• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I hope the remake comes with dual audio and localization on disc (FFXV set the bar with 4 language & localization options on disc), if dual audio on disc is not possible I'd like it to be a (free) DLC pack.

I could not agree more. If they’re going to continue the trend of giving their VAs bollocks for pacing and gestures that only match the Japanese dialogue, let me watch it like a foreign film at least. The differences in pronounciation from my headcanon won’t seem so jarring that way, as well!

My big fear is that we’ll see even more truncated dialogue than the OG now that delivery time is the main factor rather than text boxes.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
No doubt one reason the remake is taking so long is that SE actually has to make all these decisions. And I assume that sometimes they make the wrong decision and then they see it doesn't work and they have to go back to the drawing board.
Absolutely agree with this. Didn’t the interview with Biwa from Div 1 from last July (and translated at the beginning of this year) basically confirm it too?

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Quite a lot of people were annoyed just from ditching turn-based battles. I remember talking to someone in a comment section who was genuinely acting like their dreams were over because of this one aspect.

The only things that are sacred for me are the main plot points, the characters and the main locations. Like if you get rid of Vincent or Cosmo Canyon, we're gonna have a problem :-) (I probably wouldn't care if you ditched Cait Sith or Gongaga though)

But a lot of fans would. I would. I mean, I know the point of this thread is for us to express what we'd each, as individuals, like to see, but SE has to please all of us with all our contradictory hopes and expectations. To some extent they're on a hiding to nothing.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Well at least with a remake they have the guide of the original game. If in doubt, just copy that.

Also, if they're unsure a new thing will be well received, just try and make it optional.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
Optional characters a dated design choice? How do you mean?

It's outdated in that to do so now wouldn't be the reason they were optional before; Characters that the developers really really liked but just couldn't find the time to work fully into the game so half-measures had to be made. Given the opportunity, they might still have been optional but the ability to incorporate them more fully into the game is also there.

At this point SE is relying less and less on prerecorded CGI footage to tell their stories. Games like Kingdom Hearts pretty much didn't use FMVs at all except as eye candy for the introduction and ending of each game. Games like FFXIII-2 have even started incorporating fully real-time sequences where the exact same events can happen but with alternate costumes.

In the era of the PS4 and soon PS5, it's likely going to be possible to have entirely different sequences of events play out in real time based on different event flags, and storage space and the decrease in required file-size to portray prerecorded high quality CGI means that even alternative CGs with different character is a potential option should they feel the need to go that route.

With that said, there's nothing to say they need to be manditory, except a presumption that any hard work put into those optional characters could possibly not be acknowledged if a player (somehow) decided not to pursue those characters. I can't imagine why anyone would skip out on two of the more popular B-roll playable characters, but there you go.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Optional characters a dated design choice? How do you mean?

I wasn't saying "dated" to mean bad. It's just something you wouldn't see nowadays. When was the last time a linear story-driven game had major characters like this as optional? It's something you only see in other gaming genres nowadays. Never in a story-driven RPG.

The first time I played FF7, I actually didn't get either of them. Which is so weird to imagine now, with how well loved these characters are. Vincent especially is one of the most popular in the game.

Last edited:

donkeyjack

Pro Adventurer
I mean unless it was Chrono Cross. I don't think it is bad that Vincent and Yuffie are no longer optional characters. I don't even think that is dated.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I wasn't saying "dated" to mean bad. It's just something you wouldn't see nowadays. When was the last time a linear story-driven game had major characters like this as optional? It's something you only see in other gaming genres nowadays. Never in a story-driven RPG.

Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Pillars of Eternity, Xenoblade Chronicles, basically any RPG that uses party dynamics rather than solo character...?

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Yeah I wouldn't consider the practice dated. Vincent and his story does reveal such crucial elements of FF7's plot that he likely never should have been optional, though. Yuffie could be.

They were made optional, due to budget cuts.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Pillars of Eternity, Xenoblade Chronicles, basically any RPG that uses party dynamics rather than solo character...?

Which of the main characters in Mass Effect and Xenoblade Chronicles are optional? DLC doesn't count. That has to be optional by its very nature.

Ite

AKA
Ite
I wouldn’t say a play through without Vincent cripples the story. I think you can get the full FF7 experience without knowing anything about Lucrecia or the details of how the Jenova Project went down, and this is coming from a guy whose novelization of FF7 is called "The Jenova Project." It's great lore, sure, and it can make the final showdown with Hojo more dramatic -- if you care about Vincent and his story. But they aren't exactly intermeshed with the main plot.

Which of the main characters in Mass Effect and Xenoblade Chronicles are optional? DLC doesn't count. That has to be optional by its very nature.
- Garrus
- Wrex
- Grunt
- Legion
- Samara
- Thane
- Morinth
- Everyone in Mass Effect 3

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
- Garrus
- Wrex
- Grunt
- Legion
- Samara
- Thane
- Morinth
- Everyone in Mass Effect 3

So they are. Lol I didn't notice that because I always just recruited all of them.

Was this true in the newest Mass Effect? I didn't play that.
I still don't think it's true in Xenoblade Chronicles though. Unless I've completely not noticed that too....

Last edited:

Ite

AKA
Ite
Well for XC2 it's about assembling a team of Blades, who are distinct characters -- perhaps less richly detailed than a main FF party member, but more than a FF summon.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I'm 90% sure it isn't true in the original Xenoblade Chronicles though. It's been a while since I played it, but I'm sure I would've noticed that, because all of the main characters, except maybe Ricki, are essential to the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom