• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

How did the Shinra Executives get their jobs?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
And what exactly are their roles? It's been a while since I talked Final Fantasy VII so just go ahead and run with that and I'll add in more later.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
They probably got to where they were by kissing a LOT of ass on their way up.

And I mean a LOT of ass...

And perhaps services in the front as well as the back ifyaknowwhatimean :monster:

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion

And perhaps services in the front as well as the back ifyaknowwhatimean :monster:

Yeah,in the corperate world you have to do a lot of butt kissing to get a high place in the company.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Well, I think Scarlet just kept shooting everybody off of cliffs and rose through the ranks. :monster:

SmokingWiid

Rookie Adventurer
There isn't much meaningful data or background history on them apart from their incredibly evil deportment. At a guess I'd say they were simply pals from a young age, or they are related to each other... some kind of familial situation. :nah:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Alright. I see TLS is definitely lacking imagination today. I'll start.

I think it would be easiest to start with Heidegger. He's the executive of Public Safety Maintenance, which is basically a euphimism for its military. I am unsure if it was always called that, but if it wasn't, I can bet that Heidegger earned his position during the Wutai War. He definitely looks like a military officer in his official artwork. He is portrayed as a bumbling fool during his management of the Turks and his handling of events in FF7, which is accurate for those assignments, but I figure that he's probably really good at his forte; conventional warfare.

Hojo, head of the Department of Science and Research is sort of an easy call, as we get some background info on that in Crisis Core as it elaborates that the position was open after Gasts death, with Hojo and Hollander vying for the top spot. For whatever reason Hollander's loss also means PERMANENT SHAME, instead of, you know, at least keeping the second best scientist, which being second place still really means you're a really good fucking scientist, around on staff. Anyway, I guess when Shinra got into the science research business they just drafted the best minds around from universities. That's how Lucrecia got her job.

Reeve is sort of easy too. As head of the Department of Urban Development, he was basically head architect of Midgar, the Mako Reactors, and probably Junon as well. He probably started off as a high end example of his field before being approached by Shinra during its weapons days for their expansion. Reeve also most likely had to collaborate with the Science department as well for the Mako business.

Scarlet, The Department of Weapons Development is a tough call. It's easy for people to assume 'sucking dat cock' but I think that's a pretty terrible call to give exclusively to her, because she's a woman and women aren't competent??? Anyway, she is probably a pretty fucking brilliant engineer, as this is Shinra's oldest and original department, and well, they're pretty fucking good at making weapons. Unless Scarlet recently got the reins from someone else in the past, she probably has some of the oldest ties to the family.

Palmer, head of the Department of Space Exploration got the short end of the stick all around. Undoubably the newest department, it got shafted in favor of pretty much all of the other departments. Palmer wasn't competent enough to convince them otherwise either. His origin...I wouldn't know. He's old as fuck though, so he could be an old friend of the family.

Palmer's dumbassery aside, HOWEVER, the department itself still lived on and I can bet that it was in charge of aeronautics and flying. Just how competent Palmer was at this would be almost irrelevant given the quality of Shinra's engineers to keep things moving with or without him there or much oversight.

Given that most of Shinra's vehicles are war based, they probably actually get most of their directions from Scarlet or Heidegger's departments.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Is Heidegger's outfit a military uniform? I always kind of assumed it was, but it would be a bit odd considering no one else in the world has a uniform like that.

I never figured Scarlet used any feminine wiles to get where she is. She does wear that dress, of course, but, well, she isn't very charming. She might be the most overtly evil of the bunch. (There's Hojo, of course, but he crazy, whereas Scarlet always seems to be in full control of her faculties.) And then there's that laugh...

Although Shinra still makes PLENTY of weapons, I imagine her role has been diminished slightly when the focus was switched to electric power. She's probably miffed about that which could be part of the reason why she's so gung ho in the Sephiroth, Weapon, and Avalanche threats. It gives her a chance once again to be the focus and do what she does best. Install giant-ass cannons on things. And also build a Gundam.

Any importance that Scarlet lost, Reeve probably gained in the switch to electricity. It's obvious they can't stand each other. It could just be because Reeve has a conscience, but it stands to reason she resents his department being so important.

And you bring an interesting point, Mog, I wonder why the head of the space program is such an old guy. Like you say, he could just be a friend of the family.

sucking dick

Hey, it worked for Tres. :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Is Heidegger's outfit a military uniform? I always kind of assumed it was, but it would be a bit odd considering no one else in the world has a uniform like that.

Yeah, it has medals and everything. He even has a big ol' scar running across his face. I doubt he's the only guy in the world that has a uniform like that, that's just all we've seen as players. All of the soldiers we fight are actually in combat situations and not in a position to wear their ceremonial uniforms obviously, and the game doesn't display any other high ranking military officials, even though there obviously has to be.

I have a lot of Headcanon for this

1. Heidegger: I'm with you, Mog, in thinking that at once time he was quite the war hero, like Herman Goering. He was once young, dashing, the toast of the town, and his celebrity helped to make Shinra popular; that was before he became old, fat, hairy and corrupt. He is bitter over the loss of his youth and charm, and easily swayed to support anyone who flatters him. His soldiers revere him. I like to think that he and Vincent served in the army together as young recruits, before Vincent moved sidways into the Turks and Heidegger became a role model for those seeking glory. I think the outfit he wears is an army greatcoat.

2. Scarlet. I also agree that she is a brilliant engineer, utterly ruthless, and loves to exercise power for its own sake. I don't think she slept to the top; she's too scary. Her relationship with the President is more like father-daughter. They are a mutual appreciation society.

3. Reeve. Also a brilliant and inspired engineer who likes to think of himself as "good" but is a moral coward who enjoys exercising power. He thinks of himself as "a safe pair of hands" who cares about the common good, and is blind to just how corrupt he really is.

4. Hojo - won the struggle for power in thre Science Department by being more brilliant and even more amoral than either Gast or Hollander.

Edit: Hojo is also completely fearless; he doesn't care what happens to himself or anyone else as long as "science" is served. Shinra is used to intimidating people, so his complete failure to intimidate someone as physically unprepossessing as Hojo really intrigues him. He probably has more respect for Hojo than anyone else on the board.

5. Lazard. Nepotism. Seriously, they put that haircut and those clothes in charge of a bunch of super-soldiers? And what's with the white gloves? Doesn't want to get his hands dirty. Heh, symbolism.

6. Veld: brilliant, ruthless, dedicated, untroubled by questions of morality until later in his career, when they came back to haunt him

7. Palmer: an old pal of Shinra's, and possibly an early investor in the company? Maybe he owns shares? He needed some sort of sinecure and was given the Space Program, but he's just a puppet director; Shinra makes all the decisions. Probably the only one on the board who is not brilliant in his field. Probably a competent manager.

Last edited:

Captain Jack Harkness

not a out-of-bounds guy
AKA
4nn4-chan, Loras Tyrell, Loki
in CoS Rufur remember a dialogue whit his father when he was 5 and says something like "Palmer said so" or similar, so i always guessed that he was a family friend (also, let's not forget that bot old prez and palmer went to Honeybee Inn, maybe they know each other there. :monster: )

in a fanfic Scarlet was a old prez' bastard, but in the same fanfic her creations couldn't work for more than 5 sec, so i think that was the reason she could reach her role

Splintered

unsavory tart
1. Heidger as a war hero is my new head canon, it also makes sense to me because post war, he feels like glorified middle management, away from the glory and the glitz. He's stuck between kissing Rufus ass and terrorizing his subordinates. He seems to interact with the soldiers well enough to develop some sort of reputation, he can beat the soldiers and no one thinks otherwise. So he's in charge of all the shinra soldiers and he keeps them in line with fear.

2. Scarlet's an odd one, she's The Department of Weapons Development... but she's been in a little bit of everything. She was there for Corel, she was there at the takedown of Sephiroth's force-field, and Tifa's "execution." It made me think more than anything else, Scarlet is used as a "fixer." A person who is given problems, then she solves them. Usually with as many bullets as she can find.

She's probably a brilliant engineer as well, seeing as she had pride in her weapons. But she climbed the ranks because proactive(ly evil).

It gives her a chance once again to be the focus and do what she does best. Install giant-ass cannons on things. And also build a Gundam.
Probably the single greatest way I've seen to describe Scarlet.

3. Reeve, he's passionate? At the very least he's good at what he does, which explains how he managed to construct the WRO out of the ashes of a civilization where the foundation of their stability was destroyed. He probably lived well considering his mother lived on the plate, but that didn't stop him from working hard.

My guess is he just persisted strong enough (don't you get an email from his department in CC?) and then was a good enough talker when it came to the president. Rufus did say that his father solved problems by throwing money at it, Reeve just probably let the president be as stupid as he liked while convincing him this was the best way to keep control, then took the money to help try build up Midgar.

4. Palmer got hit by a truck. Nobody gives a fuck about Palmer.

5. Hojo, every other scientist in Shinra eventually imploded. Except Hojo... until Hojo imploded. He was brilliant, and he happened to be playing around with the things Shinra wanted, super soldiers, Jenova, Ancients... but he wasn't exactly the most helpful of Shinra execs. But considering science was the only way to get the answers they wanted (Promise Land), Hojo was the most important person in the building.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
(also, let's not forget that bot old prez and palmer went to Honeybee Inn, maybe they know each other there. :monster: )
OH GOD I'VE JUST HAD THE WORST MENTAL IMAGE

4. Palmer got hit by a truck. Nobody gives a fuck about Palmer.

But also this. :monster:

All I have to add is that I have a soft spot for Reeve, and while I'd agree he was somewhat cowardly I can kind of understand why. I dont think he's actually corrupt. I think he really wanted to bring down Shinra but his powers are limited. He had to tread extremely carefully or risk being buried in the foundations of one of his creations.

As for how Reeve got his job, I'm guessing he worked under someone else as an apprentice of sorts and then just succeeded into that job role.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
OH GOD I'VE JUST HAD THE WORST MENTAL IMAGE

But also this. :monster:

All I have to add is that I have a soft spot for Reeve, and while I'd agree he was somewhat cowardly I can kind of understand why. I dont think he's actually corrupt. I think he really wanted to bring down Shinra but his powers are limited. He had to tread extremely carefully or risk being buried in the foundations of one of his creations.

As for how Reeve got his job, I'm guessing he worked under someone else as an apprentice of sorts and then just succeeded into that job role.

Yeah,Reeve defiantly is a moral person put in a very amoral enviorment.There is a reason later he secretly decides to side with Advalanche.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Heidegger being a war hero from Shinra's campaign in Wutai has been headcanon for so long that I thought it *was* canon.

Someone - I think it was findthetiger at GA - mooted the possbility of there being two Wutai wars a generation apart, like WWI and II, a suggestion I find plausible. I imagine Heidegger being the war hero of WWI (Wutai War I) and Sephiroth the hero of WWII - but no doubt this is at least partly because I equate him in my mind with Herman Goering.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Reeve has to tread extremely carefully. He's very vulnerable, because he's the only executive (except Palmer) that doesn't have a means of supporting his authority by force. As soon as he gets too mouthy to Heideger and Scarlet they immediately have him arrested. As such, he has to have been a damned good politician to get his position and keep it.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Reeve has to tread extremely carefully. He's very vulnerable, because he's the only executive (except Palmer) that doesn't have a means of supporting his authority by force. As soon as he gets too mouthy to Heideger and Scarlet they immediately have him arrested. As such, he has to have been a damned good politician to get his position and keep it.

Being around very amoral people you have to sometimes make pragmatic decisions.

Top Bottom