is a SOLDIER First Class so he's definitely supposed to be stronger than we get to see in the OG. He basically just got hit with the Whorf effect and death by origin story.

I have noticed actually that whichever version people saw first tends to be the one that they're most attached to. That's really interesting to me. I wonder how I would have felt if I had played Crisis Core first.
I think nostalgia has something to do with it, like which game in a franchise you're most emotionally attached to. You summed everything else in your post quite nicely.

I think Zack's death has more contradiction to it than Aerith's, even beyond the suspension of disbelief required for standard story-gameplay-segregation (as Aerith has the the excuse of being a Squishy Wizard type character). Zack in both games is built up has having the physical power of a 1st class Soldier (even more so in CC), Zack's death in the OG just clashes more with his pre-established attributes than Aerith's does (who comparatively didn't have much physical power/skills).
Not necessarily. Considering all those years spend in Hojo's lab followed by being on the run and taking care of a catatonic friend, there's a good chance Zack was far from at his best when he died. It doesn't matter how strong he usually is, no one can go on like that forever.

It doesn't matter how powerful someone is, enough gunshot wounds can still take down any dude with a sword.
It contradicts what we see in gameplay, where actually no one can ever die unless they all get K.O.'d at once. They can withstand being lit on fire, dragon laser breath, the force of the sun exploding on top of them. In gameplay, everyone is OG video game characters, but in the story they are much more vulnerable. And I think that's cool! Even though it's contradictory, it makes for both emotionally effective story realism, and fun gameplay.
You can level Aeris up to level 99 and being impaled with an 8 ft long sword is still gonna kill her because she's still human.
You reminded me of
e9aee3d49c2f8995af446933f547638b.jpg

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree
Love your explanation of Cloud's psychological makeup Starling. Makes a lot sense to me. The fact the Cloud can string a sentence together let alone manage to get himself to Midgar after his experiences is damn impressive in my books!

Wimbly

Garden Festival Retiree

I wonder what the voices inside Cloud's head will sound like? Will it just be a different inflection of Cloud's regular voice, Zack's voice, child Cloud's voice, and/or Sephiroth/Jenova's voice?

My thoughts exactly. Can't wait to finally find out who the voices actually belong to after all these years!

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I get that, but I am saying that even outside of gameplay, in the actually story, it was established that Zack is physically tougher than Aerith was by far. That's what I am saying when I mean Zack's OG death is more contradictory/requires more suspension of disbelief than Aerith's did.
I can maybe see how that's true considering that, if it was that easy to take down Zack, SOMEONE should have been able to take down Cloud and co., at least early on in the game.
I'm not a big fan of the fact that Zack is made out to be a weak baby comparatively to our party members.
But idk, I didn't have any problem believing that he could be gunned down when I played. It's guns. Even a big muscle human with some alien cells can be shot to death.

Both deaths are pretty brutal, the CC one is just more grandiose because it is the denouement of the game. Though, I don't you'll have to worry about there being sad Ayaka music in the remake version of the game. What's likely going to be kept are the massive army face off and the final deathbed conversation but it will also likely be presented in a different cinematic manner than CC did.

I personally think those elements mesh better with the overall story than their lack in OG did. I think what you saw ambitious, unconventional storytelling, I see more as limitations of the technology of the time.
I didn't mean to imply that the CC death wasn't at all brutal, (death is a hard thing for me to see depicted no matter what) I was only trying to figure out why you were bringing popularity into this. I thought maybe you were saying that fans are going to want the big hero's death rather than the lonely human death because it's more satisfying to watch. It treats Zack like the OP character we want our video game characters to be, rather than as fragile as a real human. If that's not what you were saying, I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you were trying to say.

I don't see it as a issue in technology limitations personally, I see it as the result of little intentional choices, that played right into line with everything going on with Aeris's death. CC Zack death didn't feel like it was in the same spirit as the way death is treated in FFVII. It felt more like a melodramatic Cait Sith death.
Out of curiosity, did you play CC first? Because I have heard that same sentiment (chalking it up to technology limitations) before from someone who had played CC first.

It would certainly make Cloud look less like a dick, LOL. I always liked Zack more than Cloud and the way Cloud just stole his life never sat well with me. But I also like that Cloud returns the Buster Sword to Zack in a way by leaving it at his grave after the game.
Idk, this is a small enough change that I couldn't imagine being that upset about it lol. In a lot of ways in regards to the remake I feel like, the people making this game are smart and competent and I trust their decisions and if that was the way they chose to go I would be interested in why they'd choose make that change, but not be too upset about it.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
A lil idea I was kicking around earlier - I want to see more people's personal spaces. I mean mostly I want to see where Rufus or Reeve live, but that's because they my favs. But I'd also like to see stuff like where Avalanche sleeps in 7th Heaven. I think well designed and detailed rooms and houses would be really cool. Probably as cool as an open world Midgar tbh, in terms of how much it would contribute to my enjoyment.

When I first got to that scene when I was seven, I stopped playing for a couple days because I was too scared to continue. I too hope they make Cloud's little freakouts very hard hitting.

Also I'm wondering how the remake will handle that little scene where Seph manipulates Cloud into almost killing Aerith. That feeling of dread when none of the buttons would work except for the action button was horrible.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Also I'm wondering how the remake will handle that little scene where Seph manipulates Cloud into almost killing Aerith. That feeling of dread when none of the buttons would work except for the action button was horrible.

Oh yeah, that was a wicked scene. I remember when I first played the game, I started kind of freaking out because nothing was working right and Cloud was getting closer to her, raising his sword.
I imagine they might just do the same thing for that scene, just with upgraded graphics? I liked the insinuation that you were the one unable to control yourself.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
It's going to be some intense viewing watching a remastered Cloud have these fits all over the place, especially if they keep 'Who Are You?' playing in the background. That song was one of the reasons it was so chilling in the first place, I'd feel like it just came out of nowhere.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Despite that I wanted a remake of Before Crisis and/or at least one last sequel to the Compilation of FFVII, I'm hoping they'll use the scene where Reno and Rude talk about Tifa, Elena, Tseng and Aerith near Gongaga.

To see Reno's reactions in hearing about his best friend's interest in Tifa and Elena's crush over Tseng would be priceless. I'll admit it, I've wanted to see that in full CG scene for a long time.

Just hope they don't mess up the designs of the characters and at least use the renders from the previous games in HD for the remake. I loved Reno's AC and CC renders, since he is so much better looking in full CG render. Cloud and Zack too.

Ah, who am I kidding? I think the AC, DOC and CC renders of all of the main characters who have shown up in most games than others are the best, especially in full 3D CG renders. 2D renders in my opinion, just don't work out for the characters.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Despite that I wanted a remake of Before Crisis and/or at least one last sequel to the Compilation of FFVII, I'm hoping they'll use the scene where Reno and Rude talk about Tifa, Elena, Tseng and Aerith near Gongaga.

To see Reno's reactions in hearing about his best friend's interest in Tifa and Elena's crush over Tseng would be priceless. I'll admit it, I've wanted to see that in full CG scene for a long time.
renders. 2D renders in my opinion, just don't work out for the characters.

If they do keep that scene (and here's to hoping they do), it will be some awkwardness of epic proportions. That's one thing about the remake I'm really looking forward to, seeing the facial expressions of all the characters, hearing their tone of voice change at different stories and revelations.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
Man, I wanna be able to set Tifa up with Rude. I bet he'd be a better boyfriend than Cloud.

Man, I wanna be able to set Tifa up with Rude. I bet he'd be a better boyfriend than Cloud.

Dude for some reason ever since Rude admitted he had a crush on Tifa I've wanted Rude and Tifa to be a thing. Idk I feel like it would be cute. THEY BOTH PUNCH THINGS OKAY.

That would be really cute, actually, if they became sparring partners and ended up falling for each other...I have some fanfic to write...

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I understand the narrative purpose of making the CC version of Zack's death somewhat heroic despite the tragedy of it all. I agree that a game focused on him would need to do something to take the player's attachment to him over all those hours of playing pay off with a lengthier version of his death that involves him more. However, I also think that wouldn't fit with the narrative of the OG.

In the OG, Zack tries to haul Cloud to safety, Shinra catches up to him, he tries to fight them off, 3 corner him on the cliff and he gets shot many, many times to make extra sure he doesn't get back up. Then, one of them turns to Cloud, asks what to do about him and is told to just leave him. After that, Cloud drags himself over to Zack's body, grabs the sword and screams to the sky. With the context of the situation, it's pretty safe to say Cloud was screaming in grief over Zack's death, as is also seen in the CC version.

In CC, they get shot at while in the truck, Zack gets the driver to pull over and stashes Cloud out of sight, telling him he'll be back soon. At this point, Cloud stirs, trying to reach out to Zack as he walks away. Then, we get Zack facing off a lot of Shinra troops, with a look on his face that tells me he probably knew he wasn't going survive but wanting to try anyway. As the fight progresses, the gameplay reflects how he's getting worn down, essentially having his life flashing before his eyes with all those DMW scenes. Aerith's gasp is definitely related to Zack dying, but since he isn't dead yet, there's a good chance she only sensed some vague trouble without really knowing the details. We're then treated to a wonderful show of Zack lying in the rain surrounded by puddles of blood, before Cloud drags himself to him. Zack says what he wants to say to Cloud, who only seems to be capable of repeating what Zack says and looking worried. Then, Zack dies and Cloud seems to realize what just happened, screaming in grief. After some more flashbacks about Zack and Cloud, we see Cloud get up, make a promise to Zack and head off to Midgar. For some reason, they wanted to throw in Zack's dying dream of being carried off by Angeal into the lifetream. Obviously, that part was strictly Zack's perspective so it has no reason to end up in the remake.
I don't think by any means we're going to get an exact replica of the CC ending with a full blown battle sequence with Zack and the DMV slowly breaking down. But I still think the elements of Zack facing down a small army of grunts and having his final words with Cloud can still easily be meshed with the Remake. Similar to how the scenes were presented in ACC (the presence of which I think can indicate that those specific elements will be retained in the remake).

