How real could they have made AC?

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
I was thinking about this after watching this video:

If they had taken photos of actors/models (or did they actually?), formed a 3D model from them and then edited the facial features to resemble those of FFVII's characters, how realistic could they have made them look? Very, it would seem from watching this.

I remember Nomura saying he didn't want to make AC too realistic, which is fair enough. But the question is, would you have been curious to have seen how realistic the movie, especially the characters, could have looked?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
That. The interview (saw that a year ago or something) is smack-dab in the middle of Uncanny Valley - realistic enough to fool at first look, but scary-looking.

And why would one make photorealistic people when it's easier to just tape actual people? Besides historical movies where you make actors look like Hitler, of course.

If they wanted to, they could make it very realistic. But AC wasn't supposed to be, so :monster:. It's good enough in graphics as far as I'm concerned.

Smaddy

Green Mage
I wouldn't want it to look like that, even if it were possible. It's not supposed to look that realistic. I like what they did with it. I think it looks realistic enough, and they did a fantastic job animating it.

Plus, let's just say they did use photos of actors to animate. What would they do for Red XIII and Cait Sith, then?

Lightning

AKA
CrimsonLight
It's basically from their(or Nomura's) designs. They scan it, import it in their software, and then, they start sculpting and molding the characters from polygons.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
For one fleeting, desperate moment I thought and hoped that this thread would be about Assassin's Creed :(

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
The one thing that stood out for me during my first viewing of AC was not the amazing visuals, or the story, or the music or the characters.

It was my mother commenting on how realism in the film CGI was ridiculously contradicted by the heights to which each character could jump.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
The one thing that stood out for me during my first viewing of AC was not the amazing visuals, or the story, or the music or the characters.

It was my mother commenting on how realism in the film CGI was ridiculously contradicted by the heights to which each character could jump.

That's the main reason why I never watch movies with my parents >_>

Neutron Ronnie

From The Front of Armament
AKA
Powerslave
My mother's complaint was that Cloud wasn't bleeding enough when Sephiroth stabbed him. When she came over for my graduation, I showed her the new scenes from Complete, and then she complained there was too much blood. :monster:

What was Nomura's reason for not wanting it to be too realistic, again?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
My mother's complaint was that Cloud wasn't bleeding enough when Sephiroth stabbed him. When she came over for my graduation, I showed her the new scenes from Complete, and then she complained there was too much blood. :monster:

What was Nomura's reason for not wanting it to be too realistic, again?

Because he was well aware that it'd be right in the Uncanny Valley (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Mori_Uncanny_Valley.svg), and it'd take a fortune (think ten times more) to get it to a level beyond that.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
No. It would've looked stupid. Just like Bewoulf did.

I've never seen Beowulf because I was told it was rubbish. It was all in CGI?

Also, SE must have some super powerful computers to handle making AC/C. Anyone have any idea of what specs they might be?

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Also, SE must have some super powerful computers to handle making AC/C. Anyone have any idea of what specs they might be?
Goatse

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
High-end PCs for the modeling itself, and a massive renderfarm for the actual rendering of the movie and/or parts thereof, which would still take days (maybe weeks?) to render the movie. But the editing occurs largely on lower resolutions, so the computers can handle it without becoming sluggish.

Top Bottom