• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Oh the ending’s gonna be bittersweet for sure, I just don’t see the remake not leading to AC and DoC as somehow undermining them. Those stories have their place in canon, they’ve already been told, and like I’ve said probably a dozen times already, they will always be the canon follow-up to the OG.
That's not what I'm speaking to. I'm saying that it would come across to me as compromising a significant theme of the original in this narrative that ostensibly will be following and reinforcing the original's themes.

And there's literally no other reason to do it than to "brighten things up," so to speak. It certainly isn't required to provide a resolution to anything. The cliffhanger from Dirge's secret ending could be addressed here in the remake series, just as the question of what became of Sephiroth's consciousness after AC is seemingly being addressed here.

If your concern is then "What about Dirge's secret ending and Sephiroth's consciousness after AC in the remake timeline?" -- maybe the same thing happens again? Maybe the Whispers end up restored before all this is done, and the consciousness of the present-day Sephiroth from Universe-B will someday (in the far, far future; long after Universe-B's AC; on the edge of the planet dying) cross over from Universe-B to a Universe-B2? And then precisely these same events will play out again? And then it continues on and on across timeline after timeline into always? :monster:

I could see that happening both as a way to give Sephiroth a slight victory of sorts of his own, where he realizes he will never end even though he'll be eternally defeated ... but also to punish him in the worst possible way, as he realizes he will be eternally defeated by Cloud. Contained to a looping causality prison of his own making because he wouldn't let himself escape his own history of pettiness and self-sabatoging behavior.

And let's be honest, who here really thinks a cross-dimensional causality loop (not really a time loop -- just a looping of events across different, ever newer timelines) is too convoluted a trick for these guys to pull? :monster:

But for me ... thematic resonance put aside ... Sephiroth's just desserts aside ... even "Nomura's gonna Nomura and Kitase's gonna Kitase" set aside ... the biggest reason I believe what I believe always comes back to this:

I really don't see this thing ending in any way that doesn't lend itself to Square being able to reissue AC(C) for the 12th time on 16K Ultra HD Holodisc or some shit with marketing like "See the hit sequel to the most groundbreaking gaming adventure series of the past decade (because they've been coming out now for a decade) -- FFVII Remoded!"

And maybe throw onto that as a footnote how Nomura, Nojima, etc. are still legitimately proud of AC, wish to celebrate it, and have emphasized and re-emphasized how it is baked into the remake's bones.

At the end of all this, you're going to get an ad telling you to revisit the next stage of the Forever Crisis in FFVII: Advent Children Complete. Mark my words, people.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Well, comics don't necessarily always "decanonize" their other previous works. Sometimes they just exist :monster:

But you're right in regards to the whole interacting part. Then there's also the high number of them.
Now when they decide to have OG Cloud’s polygon ass show up, meet HD remake Cloud, say “you’re like me” and then team up with a bunch of other Clouds against Sephiroth, THEN we’ve gone full comic stupid lol

I'm saying that it would come across to me as compromising a significant theme of the original in this narrative that ostensibly will be following and reinforcing the original's themes.
Couldn’t the same be said of the decision to spare Zack though? Because my counter to that would be that it entirely depends on how that story is handled in the future, which is what I would also say in the case of preventing AC and DoC, in that the themes can just as likely be reinforced depending on how they’re handled even if the direction is different

And maybe throw onto that as a footnote how Nomura, Nojima, etc. are still legitimately proud of AC, wish to celebrate it, and have emphasized and re-emphasized how it is baked into the remake's bones.
Sure but I don’t think changing the future of the remake would stop them from promoting AC any more than changing the story in the remake would stop them from promoting the OG, quite the opposite really…do these guys really need an excuse to promote AC at this point lol

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Now that the Whispers have been taken off the board, they're free to follow whatever they wish.

Guys. I understand that few of you care about Dirge, and I don't expect you to. But you know I do, so can you stop being such dicks about it?

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
If it makes Dirge fans feel any better, a future where Dirge doesn’t happen might mean seeing even more elements of it worked into the remake’s version of the OG story to make up for it which I’m personally not opposed to as long as they don’t make Genesis the main villain or something lol

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
If it makes Dirge fans feel any better, a future where Dirge doesn’t happen might mean seeing even more elements of it worked into the remake’s version of the OG story to make up for it which I’m personally not opposed to as long as they don’t make Genesis the main villain or something lol

I really can't picture them doing that though. Haven't SE said the aren't disregarding the events post-OG?

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I really can't picture them doing that though. Haven't SE said the aren't disregarding the events post-OG?
They said the compilation will be the base for the remake’s canon and considering all of the experimenting with timelines going on here, I feel the possibilities for how exactly this plays out are a lot wider now than what they would’ve been with a 1:1 remake…I mean hell, Zack’s fate wasn’t even off the table for these madmen lol (to be clear though, I’m pretty sure Zack and Aerith will still both be dead by the end of this)

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
This is yet another thing we won't know for sure until we get there, so while you can discuss the merits of both ideas until the cows come home, it's not gonna get you any further than you've gotten.

This is what makes it hard for me to engage in some of these conversations in this first place. While I think remake is a sequel to BC/CC and a prequel to AC/DC, it's hard to talk about certain things if they don't think the same way

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Wow, no one's even listening to me.

Here's the thing... people in these forums tend to act as though I'm being completely unreasonable for caring about these things, even though they're perfectly happy to get in deep into the miniutia for whatever it is they care about at whatever length they like. Any time I try to talk seriously about Dirge, someone (or usually someones) responds with snideness and dismissiveness, as though the things they care about are so much more meaningful. No one has to care, and no one does, but there's no need to be such pricks.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
This is what makes it hard for me to engage in some of these conversations in this first place. While I think remake is a sequel to BC/CC and a prequel to AC/DC, it's hard to talk about certain things if they don't think the same way
I don’t think anybody really expected the remake to go in the direction it went in so I’d say it was reasonable to expect we’d get a simple prequel to AC and DoC, but after it’s release, we have…TIME CRISIS—!!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Wow, no one's even listening to me.

Probably because no one knows what you're talking about. After your previous post I went back three pages in the thread to try and see what you were referring to and didn't find anything. After this I looked harder and see you haven't posted in this thread since January. Is this even the thread you're trying to post in?

My sister showed me a picture of this dog. If there's an animal on earth that looks more like Dark Nation, I have yet to see it.
It's called a presa canario. Apparently it's very strong, calm and reserved, fiercely devoted to its master, will fight to the death to protect whatever it sees as its own, and is famous for moving like a cat.
presa.jpg
I put it in this thread because I couldn't figure out where else it belonged.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
They said the compilation will be the base for the remake’s canon and considering all of the experimenting with timelines going on here, I feel the possibilities for how exactly this plays out are a lot wider now than what they would’ve been with a 1:1 remake…I mean hell, Zack’s fate wasn’t even off the table for these madmen lol (to be clear though, I’m pretty sure Zack and Aerith will still both be dead by the end of this)
I suppose a lot comes down to whether any divergence shenanigans get fixed before all is said and done as well.

As @Odysseus emphasized, though, we're stuck right here for now.

Probably because no one knows what you're talking about. After your previous post I went back three pages in the thread to try and see what you were referring to and didn't find anything. After this I looked harder and see you haven't posted in this thread since January. Is this even the thread you're trying to post in?
I'm confused as well, @Clement Rage -- I don't know that this is the thread you meant? In any case, you know @Makoeyes987 , Odysseus, and myself are legitimately fans of Dirge, so if you do bring it up, you can at the very least expect us to discuss it earnestly rather than dismiss the topic without address because "lol Metal Gear Vincent" or "Gackt=the sound made when people vomit."

Not that I recall that happening here much anyway. At least not beyond a playful preamble. I feel like Dirge usually gets discussed to the same degree of seriousness as the rest of the Compilation. We've actually discussed it quite a lot here recently ...

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Dirge fucks. I unironically love it, even if I also think it is a very silly game with a silly plot. I'm happy it's gotten a new leas on life, and I do get kind of annoyed to see people dismiss it offhand. I do feel kind of bad about starting that debate over if the Yuffie DLC was a contradiction to it or not, which I've seen is still ongoing, though I've long since dipped out.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dirge fucks.

Dirge... Fucks?

I mean, that's certainly a take.

Well. I guess, if we compare things like that, I believe Dirge would be an eager yet first-time kinky lover, while Crisis Core would be the more experienced and straightforward romantic type. So while Dirge goes out with more inexperienced creativity, you get that intensity and uniqueness that Crisis Core might not be able to provide. :monster:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Shit, I actually like Dirge too. I've said from the beginning, I would like to see elements of it in the remake. If anything, I've seen Genesis (who I like) get shit on way more than it does.

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
Dirge... Fucks?

I mean, that's certainly a take.

Well. I guess, if we compare things like that, I believe Dirge would be an eager yet first-time kinky lover, while Crisis Core would be the more experienced and straightforward romantic type. So while Dirge goes out with more inexperienced creativity, you get that intensity and uniqueness that Crisis Core might not be able to provide. :monster:

Well, that’s an analogy I never expected to read, but thanks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom