• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Now there's a conundrum. How the hell are they going to handle Cait Sith? D'you think they'll really bring back that big fat toy moogle?

Well I mean, why wouldn't they?

The question I have is, will they actually explain why the party doesn't question a robot cat/toy moogle combo just forcing themselves into the party.

Because

I know there's a lot of weird shit in the world of VII but surely that kind of thing isn't a common enough occurence for people to just accept. :wacky:
Even with RedXIII being a talking lion/wolf hybrid thing it was like "yeah I ain't seen that shit before"

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I also call him Nanaki. Makes for interesting conversations later on lol. Nanaki himself tells the party that hojo calls him red xiii so you would have thought a highly intelligent being would resent being called by his specimen code name. The only logical conclusion I come to is that he doesn't fully trust the group/ people enough at this point to divulge his actual name.
I mean, I guess it suits Nanaki's character, that he might not be into the idea of talking about himself in general. Doesn't want to make friends, just wants a ride home.
Makes me think about that scene in Cosmo Canyon where Bugen's like "what nanaki didn't tell you he's like basically 16?" and he's like "grandpa you're embarrassing me." *paraphrasing
But this is me finding justification for a detail that always felt a bit off to me, too.

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
My emotions are mixed right now. I've been wanting this forever, and never thought it would ever happen. At first, ecstatic, with tears in the eyes. Now, all I can do is worry that it won't come close to the original.

Reading through this thread you realize just how many special moments there were in the original game that will be very challenging to remaster. This is a huge undertaking by Square.. HUGE. Will they treat it with the respect and delicate hands that it deserves considering it's a 'REMAKE' and not a new game? Sometimes when you're working on old material the motivation isn't what it is if it's all fresh and new.

I think it comes down to how special this game really is to those guys. If it's as special (or moreso) to them as it is to us, then I could see this being, hands down, the greatest game ever made -- just as the original was. If it's not.. if it's treated as something that just 'has to be done to appease the masses' .. then it will be soulless and a huge letdown.

That all said, here are a few 'must haves' for me.

1) World map - I don't care how they do it, as long as they bring some sort of world map back that you actually explore. None of this dotted line-travel to new area crap like in Lost Odyssey or some other recent RPGs. Being able to travel the world map makes you feel so much a part of the world.

2) Soundtrack - Do not bastardize it. We don't need a techno/hard rock/anime remake of everything; just give it more modern VIs so that it fits in this decade, but keep the original melodies intact.

3) Story - Keep the core intact. I think all of us are OK with them introducing a few new elements here or there (who wouldn't love new missions or side quests that give more insight into the wonderful world they live in?).. but don't change what was already perfect at its heart. If they do this, I think it will be a huge mistake.

4) Secrets - The original game was filled with all kinds of secrets. Materia, chocobo farming, weapons, etc. Keep the discovery element alive by having the same kinds of things in the remake (changing the location/timing of these would be fine, but keep them involved in some form.)

5) Aeris - While most of us cried when Sephiroth took her away, don't go changing what is still to this day the most emotional moment ever in a videogame. I wouldn't mind if they introduced some way for you to interact with her later on in the game (whether it be something spiritual or something along those lines) but, again, don't mess with the core.

6) Story Milestones - Building on the Aeris mention, keep, and even enhance, on the milestones along your journey. Aeris' death, Seto's death, Cloud's past, etc. These were all emotionally charged moments that kept you playing the original all through the night without bathroom or food breaks. Don't toss these away for the sake of 'something new'. They were perfect in their original form; just make them better.

I could go on for weeks, but those are some at the top of my list.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
3) Story - Keep the core intact. I think all of us are OK with them introducing a few new elements here or there (who wouldn't love new missions or side quests that give more insight into the wonderful world they live in?).. but don't change what was already perfect at its heart. If they do this, I think it will be a huge mistake.
I'd encourage you to take a peek at this here article.
One of the few things we have been assured at this point is that they're working to add to and improve both the story and gameplay, rather than change anything.
It's very reassuring.

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
I'd encourage you to take a peek at [edited]
One of the few things we have been assured at this point is that they're working to add to and improve both the story and gameplay, rather than change anything.
It's very reassuring.

I'm not sure I take their "more plot devices in the story" as confirmation they won't be tinkering with the original story too much.

I'm optimistic; I just want them to do the original justice.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
"More plot devices" is such an incomprehensible word choice to me, that I chalked it up to poor translation, and trusted the paragraph following that a bit more. But maybe I, too, am just being optimistic.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
It's hard to be entirely optimistic knowing the glory of the original seems part accident and part the work of extensive talent that isn't at the company anymore, isn't it. These were all fears about a potential remake we're now living in motion, it's exciting.

Mangakamary

Rookie Adventurer
I don't think square enix is trying to make final fantasy 7 remake so good to where it beats the origional. I think it will be great, but I don't think they are going to replace the origional game by releasing this remake.. so all I can hope for is great gameplay and the new fresh look of the characters :From

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
It's hard to be entirely optimistic knowing the glory of the original seems part accident and part the work of extensive talent that isn't at the company anymore, isn't it. These were all fears about a potential remake we're now living in motion, it's exciting.

Exactly how I feel.

It's difficult to improve on, or to even sustain, perfection.

When it comes down to it, though, I'd rather them attempt to than not. I'd say I'm ecstatic at the possibilities but am tempering my optimism because I just don't see how they're going to pull this off in a way that won't be a letdown in some form -- be that due to 'you can't go back and do it all over for the first time' feeling or whether they will alter it for the worse in some way.

This probably won't change for me until I can see it played and get a feel for how it's going to be.

This game is just so monumental for me.. it should be revered in a ^#$! sanctuary all by itself that sits higher than the clouds, while other incredible games are still at ground level. It's just that good.

Dravin

Awaiting 2017
There was another thing I forgot to mention. I hope they keep the quirky banter between characters, especially in moments like climbing those endless stairs in Shinra Tower. Barret and Tifa going at it was just gold.

"Stop acting like a retard and climb!"

"Don't wanna see... no more stairs..."

It would be awesome to hear lines like that in the remake. I always went the long way both for the dialogue and the weapon for Red XIII that would show up later on.

Oh, and also, I really hope they bring Nobuo back to update the soundtrack. No one else should even touch it but him.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
Exactly how I feel.

It's difficult to improve on, or to even sustain, perfection.

When it comes down to it, though, I'd rather them attempt to than not. I'd say I'm ecstatic at the possibilities but am tempering my optimism because I just don't see how they're going to pull this off in a way that won't be a letdown in some form -- be that due to 'you can't go back and do it all over for the first time' feeling or whether they will alter it for the worse in some way.

This probably won't change for me until I can see it played and get a feel for how it's going to be.

This game is just so monumental for me.. it should be revered in a ^#$! sanctuary all by itself that sits higher than the clouds, while other incredible games are still at ground level. It's just that good.

Yea. Very few of the stories Square have delivered besides FFT PSX even come close to FF7's greatness, the only other one that goes neck and neck and arguably has a head over it is Xenogears... And that game's concept was ironically meant to be FF7 before it was deftly refused for being too dark.

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
Yea. Very few of the stories Square have delivered besides FFT PSX even come close to FF7's greatness, the only other one that goes neck and neck and arguably has a head over it is Xenogears... And that game's concept was ironically meant to be FF7 before it was deftly refused for being too dark.

Mostly agree with this (I liked FFT but would sub FFX in its place).

No other RPG has ever come close to those three for me (Xeno, FFVII, FFX), and VII is in a stratosphere all by itself.

Last edited:

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
I just realized, lots of inns only have like two beds.

Having fun imagining the whole crew trying to sleep in that truck interior beneath the Gold Saucer.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
Could you imagine sleeping in that to wake up and find that weird guy who follows you round laughing, inches from your face.

Dravin

Awaiting 2017
Another thing I hope they keep is the banter between the characters in scenes such as the stairwell climb in Shinra HQ. The interactions between Tifa and Barret were priceless, and I hope they're still there in the remake.

"Would you stop acting like a retard and climb?!"

"Don't never wanna see... no more stairs... the rest o' my life..."

Oh, and one other thing. I really hope they bring Nobuo back to update the soundtrack. No one else should even touch it.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
tumblr_inline_n56tztIb991rvhi11.png

:monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Now there's a conundrum. How the hell are they going to handle Cait Sith? D'you think they'll really bring back that big fat toy moogle? They should, considering that's the thing that actually hits the enemies.

Advent Children Complete had him, so I'd be willing to bet that our big ol' lovable Moogle is still here, too.

cait-sith-riding-his-moogle.png

It will be interesting to see what the characters decide to call Red XIII and how his name is displayed on screen after his real name is revealed to be Nanaki, since we likely won't be choosing character names, so that text won't be user-selected, and we'll actually have to see how each character deals with it.

I think that'll give a lot of interesting little subtleties like possibly encounters with Hojo still referring to him as "Red XIII" and other characters correcting him with "Nanaki" in replies.

X :neo:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm also guessing we'll see cutscenes with the entire group now instead of just the party members you selected. Which I'm fine with. :monster:
Vincent and Yuffie I can't imagine anything but mandatory at this point.

Doing it any other way would probably be way too much work with the way cinematic cutscenes are done these days.

Lex

Administrator
I hope there's ambient party dialogue. Like when you choose your party and you're wandering around, they comment on the environment or have conversations with each other.

I also hope we're not forced to use Cloud as a controllable character. Yes, he should remain the main focus of the story but they could easily do something similar to FFXII where when you enter a battle-free area like a town you control Cloud, but everywhere else it's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom