• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I recall the darts minigame being in the early parts of XV. It wasn't anything amazing though, so I hope SE doesn't make it more complicated just because they want to. I already suck at darts in real life, I don't want the same real life aggravation in video games too.

It probably won't happen in part 1, but I want more flashbacks of Barret and his life back in Corel. I want to see him happy with his wife, his friendship with Dyne, (and I wanna know if their wives were friends with each other), and baby Marlene being the cutest little thing ever.

....this also may be a bit masochistic, considering what happened to Barret and Dyne, but it's a bit of shame that in OG had only barely delved into Barret's past.

If the song Mark of a Traitor appearing in one of the Kitase interview videos is anything to go by, I think we might get a glimpse of Corel Village.

albert graham

Lv. 1 Adventurer

Looks like Biggs, Jessie and the likes make it as playable character albeit for just a side gig.
Perhaps Turks will be next and maybe even Zack and Sephiroth during the Nibelhelm scene ? :excited:
Like the way SE is expanding the depth of FF7R to a whole new level where side cast are made playable to complement the main story.

Parrrno

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Like the way SE is expanding the depth of FF7R to a whole new level where side cast are made playable to complement the main story.

This would make so much sense in terms of gameplay and added content and it would make the game 10x more interesting since we don't just have to sit back and watch cutscenes and flashbacks if they decide to give some minor characters more screen time. We could also see some places, scenes and people we have never seen before. Imagine playing with Reeve himself and controlling him inside the shinra building, interacting with other shinra workers like Scarlet and Hojo. Imagine playing young Tifa or Barret.

But then again...
-Episode Tifa $5
-Episode Barret $5
-Episode Yuffie $5
-Episode Red XIII Cancelled
ezgif-2-202df46b48b2.gif

Saven

Pro Adventurer
The development of 7R has not been quite as monumentally screwed as that of 15 to warrant such a fear.....

This. The only two things that really stand out is the way too early announcement of the game (it should've been announced this year IMO), and the termination of CyberConnect2 which pushed things back somewhat. Other than that, it seems that development has gone smoothly, which is rare for a AAA Square-Enix game nowadays.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Re: FF7R "too early" announcement - while not very knowledgeable about finances, I wonder if the decision to announce that FF7R was in the works was partly motivated by getting a boost in the company stock value, while the release of FF XV was still 1.5 year away. I don't know if that could have helped with getting more financial resources to push through the development cycle.

This isn't so much a hope as an "I wonder...?" Now that they are capable of making such realistic-looking characters, will they go out of their way to make Yuffie (and Tseng?) look "Asian"? Right now everybody looks human (well I'm making an exception for Tseng but I'm hoping they're fixing him) but aside from Barret they don't have a definitive earth-type ethnicity. (I don't think you can go by the hair colour, that's not enough). Personally I'm happy if they keep those earth-ethnicities out of it.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
How did they do it in the Comp? Seems like they’re going for the same aesthetic (they weren’t at first but they sadly backpedaled; Roche’s bike-flipping intro put that question firmly to bed).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
In Advent Children at least, some of the characters had features from their voice actors’ faces melded into their designs (the Kingsglaive movie did that with virtually all of its characters too), this was most notable with Tifa (and arguably Cloud and Marlene). Also IIRC, haven’t the developers said Tifa and Aerith’s designs are meant to contrast not just in aesthetic but also in that Aerith is supposed to looks more Western and Tifa is supposed to look more East Asian?
I have no doubt Yuffie and any characters from Wutai will be designed to be explicitly East Asian looking (and not ambiguously Eurasian/mukokuseki style).
I do wonder if the Cosmo Canyon inhabitants will be more explicitly coded as Indigenous American analogues though?

In the Compilation Yuffie and Tseng don't look distinctively different from anyone else. The way their skin and hair colour is coded you could 'read' them as 'Asian' (not that they have an Asia in their world) but IMHO they haven't been made to look like a different 'race'.

Edited to add: from my pov if you take away their hair and clothes Tifa and Aerith look very similar to each other. I can't see anything significantly more Asian about Tifa or more western about Aerith.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Well personally, I think Yuffie looked pretty explicitly East Asian in Advent Children at least. I have no strong opinion on Tseng, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s meant to be read as East Asian.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Also IIRC, haven’t the developers said Tifa and Aerith’s designs are meant to contrast not just in aesthetic but also in that Aerith is supposed to looks more Western and Tifa is supposed to look more East Asian?

That’s what they said, but then they nickel-and-dimed both their facial features back into the bland sugar-doll loli crap they’ve been using since AC.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
That’s what they said, but then they nickel-and-dimed both their facial features back into the bland sugar-doll loli crap they’ve been using since AC.
“sugar-doll loli”? I really don’t see how Aerith or Tifa’s facial designs look anything like dolls/lolis. Like a few months ago, there segments of the FFVII fandom (particularly in the Japanese fandom IIRC) that were complaining Aerith’s face looked too masculine/not soft enough (which is ridiculous).

And I don’t see how Tifa’s face looking like she did in AC is backtracking on that statement, since in AC Tifa’s facial features are literally modeled after her Japanese voice actors face.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Ugh, first of all, my statement was super cynical and mean. I've been binging that FF Shitposting group on fb, so am at the height of sass. Apologies. But iirc the statement in reference was said at E3, and there were ppl up in arms about their faces even back then. Can't please 'em all I guess. Won't be the last time I say that in regards to this project :P

edit: even further disproving my point, here's a comparison shot I found

1577006309955.png
Aside from the eye fix, they actually look quite similar! One just looks two years younger. And that's the earliest image we have of Tifa's remake design.

Edit 2: I don't see much of a resemblance between the VA and the character.

ayumi-ito-5.67.jpg

Last edited:

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
In the OG, Jessie's train disguise was a guard's outfit, but I think it would be nice if the remake changed it up a bit and gave her something more alluring and feminine instead - it could also add a double meaning to her question to Cloud about what he thinks of her disguise in that the question would no longer refer just to the disguise itself but also (as an implied second meaning) to how he thinks Jessie herself looks. And it would give her a chance to be all prettied up like Aerith and Tifa will be later without interfering with their moments in Wall Market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom