I want to get you guys to play some cool RPGs

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
But I have no idea how. There's a lot of talk about modern games, which is cool! But I'm surprised at how little of you guys have played the classic RPGs. The old Breath of Fires, the Suikodens, Wild Arms, the Tales series, Suikoden, so on and so forth. A lot of these games are on the PSN, but as far as getting everyone to talk about them and play them...how?

AvecAloes

Donator
Give us the monies with which to buy them, and convince everyone's bosses to let them take time off work :P

But seriously...I have nothing against these games, I think that for me, I just haven't heard of many of them. Recommend them, and perhaps people will give them a try. Start a thread for one of your favorite ones, present your argument as to why we should play it, then sit back and see if anything happens. :)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
How about organising a playthrough once we've finished IX? I'd definitely be up for playing something like BoF, Suikoden or Wild Arms.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Start a thread for one of your favorite ones, present your argument as to why we should play it, then sit back and see if anything happens. :)

I've done this before, and it gets like ten views and two replies. Eventually I just went 'fuck it'. I can't force interest if it isn't there, but I'd like to be working with open minds towards an effort I'd make.

How about organising a playthrough once we've finished IX? I'd definitely be up for playing something like BoF, Suikoden or Wild Arms.

Enough people would have to buy said game first, though. I wouldn't mind.

Lex

Administrator
It's actually ridiculously easy, and outlined in the IX playthrough thread. An emulator called pSX perfectly emulates the old Playstation without all the fancy trimmings some other emulators have. My 7 year old laptop can run and stream it at a full 60FPS. Hell, it can even run FFX on PCSX2 at 60FPS, though that one is actually tricky to set up.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Am tempted to try emulating some PS1 games on my laptop now :sadpanda: if I can record footage of them while I do.

I have been looking at the PSP version of Suikoden 1 and 2, and the updated Tactics Orge on the PSP too.

Also old Megami Tensei games because I said so.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
convince everyone's bosses to let them take time off work :P

This is my main issue. I have such a backlog of games to get through, it will never happen in my lifetime.

The only thing I've had time for is that shitty Airborne Brigade game, and that's because it's on my phone and I can sort of piddle a bit with it at work.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
I'm always up to try good RPGs. I have Chrono Trigger on the list of games I must play, any more suggestions would be welcome, I'm sick and could definitely use something to pass the time.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I heard a lot of good things about this game when it originally came out. I'd definitely like to try it (or something similar). I've already played Chrono Trigger but I guess that's quite similar to FF.

If you are a fan of Dragon Ball Z then you will love Chrono Trigger.Mainly because Akira Toriyama the creator of DBZ helped do art design for the game.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I heard a lot of good things about this game when it originally came out. I'd definitely like to try it (or something similar). I've already played Chrono Trigger but I guess that's quite similar to FF.

Suikoden is such an interconnected series if you play the first one you're pretty much obligated to play the rest. Very fun series.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Suikoden II isn't (unless they've added it in the last couple of months), because Konami are idiots. Which is particularly galling since it's widely recognised as the best game in the series.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I've played Suikoden I and then never played any of the other ones. I think FF's ATB system spoiled me; normal turn-based seems really slow now and I get frustrated with it.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
By the way, if you're going to play the second on emulator then you should play the first on emulator as well, since you can import your save from the first to the second and will get one or two extra characters for doing so (depending on how many characters you recruited in the first game). They're badass characters too so it's worth it.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
If you're going to play EarthBound, you're probably going to have to emulate it, unless you're willing to fork over 200 bucks for a cartridge.
Just a warning. But the game is totally awesome and definitely one that anyone who loves RPGs or hates RPGs will love for its quirky humor and parodying of the RPG genre. Should be top priority out of any game on this list. I also highly recommend its sequel, Mother 3, which you will definitely have to emulate if you want to play it in English. Its predecessor, Mother, is good as well, though not as good as its successors. If you're going to play the first one(which you will also have to emulate), I recommend the Tomato fan translation of the Mother 1+2 version rather than the unreleased official English version. Especially since it has the easy ring, which makes the game much easier, without it it is a very difficult game that requires tons of grinding, but with it, it starts out very easy but the difficulty balances out later on and requires little to no level grinding. I also recommend it for maintaining the connections between Mother 1 and EarthBound.
tl;dr play EarthBound or gtfo.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
PSN won't release Suikoden 2, I've already played through 1.

I've played some BoF and BoF2 back in the SNES days, liked what I saw, and have been meaning to repurchase them off Virtual Console. BoF4 is finished.

I love the Tales series, and I've played through them before really sitting down with Final Fantasy if you can believe that. I wish Namco would HD-package release their older Tales games. I already own and have finished Tales of Destiny for the PS1, and really really really want that PS2 Director's Cut remake. If there was a petition I'd ever gladly be involved with, it'd be that. Other Tales games that are finished: Symphonia, Legendia (music's fantastic), and Abyss. I'm aware of every other release and am looking to acquire them.

I also adore Fire Emblem and am glad Awakening is bringing it back into the public eye. Already played through Sacred Stones (favorite), and Path of Radiance (second favorite.)

I own most of the wild arms, 1, 2, and 3, but haven't gotten past a few hours in each. I'm love their openings

The list also needs Legend of Dragoon, the Grandias, and definitely, DEFINITELY the Xenosagas. I have also played through Xenogears.

And of course, the Chrono Triggers and the Mana series.

Another favorite of mine that should also be added is Soul Blazer, of which I'm still hunting down, Terranigma too. I own Illusion of Gaia and have finished it since its release. Good games.

Top Bottom