Not necessarily. Considering all those years spend in Hojo's lab followed by being on the run and taking care of a catatonic friend, there's a good chance Zack was far from at his best when he died. It doesn't matter how strong he usually is, no one can go on like that forever.
I don't Zack could have gone on like that forever either. But even if Zack wasn't at his best I think he was still likely physically tougher/more durable than Aerith was. Watching the OG death scene of Zack, it just seems odd that after coming back from the off screen fight and showing no signs of being worn down he just gets taken out by a few surprise lucky shots. If he had been showing visible fatigue (like he is with the last three soldiers in CC) I don't think the surprise shots would come off as so jarring/odd.

I can maybe see how that's true considering that, if it was that easy to take down Zack, SOMEONE should have been able to take down Cloud and co., at least early on in the game.
I'm not a big fan of the fact that Zack is made out to be a weak baby comparatively to our party members.
But idk, I didn't have any problem believing that he could be gunned down when I played. It's guns. Even a big muscle human with some alien cells can be shot to death.
As I stated above it's not that I have problem with Zack getting taken out by a few surprise shots, it just comes off as jarring/suspension of belief breaking that they could take him out without him showing any visible signs of fatigue/damage prior.

I didn't mean to imply that the CC death wasn't at all brutal, (death is a hard thing for me to see depicted no matter what) I was only trying to figure out why you were bringing popularity into this. I thought maybe you were saying that fans are going to want the big hero's death rather than the lonely human death because it's more satisfying to watch. It treats Zack like the OP character we want our video game characters to be, rather than as fragile as a real human. If that's not what you were saying, I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you were trying to say.
That's not exactly what I was trying to say. What I am getting at is that the significance that Zack as character hold's now to SE and FFVII as a whole now is much greater than what he originally had when the OG came out. While Aerith's death in the OG was sudden and unexpected it was still depicted with this huge gravitas, getting an entire FMV sequence dedicated to it. Zack's death on the other hand was bonus extra content that had to be sought out to see. But currently, the compilation now treats Zack's character/death with just as much gravitas as Aerith's (even if has lost some of the OG's sudden and unexpectedness flavor). I can't imagine the remake will reduce the visual gravitas of of Zack's most recent portrayal of his death. So not character popularity, but more character/narrative significance is what I am trying to say.

I don't see it as a issue in technology limitations personally, I see it as the result of little intentional choices, that played right into line with everything going on with Aeris's death. CC Zack death didn't feel like it was in the same spirit as the way death is treated in FFVII. It felt more like a melodramatic Cait Sith death.
Well, maybe technological limitations isn't the right word, more technological priorities of how much visual work they wanted to put into portraying Zack's character/death. As I as mentioned above, Aerith's death, while sudden and unexpected, was treated with a huge amount of narrative significance (due to her character's significance), it was not a skippable scene. But thanks to the Compilation now Zack has comparable significance and I can't imagine they won't dedicate more visual/cinematic weight to his death in the remake (and the sudden and unexpectedness flavor of the OG will likely be lost as a byproduct, which for me I think is fine and meshes better with the overall FFVII story, Zack's death doesn't need to be identical to Aerith's in treatment).

Out of curiosity, did you play CC first? Because I have heard that same sentiment (chalking it up to technology limitations) before from someone who had played CC first.
I actually was introduce to the FFVII franchise through AC first from a friend when we were renting movies form Blockbuster as pre-teens. I couldn't understand most the film but I thought it was interesting. I actually haven't played any of the games, but I have watched completed Let's Plays/cinematic "movies" of all the compilation games except BC multiple times and read the all OTWTAS novellas.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
You know, there's a chance they'll have the Zack flashback right after the lifestream sequence as originally planned.
I don't think by any means we're going to get an exact replica of the CC ending with a full blown battle sequence with Zack and the DMV slowly breaking down. But I still think the elements of Zack facing down a small army of grunts and having his final words with Cloud can still easily be meshed with the Remake. Similar to how the scenes were presented in ACC (the presence of which I think can indicate that those specific elements will be retained in the remake).
I kinda dealt with that a bit in the below paragraph about what I figured a decent compromise between the two versions would be, explaining that the OG one had more narrative importance relating to the remake than the CC one. I'd actually written up to that point of my post before I added the quotes for context.

I don't Zack could have gone on like that forever either. But even if Zack wasn't at his best I think he was still likely physically tougher/more durable than Aerith was. Watching the OG death scene of Zack, it just seems odd that after coming back from the off screen fight and showing no signs of being worn down he just gets taken out by a few surprise lucky shots. If he had been showing visible fatigue (like he is with the last three soldiers in CC) I don't think the surprise shots would come off as so jarring/odd.
You know, luck has a huge part in whether or not you die from stuff. Some people manage to survive getting shot in the face or hist by lightning. Other people get aneurysms while taking a shit. The OG models weren't exactly conductive to showing injuries and such. With the unchanging facial expressions, it's impressive they had enough range of movement to convey as much body language as they did. I mean, it's not like Cloud and Sephiroth stabbing each-other showed the injuries all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom