• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Hey, I'm thinking of a wild scenario. In early dev, the hero (Cloud/Zack) & the heroine (Aerith/Tifa) is basically one character in concept, with ancient and seeking to promise land is always the core of the plot. Now, in final dev, by bringing Zack alive, what would we probably get? Two timelines, dual heroes, dual heroines. And what would happen in each timeline?

So, what if.....
#1 Zerith alive, Cloti dies, Sephiroth is back to sane. (as alternative story)
#2 Cloti alive, Zerith dies, Sephiroth is destroyed. (as the original one-AC-DC)

At one point, the timeline must intersect, probably in the event when Aerith would die in both timelines 'cause that's what player wanna change. And player decision would determine which ending to get above. The future is a blank page. I still can't explain how the alternative scenario would work... but it's fair we'll get different loss & tragedy. Both can be perceived as bad & good ending differently. Normally, people would go with original story and the game would be likely default to that, even if both Zack & Aerith survive.... we'd be still directed to get ending #2.

It's funny you write that, because I thought about something similar too. Aerith in the OG getting visions of that alternate timeline with Zack where she survives, but both Cloud and Tifa die - and there could be a singularity at the end where both timeline join to fight Sephiroth and then either separate, either have Zack and Aerith dying (again) I suppose? But I think they could part like they do in AC/C, in another timeline (IMHO the devs would enjoy that to parallel the movie lol).

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I know they are wondering whether to release further parts as DLC packs or something similar, or as “full game” sequels spaced longer apart.

I think the DLC route will be much better for the story, as it will most likely prevent the need to “complete the arc” of each section by adding in a final boss gauntlet like Harbinger.

But... eh, it’s too late. I honestly don’t even care that much, the damage has been done.

MasterMoogle

Pro Adventurer
It's funny you write that, because I thought about something similar too. Aerith in the OG getting visions of that alternate timeline with Zack where she survives, but both Cloud and Tifa die - and there could be a singularity at the end where both timeline join to fight Sephiroth and then either separate, either have Zack and Aerith dying (again) I suppose? But I think they could part like they do in AC/C, in another timeline (IMHO the devs would enjoy that to parallel the movie lol).

I would much rather a single timeline, but I'll take anything if it results in more Zack.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
While definitely very interesting... it's just so terrifying when a game decides to go different timelines route...there's just so much more opportunities to things go wrong than right :(

But oh well.. there's no going back now I guess? :/

Reactions: Ite

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
All depends, really. Zelda went different timelines, and people only got confirmed of that years after. Not much of a change for them. The real question is what SE is going to do with it.

It depends ofc. I'm acknowledging that it can work, but there's just so much room for things to go wrong that it's just extremely worrisome for me. Tbh, I'm more scared decisions like this may end up taking off the 'weight' of some big moments more than anything else.

Anyway, I'm aware that it's too early to worry about something like this (or too late if they already decided anything lol)

MasterMoogle

Pro Adventurer
It depends ofc. I'm acknowledging that it can work, but there's just so much room for things to go wrong that it's just extremely worrisome for me. Tbh, I'm more scared decisions like this may end up taking off the 'weight' of some big moments more than anything else.

Anyway, I'm aware that it's too early to worry about something like this (or too late if they already decided anything lol)

What would you do to preserve the weight of the story?

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I think "weight of the story" is kind of safe, considering the level of effort put into characterization on Part 1, since that's the backbone of a good weight.

Weight of the story starts being an issue, from my experience, primarily from lack of character and situational focus. Sort of in comics, not all of them of course, where you have dozens of timelines. It starts getting tricky to care about one.

Zelda, again, is another example where pretty much, a timeline doesnt mean much in regards to that. Their latest game literally isnt a part of any. It pretty much only gives an contextual awareness of what happened before, and thus similar elements (like places, monsters, etc). It's good for theories, and discussions tho.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
What would you do to preserve the weight of the story?

To me, prob not go full-on on
different timelines? It would be nice if used in some tidbits but when it comes to the main story, to the main points I'd rather not..?! I mean, when I think about it, and while considering how there's a lot of "living with the consequences of your choices" in FFVII, I can see how they could preserve this idea even if they decide to give the player autonomy to choose their own outcome: whichever route you choose couldn't gain something without losing something... an equivalent exchange I guess.

However, when I think about how like Aerith's death is so iconic up to this day, aside from how touching and abruptly it was, was because you couldn't bring her back, no matter what you did, I can't help but worry that the feelings just won't be there if we could just..fix things, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oty

MasterMoogle

Pro Adventurer
To me, prob not go full-on on
different timelines? It would be nice if used in some tidbits but when it comes to the main story, to the main points I'd rather not..?! I mean, when I think about it, and while considering how there's a lot of "living with the consequences of your choices" in FFVII, I can see how they could preserve this idea even if they decide to give the player autonomy to choose their own outcome: whichever route you choose couldn't gain something without losing something... an equivalent exchange I guess.

However, when I think about how like Aerith's death is so iconic up to this day, aside from how touching and abruptly it was, was because you couldn't bring her back, no matter what you did, I can't help but worry that the feelings just won't be there if we could just..fix things, you know?

I'm split on this, because though I think Aerith's death had an impact on audiences and Cloud, she basically became a mary-sue in death. She was no longer interesting and her interactions with the world never amounted to anything more than holding Cloud's hand and spurring him on. They did the same to Zack in ACC, but at least he got some lines.

I would much rather see the characters interact than see them put on a pedestal and deified.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
^Cloud sees the kids playing football on the beach at Costa Del Sol, and eager to be seen as cool and with it, he goes for a Jecht shot style spin kick, only for him to realise too late the ball is actually a Bomb, which explodes and kills him.

Nahhhhh, they'd never do anything that outlandish right.... right?....Tidus?.... Really?!...:closedmonster:

Myst Knight

Lv. 25 Adventurer
For Part 2, I'd like a really elaborate Gold Saucer, with lots of sights and mini-games. In FFVII, the Gold Saucer alone almost felt like a game in of itself, and it was my favorite part of the original game.

I'd also like a fully-fleshed out Junon. I liked Junon, because it sort of felt like a mini-Midgar, being the other big Shinra city in FFVII. It also felt less restrained than Midgar, since you can explore the nice part of the city at your leisure, instead of being stuck in a slum area.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I kinda expect them to release a digested GS first, and then either adding the other mini-games via DLC or simply fleshing out the rest in the sequel.

This approach would make the most sense if they want faster release dates, and also it has the passing of time as an excuse for the addition of more attractions.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Plus, it would correlate with the original game where (if I recall correctly) not everything was in working order when you first go to the Gold Saucer. I don't think you could do the snowboarding or submarine arcade machines until after doing the storyline equivalents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom