• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

How do you feel about DLC?

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
This comes from a thread I read somewhere else about someone asking about FFXIII DLC.

My first thought is, why the hell would I want DLC in FFXIII. The game shouldnt behalf assed to begin with, should be a long adventure and all the side quests and items should be included within the game. I dont want to pay $60 for a game and then another 5-10 per extra quest. RPG's didnt do this in the past and shouldnt today. We have had 99 plus hour long games on the PS1 and PS2, and I expect no less from a FF on the next gen consoles.

Its good for some games, like the PSN or Live games, and maybe some games here and there, but companies like Capcom are being money whores recently, charging for extra costumes in fighting games (which should be standard like they always were) and for extra difficulty settings (which should have been included in the first place.)

What are your thoughts on DLC?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Depends on the circumstance. A lot of the times you're paying to unlock content already on the disc, which is just infuriating.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I completely agree. It's just another way to make more money, when the cost of games is already up 10-20$ from last gen.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
If it's just stuff already there, that you're paying again just to be able to access something you've already paid for, I agree with Dacon. Things like that should just be unlockable from the game itself, or free to get. Extra difficulty settings or costumes.

If it was something more substantial and for time reasons just couldn't be include at first or something, I guess I wouldn't mind paying, but most DLC doesn't seem to be that.

Is it XBox DLC where every game has to have it, and you have to pay for all of them?

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I believe so. On Live, the developers dont get to set the prices for their DLC. On PSN, the developer can choose to charge nothing if they want to.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Actually, developers don't have to charge you for extra content on Live either.

Most just choose to.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Are you sure about that? Im could have swore that Microsoft is the one who sets the prices, not the developers.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Nope. Valve isn't even charging for New Left for Dead content if headlines are correct.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Wow this certainly sounds lame. Do they actually expect to do well on this with the economy being as it is?

Purple

Charmed
If the DLC's are free, I don't mind.

If they are not, I don't buy them. They're pretty useless anyway.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
DLC like GTA4's Lost and the Damned, which is essentially a whole new game added onto another one for just 20 bucks, I'm cool with.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I wouldnt say its a whole new game. Its just a set of missions if I assume correctly.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Dood, it's a new game.

New storyline, new missions, new guns, new vehicles and radio stations.

It's like 20 hours of new gameplay.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
ah I didnt realize it was that long. See, thats worth it.

But I cant help but think, at the same time, it could have been added into the main game from the get go.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
well it was in development shortly after the game was released, so no harm done as far as I'm concerned.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That kind of DLC sounds worth it, basically a new game using the same engine.

Has anyone played that Epilogue thing from the new Prince of Persia? I don't know if that's just a title, but if you're meant to pay more to get the proper ending to the game, that's shitty.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
I read a review for it and they said the gameplay experience wasnt anything new with it. Which I guess goes both ways, since what do you expect, its the same game. But I think the main qualm with it was that since you had to pay for it they expected it to be better, since there were more exciting parts during the main game.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Download content is mostly something I really fucking hate.

If it's something wortwhile, like that GTAIV add-on, that'd be okay with me.
But recently, you just get a lot of small extra stuff that should be part of the game to begin with and you still have to pay extra money. That's bullshit.

I fucking hate it when they announce DLC before the game's even out.
You got it finished already? Then put it into the game ffs.

And paying for DLC that basically just unlocks stuff already on the disc is bullshit too.

FFXIII isn't supposed to get any download content, by the way. Which is a good thing.

Nocturne

AKA
Just Nocturne will do
yeah, Im glad it isnt getting it either. DLC for a massive RPG would piss me off. It should all be there in the first place.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Back in the old days, you had expansion packs for games that added levels - think Yuri's Revenge, Brood War, andsoforth. Nowadays, that went to DLC and in smaller chunks.

I think that it can add to a game, but only if it doesn't attempt to add to the story. I mean, PoP's DLC... that's like admitting they fucked up on the story. GTA 4's DLC sounds better, with an all-new character and missions. Dunno about Fallout 3's DLC, two outta three are not related to the original game and take place somewhere else, but the third is supposed to take place at the same spot as the original. What do they want to do with that, I wonder?

DLC however is a medium of the future, and will certainly help cover the massive costs of game development.

At the same time, it actually adds to the more or less storyless games like World of Goo, that could easily get a new chapter every few months without doing the original game any injustice.

Top Bottom