Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mage

She/They
AKA
Mage
I'm really hoping S-E don't fuck over the rest of the fandom worldwide by giving the remake some Japanese-only exclusives. That would be immensely annoying given how so many people never got to play Before Crisis.
Anyway, like I said, I can't see it going on to cloud storage (well played @leadmyskeptic, well played) when so many people don't have fast broadband still. Hell, one of the Scottish islands only got electricity 24-7 last month!

One direction I'd enjoy is if, in the context of the remake being released, Square declares the post-Meteorfall continuity as a potential/alternate timeline, thus leaving some ambiguity as to whether humanity is erased by Holy or not at the end of the FFVII Remake-verse. Saying that the Remake-verse *could* move on into On the Way to a Smile, Advent Children & Dirge of Cerberus but that it doesn't *necessarily* do so. A way of eating the cake and still having it afterwards. They could declare the pre-OG material as limbo-canon too if they wanted but that's not relevant to the topic of Holy's effect on the planet.

EDIT: Call it "Schrödinger's Canon" if you like :wacky:

Last edited:

hleV

Pro Adventurer
One direction I'd enjoy is if, in the context of the remake being released, Square declares the post-Meteorfall continuity as a potential/alternate timeline, thus leaving some ambiguity as to whether humanity is erased by Holy or not at the end of the FFVII Remake-verse. Saying that the Remake-verse *could* move on into On the Way to a Smile, Advent Children & Dirge of Cerberus but that it doesn't *necessarily* do so. A way of eating the cake and still having it afterwards. They could declare the pre-OG material as limbo-canon too if they wanted but that's not relevant to the topic of Holy's effect on the planet.

EDIT: Call it "Schrödinger's Canon" if you like :wacky:
You really want everyone to be dead don't you

:lol:

Actually I quite like it when they stay alive. It just boils down to nostalgia for that ambiguity about the fate of humanity, as well as the way a story is experienced through ambiguity. I am by no means driven by a desire for all the characters to die.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X

I really like the way that they call out the character similarities and differences between Cloud & Zack, and there're even little subtleties about how their post-battle victory pose is performed and struck. I hope that those things being around mean that we're going to see little qualities and things like that taken advantage of in how they portray Cloud at various points in the game, as well as during his mis-remembered flashbacks and things. It'd be really cool to see those sorts of subtle inconsistencies if you know what to look for.

X :neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I would actually prefer a Japanese voice option for international releases of FF7R. At least then her name will sound like "Aeris," and lines of dialogue will be total gibberish to me instead of (I fear) poorly inflected, badly dubbed, and tonally off from what I've been hearing in my head all these years.

Is there a way that fans can do such a thing if S-E won't? (which they won't.) Like, English menus and subtitles but just the recorded dialogue in Japanese. Otherwise, I'll have to play the game on mute.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I would actually prefer a Japanese voice option for international releases of FF7R. Is there a way that fans can do such a thing if S-E won't? (which they won't.) Like, English menus and subtitles but just the recorded dialogue in Japanese.

...the NA/EU version of FFXV comes with Japanese, English, French, & German vocal audio options to choose from, and has 9 different language options for displaying the game's menu text and subtitles.

What on Earth makes you think that this is something that suddenly wouldn't be included by SE in the Remake on a AAA game that has a budget carved out specifically for internationalization...?

X :neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
PHEW! I'm way behind in terms of trends, the only constant seems to be I never get what I want :P This is very good news for me! For those of you who have played FFXV in any language: are the lips and character movements altered when you change the language settings, or is it a classic dub?

Edit: Oh wait I remember Ray talking about his "Beaaaannnss" line and mentioning the dubbing restrictions. Ohhh I'm gonna have fun choosing which dub to use. The timbre of their voices is very important to me.

Last edited:

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
Hahahaha, oh man, that, "Beeeeeeeaaaaaannnnnnns" line is just amazing. I really hope that we get some other new gems out of FFVII-R like that. I have a feeling that those sorts of things will be the, "This guy are sick" equivalent for the Remake.

X:neo:

They could even keep that line but give it to someone else. This way you’d demonstrate that the people are poor in the slums and likely do t access to any proper education.

Or Let’s Mosey (if kept would be good)

Just a thought for the smaller content, though they’ll obviously stay closer to the original script (the Japanese one) and the increase in quality of localization means we probably won’t unless for the English translation to keep them in as a sort of joke.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
I only have one hope really.

That they don't lose any of the comical, whimsical side of FF7 that has gone totally by the wayside since basically the release of Advent Children. I mean, I know that what they were doing was capital I "Important" and capital H "Historic," but the movie is more or less totally devoid of humor.

FF7 made me laugh. FF7: Advent Children did interest me, but it did not make me laugh once. Well...except for hearing Barrett's phone message for Cloud. "Up top, Spikeeeey!!!" :D

Other than that, Advent Children is completely unfunny. And that is really missing from FF7-related properties after that point. Notice:

When Aerith is having trouble jumping across the rooftops after escaping Reno and his flunkies (immediately after she and Cloud meet), she complains that he is going too fast, and he says "That's funny, I thought you were cut out to be in Soldier?" and she replies, "Oh, you're terrible!" Cloud's response?

He LAUGHS.

CLOUD STRIFE, BADBUTT HARDCORE FORMER SOLDIER, LAUGHS.

This aspect of Cloud is present throughout the original FF7 story, and has been totally lost since Advent Children's mopey depiction of him became the benchmark by which his character was known. There's also Cloud talking about how Barrett wearing a sailor suit looked like a bear had stretched a marshmallow over it's whole body, and Cloud assailing a poor canine guardian of a submarine with the epithet "Ok, Dog, I'm gonna dognap you," Cloud's constant bouts of motion sickness, Cloud insisting that Dio not refer to him as a 'boy' and Dio not giving 1/4th of an F what he is saying, Cloud telling Yuffie "You're gonna lose again," Cloud saying to the party "Let's mosey" and Cid chewing him out for saying dumb country boy idiot slang.

This element of humor to Cloud's character cannot be left out of the Remake.

Last edited:

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I only have one hope really.

That they don't lose any of the comical, whimsical side of FF7 that has gone totally by the wayside since basically the release of Advent Children. I mean, I know that what they were doing was capital I "Important" and capital H "Historic," but the movie is more or less totally devoid of humor.

FF7 made me laugh. FF7: Advent Children did interest me, but it did not make me laugh once. Well...except for hearing Barrett's phone message for Cloud. "Up top, Spikeeeey!!!" :D

Other than that, Advent Children is completely unfunny. And that is really missing from FF7-related properties after that point. Notice:

When Aerith is having trouble jumping across the rooftops after escaping Reno and his flunkies (immediately after she and Cloud meet), she complains that he is going too fast, and he says "That's funny, I thought you were cut out to be in Soldier?" and she replies, "Oh, you're terrible!" Cloud's response?

He LAUGHS.

CLOUD STRIFE, BADBUTT HARDCORE FORMER SOLDIER, LAUGHS.

This aspect of Cloud is present throughout the original FF7 story, and has been totally lost since Advent Children's mopey depiction of him became the benchmark by which his character was known. There's also Cloud talking about how Barrett wearing a sailor suit looked like a bear had stretched a marshmallow over it's whole body, and Cloud assailing a poor canine guardian of a submarine with the epitheth "Ok, Dog, I'm gonna dognap you," Cloud's constant bouts of motion sickness, Cloud insisting that Dio not refer to him as a 'boy' and Dio not giving 1/4th of an F what he is saying, Cloud telling Yuffie "You're gonna lose again," Cloud saying to the party "Let's mosey" and Cid chewing him out for saying dumb country boy idiot slang.

This element of humor to Cloud's character cannot be left out of the Remake.

I agree wholeheartedly, and actually, this was specifically addressed by some of the developers...I forget the exact quote (I'm sure someone will come up with it), but it caused a bit of controversy initially as people weren't sure what to make of the translation....I believe they referred to taking care to bring across Cloud's "Dorky" side...

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Pretty sure the slapstick comedy buffoons they turned the Turks into was supposed to be the comedy of AC.

To be honest, Elena trying to punch Cloud and rolling down a Snowboard slope with her henchmen running after her, and Reno and Rude having a serious discussion about which female characters in your party are the most likable count.

But Reno and Rude cutting up was something, too, in AC. It's just not the night-and-day change you seem to be suggesting. I did forget that, though. Reno running out the door and getting it locked behind him by Cloud was a good laugh.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I always liked the locking the door on Reno bit, and Cloud's "Do I feel sorry for you," to Rude after learning Rufus was alive was pretty on-brand, I thought. Also, in ACC, if Marlene quoting her dad didn't put a smile on your face, nothing will. ACC also toned down/got rid of some of the more outrageous Turks slapstick, but I agree, their "stonehearted, ruthless killer agents" persona has largely been a fan creation. They're pretty goofy throughout all of FF7.

I've also mentioned before in Dirge Cloud has a good cocky like in the vein of when he talks to Yuffie in VII. When Vincent asks "How about you guys [how are you holding up]?" Cloud answers "What do you think?" after they've just been talking while fighting enemies and tossing the phone between them. That always made me smile.
I always enjoyed the scene in OTWTAS: Case of Tifa when they're building the new 7th Heaven. Barret is drunkenly, and loudly barking orders at the people building it, while Cloud follows behind him quietly correcting said orders :D

And hell, Crisis Core even gave Sephiroth a joke, in addition to Zack fighting off a wave of enemies with a beach umbrella in his swim trunks. You are correct that the Compilation can be a little too grim at times, but I think people overstate that, too. Dour Cloud has dominated Kingdom Hearts and a lot of Dissidia, but in the Compilation it was really only Advent Children, and at least he had dying as a reason there. It is good that the devs made mention of that side of Cloud, and the game should absolutely not lose it's element of whimsy. But also, him laughing at Aerith is fairly notable even in FF7. I think that's one of only two times in the whole game he laughs (excluding the "ha ha ha, black materia" freakout), the other time being after everyone says Barret's catchphrase in unison on the Highwind.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I don't wanna get started grindin' ma Turks axe once more (at least not until more RM info trickles through), but when contemplating their original game portrayal...Reno personally, and GLEEFULLY drops the Sector 7 plate, which is more or less the largest scale act of violence we witness in the entire game. The Nibelheim incident sees the slaughter of a whole town, but it's the one-by-one massacre (with people fleeing, etc) of a small mountain village, not the almost Hiroshima/Nagasaki-esque destruction of an entire city sector in one fateful blast. The site of the massive piece blocking out the sky as it drops, unstoppable, and knowing that all those lives were wiped out in an instant, like whacking a fly with a flyswatter, always got under my skin (in a good way). Now, admittedly, they are supposed to be far more bumbling than their self-image, but thats more an issue of competence than personality type. I feel their general characterization in the OG is characterized by that "Because it's our job" moment from Wutai. Considering their reputation, what we've seen them do in the game so far, and then that small but perfectly evocative bit of a dialogue, it sums them up as, essentially, akin to hitmen...devoid of moral inquiry, ideals, or self-reflection...simply the agents of a tyrannical corporation, 'doing a job'. Now, hitmen can goof around, otherwise Tarantino wouldn't have a career. But the Reno we see in Advent Children does NOT seem like a man who could've EVER vaporized a bunch of civilians...or even 'bad guys', really. That's my beef. Just as people don't want to see Cloud reduced to a mopey sourpuss and then robbed of his original character shading, I wouldn't want the Turk's 'crushes', their inflated sense of ego (Reno, again, is like an assassin whose read books about assassins...he seems himself as a mythical badass, so when he retreats, he's gotta do some quick mental re-writes of what's going down), or any of that to get cut...I just think it's important that we see them as overall vile figures who can bring a smile to our lips DESPITE that. Like, you laugh, think "well they're not so b....wait, these motherfuckers KILLED Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, and the entirety of Sector 7!!", because that pull-and-tug is what makes things interesting, and especially makes that late-game choice in the tunnels far more meaningful (assuming...they're going to maintain that??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom