• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Well, the trip from Midgar to the Northern Crater can plausibly take place over the course of weeks even months of long travelling by AVALANCHE. Act 3 is definitely the one week that's left before Meteorfall. Can't just have a sidequest to rebuild the Wutai Empire in that time.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I'm not talking about rebuilding an empire. More like one side quest which helps them building their own. Similar to Fort Condor, just not multiple times. We're not in the empire building business. Quite the opposite, actually, at least in regards to Shinra.

Though you guys do have a point that such things aren't really on people's minds in a doomsday scenario. The goal is to stop Meteor and Sephiroth. Everything that doesn't in some way contribute to that goal should probably be ignored.

pxp

Pro Adventurer
I'm not talking about rebuilding an empire. More like one side quest which helps them building their own. Similar to Fort Condor, just not multiple times. We're not in the empire building business. Quite the opposite, actually, at least in regards to Shinra.

Though you guys do have a point that such things aren't really on people's minds in a doomsday scenario. The goal is to stop Meteor and Sephiroth. Everything that doesn't in some way contribute to that goal should probably be ignored.
I was kinda speaking metaphorically but yeh, we’re on the same page.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Nah, we should be free to do all kinds of stuff. Just like in the original game. All the arcades in the Gold Saucer would be up and running, we can breed chocobos, hunt for rare materia. The whole nine.
Video gaming logic has it that defeating Sephiroth never was the simplest way to stop the Meteor. All it actually took was to keep playing mini-games and breeding chocobos till the end of time.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Probably not a popular opinion, but I personally wish that after the Midgar raid, you'd be given ~ 1 in-game week before the Meteor crashes (with the whole "bad-ending CGI cutscene") if you keep screwing around. It often breaks my immersion whenever there's a conflict between a story that describes an "emergency situation" and a gameplay that allows the player to do anything with all the time in the world.
Threats that are never followed-through with are empty.

Solordinn

Lv. 25 Adventurer
And speaking of highwind...
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Just imagine it in actual scale, flying at different mach speeds, which might be the best way to get around fast.

I just remember watching a behind the scenes video of beyond good and evil 2

Hanna

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
joinAVALANCHE
I agree about the idea of having a time limit at the end. That would be great for elevating the sense of urgency and making everything feel really pressing.

That said, I'm also pretty sure Gold Saucer and everything will stay open. Even in our real world, there have been several declarations that we're in a planetary crisis, but most people keep living on as usual. The time scales are of course different (as in, do we have a week or some decades to change things), but still, there will always be people who for various reasons just want to try to keep things running as they are for as long as they can.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, and then people would whine like hell, just like they whined about Lightning Returns having an easy to manage 13 day countdown to the end of the world.

Yeah, there's no reason to add an arbitrary countdown to a game where it never existed, was never designed to have such a thing exist, and doesn't exist throughout the majority of the whole game's duration. Adding sudden new mechanics with no precedent that drastically alter or limit gameplay is not usually seen as a good idea. All it'd do is frustrate and confuse players, who are already easily frustrated and confused given the last time a game had such a mechanic.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
And speaking of highwind...
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Just imagine it in actual scale, flying at different mach speeds, which might be the best way to get around fast.

I just remember watching a behind the scenes video of beyond good and evil 2

Good thing we’ll be flying the Highwind on PS6 where this tech is actually stable :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
FF4's planet was just called "the Blue Planet," right?

While I'm not as passionate about it as Shad, I mostly prefer "the Planet" because of the aforementioned uniqueness to FF7. Gaia is the name of IX's world, and I don't feel like I should have to specify :monster:

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Re: Gaia or not Gaia: while I'm totally ok with the world of FF VII being "the Planet", I was wondering if anyone had some info on the following item:

On the one hand...
The name however has never appeared in any of the FFVII titles proper and never been referenced in any Japanese sources, so it is purely a mistake perpetuated in English media.

On the other hand, there is an area in the game called "Gaea's Cliff", which reeks of a transcription error from "Gaia's Cliff". I'm curious about how that area is named in the original Japanese material and if that might be where the term "Gaia" might have sprung up from.

@Mayo Master

The cliffs are indeed called exactly ガイアの絶壁 [Gaia's Cliff] in the Japanese game. Even the field files are called "gaia" and "gaiin" (gaia interior).

Z0xvC5f.png

Without any Japanese material talking about the context of this cliff's name there is no way to connect it to the E3 2004 pamphlet. I would wager rather that the person who wrote the pamphlet either thought of The Spirits Within (and its Gaia concept) or the planet name of FFIX which is Gaia. The person who wrote the pamphlet probably only had a passing knowledge of Final Fantasy and ended up mixing franchise entries- and concepts together.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I doubt the person compiling the pamphlet for AC was ignorant of FFVII though. They probably made a similar assumption based on the location name since it'd make sense.

Honestly, I always figured that the planet's name was Gaia to the Ancients and they were the only ones who knew to call it that. With the extinction of all the Cetra, the name of the planet is lost except the vague clues that exist in some locations.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Every culture has it's own unique label or designation for the personification of the land they share with inhabitants of the planet's surface, even if the concept of a "planet" is not known to them.

"Terra" in Latin comes from the name of the Roman goddess Terra Mater. Mother Earth.

Greeks called this goddess Gaia.

The Nordic equivalent was Jord.

There are plentiful examples across all cultures. So while there may not be a definitive name for the concept of a "planet", that doesn't mean there are no terms for the personification or deity that represents the physical ground that all living things exist on.

The Cetra were able to literally speak to the planet. It would be highly probable, based on human nature, that they would eventually wish to anthropomorphisize the planet they speak to and protect. They aren't just seeing it as an inanimate object. The Planet is alive. It speaks. It's sentient. It would be perfectly natural and highly likely for it to have a name.

However given that the Cetra are fine now and most people don't see the planet as alive or capable of consciousness, of course they wouldn't give it a name.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Yeah, and then people would whine like hell, just like they whined about Lightning Returns having an easy to manage 13 day countdown to the end of the world.

Yeah, there's no reason to add an arbitrary countdown to a game where it never existed, was never designed to have such a thing exist, and doesn't exist throughout the majority of the whole game's duration. Adding sudden new mechanics with no precedent that drastically alter or limit gameplay is not usually seen as a good idea. All it'd do is frustrate and confuse players, who are already easily frustrated and confused given the last time a game had such a mechanic.

I disagree. They already said they're not making an exact copy of the original. There is going to be a lot of stuff added that wasn't in the original. I didn't mind the clock on Lightning Returns. I just didn't like that it was only one character

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Every culture has it's own unique label or designation for the personification of the land they share with inhabitants of the planet's surface, even if the concept of a "planet" is not known to them.

"Terra" in Latin comes from the name of the Roman goddess Terra Mater. Mother Earth.

Greeks called this goddess Gaia.

The Nordic equivalent was Jord.

There are plentiful examples across all cultures. So while there may not be a definitive name for the concept of a "planet", that doesn't mean there are no terms for the personification or deity that represents the physical ground that all living things exist on.

The Cetra were able to literally speak to the planet. It would be highly probable, based on human nature, that they would eventually wish to anthropomorphisize the planet they speak to and protect. They aren't just seeing it as an inanimate object. The Planet is alive. It speaks. It's sentient. It would be perfectly natural and highly likely for it to have a name.

However given that the Cetra are fine now and most people don't see the planet as alive or capable of consciousness, of course they wouldn't give it a name.

Gaia was a Titan in Greek mythology. It's kind of like the confusion with Hercules. He was a Roman figure. Heracles was Greek. I get what you mean though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom