Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but Aristotle was talking about the theatre. We're talking about video games. Video games have conventions that classical Athenian theatre does not have (and I suspect Ite knows a lot about both). You can turn these conventions into headcanon or you can handwave them on the grounds that they are merely conventions, but they have a long history rooted in a time when video games were not visually realistic and battle movements in particular had to be highly exaggerated, so you can't really expect them to integrate seamlessly with the physics and biology of an imaginary world, especially one portrayed hyper-realistically. Jairus Kain, you are 110% within your rights to headcanon the people of FFVII as not-actually-human, but I'm sure you won't be surprised if others decline to embrace that headcanon.

Last edited:

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Yes, but Aristotle was talking about the theatre. We're talking about video games. Video games have conventions that classical Athenian theatre does not have (and I suspect Ite knows a lot about both). You can turn these conventions into headcanon or you can handwave them on the grounds that they are merely conventions, but they have a long history rooted in a time when video games were not visually realistic and battle movements in particular had to be highly exaggerated, so you can't really expect them to integrate seamlessly with the physics and biology of an imaginary world, especially one portrayed hyper-realistically. Jairus, you are 110% within your rights to headcanon the people of FFVII as not-actually-human, but I'm sure you won't be surprised if others decline to embrace that headcanon.
I wasn't claiming a like-for-like comparison, or 100% applicability of course. Just to make that clear. But I was utilising Aristotle to show agreement with your previous post, in any event. Because it seemed apposite to much of what you said.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
No problem, LicoriceAllsorts! It happens, we all make goofs sometimes. :mon:

And Ite, the way the thread's going, we'll probably end up using Shakespeare next, lol.

"To be? Or not to be?"

Actually, considering the nature of Cloud's story and his identity crisis, that famous question might actually have some relevance for him.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Hehe. Well, that question concerns suicide, so it may be better for someone like Celes from FF6. “Whether ‘tis nobler (in the mind) to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them.”

Maybe Vincent too, he’s definitely a Hamlet kinda guy. “How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable seem to me all the uses of this world! ... Frailty thy name is woman!”

Cloud

To be or not to be, that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to do a barrel roll around my troubles,

And by opposing, end them? Accept the pain

Inflicted by the Planet for my sins,

Embrace the death decreed my punishment

And thus, by calm submission, be at peace?

Or shall I take this sword in hand, and fight,

As once, old friend, I swore to thee I would,

For Tifa, and for Denzel, and Marlene?

Yet how can I, who cannot help myself,

Bring anything but grief to those I love?

I weary of this life. I long for rest.

Oh, when will this nightmare ever end?

enter Aerith's ghost

Aerith's ghost

Dilly-dally shilly-shally.

Cloud

T'is thee! Oh, saint! Speak again, bright angel!...

From Don't Dilly Dally On The Way by William Shakespeare

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Hehe. Well, that question concerns suicide, so it may be better for someone like Celes from FF6. “Whether ‘tis nobler (in the mind) to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them.”

Maybe Vincent too, he’s definitely a Hamlet kinda guy. “How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable seem to me all the uses of this world! ... Frailty thy name is woman!”

Oh, ok. It's been a long time since I've read it. I thought it was from when he was trying to decide whether to try to pretend he was crazy in order to find out what was going on with his mother and uncle or to just be himself. My bad, sorry about that.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Not entirely sure which thread is the best place to point this out, but here goes:

So there had been a small thing bothering me lately about the Shinra Building in recent rewatches of the E3 trailer. Specifically that the logo plates on the building looked old school (as compared to the logos you see inside the building, this one had the company's full name written).

Now why would this bother me? Because the name in question was Shin-Ra Electric Power Company. The "Shin-Ra" spelling was out of use even in the original game. I thought, well that's a strange bit of the old game to keep unchanged.

d8of3o1-d1b60aa9-b3ff-4695-bb16-2655f4644d50.png

But they did, indeed, seem to change it, and I only realized upon looking at the Sephy/Shinra poster:
rcara17.jpg

No big deal, I just wanted to point out a nice touch by SE.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
That would be a laugh!

“Oh man have you been to Seventh Heaven?”
“Not yet, it’s that theme bar based on that fantasy movie, right? Where they live in a world where there’s no materia?”
“You haven’t seen Final Mundanity yet?? Why not? You still making your way through Stamp season 2?”
“Feck off, you!”
“It’s so gritty, they have like a million gods but no actual magic.”

Random Nobody

local roach
I finished watching Vyzzuvazzadth's latest video, and I'm hoping that 7th Heaven still maintains its Texas theme. I liked that Tifa was a fan of Texas. lol
well. she and cloud are from the countryside and likely grew up knowing bill hilly and the boys dem personally. they are probably out there speaking with a twang and shucking corn and other yeehaw activities in their free time.

Don Corneo's Dungeon

Pro Adventurer
What I'm looking forward to beyond anything is how they really capture the storyline and the emotion in the games. It was easier in the OG as you couldn't see facial expressions, no voice acting etc. I really hope they get every last drop of the storyline and more into it. I want to be obsessed like the first time (and every time) I played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom