How can you enjoy this game? Volume 3: Final Fantasy VIII

Umatbru

TLS's Resident Troll
It's 1999. If you weren't watching the matrix, anticipating the dreamcast or dreading Y2K, you were disappointed by Final Fantasy VIII, not because it has nothing to do with the previous game* but because they didn't improve shit. The gameplay is still turn based. There's still annoying random encounters and they still used a SNES to compose the music. The only improvements are better graphics, adoption of the dual shock controller and a storyline that makes sense, albeit seeming out of place for a JRPG. I will now speak the following words in a gruff dramatic american accent.

You are Squall Leonhart, A soldier who has been deployed to fight an invasion force as his final exam at a military academy.

It would not sound out of place in a FPS. If Final Fantasy VII was an immobile pile of junk
images

then Final Fantasy VIII is a moving chicane. (read: slower than Slow by Kylie Minogue)
Gaston-Mazzacane-2000-Brazilian-GP.jpg

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I see you decided to waste your mother's money on a game you had good reason to suspect you wouldn't enjoy. That pretty much says it all, I feel.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Says a lot more about the reviewer than anything he'll be able to say about the game itself.

Good luck with that Angry Internet Game Reviewer career that's not going to take off.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I see you decided to waste your mother's money on a game you had good reason to suspect you wouldn't enjoy. That pretty much says it all, I feel.
I warned him.

I warned him about Final Fantasy VIII not being the last Final Fantasy, the turn based battle system being the same, the random encounters, the music, EVERYTHING.

I DEMAND A REWARD FOR MY CLAIRVOYANCE. :rage:
Acceptable reward: chocolate

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Volume 3? I don't remember volume 2? :huh: EDIT: oh yeah it was Kingdom Hearts.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Says a lot more about the reviewer than anything he'll be able to say about the game itself.

Good luck with that Angry Internet Game Reviewer career that's not going to take off.

Careful what you say, the Angry Videogame Nerd™ may file a lawsuit! :quote:

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Oh look its back!
surprise, sur-fucking-prise you dont like FFVIII, never saw that one coming.

Do us a favour dude stay away from the FFseries and go join a forum thats not dedicated to a series you insist on pointlessly bashing.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
It's my experience that 99.999% of people who hate Final Fantasy VIII also SUCK at Triple Triad.

Coincidence?

I'd like to think so.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Fire magic if you have it works well. Blind is awesome for keeping yourself from being hit. Meltdown is ridiculous (only cast it once).

Actually, I think FFVIII is the most broken game when it comes to status effects... What with Pain (Sleep, Blind, Poison at the same time!) and Meltdown (Vitally and Spirit are redeuced to zero and it works on every single boss in the game!) existing, oh, and Fury for yourself...

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
If you play Triple Triad you can actually get the Pain spell rather early through Card Mod.

This is why I say that people who hate FFVIII suck at Triple Triad... because they can't get nice things early like those of us who are good at it. :)

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I quite enjoyed this game...although I got very frustrated by Rinoa's habit of wandering off alone in the middle of enemy fortresses.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Did you get the "starter deck" from the guy on the second floor of the Garden, right in front of the elevator?

If yes, then just press square to challenge someone to play. Not everyone plays, but using square will reveal who does.

If you did not get those free cards, you'll need to use Quezacotl's Card ability in battle to turn some monsters into cards. You'll also be getting (already received?) a really good one for beating the first boss. Anyway, you'll need at least five cards to play.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
He.... he missed the guy on the second floor??????

..... Who does that?

Top Bottom