• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

How do you think Tifa and Barret met?

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
We officially know from Episode: Tifa (On the Way to a Smile) she met Barret and Marlene at age 18 when Marlene was already 2. So, maybe Barret was already settling into Midgar from Corel, slowly forming Avalanche and making loose plans to get back at Shinra??

I'm assuming Tifa already inherited the bar from the old owner that died (if scrapped content means anything)/was probably already working there since she was in Midgar since age 15. Maybe Barret was a regular at 7th Heaven and he knew the guy. It's the Slums, nobody would really think twice about who's running the place as long as they get their drinks. lol.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
We officially know from Episode: Tifa (On the Way to a Smile) she met Barret and Marlene at age 18 when Marlene was already 2. So, maybe Barret was already settling into Midgar from Corel, slowly forming Avalanche and making loose plans to get back at Shinra??

I'm assuming Tifa already inherited the bar from the old owner that died (if scrapped content means anything)/was probably already working there since she was in Midgar since age 15. Maybe Barret was a regular at 7th Heaven and he knew the guy. It's the Slums, nobody would really think twice about who's running the place as long as they get their drinks. lol.

So, that answers the question. Also it bring minds how old are you supposed to be in order to drink?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Crisis Core. It seems like most people consider it on par with or sometimes BETTER than the original game, but I just don't see it. It's a game full of wasted potential in my eyes.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
It is the best game out of the Compilation titles
I'm gonna be the big contrarian and say I actively like Dirge better. Both because the story doesn't bother me as much as CC's does, and because the gameplay, while basic, is much less repetitive than Crisis Core's. Neither game is amazing though.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
While playing through the story, I don't find CC to be repetitive. Now if you make a push to play through the side missions, you will rapidly wear out its welcome. The secret is to not do those, lol. They were set up for portable moments when you're on the subway or something.

But yeah I can understand preferring Dirge, I find the arcadey play kinda fun, guess I'm just a stan... But I don't pretend either are truly good, lol.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Yeah, the Compilation often left much to be desired, especially when it came to character portrayals and stories.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Okay fine, I un-ironically love Dirge. The plot is fucking bonkers and makes me laugh (Vincent seriously does the "*teleports behind you* nothin' personnel, kid." during the final battle with Weiss!) The art direction is much better than the rest of the compilation, I really like the neon thing deep ground has going on, Vincent's more stylized design is much better than how he looked in advent children, Yuffie's new outfit suits her a lot better than her AC one does. The game also has a SENSE OF HUMOR! Reeve gets fuckin shot to death but it was actually a robot Reeve! That's stupid and amazing! When Vincent asks Cloud if he can handle things outside, cloud's like "What do you think?" That's great!

The gameplay is a little bland at times but I have fun with it, and Shademp's epic length thread about it has made me appreciate that the game has more nuance than I appreciated originally. Getting combos is satisfying, taking out a bunch of enemies at once with explosive barrels or magic is a lot of fun. The bosses are maybe a little hit and miss, but I really like the Tsviet fights, Rosso and Azul especially. Also, Getting to see areas from the original game is really cool (though with the remake coming this novelty will be lost a bit.) I once sat down and ran through the Shinra Mansion stage with the original game playing on my laptop just to compare the layout (it's actually incredibly close!) and then did the same with the Shinra Building lobby. Exploring Edge in a video game was also pretty novel.

Reeve probably has my favorite actor in the compilation, and his voice actor is the only one I was actively sad to see go for the remake with this new trailer. He manages to sound incredibly earnest and genuine about the stupid bull shit that's happening during Dirge's plot. Rosso's Bizzare Russian accent is also really funny. Why does she sound like that? She was raised in the same environment as the other Tsviets. None of THEM are Russian. Whatever, I love it. Speaking of audio, Dirge has a lot of great ambient tracks, "Silent Edge" being my favorite.

So yes, I fucking love Dirge of Cerberus, and I think it deserves more credit.

Okay, I have now thoroughly derailed my own thread. Nice. If anybody is curious, I started drawing the first page of the comic that the thread question was relevant to. Here's the pencil sketch:

I'm working on coloring it now.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Wow, that's a lot of detail.

Further digression: Woo! Team Dirge! I've always loved that game, it just...fits together, in a way few other games do. The things that usually jar me are built into the story, it's put together with care and features all the things I want to see but almost never do.

Top Bottom