• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Oh, TLS partly grew 10 or so years ago because of the announcement of the HD re-release (ACC), that caused some enthusiasm, :monster:

Then disappointment as they didn't actually go and re-render scenes in HD, just upscaled them and added some relatively jarring new scenes (in terms of quality / resolution change), lol :monster:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
It continues to lurk in the back of my head that they're going to combine Advent Children and On The Way To A Smile together to create a DLC episode once the core games are done. It'd be very unlike Square not to capitalize on the software developed for it to not extend it as far as possible. Especially since whatever the criticism, the iconography of AC still sells really well.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
...It evolved into Thelifestream.net when the original webhostess lost her shit and deleted it all in a fit, to be honest :mon:

But that's neither here nor there.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
One thing I never figured out in the original story is how Cloud managed to overpower Sephiroth and "kill him" in the Nibelheim reactor.

Wasn't the whole point that Cloud had failed to become a member of Soldier because he just wasn't good enough?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Maybe it's not the case of he wasn't good enough at all. Maybe ShinRa lied to him at some point during training because they knew how strong he was, but if one payed attention to how even Cloud had no idea what was going on with himself in Before Crisis during the Original AVALANCHE's attack of his strength, the instructors or whatever felt that if he couldn't control his strength without knowing how even he could do it he was potentially far too dangerous and that's why they failed him but didn't say that in fear that he could out-power Sephiroth.

If that makes sense. It's just my theory.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
He didn't make SOLDIER due weak confidence/sense of self. The Jenova cells would have dominated his will, just like they wound up doing. It didn't have anything to do with his physical capability, given that he got into a lot of fights as a kid, and the fact that he apparently could handle the Buster Sword pretty well even before being enhanced.

As for overpowering Sephiroth, that seemed more a matter of....limit breakiness, I imagine

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Lol that would be the worst Limit Break ever invented. It only activates after you've been impaled.

He HAD received Jenova cells before that point then, yes? Do they get them at the point they apply for Soldier or something? I can't remember these details at all.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
He didn't overpower him, he backstabbed him and got in a lucky break because Sephy was expecting less resistance from someone that was impaled at the time. Gameplay mechanic wise, every limit relies on taking damage.

Re exposition, sure it did. Those weren't good either.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
He HAD received Jenova cells before that point then, yes? Do they get them at the point they apply for Soldier or something? I can't remember these details at all.

No, he was just a regular trooper. Only SOLDIER members were injected with Jenova cells (until Hojo injected them into all of the NIbelheim survivors, specifically to cause the reaction for which Cloud was denied)

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
He didn't overpower him, he backstabbed him and got in a lucky break because Sephy was expecting less resistance from someone that was impaled at the time. Gameplay mechanic wise, every limit relies on taking damage.

He picked him up off the floor using the sword that was impaling him, and then threw him across the room. That definitely counts as overpowering in my books.

No, he was just a regular trooper. Only SOLDIER members were injected with Jenova cells (until Hojo injected them into all of the NIbelheim survivors, specifically to cause the reaction for which Cloud was denied)

That's what I'd originally thought. But I was thinking the Jenova cells were necessary to explain how he managed to get that extreme strength.

Because if he was capable of that kind of strength anyway, does that mean by the time ff7 starts, Cloud is basically a superhuman because he's also had Jenova cells?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I've always kinda attributed Jenova cells to making you hard to kill, more than super strength, per se. But they've never specifically outlined what Jenova provided and what the Mako shower provided.

But the idea of limit breaks, incredible feats when under extreme duress, is basically what happened in the reactor. And Sephiroth was already badly wounded at that point.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Being wounded doesn't change his body mass though. If Cloud could pick him up off the floor when wounded, he could necessarily do the same when not-wounded.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
@Chip The owner of the original AdventChildren.Net was an obsessive Sephiroth fangirl who claimed that she was married to him on the astral plain. When her interest in FF7 waned after the film's release, she redirected her obsession towards Cloverfield of all things.

I am sure the details are somewhere here. I think she has an Encyclopedia Dramatica article as well, but I don't particularly want to be looking for that on my work computer.

I believe part of TLS' mission was to distance itself from the crazy of AC.Net but I REMEMBER :monster:

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
My impression of Cloud is that he joined Shinra but lacked the confidence or any stand-out qualities to be considered for SOLDIER, yet had great latent ability.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
One thing I never figured out in the original story is how Cloud managed to overpower Sephiroth and "kill him" in the Nibelheim reactor.

Wasn't the whole point that Cloud had failed to become a member of Soldier because he just wasn't good enough?
I actually thought the leitmotif was the direct opposite. Cloud WAS good enough all along, he just didn’t know it and hence his failure was kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

That’s why the reveal of his true identity is so emotional and powerful. He’s been trying to suppress himself for so long out of shame and regret, and in the end he was more than good enough all along - in fact he was unprecedentedly strong. I feel this revelation gives him renewed impetus to finish the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom