Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
Part 2 should be playable on its own.

I mean if they’re treating as “multiple full sized” as Kitase has stated then Part 2 onwards should really be playable no matter what. You just don’t get to experience the story up to that point yourself.

It wouldn’t be disc switching either until the next part comes along and you can just use that to play the whole content upto the end of the Part you own.

If you don’t own Part 1 then Part 2 just adds the software to your console anyway. I am in agreement with each part being an add-on of sorts, it’s just locking Part 2 content behind not owing Part 1 would be mad (despite me not quite getting why you’d jump in at the second part as you’ll miss the first part of the story anyway)

I do think an install disc is an option.

If SE have planned this out with careful consideration then all Parts form a single piece of software and eventually allow you, for example, to freely travel the planet by the end of the final part as is in the original and return to Part 1 content. All content will be in your console by the time you’ve downloaded the final Part. Install discs may be required.

Perhaps part 2 onwards allow you to buy either Part 2 on its own or Part 1 + Part 2 bundle.

Also in response to the XV stuff, the game has had quite a few patches

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
I just don't see why anyone WOULD just jump into part two. It seems like trying to come up with solutions for a very stupid minority.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Well no-one would really jump into Lightning Returns if they hadn't played the first 2 games either.

That's not a perfect analogy because those stories are much more detached. But still, I seriously doubt anyone bought that who hadn't played the original.

The Mass Effect approach seems best to me. They're clearly part of a trilogy, but they just frame it so that they're kinda separate stories, so that they can be standalone games. FF7 could easily do something similar with a bit of tweaking to the story.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
RE: XV - yeah I know it had a lot of patches, but SE were quite adamant that they wanted as much as possible contained on the actual disc itself. This concept certainly flew out the window with all the updates and improvements and player feedback which they needed to do to the game, but that was their goal.

I can't see the Remake being in the same position, with a base game and masses of updates / data to download on top of it. Each part is more likely to be a single self-contained game (install disc or not) with a defined end point and areas that can reached.

The Mass Effect approach seems best to me. They're clearly part of a trilogy, but they just frame it so that they're kinda separate stories, so that they can be standalone games. FF7 could easily do something similar with a bit of tweaking to the story.

Yes, this is the most likely scenario that I forsee.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
The problem with each part being a separate game is that you couldn't revisit old locations. Which you even need to do for the story! So there's an issue.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
How so? You only really need to backtrack or revisit old locations right at the end for the Mega-Materia section. Anything before that, areas can be locked off for each story segment of the disc.

I assume that the final disc would have the whole world opened up for backtracking and exploration. This is, of course, assuming that we even get a standard airship at all.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
How so? You only really need to backtrack or revisit old locations right at the end for the Mega-Materia section. Anything before that, areas can be locked off for each story segment of the disc.

I assume that the final disc would have the whole world opened up for backtracking and exploration. This is, of course, assuming that we even get a standard airship at all.

People tend to not want to be locked out of areas like that. Look at how much flack XIII got.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
That's my personal preference too ... but I just can't see the Remake being as open as people are expecting it to be based on the original.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
I'm not disagreeing, at all, lol. But being pragmatic, I can't see them pulling it off. There has got to be a compromise in there somewhere.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The compromise is supposed to be putting up with the extra cost of multiple parts. We're giving them a lot of time, and benefit of the doubt here. The least they can do is make sure they make use of the full package and data available.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
If SE start locking people out of revisitable locations for the Remake and then pay wall the side quests and shit until the final episode people will riot, and rightfully so.

That's stupid. Being episodic like *that* isn't pragmatic. That's lazy.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Why would they pay wall the side quests? Any side quests will just be tied into the respective disc / instalment until the final one where it presumably opens up everything for the player.

People are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment if they believe that there will not be compromises within this 3-instalment or so Remake, that's all I'm trying to put across here.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well each "disc" of the game has separate side quests and revisitable locations that you can travel to do things in.

From Fort Condor, to Wutai, to various other side quests that allow one to do things even outside of the progression of the main story.

So if they end up making each installment just a linear, play-by-play of the plot that only allows you to playthrough the story and nothing else in in comparison to how said progression played in the original FFVII, people are gonna shit on it hard.

And they should, whatever "compromises" they decide to make won't excuse a shitty decision. S-E were lambasted for making it episodic for fear of cuts and crap like this. Them proving detractors right would be rightfully disappointing.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
So if they end up making each installment just a linear, play-by-play of the plot that only allows you to playthrough the story and nothing else in in comparison to how said progression played in the original FFVII, people are gonna shit on it hard.

No one is suggesting this?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Um, you said...

That's my personal preference too ... but I just can't see the Remake being as open as people are expecting it to be based on the original.

So that's what I was responding to. If they cut back on the sidequests and revisitable locations of the game due to it being an episodic release and only make the episodes just a play-by-play of the story where you can do nothing else, then that'll be a problem. Fans will rightfully complain upon seeing how the episodic release has diminished the replayability and content of the "episodes" they've had to buy.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Why would they pay wall the side quests? Any side quests will just be tied into the respective disc / instalment until the final one where it presumably opens up everything for the player.

You are misinterpreting my post. I never mentioned 'episodic', or that people won't be able to do the side-quests - just that any sidequest or backtracking will be related to the 'disc' and area that they are on, not unlike the original, with full openness only available on the final instalment. So I don't understand the issue here.

When i said that people cant expect the Remake to be as open as the original, Im talking about the flow of the story will be tightened, with perhaps only a few areas that may only be accessible per instalment. That is the most likely compromise. You can do the sidequests pertaining to that instalment but you wouldnt be able to backtrack to it from a latter part until the final part most likely.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oops, seems like I did misunderstand then. :mon:

As long as the episodes themselves allow you to experience what you were able to play in that respective point of the game, that'd make sense.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah you do.

Which is why I would be very concerned if suddenly you couldn't revisit locations and do stuff since that'd just kinda fly in the face of the past :mon:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Even with the Tiny Bronco though, you still can't go back into Midgar or access the non-coastal islands/landmasses though.
I don't see why the separate game installments wouldn't be able to keep access to both the Eastern and Western continents?

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Man I get peeved in FFIX when roots block off locations on Disc 4! I DONT CARE IF YOUR BEAUTIFUL CG FINALE NEEDS THE DISC SPACE LEMME INTO CONDE PETIE

I don't think I even noticed this. Where else gets blocked?

I was mostly just annoyed you can't go back to Cleyra.

a_apple

Pro Adventurer
AKA
orange
I mean, the only reason I'm accepting of the multi-parts thing is so that Square doesn't have to cut corners the way they've been doing for the last decade or so. Locking out areas because it's now on a different disc feels like a corner cut, and will seriously ding the remake.
I think KHIII/FFXV kinda proofs that SE is not able to handle their AAA games anymore. So I'm kinda glad that FFVII is being broken up in multiple parts. It's probably the only way for us to get a game that doesn't feel rushed or empty as fug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom