• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
How can they rewrite the Gi cave to make more sense? The basics make sense enough...

• The Gi were a tribe of evil things that attacked Cosmo Canyon
  • Seto fought them off and got turned to stone
  • Bugenhagen sealed off the cave, presumably to keep the Gi ghosts out of the village.
But Bugenhagen only sealed the cave on one side. On the other side there is a rear entrance that leads to an open valley where Seto is. Except the rear is sealed off by a big evil statue face thing... so... Seto drove the Gi into the cave through the rear (towards the village) and the Gi sealed themselves inside with a big evil statue face while Bugenhagen simultaneously sealed the front entrance of the cave before the Gi could make their way into the village? Meanwhile Nanaki's mother fought the Gi in a different location than Seto (he supposedly abandoned her on the front line to head off the enemy at the rear), which implies the Gi attacked from another point besides than the rear of the cave, but Seto supposedly kept the Gi from "taking one step into the canyon." I can't for the life of me figure out how any of it adds up.

Even more bizarre is that Nanaki grew up hating his father and Bugenhagen never noticed this or commented on it until you arrive there with your party. Bugenhagen says he promised Seto not to tell anyone the truth of what happened? Why would Seto want that? And Bugenhagen ultimately breaks his promise anyway.

One step into the canyon= the settlement. Seto killed everything in front of him, probably from the entrance to the cave to where his statue is, explaining why everything in the cave is undead. Possibly the statue is some mystical protection that seals the gate from his side.

If Nanaki knew about his father, he'd want to visit his grave, and get killed by the spirits of the Gi. So Bugenhagen kept quiet until he was strong enough to survive the trip.

lentils on lent

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Seto fighting to keep them out of the cave makes the most sense. The statue face thing is clearly some kind of manifestation of the Gi spirits. It is unclear how or why the Gi ghosts would create this thing to seal themselves inside the cave.

There is also the question of where Nanaki's mother was when Seto "abandoned" her to be killed, considering that all Gi were busy fighting Seto at the cave entrance and unable to get past him.

Actually, something I just thought of.... Seto's body isn't even inside the cave. Nanaki and the others could have gone around the back to see him. The only reason the game doesn't put Seto in the cave is so they can have that shot of the moon behind him, which is beautiful and perhaps worth the plot hole. But I wonder if there is another way.

I like the idea that Nanaki kept his feelings bottled up inside himself. The ghosts sealed inside the cave become a parable for his repressed emotions. I can see Nanaki keeping quiet about his feelings, but I have a hard time imagining that no one in the village would mention Seto's heroism. I would maybe rewrite it so that everyone praises Seto as a great warrior but Nanaki thinks it's all a sham because he has memories of his father running away from his mother, which he never talks about. Then you have the issue of why Nanaki chooses that moment in the game to open up Cloud and the others about something he's kept repressed his entire life. I'd want to finesse the script in that area too.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
I'll try to find the exact quote, but I do remember that when you're in Cosmo Canyon, and Red XIII starts talking smack about how his father was a coward, Bugenhagen is surprised, which implies he did keep his resentments bottled up.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
i think the final Gi (The boss) was the last one Seto killed before turning into stone. And him just watching over the cave full of his fallen enemies was enough to put anything else off, so he's still protecting the cave in that sense. You never really get to see the cave 'Face thing' from the other side 'Gi's attack perspective' so it could be that any would be attackers would see a dead Gi leader and a big angry catdog looking down on them with a look of 'it didn't end well for them, but you're welcome to try.'

Also.. Completely unrelated.. If it's safe to assume that ffxv is going to be on one disk, and is said to be a massive open world. Is it not then safe to assume that the scale and detail of the remake will be at least the same scale as that. I see no other reason to need multiple disks worth of space. The graphics don't look any better (if anything a tiny bit worse).

hian

Purist
:
Also.. Completely unrelated.. If it's safe to assume that ffxv is going to be on one disk, and is said to be a massive open world. Is it not then safe to assume that the scale and detail of the remake will be at least the same scale as that. I see no other reason to need multiple disks worth of space. The graphics don't look any better (if anything a tiny bit worse).

FFXV won't actually be open world. It will be separated into zones apparently, according to Tabata. In that sense, it's likely that FF7:R will follow a similar format.

More importantly, space in terms of development is not just taken up by land-scapes and textures =P
Anyone can make a super-sized world filled with shitty generic MMO environments (there's even an engine just for mass-producing high fidelity random environments like this).
Content on the other hand, is alpha omega I.E
How big FF7's world is secondary to how many unique moving models, cut-scenes, dialogue, interactive environmental parts, etc. the world is filled with.

Splitting up the remake might also make sense even if all of it would fit on one disk, because the amount of content they plan to put into it is so vast that if they were to release it all in one shot, we'd have to wait 5+ years for the release of that, and that's not a development cycle that's economically feasible for SE at this point.

So I don't hope anyone is expecting the parts themselves to be as big as FFVX - although, I'd say it's reasonable to expect they might contain more "going-ons"/active game-play densely packed throughout the parts than in FFVX, and the game ending up larger in total.

Some math -
If we imagine the PS4 disk as having a capacity of 100, and FFXV being somewhere in the 90's range, it is not necessary for each part of FF7:R to be in the 90's range to justify the split.

All that is necessary is for FFVII:R to be somewhere above the 100 range.

Even if the game is just 110 in total, that would still require a split, even if that would likely result in two parts in the 55 range, both thus quite a but smaller than FFVX.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
More importantly, space in terms of development is not just taken up by land-scapes and textures =P
Anyone can make a super-sized world filled with shitty generic MMO environments (there's even an engine just for mass-producing high fidelity random environments like this).
Content on the other hand, is alpha omega I.E
How big FF7's world is secondary to how many unique moving models, cut-scenes, dialogue, interactive environmental parts, etc. the world is filled with.

Splitting up the remake might also make sense even if all of it would fit on one disk, because the amount of content they plan to put into it is so vast that if they were to release it all in one shot, we'd have to wait 5+ years for the release of that, and that's not a development cycle that's economically feasible for SE at this point.

So I don't hope anyone is expecting the parts themselves to be as big as FFVX - although, I'd say it's reasonable to expect they might contain more "going-ons"/active game-play densely packed throughout the parts than in FFVX, and the game ending up larger in total.

Some math -
If we imagine the PS4 disk as having a capacity of 100, and FFXV being somewhere in the 90's range, it is not necessary for each part of FF7:R to be in the 90's range to justify the split.

All that is necessary is for FFVII:R to be somewhere above the 100 range.

Even if the game is just 110 in total, that would still require a split, even if that would likely result in two parts in the 55 range, both thus quite a but smaller than FFVX.

Not only that, but Nomura did say few years back that because the original game was fairly large with three disks(not to mention it was actually the very first Final Fantasy title in 3D models and gamplay, part of the 10th Anniversary since the first Final Fantasy title came out), the development for the remake will be extremely huge, especially now that they're adding new story content(and I know I've said this a million times, but I'm hoping it'll make more sense due to the Compilation of FFVII).

Plus, FFXV was originally meant for PS3, but due to Nomura taking his sweet time for the past eight years before Tabata took over and Nomura left for other projects, including FFVII:R and KH3, 1-things started to go more smoothly for FFXV, and 2-PS4 obviously had the technology they needed for both Final Fantasy titles now.

Though I wouldn't be too surprised if the Remake ended up being shifted to PS5 like FFXV was shifted to PS4, due to how big the development is. Plus with the way the money all over the world is pretty much bad at the moment, it'll take twice as long.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I would be. If it was in development for 18 months when it was announced, that means it was started before the PS4 was even out. So that would require even a greater delay than XV's 10 years.

hian

Purist
I doubt it will be shifted for the following reasons :

1. I think it's safe to say the first part will be released in 2017, and certainly on PS4 granted statements of the team about their focus on that particular hardware. With that being said, and the likelihood of carry over data, or a single installed game-file being added to with each part, pushing it over won't be feasible.

2. PS5 is pretty far down the line, if at all considering the direction Sony is going with game streaming services etc. and just like they couldn't afford to have this game lag in 5+ years, they can't afford to have it lag to the next platform releases pluss the costs of porting it.

Simply put - I don't see that ever happening. The likelihood of it being cancelled is higher than it being pushed over to a new platform, though non seem likely at this time.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I doubt it will be shifted for the following reasons :

1. I think it's safe to say the first part will be released in 2017, and certainly on PS4 granted statements of the team about their focus on that particular hardware. With that being said, and the likelihood of carry over data, or a single installed game-file being added to with each part, pushing it over won't be feasible.

2. PS5 is pretty far down the line, if at all considering the direction Sony is going with game streaming services etc. and just like they couldn't afford to have this game lag in 5+ years, they can't afford to have it lag to the next platform releases pluss the costs of porting it.

Simply put - I don't see that ever happening. The likelihood of it being cancelled is higher than it being pushed over to a new platform, though non seem likely at this time.

I guess I see your point, and I wouldn't be too surprised if they cancelled the game itself. However, I do recall(though knowing Nomura, he can very well change his mind and announce it's cancellation or re-do it as a new title of the Compilation-though that's unlikely as well) that we won't get anymore information on the game until after FFXV, World of Final Fantasy and KH 2.8 are released.

We'll probably get more info in August this year(Yay, eight more months of waiting again+Heavy Sarcasm+).

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Nomura, he can very well change his mind and announce it's cancellation
No he can't, because it's not up to him.

He's the director of the Remake, though, not Kitse(Ugh, I remember the names or certain words but for some reason, I keep forgetting how to spell them) this time.

hian

Purist
Nomura, he can very well change his mind and announce it's cancellation
No he can't, because it's not up to him.

He's the director of the Remake, though, not Kitse(Ugh, I remember the names or certain words but for some reason, I keep forgetting how to spell them) this time.

Which matters nothing. Kitase is the producer, and as I've harped on about before producer > director any and every day of the week.

If Nomura decides to jump ship he'll just be replaced at this point.

The only way FF7:R is ever getting cancelled is if SE goes broke, or if FFXV sells so well that if things get messy with the production of VII:R they can still afford to abort 18+ months worth of resources without screwing up their finances too much.

On a whim of Nomura who's "only" the director? Not by a long shot.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
The only way FF7:R is ever getting cancelled is if SE goes broke,

This is really the only was I can see it being cancelled. If the Remake was cancelled, you know SE has just gone down a black hole. Like this has been requested by fans for over 10 years, they're finally making it, it's already had 2 years in production...if they cancel this, they're screwed. :closedmonster:

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
If that happened, the boycott would be insane. :monster: our future children would read about it in economics class

hian

Purist
The only way FF7:R is ever getting cancelled is if SE goes broke,

This is really the only was I can see it being cancelled. If the Remake was cancelled, you know SE has just gone down a black hole. Like this has been requested by fans for over 10 years, they're finally making it, it's already had 2 years in production...if they cancel this, they're screwed. :closedmonster:

Well, we should put this into perspective though - this isn't Squaresoft, it's Square-ENIX, and what a lot of people don't realize is that Enix was the larger company essentially buying out Squaresoft. It was not a regular merger.

While FF is a flagship of SE, it is far from their only title (Dragon Quest being just as popular, if not more so in Japan) in addition to the fact that SE act as publishers for many other developers of other large titles, and are also involved in other ventures.

FF going down the drain would certainly put SE in disfavor among FF fans, but ultimately, if FFVX fails, and FFVII:R were to be cancelled, I think they'd ultimately just put FF out to pasture as a AAA gaming series, and move on to other things, and still be alright.
Just look at Konami. They've ditched everything that made the reputable as a gaming company, but they're not going bankrupt any time soon, since they're now putting full focus on the markets that earn them a bigger revenue for a lower cost in either case, pachinko and slot machines, and mobile gaming.

Now, I don't think this is likely to happen to SE, because I'm pretty confident FFVX will sell really well, and that part 1 of FFVII:R will sell really well too, so it's bound to generate enough revenue to float further AAA gaming ventures in the series.
With that being case, a cancellation just won't happen.
Even if the entire dev team develop terminal cancer, it won't change a thing. They'll still move forward at this point, because that's just what they have to do granted how far they moved ahead at this point.

I already made that point when I predicted the release of the game-play trailer prior to the PSX event, and the same logic and economical factors remain true for this.
You're not going to ditch a project that you've sunk so much time and resources into at this point, considering the interest you've already generated, and the share-value increases they've experiences after the announcements - unless the share-holders want to destroy their own revenue that is...

lentils on lent

Lv. 25 Adventurer
The more I examine the story the more I realize how challenging this remake is going to be. Moving on to Rocket Town there's a real big problem...

HOW ARE NINE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO FLOAT ACROSS THE OCEAN ON THE TINY BRONCO

They'll have to change it to a cargo plane.

Also I think it makes more sense to have Palmer repo the tiny bronco due to defunding rather than that nonsense about Shinra needing to "borrow the tiny bronco to go after Sephiroth." Shinra has an entire airforce.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
The more I examine the story the more I realize how challenging this remake is going to be. Moving on to Rocket Town there's a real big problem...

HOW ARE NINE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO FLOAT ACROSS THE OCEAN ON THE TINY BRONCO

They'll have to change it to a cargo plane.

Also I think it makes more sense to have Palmer repo the tiny bronco due to defunding rather than that nonsense about Shinra needing to "borrow the tiny bronco to go after Sephiroth." Shinra has an entire airforce.

Just because the plane's name is TINY BRONCO doesn't mean that the plane itself is tiny. Besides, they could always just make it bigger.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Considering the OG had legitimate occasions where only some of the group was present for more than just party restrictions, they could leave that part to just your party and have the others find you later. They could also scale up the Tiny Bronco to accommodate more than one person in the passenger seat and it should end up with a large enough wingspan to believably have the rest sitting on top of it. A cargo plane is far larger than what you'd need to fit that many people. If they really wanted to be realistic about that, they could change the Tiny Bronco into a water plane that can seat about a dozen people normally and have it float the way water planes do.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
He smoked in DoC. Even if they can't be as free with his language as when they could just censor text, he should still be able to say some harsh stuff.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
They could probably get away with "shit." No F-bombs, though.

I also don't see smoking being something they'd worry about censoring. It's still permissible within the teen rating.

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
They might not be able to have Cid drop an actual F-bomb, but I wouldn't mind if they had him start one and then the screen cut elsewhere. :awesome:

Edit: Just noticed the typo...said acid instead of Cid :wacky: Blaming it on my iPad....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom