Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Aside from the obvous reason that a chapter full of filler was needed to stretch out the action?

Speaking of story content hopes, I very much hope that we eventually get a version of Chapter 17 that's as completed & polished as the rest of the game up to that point, because I really want the bits there to be as thoroughly detailed as everything else. I don't feel like that chapter's at all meant to be filler, but it does come in at a bit of an odd point pacing-wise, a little bit like the Train Graveyard can.

There're SO many interesting details there that I want to see more of, especially vis-a-vis all of the crazy Jenova-based experimentation.

X :neo:

Graven Lane

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Along those lines, I think it would be interesting to see if they incorporate more aspects of Before Crisis in the future installments. Fuhitos experimentation on the AVALANCHE foot soldiers was very intriguing and a cool story arc to counter the SOLDIER project. With Chadley collecting all of his battle intel and developing materia with the hope of destroying Shinra from the inside, this is kind of foreboding and can very well have him moving into more of an antagaonistic role similar to Fuhito. That's why I don't trust him, lol. I mean, he is collecting all of the party's battle intel; he knows how they fight and what they are capable of. Who's to say that this little Hojo minion can't develop a powerful materia that he would be able to use on himself to make him extremely powerful or develop a powerful materia to do catastrophic things like the Black Materia. He could very well be aware of Fuhito's experimentation and what he wanted to accomplish. This could mould him into an interesting antagonist in the future. Who knows, maybe he is working for AVALANCHE.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Chadley puking out an orb of Materia like David regurgitating an Alien embryo at the end of Covenant?

I actually would dig it. Horrifying yet farcical when it's a dorky kid in long socks doing it :monster:

...I never knew how much I fucking wanted this.

Chadley is the David of FFVII. I am 100% okay with this.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Sorry, Ody, we posted at the same moment and I was too lazy to go back and edit.

[@TTM, I feel like our differences are issues of interpretation mostly, not so much a long list of factually counter factual stuff. I can PM you to elaborate if you want.

I feel like there is a large qualitative difference between the gang being supported the whole way through the building and the few lucky breaks they get originally. Some of the original ones are dicey, but they could have fixed that instead of giving Domino absolute control of Shinra HQ to the point he can turn off all alarms during 'heavy' security and ensure that people you meet don't tell anyone about you, and that no one enters or leaves through the lobby or parking garage. I think it's fair to say that entails more help than the OG version.

You listed all of the optional stuff, including guard encounters you can avoid, but if we're doing that I get to add 'guy on phone' and lady at swordpoint who mysteriously doesn't tell anyone (and I also forgot to mention Kunsel's friend, by the way), to the list of contrivances. It's still heavily weighted towards the Remake. I was working from 'maximum stealth' route in both versions.

We can argue over who contacted whom, but ultimately we don't know who did what. (Wedge knew to get in touch with Domino somehow, and mysteriously appeared in his office, so something we don't know about happened offscreen )

This stood out to me so much because a good deal of other stuff in the game also involved things AVALANCHE originally achieved alone, like the bombings, now being part of Shinra's plans. If Rufus was running AVALANCHE ops in Shinra HQ, it seems very likely that he directed AVALANCHE towards his father's office in the hope they would kill him or allow Rufus an alibi for killing him (By the time I arrived, AVALANCHE had killed my Dad, how sad).If that's true it puts them on yet another person's strings.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
[@TTM, I feel like our differences are issues of interpretation mostly ...

No, no, we secretly agree on everything, including "Star Wars." :monster: It's okay, you can tell me I've been right all along whenever you're ready. :awesome:

Clement said:
I feel like there is a large qualitative difference between the gang being supported the whole way through the building and the few lucky breaks they get originally.

I absolutely agree that there's a significant qualitative difference, but to a different result. I feel it makes the narrative tighter and plainly more sensible.

There's nothing wrong with some lucky breaks, of course, and I'd even say good stories need a few. In general, though, if our choice is between constant, incongruent lucky breaks and an abundance of calculated moves, I'd say the latter is more likely to serve a story better.

Clement said:
You listed all of the optional stuff, including guard encounters you can avoid, but if we're doing that I get to add 'guy on phone' and lady at swordpoint who mysteriously doesn't tell anyone ...

I was being thorough, listing the contents of both paths, as one of those two sequences of events happened -- yet both are still filled to the brim with a comparatively nonsensical degree of luck.

As for Dude On Phone, yes, feel free to include him. He's one of your missing lucky breaks. The lady who Cloud drew a sword on is less a lucky break, though, than another bit of Domino covering their tracks. He mentions her when they get to his office.

Clement said:
... (and I also forgot to mention Kunsel's friend, by the way), to the list of contrivances.

What's the problem with this guy? That he keeps the other trooper with him from causing any ruckus?

I think you're looking at this scene the wrong way. Its narrative purpose isn't "They get caught, but thankfully an old acquaintance of Cloud's is present to get them out of it." The purpose is to raise more questions about Cloud, and to get that sub-plot of his mental blocks back on track after it not getting brought up since early in Chapter 9.

And also to reference Kunsel from CC. :monster:

If not for these elements, Random Trooper Who Almost Took Them On wouldn't have even been there. Just call it another lucky break if you need to.

Clement said:
We can argue over who contacted whom, but ultimately we don't know who did what.

Does Domino have knowledge he would have if he had contacted HQ at that point? If not, then he has not yet contacted them.

Clement said:
(Wedge knew to get in touch with Domino somehow, and mysteriously appeared in his office, so something we don't know about happened offscreen )

Barret's cell didn't know about Domino, remember? The implication is that Wedge followed CTB to the building and got pulled aside by Domino.

Clement said:
If Rufus was running AVALANCHE ops in Shinra HQ, it seems very likely that he directed AVALANCHE towards his father's office in the hope they would kill him or allow Rufus an alibi for killing him (By the time I arrived, AVALANCHE had killed my Dad, how sad).If that's true it puts them on yet another person's strings.

There's a definite possibility there. Rufus calls Tseng to come get him like one scene before Cloud and team learn that HQ is attacking the building "to flush out" the Prez.

It only stands to reason that Domino went ahead and contacted HQ right after meeting with CTB. If Rufus is involved with them, he should have quickly been informed of the situation and seen its potential usefulness to him.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I was looking at the FF7 world map and thinking about it in the context of Remake-sized "Chapters" and I came up with something of a prediction for part 2 and beyond:

1598986450479.png
Each border area is a chapter sized chunk of story. The yellow areas are questionably mandatory, as in, probably will be mandatory. Here's my current thoughts about how the Remake's brand of linearity will continue onto the world map:

Chapter 19: Midgar Area. I covered this area as optional because as many have pointed out, kicking off Part 2 mid-flashback is the narratively stronger choice. Leaving this area on the cutting room floor also allows the illusion of a greater distance between Midgar and Kalm, starting off the "world exploration" with a bit of immersive bigness (think the distance between Rabanastre and the Estersands zone in FFXII).

Chapter 20: Kalm Flashback. I think they can fit the Kalm Flashback into a single chapter if they don't bloat it to set up the Part 2 time travel circus. It's likely they'll do both. No, Genesis won't be in it, but Zack will be. The central conceit of the story relies on the player already knowing all the spoilers already, after all.

Chapter 21: Grasslands. This region is Remake's first "open-world" explorable zone and will strive for the same feeling of scope as the Calm Lands in FFX, Pulse in FFXIII, or the open road in FFXV. It's probable that the swamp will be combined with this zone. It's improbable that we'll have access to the east coast of this zone - more likely we'll be invisibly gated from endless fields stretching east, the second illusion of bigness.

Chapter 22: Mythril Mines. I mentioned this in another post but this will basically be the exact same as Chapter 5 in Part 1, a pure dungeon crawl of a chapter, maybe some splitting the party, falling through holes to get to the next area, and lots of people falling off things and other people grabbing their wrists in a pantomime of stakes. Turks are the final boss.

Chapter 23: Fort Condor. Here's where I think we'll get the next development of Neu-AVALANCHE, as here is an anti-Shinra faction you can join and support. If the writers haven't forgotten about Wedge and Biggs, this would be their opportunity to make a grand entrance. I would totally love for this region to be entirely optional but more than likely it will be mandatory, and its possible that acquiring Yuffie will become integrated into this chapter as well.

Chapter 24: Junon. Based on the length and variety of Chapter 4, I reason that the approach to Junon all the way through the parade and getting on the boat could be a single chapter. Could be two, depends if this section of the game is interrupted by Nomura shit, or if acquiring Yuffie is integrated into the Junon story arc (as it was in my novelization /shamelessplug). The region between Fort Condor zone and the Junon fields will be another wide and intraversible border image, and you won't be able to backtrack (until Chapter 29)

Chapter 25: Cargo Ship. This will be fairly straightforward, won't it? This would be roughly Part 2's Chapter 7, with Jenova-BIRTH replacing Airbuster as the mid-game difficulty spike. Expect more Sephiroth. If Junon is split into two chapters, this might be the latter half of the second chapter, like the Whisper invasion was part of Chapter 4.

Chapter 26: Mount Corel. This will include both Costa del Sol and the Mt. Corel dungeon. Costa del Sol won't be a sidequest hub because the next chapter obviously will be.

Chapter 27: The Gold Saucer. This chapter will begin when you arrive in North Corel, and end when you are thrown into the Corel Prison. This is going to be the funhouse chapter, as Wall Market was for Part 1. It will be everyone's favorite chapter. You'll probably have to fight robots in battle square while trying to escape capture.

Chapter 28: Corel Prison. Since this is Barret's arc, I don't think they're going to go too off the rails for this section. Dyne fight and the chocobo race comprising the "boss" elements of this chapter.

Chapter 29: Buggy! The West Continent will open up in a big way, and this will be the first proper time you can revisit areas from prior chapters, including the East Continent. I am hoping that Gongaga remains optional, but it's possible we'll be funneled through it or maybe they'll even bloat it into its own chapter. Anyway, the buggy chapter will conclude with the buggy breaking down and a short chasm dungeon leading to...

Chapter 30: Cosmo Canyon. Both the town and the Cave of the Gi will be included in this chapter, and if they don't nail this I'm gonna cry.

Chapter 31: Nibelheim. Will the main character of Dirge of Cerberus be optional? Hmm... No. The popular consensus is that this will be the end of Part 2... and indeed, I think they can (and should) expand this important location to make it more impactful... but we're only about a dozen chapters beyond Part 1.

Chapter 32: Mount Nibel. Similar to Chapter 15, this will be an epic-level dungeon chapter, with lots of action sequences. The Materia Keeper, like Valkyrie, will be recurring throughout the chapter.

Chapter 33: The Captain. We acquire our last party member here as well as the Tiny Bronco. Unless this serves as the end of Part 2, this part will be played rather straight, with Palmer serving as an oddly difficult boss fight (maybe the haywire Tiny Bronco will be an environmental hazard like the electric rails from the Crab boss in Part 1).

Chapter 34: Wutai. Another funhouse chapter. Probably not optional, with repairs on the Bronco keeping the party marooned on this island until getting their materia back. In my novelization, this sequence was the beginning of Book 4, but I don't think this would be a good way to start a Part 3 (despite the consideration that it hard-resets your materia inventory lol).

Chapter 35: The Keystone. Aka the Gold Saucer date chapter. This chapter is actually a proper open world chapter, as the Bronco essentially gives us access to every zone leading up to this point, which is a big reason I think we'd still be in Part 2 at this point. Another I think we're still in Part 2 is that it allows your choices to influence the date without having to rely on save states from prior games. This chapter could extend beyond the Gold Saucer, all the way to the entrance to the Temple.

Chapter 36: The Temple of the Ancients. Well we're now 18 chapters post-Part 1. It could be the finale of Part 2, but the elephant in the room is that the next five chapters place Aeris's death either too close to a split point, and call me precious (you'd be right) but I think it's important that she get axed in the middle of a game -- that's what so shocking about it. As for the Temple itself, I'm not holding my breath for this dungeon, it will be absolutely chock full of KH dialogue and Aeris death portents. I'm already rolling my eyes just thinking about it. The likelihood of it being more than one chapter depends on where in the narrative it falls -- if it's the finale, it might even be three.

Chapter 37: The Sleeping Forest. This is another opportunity to do the sidequests from Chapter 35, and an acrophies or something will be the big forest boss before the Coral Valley and the doom of our heroine. This will be a real Chapter 6, y'know? It could also be combined with the next section, with the dungeons not being overly expanded.

Chapter 38: Coral Valley. I think there are precious few left who think the end of Disc 1 is a good ending place for Part 2, and I don't need to tell you what's included here.

Chapter 39: The Great Glacier. At first I thought that Icicle Inn might be it's own chapter, but it's more likely to be combined with the Great Glacier dungeon, but with a slower paced beginning to get players to Icicle and Elena. I don't think Gast's videos are going to be optional anymore. Putting this chapter and the chapter preceding it in different games is inadvisable, as feeling Aeris's absence here is an essential aspect of her death's emotional impact.

Chapter 40: Gaia's Cliff. I can only see this as a straightforward dungeon and a dragon.

Chapter 41: Whirlwind Maze. Should be pretty straightforward but, like Temple, I am not gonna hold my breath. Structurally this is the best place to end the second of three acts, and since it ends up scattering the party and imprisoning our perspective character, this would be an ideal place to reset the inventory leading into the final game.

Chapter 42: Sapphire Weapon. If it's played straight, this would be a great last chapter of a part, or the great first chapter of a part, or just a great sequence mid-game. I really hope it is as faithful as possible, as its one of the sequences that created my love of Final Fantasy and one of the things that had me clamoring for a remake.

Chapter 43: The Huge Materia. You have the Highwind and the open world. Finding Cloud in Mideel is but a single cutscene, and the two huge materia missions could and should be combined into a single chapter, especially since you have the choice of which order to do them in. Perhaps Ultima Weapon is the final boss of this chapter, leading us neatly into...

Chapter 44: Inside Cloud's Mind. This is one of those sequences that they can't possibly fuck up and can't possibly get right. They're gonna bugger around in it with Zack and honour and make it more about Zack than Cloud, but the game has so far been so unambiguously CloTi that they can't not nail my most precious moments

Chapter 45/46: Underwater Reactor/Sending a Dream Into the Universe. I think these chapters could be run fairly straightforward, since each has its specific goal and resolution.

Chapter 47: The White Materia. This chapter will start after the group returns to the Highwind from space, and is kind of an open-world treasure hunt for the Key of the Ancients. I think that Lucrecia's cave is going to be a necessary step to discovering the Key of the Ancients, maybe the Gelnika as well. Diamond Weapon is the boss of this chapter.

Chapter 48: Return to Midgar. A straightforward action sequence that I can't see straying too far off the path. Maybe a nod to DoC here or Hojo being involved with whatever additions to the story have clung to the hull of this ship through the Nomuric Ocean and the Kita Sea. It's possible you could squeeze out another chapter (maybe more) out of this sequene, with the final confrontation with the Turks, rescuing Reeve from Shinra HQ, and Proud Clod being major story beats in their own right (this might also help inflate the final game's low chapter count).

Chapter 49: The Northern Crater. (most of) The final dungeon!

Chapter 50: The Planet's Core. Unable to take screenshots at this time.

When looked at in these terms, it really isn't that big of an issue to have Part 2 end at the Whirlwind Maze, since the sheer amount of content in each chapter for Part 3 would counterbalance the lower number of chapter dileneations. So Part 1 would be eighteen chapters, Part 2 would be around twenty-two chapters, and part 3 would be eight very long chapters and maybe a few very short chapters sprinkled in to inflate that number a bit.

Something I didn't talk about was gating the side-content into the individual chapters, to make Chapter Select a little easier. Essentially, Part 1 was 18 different content boxes with your character inventory and progressions existing outside of those boxes in your save-file. When it comes to things like your chocobo stables, it's possible that those things would join your materia and EXP in the save-file, with the actual race events only being available to you within the content of Chapters 47 and 49.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Awesome post @Mr. Ite. I love speculating how many parts.

I like a lot of your ideas on how towns could be handled, but it's hard for me to imagine part 2 being over 20 chapters. Turns out I have a lot of thoughts on this hahah. Let's use part 1 as a baseline. It has 18 chapters. However, Chapter 14 is basically a remix of earlier chapters. Chapter 7 reskins a bunch of assets from Chapter 1. So it's not like part 1 even had 18 chapters of wholly original content. Despite this, it was still big and complex enough to warrant a delay.

Furthermore, part 2 will need to be optimized for all new next-gen hardware and graphical fidelity expectations are only going up (sadly). I understand SE will be able to reuse a ton of content from part 1, but knowing SE, I'm skeptical. I feel as though they'll just use that time save to enhance the visuals of other stuff.

Likewise, the reference material for part 1 is really cohesive. It's Midgar. Creative decisions made on slum buildings in Chapter 3 will carry over to Chapter 8. Part 2, however, is going to be tackling a new aesthetic for each town. That's a lot of reference material that will need to be developed and in most cases won't be helpful across the whole game. It doesn't scale nicely.

Also, let's consider map size, again using part 1 as a baseline. The maps feel good in part 1, but they're honestly not that large. And more importantly, they're focused. Chapter 2 felt the need to solely focus on Sector 8 for example. I think expecting two towns from one chapter, like how you've grouped North Corel and the Gold Saucer, isn't compatible with the design philosophy they've given us in part 1.

Gonna take this opportunity to update my own chapter prediction for part 2 if anyone's interested. Spoilers for part 1!

With FF7R in our hands, we have our best look yet on how future parts will be structured and what SE is capable of delivering with ~3 years of full development time. Here are some guidelines I'm going to follow in my speculation based on what was offered in part 1:

1. Part 2 will feature around 18 chapters (basically areas/maps)
2. Part 2 will feature around 3 "town areas" with side quests (analogous to Sector 7 slums, Sector 5 slums, and Wall Market)
3. All areas from the OG will return (The sited reason FF7R was split into parts is so that it's not an "abridged" version)
4. All minigames from the OG will return (FF7R embraces the OG's eccentricities)
5. Most importantly, a new mystery will be introduced and resolved in some form (analogous to the mystery of the Whispers)

I've tried to consider all of this in my speculation: workload, mystery, and matching the narrative pacing of part 1. Here's my list of chapters for part 2:

1 - Journey to Kalm (tutorial and exposition)
2 - Nibelheim Incident part 1 (pre-Jenova discovery)
3 - Nibelheim Incident part 2 (post-Jenova discovery)
4 - Kalm (town with side quests #1)
5 - Chocobo Farm and Midgar Zolom (chocobo riding minigame #1)
6 - Mythril Mines
7 - Fort Condor (real-time strategy minigame)
8 - Forest event with Yuffie
9 - Lower Junon (town with side quests #2, CPR minigame lol)
10 - Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony (parade minigames)
11 - Cargo ship
12 - Costa del Sol
13 - Mt. Corel
14 - North Corel (town with side quests #3)
15 - Gold Saucer (new date event, coliseum, minigame bonanza)
16 - Corel Prison (chocobo riding minigame #2)
17 - Gongaga part 1
18 - Gongaga part 2

A two chapter Gongaga finale? Yep, because Zack is Back(TM). In the finale of part 2, Zack and the party's paths will finally cross at Gongaga due to a interdimensional portal or something, Sephiroth will appear for spooks, and Shinra will be around in full force as they excavate the old mako reactor. All the pieces necessary for a suitable finale (oh and Gongaga might get destroyed again).

Chapter 30: Cosmo Canyon. Both the town and the Cave of the Gi will be included in this chapter, and if they don't nail this I'm gonna cry.

Considering your impression of part 1, I'm getting this for you in advance so there's something to dry your eyes with haha:

ff7-tissue2.jpg

Last edited:

Saven

Pro Adventurer
I was thinking of this myself:

PART TWO
19. Nibelheim Flashback (tutorial where you have a very powerful CPU. The Mt. Nibel Mako Reactor only shows what we see in the original and saves the rest for later when we revisit)
20. Kalm/Midgar Area (side quests involve going back near Midgar)
21. Grasslands Area (Chocobo Ranch and Swamp)
22. Mythil Mines (first dungeon)
23. Junon Area (Fort Condor is visitable as a side area. Yuffie can be first recruited here)
24. Under Junon (ends when you go to sleep after Bottomswell fight)
25. Under Junon/Junon
26. Shinra Cargo Ship
27. Costa Del Sol
28. Corel Area
29. Mt. Corel/North Corel
30. Gold Saucer
31. Corel Prison (ends after Barret vs. Dyne)
32. Corel Prison/Gold Saucer Race
33. Gold Saucer Area
34. Gongaga Area (first half, forces you to go to Gongaga Jungle)
35. Gongaga Jungle/Gongaga Village/Gongaga Mako Reactor Ruins
36. Gongaga Area/Cosmo Area
37. Cosmo Canyon/Cave of the Gi
38. Cosmo Area/Nibel Area
39. Nibelheim/Shinra Manor (Vincent is recruitable as a guest party member, but is completely optional)
40. Mt. Nibel/Mt. Nibel Mako Reactor (The reactor is the final dungeon where we see the rest of it before the final rooms. Kinda like Xenogears' final dungeon)

PART THREEE
41. Rocket Launch Pad Area/Rocket Town (Not sure if just the area outside of Rocket Town would make as a good opening for a game. Nibelheim and Mt. Nibel are too good to pass up on for a cliffhanger in Part 2 so I included both for a long first chapter)
42. Swimming around with the Tiny Bronco, the game forces you to go to the Wutai continent this time and the chapter ends with Yuffie (the first time you see her if you haven't recruited her already (assuming this will carry over previous data like other CyberConnect2 games like .Hack did))
43. Rest of the Wutai continent
44. Wutai Don Corneo Side Quest (Yuffie joins your party now if you haven't recruited her yet)
45. Searching for clues on the Key to the Ancients, ends with accepting to fight in the Battle Square (Game forces you to go back and finish Shinra Manor if you didn't do it in the previous game to recruit Vincent if you haven't done so already as part of searching for clues on how to get the key. Vincent has a clue that leads to the Weapon Seller or some shit like that. Something to get the ball rolling.)
46. Battle Square/Date with whomever Square chooses
47. Traveling to the Woodlands Area, ends with reaching the Temple of the Ancients
48. Temple of the Ancients
49. Waking up at Gongaga Village, ends with reaching Bone Village
50. Bone Village/Sleeping Forest
51. Coral Valley
52. The Forgotten Capitol (RIP)
53. Coral Valley Cave
54. Icicle Area
55. Icicle Inn/Cool Boarders Segment
56. Great Glacier
57. Gaia's Cliffs
58. North Crater (Final Dungeon)

PART FOUR
59. Escape from Junon
60. Search for Cloud (includes searching for clues on where his last whereabouts might've been. Gets the player used to using the Highwind to explore the entire world which is finally built and explorable by this final part)
61. Huge Materia Quest #1 (Player is given the choice to do either the Mt. Corel Mako Reactor raid or Fort Condor battle)
62. Huge Materia Quest #2
63. Protect Mideel from Ultimate WEAPON
64. Cloud's Subconscious
65. Junon and it's underground tunnels (as long as Chapter 5 and 6 were)
66. Underwater Mako Reactor
67. Submarine Mini-Game, going back to the Junon airport to grab the last materia before it's too late
68. Rocket Town/Space
69. Going to Bugenhagen, searching for the key in the submarine
70. Going back to Bugenhagen and going back to the Forgotten Capitol to realize that Aerith casted Holy before being killed by Sephiroth
71. An entire chapter based around Diamond WEAPON marching it's way to Midgar from the Northern Continent and ends with the team parachuting into Midgar. An entire chapter dedicated to a boss fight
72. Sector 8 (new section where you hide and run away from Proud Clod as it marches it's way through the city trying to find you)
73. Corkscrew Tunnel
74. Sector 8/Sister Ray
75. Cloud and Tifa chapter spending the last seven days of their potential lives (unique chapter where it's timed for seven in-game days going wherever they want in the world, whether it'd be going to the Gold Saucer, or fighting Cactuars for 168 in-game hours before everyone comes back to head to the North Crater to finish Sephiroth once and for all)
76. Northern Cave (Final Dungeon and last chance to do anything before the point of no return)
77. Gaia's Core

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Sadly, the more I think about it, the more I think @cold_spirit probably has the theory most likely to pan out. One detail there worth revisiting, though:

Likewise, the reference material for part 1 is really cohesive. It's Midgar. Creative decisions made on slum buildings in Chapter 3 will carry over to Chapter 8. Part 2, however, is going to be tackling a new aesthetic for each town. That's a lot of reference material that will need to be developed and in most cases won't be helpful across the whole game. It doesn't scale nicely.

They tried to give each sector a unique aesthetic, even to the point of designing unique assets for each, you may recall. But I think that just reinforces the probability of your predictions ending up accurate, unfortunately. =\

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I really don't see them basically duplicating Part 1. That's the most obvious and telegraphed design strategy and they'll simply not do that for that reason alone.

Nomura isn't going to be content simply doing the same game structure twice, nor will Toriyama. Especially Kitase. Looking at the sequels under their belt and the design ethos they all carry, I think it's unlikely they're going to simply repeat what's been done and not push it further with PS5 as the console of the gen. Their goal is to make each entry stand alone games so they're going to toy with that.

S-E isn't about simply designing around efficiency either. So if it's to realize a vision, they'll go all out for it. Scalability be damned :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
My prediction for chapters from a few months back :monster:

Chapters:

1. Nibelheim Flashback
  2. Kalm / Chocobo Farm (Sidequests)
  3. Swamp
  4. Mythril Mines
  5. Journey to Junon (Fort Condor? Yuffie event?)
  6. Junon
  7. Cargo Ship
  8. Costa del Sol (Sidequests)
  9. Corel Mountains
  10. North Corel (Sidequests)
  11. Gold Saucer (YAY MINIGAMES)
  12. Corel Prison / Chocobo Race
  13. Gongaga
  14. Journey to Cosmo Canyon
  15. Cosmo Canyon (Sidequests)
  16. Gi Cave
  17. Journey to Nibelheim
  18. Nibelheim / Shinra Mansion
  19. Mt. Nibel / Mako Reactor (Final Dungeon, new event serving as the finale)

Chapters:

1. Opening (Escape from Mt. Nibel? Materia Keeper Boss?)
  2. Journey to Rocket Town
  3. Rocket Town (Sidequests)
  4. Journey to Wutai
  5. Wutai (Yuffie / Corneo Event)
  6. Wutai (Sidequests / New main story event?)
  7. Search for the Keystone
  8. Gold Saucer Part II: The Saucening
  9. Journey to the Temple / Jungle
  10. Temple of the Ancients
  11. Bone Village / Sleeping Forest
  12. Forgotten City
  13. Journey through the mountains
  14. Modeoheim
  15. Icicle Inn (Sidequests)
  16. Snowboarding! 8) + Journey to Gaea‘s Cliff
  17. Gaea‘s Cliff
  18. Northern Crater
  19. Center of Northern Crater (Final Boss)

Chapters:

1. Junon / Attack of Sapphire Weapon
  2. The Search for Cloud
  3. Mideel (Sidequests?)
  4. North Corel Train Heist
  5. Mideel Part 2 / Lifestream (moved up a bit because 4 chapters without Cloud is already like 8 hours without the main character lol)
  6. Banora (some new shit)
  7. Fort Condor Defense (Avalanche HQ event?)
  8. Junon Underwater Reactor / Submarine
  9. Rocket Town / Spaaaaaaaace
  10. Sunken Gelnika / Emerald Weapon Surprise Story Boss!
  11. Padding goes here
  12. Gold Saucer Part 3: New Zany Events Await! (sidequests)
  13. Search for that weird key (sidequests?) / Back to Forgotten City
  14. Diamond, Ruby and Ultima: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack!
  15. Assault on Midgar (Upper City)
  16. Assault on Midgar (Corkscrew Tunnel / Sector 8 / Sister Ray)
  17. Northern Crater (Upper Parts)
  18. Northern Crater (Lower Parts)
  19. Center of the Planet (Final Boss Rush)
20. Secret Chapter: LOVELESS - Genesis Returns

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Kingdom Hearts was actually the example I was thinking of, lol

Kingdom Hearts 2 vastly went beyond the limits and length of the previous game. With respect to game design ethos and scope, KH3 offered larger and more vertical worlds, a vastly expanded gummi ship quest line, pirate ship exploration of the seas and a retooled battle system and gimmick for magic/attractions/forms/etc. Regardless of it's misplaced focus or missing aspects that were left behind in 2, KH3 is still objectively a vastly different and expanded game. There were less worlds but the worlds were longer and larger (for better or worst). Each KH game does go beyond the last and aren't copies of the same design formula.

Sadly KH3 needed a DLC to get it's optional bosses and proper Critical mode, but everything else shows that games going beyond the limits of the last.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I still think Part 2 ends on the Cargo ship. But, to balance that out, I think Junon is gonna be a lot larger and a lot more involved than it was in the OG. Same with Fort Condor and the Mythril Mines. Perhaps even the Nibelheim Incident (but in a good way, not a Genesis way).

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Not being a Kingdom Hearts fan, but being the only one in my covid bubble with a PS4, I recently was host to a KH3 playthrough in my living room. It taught me a lot about this director, and I have a lot more admiration for him now! I’m not sure if I agree with all his choices for 7R but I can’t not respect him as an artistic genius.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Not being a Kingdom Hearts fan, but being the only one in my covid bubble with a PS4, I recently was host to a KH3 playthrough in my living room. It taught me a lot about this director, and I have a lot more admiration for him now! I’m not sure if I agree with all his choices for 7R but I can’t not respect him as an artistic genius.
I genuinely cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom