Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
This is somewhat ahead, but... I hope there’s more to do when Tifa is the party leader. In my current playthrough I’m pre-Mideel and seeing what I can do before Cid takes over.

-You can’t access the gold saucer... it’s cool for the story that Dio closed it, but dang it I want my Chocobo nights Racing now!
-It’s really unwise to breed without racing, although I did manage to get a green, which got me Mime and the Apocalypse (and perhaps Chaos, will check next time)
-You can’t get Tifa’s final limit break (strange)
-I’ll see if I can get the Key to Midgar (hope so!)

Anyway, all of the stuff you can do before Cloud returns is really Guide Dang hidden, so I don’t think it would feel like padding to expand the stories around these side quests, and maybe tie opening up the Gold Saucer to a quest for Dio that you could do as Tifa, Cid, or Cloud.

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
I feel like when the crew gets briefly imprisoned in the Shinra Building, they lose all the stuff they acquired up until that point, and whatever they acquire during the Trail of Blood becomes the standard set up in the beginning of the next game.
I think not being able to make use of everything you've obtained and worked for so far for the final stretch and the last boss gauntlet would feel very underwhelming and disappointing. Why do we collect everything, finish all side-quests and fully develop our characters if not to smite the final threat in the story (super bosses, fair enough, but those are optional)? I'd hate that, personally. I think it would be wiser to slightly change the ending to explain why our group loses all their stuff after the escape from Midgar and have to start anew in Kalm (we'll be starting fresh during the flashback anyway).

While starting the 2nd game with stuff acquired from after being caught in the Shinra building might sound cool on paper, but it requires a save data transfer for that to work and if they implement that, why can't we then transfer our hard earned inventory from the entirety of the game? That would feel cheap and a total waste of potential of a save data transfer system.

In my view, there are only 2 feasible options:
  • Transfer everything but account for balancing, so that everything transferred only gives you an advantage during the first few hours.
  • Transfer nothing (with the exception of story choices and affection points). A nice addition could be a conversion of your previous inventory into bonus points with which you can buy a few bonus items or advantages to start off strong and get rewarded for your hard work in the previous installment. Alternatively, you could get pre-determined bonuses for certain achievements.

EDIT:
I hope there’s more to do when Tifa is the party leader.
I second this!

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
You misunderstand, I'm not saying transfer anything. I'm saying that give the characters some basic (or at whatever level of equipment/items the developers want the characters to have at the beginning of the next game) so that it avoid the problem of the characters having tons of equipment/materia/whatever at the end of one game and then starting from some specific loadout (due to lack of transfer) in the next game, using the imprisonment as the in universe justification for that.

Another possibility would be that the developers have the characters lose everything during the chase itself.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
-You can’t access the gold saucer... it’s cool for the story that Dio closed it, but dang it I want my Chocobo nights Racing now!
-It’s really unwise to breed without racing, although I did manage to get a green, which got me Mime and the Apocalypse (and perhaps Chaos, will check next time)
-You can’t get Tifa’s final limit break (strange)
-I’ll see if I can get the Key to Midgar (hope so!)
You can't get Tifa's final limit, but Elemental is available during this portion of the game instead. I think that's the only unique thing you can do as Tifa.

Other sidequests that become available as Tifa are chocobo catching/breeding, the free Chocobo Lure at the Chocobo Farm, getting the Full Cure and Magic Source from Cosmo Canyon, Chocobo Sage's House shop/Enemy Skill, a Fort Condor battle, Goblin Island (/Round Island) for Zeio Nuts and Goblin Punch, Cactus Island (/North Corel Area) for Tetra Elementals, and stuff in Mideel including the Cursed Ring and Contain. The Junon, Fort Condor, Costal del Sol, and Rocket Town shops also update their stock at this time. Due to catching/breeding, the Materia Caves and Ancient Forest also become available. Chocobo breeding obviously relies on total RNG.

You can reach Lucrecia's Cave but the events don't unfold unless Cloud is leader. If you want to extend Tifa's time as leader there are various quests you can put off until she's leader and get some different reactions (like recruiting Yuffie, Vincent, and the whole Wutai stuff (Edit: As the Chocobo Sage Enemy Skill is the last one to become available, this is the best time to start Enemy Skill hunting, and therefore leaving the Pagoda to Tifa so you can get Trine actually makes sense)).

You cannot get the Sector 5 key or enter the Gold Saucer. There's some evidence they were planning on making both of these things possible, like that Tifa and Cid are set up to be party leaders in various of the revisited Midgar/Gold Saucer locations, and that Tifa and Cid are still programmed into the Gold Saucer minigames.

Last edited:

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
You misunderstand, I'm not saying transfer anything. I'm saying that give the characters some basic (or at whatever level of equipment/items the developers want the characters to have at the beginning of the next game) so that it avoid the problem of the characters having tons of equipment/materia/whatever at the end of one game and then starting from some specific loadout (due to lack of transfer) in the next game, using the imprisonment as the in universe justification for that.
A basic/default inventory and equipment need to be provided at the start of the second game anyway, no matter how they go about it. It did sound, however, that you suggested the little progress after losing everything due to imprisonment being transferable to the next game, which is what I was criticizing. Apologies if I misinterpreted that.

Even if nothing transfers over (more probable in my opinion), justifying the loss becomes necessary for continuity's sake (hence your suggestion). So, while I agree with you, I wouldn't place the "point of loss" anywhere before the final boss for the reasons mentioned in my previous reply.

Another possibility would be that the developers have the characters lose everything during the chase itself.
That's the ideal solution given the circumstances.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Just some random thoughts about something I'd personally like to see addressed in the remake...
In the OG, when Cloud's party is traveling the world chasing after Sephiroth (or rather, his likeness), every eye-witness refers to him as "the man in a black cape". IMO, that doesn't seem to make sense. Before his disappearance, Sephiroth was famous all over the world, he had millions of followers on Shinragram, so much that he was an inspiring figure for spiky-haired preteens from the rear-end of Nowhere. So why isn't anyone referring to Sephiroth's appearances as "Sephiroth" or "Sephiroth's ghost/splitting image/lookalike/hidden-twin-brother" (the term "clone" seems to have been taken :mon:) with his name actually spelled out?
Or, has he been associated to a curse after going MIA that made people refer to him as "the black cape man who shall not be named"?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
This doesn't really answer your question (e.g. why the people in Kalm who saw Seph don't call him that or at least say they saw a person resembling him), but in at least this one case, Dio specified that he met both one of the black-cloaked experimental subjects from Nibelheim and then Sephiroth himself later.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
^ I hadn't caught the instance where Dio spcifically refers to Sephiroth by name, so thanks for pointing that one out. Though he too referred to him as "the man in a black cape" at first.

Well, it isn't physically Sephiroth, it's physically Jenova, motivated by Sephiroth's will. It physically appears to Cloud and Co as Sephiroth, but it also sometimes physically appears as a monster, as an avatar of Jenova, or as a piece of Jenova. So I guess it can look like whatever Sephiroth chooses. And I guess Sephiroth decided he only wanted to look like himself when he was face to face with Cloud. The rest of the time he's an anonymous guy in a black cape.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
^ I hadn't caught the instance where Dio spcifically refers to Sephiroth by name, so thanks for pointing that one out. Though he too referred to him as "the man in a black cape" at first.

Like I said, initially Dio met one of the experimental subjects from Nibelheim. He then met Seph himself while Cloud and co. were in the prison.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah I guess I figured he was traveling in the form of one of the cloaked clones a lot of the time, and appeared as Sephiroth when it behooved him to. But yeah, I dunno.

Reactions: Ite

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Well, their president in 2012 did also say that if they caved and started work on a remake of FFVII, it would mean the end of the company. =P

I'm honestly not convinced that they are prepared to rise to the challenge they've made for themselves, but I'm just going to plan to enjoy what they do come out with.
One thing I am curious about is, will you be able to play the second episode if you haven't completed the Midgar episode?!
to my understanding of what has been explained, yes. Even though FF7 is one game, it has been said, each episode will play out like it's own game. Like ffshinra said, it could be a little confusing though. I look at this like ff13,13-2 and lightning returns

Grease

Rookie Adventurer
i'm really hoping for more scenes of aerith childhood. and i'm hoping they atleast put out a dlc to revive aerith! she has the best limit breaks.

and im hoping for more story on nanaki, :mon:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
i'm really hoping for more scenes of aerith childhood. and i'm hoping they atleast put out a dlc to revive aerith! she has the best limit breaks.

and im hoping for more story on nanaki, :mon:

Having any possibility of reviving Aerith would be extremely detrimental to the story, imho. Her loss is one of its most pivotal and important moments and sets up her ability to call the lifestream to stop Meteor in the end. She can't do that if she's still alive, sadly.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Having any possibility of reviving Aerith would be extremely detrimental to the story, imho. Her loss is one of its most pivotal and important moments and sets up her ability to call the lifestream to stop Meteor in the end. She can't do that if she's still alive, sadly.

^This.

She is, in effect, still alive and active in the story, and is in fact the last character you see before the end credits. She’s just not in your party.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I do like the idea of her having more scenes of her childhood just like more scenes from when Sephiroth was a kid.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Don't we already know everything about Aerith's childhood that we need to know? I understand the desire to just have more stuff made up about her and given to us on a plate, but it wouldn't add anything essential to her character.

Maybe it would be good to emphasize Gast's relationship with Sephiroth. I think it's been overlooked. I just make him integral again.

Foz

Rookie Adventurer

Amen. If they're just going to implement some sort of revival, why kill her off in the first place? It does a massive disservice to the main plot to do so. I can't find it in my heart to support something like that so that some people can get their favourite waifu back. If they choose to do character DLC like they did with XV, I'm game so long as Aerith's (assuming they'd do one for her) take place sometime way before her passing so that way it doesn't tarnish the story and fans of her can get their fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom