• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS If Genesis does return, how would you like to see him handled?

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Mako is highly knowledgable but he sees with clouded eyes. His dislike of Genesis is blinding him to the brilliance of the eventual return.

Reactions: LNK

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Get outta here LMFAO

You need to get that GDS checked out. I cannot lolol

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Listen closely, Mako, there is meaning in our words. Genesis is returning. Why is that so horrifying to you? You actually came up with an intriguing way to use him in remake yourself, earlier in the thread!

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I don't think Genesis "returning" is impossible or even taboo. It just needs to make sense. I would want it to make sense. It should make sense and be respectful to the source material.

Like any character's appearance from the Compilation.

If they wanted to use Genesis, they could've used him in Episode Intermission. They were literally right friggin' there. We saw two of the strongest, most powerful Tsviets. And they didn't use Genesis.

They can revisit him upon going back to Midgar but again. It needs make sense.

Why the hell would they use Genesis from the future when he's already here in the present? Because of a damn stinger from 2006?? Because of that?

That's literally the most unimportant and ridiculous reason to use Genesis. Include him in a logical, consistent way. Why would the writers time tunnel Genesis to a moment in time he already exists in, just to have a cameo?

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Wild idea, they just change what happens to Genesis post-CC and bring back since remake’s timeline is altered anyways

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
They didn't change what happened to Nero and Weiss though, did they?

Or Kyrie, Leslie Kyle and Mireille.

Or any other of the Compilation characters.

Do you not get that there's the pattern of actually toeing the line and staying consistent with the Compilation and writing within the continuity of what's established? They're not just flinging pasta at the wall and seeing what sticks here.

It's restraint. A restraint meant to ensure nothing distracts too heavily from the main story.

Limestone

Rookie Adventurer
I think Genesis is one of the trickier characters to include in Remake outside of a digital copy or something. He's supposed to be sleeping under Midgar, so if a party member encountered him, would he just... go back to sleep? If he stays awake, then the story has to accommodate his presence the rest of the way.

I don't like the idea of connecting DoC's ending with Remake. For one, Genesis already exists, so I don't see why another one (from the future or another timeline) needs to be there. Would Weiss be there, too? If not, where is he? If so, then they'd need to give him a motivation and provide context as to why he's out of Deepground (Hojo, merging with Nero, etc.). That would be a lot to dump on new players. Most of it doesn't even concern the main story outside of Genesis' connection to Sephiroth. It wouldn't even resolve all of DoC's plot threads unless they somehow brought in Shalua.

I think there are avenues to introduce Genesis, but smaller ones. A digital recreation; a flashback from Zack; a quick explanation of the Genesis Wars if the party visits Banora. He would still get his cameo, but wouldn't be a distraction from the story.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
They didn't change what happened to Nero and Weiss though, did they?

Or Kyrie, Leslie Kyle and Mireille.

Or any other of the Compilation characters.

Do you not get that there's the pattern of actually toeing the line and staying consistent with the Compilation and writing within the continuity of what's established? They're not just flinging pasta at the wall and seeing what sticks here.

It's restraint. A restraint meant to ensure nothing distracts too heavily from the main story.
But they did change what happened to Zack. Hell, the whole mystery behind him is one of the main selling points for the rest of the remake.

If they want to bring back Genesis whether in a large or small way, they’ll just do it. All of your examples are pre-Singularity anyways so whatever changes made to justify bringing back Zack and Biggs can easily be used for Genesis if they so desire.

Honestly, it’s really not worth spending so much energy on constant “why X absolutely cannot happen” teardown mode. It’s a lot more productive to just imagine what could be or if not, just let it be. There are far, far more outlandish lines of thought out there.

Last edited:

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
I'm telling y'all he'll be this eccentric over dramatic actor at the Gold Saucer. Everyone around him will be all like "This guy is such a ham, why is so in love with these stupid poems" "What's this guy's deal? He's on one of those trendy Banora dumb apple diet's? That stuff's a scam!" "This guy is so weird does he have some kind of hair eating fetish or something?"

He'll get along with Roche.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
a flashback from Zack

This is what I've hoped for. Include him in the flashback stuff, and call it a day. Maybe even include him in the return to Midgar section. Not as a battle though. Maybe we see him sealed in his water bubble, and have some acknowledgment to him or something

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
After all the stuff I've dug up to argue with Mako, I just do not believe they were done with him after Crisis Core. Yeah it was all from like 13 to 16 years ago now, but at the same time we're just now getting to New ff7 materials so I don't think that discounts anything.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I'd be surprised if they did something more than what was done for Weiss though

Limestone

Rookie Adventurer
After all the stuff I've dug up to argue with Mako, I just do not believe they were done with him after Crisis Core. Yeah it was all from like 13 to 16 years ago now, but at the same time we're just now getting to New ff7 materials so I don't think that discounts anything.
I think they probably had some plans for Genesis post-DoC. Who knows how far into planning they were, though. It's possible it never went much further than "Genesis will do something in the future." With the remaster of Crisis Core, I'm sure someone will ask about his fate in an interview.

I think my primary issue is that including DoC-era Genesis unnecessarily complicates Remake's story for little gain. So far, new/Compilation characters are not involved with the main Sephiroth plotline. They have their own little stories, which fleshes out the world, but does not impact anything else. If Genesis were involved he would undoubtedly have interactions with Sephiroth, but that's not his battle to win, so would he just lose and that's it? People hated his inclusion in the Nibelheim scene let alone having him sprinkled around the present story.

Genesis was also under-written in CC. I don't have a clear idea of what kind of person he was supposed to be at the end of the game. He's decided to protect the planet, but is he still horrendously self-centered? Does he feel any guilt over the pain and death he caused? Remake would have to clarify his character and motivations, distracting from the main story. The same goes for Weiss. If Remake does nothing with Weiss (or Shalua in the box), then it still fails to fully resolve DoC's ending despite giving Genesis a final arc.

All this is to say, I rather just not have him involved in any large capacity. I think it'd be difficult to properly write and those unfamiliar with DoC would need a bunch of additional context. Genesis and Weiss would get new character arcs, but how much time could realistically be given to them? Weiss in particular would be so far removed from his original story. There's also Gackt's health problems to consider. Obviously, despite my misgivings, there's still a chance they include post-DoC Genesis. Maybe they'd even make it work. But if the writers truly want to explore Genesis and Weiss, I rather they just make a DoC sequel and give them room to grow as a major focus. I also find this unlikely, but hey, with the release of Ever Crisis they can use the FC acronym and make Final Crisis.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's not impossible to make Genesis work, but it'd be difficult to utilize him in a meaningful way without it being too distracting.

Something like how they used Nero and Weiss in Episode Intermission. If they wanted to make him an optional boss and scene in Midgar, say... Around the time Meteorfall is about to happen, where the party briefly encounters him with no real awareness or knowledge of who he is... That would be possible. After all, no one would know who he is or what he looks like, and given Midgar's eventual destruction, it's not like he'd be easily found again after Meteorfall. He'd just be an enigmatic boss encounter.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Isn't he a giant celebrity with a giant fanclub second only to Sephiroth, though? If they want to do a bossfight, the easy way would be a surviving high end Genesis copy. If they wanted to foreshadow Sephiroth, you could even have Genesis remote controlling a copys from his refuge like Sephiroth is able to.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
Whatever the case may be, if part 2 ends up going as far as the Northern Crater then I think I’d prefer part 3 to be where they really dive into Compilation material

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
Every time I hear people talk about Genesis, or even just watch vids like that, I get the feeling that there was actually some real potential in the character concept. That goes for Angeal too. I think the script just needed reworking maybe...

Top Bottom