Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
My running theory is that there's only one "Game", the basic install.

I say this because I recall a long time ago I got the "Remake" of American Mcgee's Alice on PS3. Welp, stupid me didn't read the fineprint, because it actually isn't it's own game, but a version that runs on the same engine as it's sequel. You're supposed to buy it AFTER you buy Alice: Madness Returns, and run it from the same software.

So that's how I think VII-R is going to work: You pay for the initial digital download or CD (CD's these days seem to just be data dumps and you have to install content from online anyways), and every part after just shoves more data onto your hardrive to continue where you left off.

So it'll probably be impossible for anyone to play the remake's second part (and onward) without already having purchased and completed part 1.

So sort of like the extra parts being DLC? Because that's a theory I've had. It might not work, but that would be an interesting way for them to release the game. You'd buy the main game and then DLC down the line for each remaining part. There could be benefits for that, because it'd probably tie in with my theory that they'll have the whole game complete before they even release the first part and that would mean we should be able to get the rest of the game fairly quickly after the initial release.

I wouldn't be surprised if the sequels blocked access unless you had the original, but there are tons of ways to incorporate a previous game's data over to a new game. But all that may be moot if they have a variant leveling system. If the enemies of the game are only as powerful as you are, it doesn't matter on that front. More difficult would be transferring items and materia... but even that isn't really an issue if you have to play the first game to begin the second.

Not too unrealistic. They made those comments years ago. Who knows anymore?

Yeah I don't think it would be difficult at all to move everything over. You'd just upload your save like any other game and continue where you left off. The questions would lie in what levels would you be max for each part? I wouldn't think they'd want to allow you to reach level 99 after the first part, because if they did we would all be level 99 by the time the second part finally released lol.

And exactly - we have virtually heard nothing on the FF7R front ever since the PlayStation Experience trailer. Who knows what they have planned now? Personally, though, I am on board with it being in multiple parts as long as we don't have to wait a freaking decade between each one.

One thing I would like to see, and I know this would probably be extremely difficult to implement, is an option to play it traditionally with turn-based battles or the new system. I know people that say they won't buy/play the game if it isn't turn-based. I also have friends who have never played the game strictly because it is turn-based. I know you can't please everyone, but if they found a way to allow the option for both then that would be as close as they'd get to pleasing everyone. I want this game to reach as many people as possible. There was a game (I believe at the Nintendo direct yesterday) that allowed you to play the entire game in it's old style or the game with it's new updated style. So I don't think it's impossible, just difficult and possibly not worth it in Square's eyes.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Levels are kind of meaningless in RPGs. All they are is the indicator of your strength versus the enemy's strength. There can always be bigger fish ie: Bigger stat numbers.

That also comes with the issue of diminishing returns of EXP. May not be possible to reach level 99 in part one, at least not without an insane amount of effort.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Surely RPGs are one of the only places they're NOT meaningless!

Nope. Literally all you have to do is just add higher numbers.

Not to mention Final Fantasy has a tendency to not even need full 99 levels or anywhere close to it to complete story content. Most grinding is at the player's discretion. It's entirely about how many numbers the developers feel like plugging into the system.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
There are a ton of ways they could carry stuff over, but since we actually don't know if that's even what they're going to be doing for sure, it's a non-starter issue.

The ones who won't buy the game because it is action are non-factors.

True. And the idea of two or more different play-modes, while neat, isn't something you can expect from really any AAA title. They spend far too much time creating battle systems and the like for them to do that.

Now... someone eventually modding something like that on PC? Maybe. But also incredibly difficult. I wouldn't expect it.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
True. And the idea of two or more different play-modes, while neat, isn't something you can expect from really any AAA title. They spend far too much time creating battle systems and the like for them to do that.

Now... someone eventually modding something like that on PC? Maybe. But also incredibly difficult. I wouldn't expect it.

I get that and I tried to reiterate in my post that it would be extremely difficult and unlikely. I just think it’d be neat if they found a way.

Personally, I am all for it going action. I was against it at first (not to the point where I pretended I wouldn’t buy or play the game), but I quickly got over that and now I welcome it and am glad they are modernizing the combat.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I think the abandoning of turn-based was something a lot of us older-school veterans had to "come to grips with"...in my case, the RM being the start and the catalyst for it, but ultimately, with gaming/RPG-ing at large. I still standby the thought that the core foundation of a well-built turn based system is still something that could totally work in a 'modern' game, and needn't be thought of as having been fundamentally 'surpassed'. In a sense, I consider it not too far removed from the way in which 2D graphics + gameplay were considered 'lost' things of the past in games like Mortal Kombat or Sonic for quite a while, before time eventually proved that there were things achievable within those systems that weren't within 3D and, most importantly, that the "fun factor" wasn't lost. Whenever a mechanic is in some way linked to 'hardware limitations', and the ceiling of limitations is raised, the line between what is fundamentally less 'fun', and what is merely an 'alternative', seems to deeply blur. It's the difference between ditching the combos that "Street Fighter II" introduced to return to the originals punches and kicks, and declaring that all of the series entries after "EX" should be in 3D, because two-directional movement is 'archaic'. There's quite a distinction, even if both were born from evolutions in tech and design.

But, at the same time, I've come to terms with not expecting that from "Final Fantasy", and (obviously) not from the RM specifically.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
You know, FFXV had "Wait Mode" which was essentially like a turn based battle system you could use instead of action combat.

That was a thing. Granted battles with time limits were disallowed from being played in Wait Mode but the rest of the game could be played in the classic style.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
It doesn't quite work so well, since you have to activate it EVERY time you want to freeze things, and sometimes it doesn't really help all that much. The other aspect of TBRPGs is everything is very organized. action-rpgs are usually a chaotic mess of melee. Pausing doesn't really do much to remedy that. Either you're able to be in the moment, or you're going to be jamming WAIT every other hit, and that doesn't really sound like fun.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
What's funny is that Bravely Default and Octopath Traveller showed that turn-based systems are still utterly loved, and that they can work in a modern game. However, with the need to create games with as much mass appeal as possible, an action RPG is the compromise.

I do have hope that they will still present a lot of the RPG side of things, if the targeting system is anything to go by. However, the core of VII's system to me is the Materia, and what they do with magic is really the defining issue here.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
That's a common claim that they ditched it because action has more of a mainstream appeal.

And yet, FF7 is still the best selling in the series.

My theory is they've largely ditched turn-based because it doesn't make for very good preview trailers. They want something that looks flashy! Characters calmly standing in a line waiting for their turn has always looked a bit silly.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
That's a common claim that they ditched it because action has more of a mainstream appeal.

And yet, FF7 is still the best selling in the series.

My theory is they've largely ditched turn-based because it doesn't make for very good preview trailers. They want something that looks flashy! Characters calmly standing in a line waiting for their turn has always looked a bit silly.
A bit of context to VII numbers. By August 2015 VII had sold over 11 millon copies across multiple platforms, so 11 millons in almost 18 years and 7 months.

XV sold 8.4 millons by October 2018, over 1 year 11 months since its release.

Meaning an ARPG sold 76.36% of the best selling TBRPG (of SQEX) in 10.3% of the time it took the later to reach those figures.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
That's misleading. FF7 sold about 10 million on the PS1 within 4-5 years. Then the 1 million up to 2015 was just on the PS3/PSP/Vita, which happened about a decade later.
So comparing like for like would be comparing the 10 million to whatever figure XV reaches by the end of the PS4, which will almost definitely be less than 10 million. Sales tend to decrease quite heavily over time, so it's very unlikely it'll sell another 1.5 million after 2.5 years, unless of course they do add more to it and release another retail version (or maybe if Episode Ardyn happens to be incredible and it generates enough buzz)

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
I think changing demographics also need to be considered here...
Yeah, turn based RPGs were very popular in gaming many years ago, but now paradigms have shifted. It's not anything to do with the validity of the genre, there is just a different audience with different tastes. Of course I don't have a graph or anything though.
Beyond that, Nomura just likes action games.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
That's misleading. FF7 sold about 10 million on the PS1 within 4-5 years. Then the 1 million up to 2015 was just on the PS3/PSP/Vita, which happened about a decade later.
So comparing like for like would be comparing the 10 million to whatever figure XV reaches by the end of the PS4, which will almost definitely be less than 10 million. Sales tend to decrease quite heavily over time, so it's very unlikely it'll sell another 1.5 million after 2.5 years, unless of course they do add more to it and release another retail version (or maybe if Episode Ardyn happens to be incredible and it generates enough buzz)
My point (my bad in not making it clear) was that XV was the fastest selling game in the franchise, Square itself says so.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
My point (my bad in not making it clear) was that XV was the fastest selling game in the franchise, Square itself says so.
Doesn't that just have more to do with built up hype and controvercy? People tend to flock towards things with an unusual circumstance. A game overdue by five years with ten years of notoriety is something most people would have wanted to see ASAP rather than wait around for reviews.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
What's funny is that Bravely Default and Octopath Traveller showed that turn-based systems are still utterly loved, and that they can work in a modern game. However, with the need to create games with as much mass appeal as possible, an action RPG is the compromise.

I do have hope that they will still present a lot of the RPG side of things, if the targeting system is anything to go by. However, the core of VII's system to me is the Materia, and what they do with magic is really the defining issue here.

To be fair both of those games are on a portable system. I’m not saying that makes your point any less relevant, but I still think it’s different than a huge AAA game on a PS4. That being said, Dragon Quest XI seems to be doing just fine as did Persona.

I will love the remake no matter what. It can be “Dance Dance Revolution: Final Fantasy VII Edition” and I will still love it and defend it to my grave. But as time has gone by, I prefer action RPGs to turn-based styles these days. I still think there is a place for turn-based games and there are still ways to spice them up, but I enjoy the action more and feel they are more immersive as far as combat goes.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
What were they referring to with the 'one major game per year' though? Just the main Square Enix Japan devs? Cos surely Tomb Raider and Dragon Quest XI count as major games for 2018 as well?
My impression is they mean high profile games. So...

I’m pretty sure they were referring to KH3, 7R, Avengers Project. I think there’s a slide out there from one of the internal presentations

My running theory is that there's only one "Game", the basic install.

So that's how I think VII-R is going to work: You pay for the initial digital download or CD (CD's these days seem to just be data dumps and you have to install content from online anyways), and every part after just shoves more data onto your hardrive to continue where you left off.

So it'll probably be impossible for anyone to play the remake's second part (and onward) without already having purchased and completed part 1.

That has also been my theory for a while. One App on the PS4 dashboard/PS5 dashboard that grows in size with each part.

However I will disagree about making Part 1 mandatory to own as that makes Part 2 story content that is locked out without first buying something else. Players will probably be unable to access the Part 1 locations and unable to backtrack but I can’t see Part 2 itself be totally locked unless Part 2 has like a data install comparable to Read Dead Redemption 2 where it adds your missing data if you don’t already own Part 1. It could just put you in at a predetermined level.

I’m not sure why people would skip a part though.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
To be fair both of those games are on a portable system. I’m not saying that makes your point any less relevant, but I still think it’s different than a huge AAA game on a PS4. That being said, Dragon Quest XI seems to be doing just fine as did Persona..

I was just about to counter your point with those very two additional examples, so I'm glad you brought them up, lol. The need for traditional turn based games is certainly there, but the real sentiment I wanted to make here was that action-RPGs appeal more to a wider audience, which is more and more a requirement / need for many big companies. The trend is shifting more to smaller companies embracing the 'niche', at least from what I've witnessed.

I disagree with the 'initial install + additional downloads' theory of the Remakes composition. That's a heck of a lot of data, with each part hosting all new areas, items, enemies, materia, mini-games, etc... I just can't see that working. And isn't SE very anti-patch / uploads anyway? I mean, they prefer to have as much as possible on a disc, whether that's a consideration for download limits, speeds or not. I seem to remember that XV was delayed for a bit so that the base printed game could have all the newest improvements on them - though saying that, that still did not stop the day one patch of course, lol. Or am I remembering wrong?

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
It could just as easily be disc data, although disc-switching seems a little frowned on these days in favor of data installs as far as people go? I dunno.

My main point is the idea that I really don't think it's a good to make FFVII pt 2 just playable on it's own. It provides too many complications that are easily sidestepped by just treating it as an extension of the original first part's software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom