How the Materia system should have been. (Idea/Opinion)

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
I like the Materia system as it is now, but the problem in my opinion is that we already have Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga, Curaga and so on when a Materia is maxed out near the end of Part 1 in this multipart project. I hope that the REMAKE will carry our progress from Part 1 over to the next game, but how will this work when we have maxed out Materias?

In the Original FFVII we did not have Ra or Ga Magics. We had Fire, Fire 2, Fire 3, Lightning, Lightning 2, Lightning 3 and so on.

Here is my idea how the Materia System should have been handled in this multipart project. In the first game, instead of leveling up Fire to Fira, it could be so that you level up Fire to Fire 2 (Fire lv.2) and then to Fire 3 (Fire lv.3). Just like in the Original FFVII. And then we could carry over our Materia to the next game where they could introduce us to Materia Fusion. Maybe Chadley could be the one, where he says that he might have found a way to fuse Materias to create even more powerful Materias.

You would need two maxed out Materias to fuse them into one new more powerful Materia.
- Fire 3 (Fire lv.3) + Fire 3 (Fire lv.3) = Fira Materia.

In part 2 you would be restricted to only fuse Ra Materias and not Ga such as Firaga Materia. Trying to fuse two Ra Materias (Fira 3 + Fira 3) would result in the Materia going out of control and exploding. This could be explained by Chadley to the group. The Ra type Materia can be leveled up further as well.
Fira (Fira lv.1), Fira 2 (Fira lv.2) and then Fira 3 (Fira lv.3)

Then in Part 3, Chadley finds a way to fuse two maxed out Ra type Materias into Ga Materias through the fusion process without the Materia going out of control. So then in Part 3 we get Firaga Materia and start to further level it up to Firaga 2 (Firaga lv.2) and then to its max level Firaga 3 (Firaga lv.3).

This way we could carry over our progress and our Materias. Also imagine using Fire 2 and Fire 3 just like in the Original, nostalgia. What do you think? Give me your honest opinion :D

LegendarySaiyan

AKA: SalihGuclu
"Fire 2" and "Fire 3" were "Fira" and "Figa" in the original as well. The numerical designations were just a localization thing.
This, I know. Though since this is a multipart project where the story is divided into multiple parts, I thought of this type of Materia progression would fit these games instead of having to level up Materia from Fire to Firaga in every episode :) Again, just my opinion :D

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
I think the final battle might offer an idea of how our materia may progress in future parts: an Elemental Infusion ability to select and apply a chosen element property to your weapon, and amplified elemental magic spells like Thunderstorm and Firewall.

The scene with Scarlet also seems to imply that Shinra is developing technology for materia synthesis and fusion.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm fine with them integrating fusion, but linking was more important to me than fusion, so I'm glad they focused on getting that down first.

It's still crazy to me that the materia system is one they never revisited, despite it's popularity. Meanwhile they've basically been using Sphere Grids of varying complexity for four straight single-player games. But they nailed it here, so kudos.

Top Bottom