If you could make a new Compilation game (not a remake) what would you do with it?

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Omnislash, Big Brawl, and Doom of the Living, all at once! It'd be like watching a school of red-belly piranhas in a feeding frenzy!

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Dynamite plus Blade Beam might be cool. Oh, and since its established that Chaos "returned to the Planet" with Omega at the end of DoC, Vincent needs a new Level 4 Limit doesn't he? Or do we stick with the other three transformations?

Ghost X

So you want FFX-2.

And you're dead wrong. Most of the shit you like about FFVII came from Nomura offering his input and shit on the plot. Especially in terms of gameplay and mini-games.

Don't know what's mundane about any of his stuff either.

Haha, not at all. I've already mentioned what I'm after. GTA with the battle system (and well-written story) of FFXII + elements from FFVII, with an alterable plot. In my mind, that's nowhere near FFX-2.

Nomura was good back in the day of the original FFVII, but its obvious his style has evolved since then. To me it seems, with each project he has worked on since, the story and gameplay gets worse in quality, and more family friendly =P. I guess its like with artists of all kinds, they reach their creative peak and after that, they just suck.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
You know, alterable plot isn't a terrible idea, though I am not entirely sure how that would work out with FFVII. At the very least your behavior and such could affect what characters could possibly join the party. Like say early on in the story a mission involves protecting/rescuing Denzel when he sets out to do something or other to prove himself to Cloud. Optional Dialog choices and player actions during the mission could either allow Denzel to join the party, relegate him to the sidelines, or even cause him to start acting out and hanging with a bad crowd because he feels babied. Similarly, how you choose to interact with Rufus and Tseng could change whether the Turks interact with the player party, making them allies (playable or NPC, I prefer playable), getting in the way intentionally or comically as they go about their business separately, or directly attack the party.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
No, I want to see decisions affect the storyline, rather than seeing an unalterable storyline from different perspective, which you speak of. Even better, if you can see an alterable storyline from different perspectives. Multiple endings have been done with a lot of games in recent times, I understand (games I haven't played, but are well-received etc).

Continuity matters too much to FFVII for me to support this idea. :monster:

We really don't need any more, "'This is the canon version of that scene.' 'No, this is'" business. :awesome:

Ghost X said:
I know its extreme to replace Tetsuya, especially given the compilation is his love child, but he has to be punished somehow :P. At this rate FFXV will consist of only two characters, a zipper and a belt, and the storyline will be just as mundane.

Don't know what's mundane about any of his stuff either.

In agreement with Mako.

I'm confused as to what Nomura's supposedly doing wrong. AC/C was really his only major involvement in the Compilation. Everything else was written and directed by other people, with Nomura only doing the character designs and offering some occasional input (e.g. "No, Kitase-san, you ignorant fuck, don't involve JENOVA in the battle in the reactor in Crisis Core"; paraphrased from a real event in which Nomura did something good in my opinion).

I know AC/C is hit-or-miss with everyone, but I liked it. And then there's the KH series, which I think is very well done.

Yeah, really, I'm confused. What's Nomura doing wrong?

The Compilation, by the way, would probably be better characterized as Kitase's love child. It was his idea and he's the only one heavily involved with each title. And DC was pretty much all his concept.

You know, alterable plot isn't a terrible idea, though I am not entirely sure how that would work out with FFVII. At the very least your behavior and such could affect what characters could possibly join the party.

That could be acceptable. They could do it like Chrono Cross where you couldn't get everyone on a single playthrough, and then had to play through it several times to finally have everybody on the team at once.

Last edited:

Vendel

Banned
New game? Make Tifa's tits bigger. Yuffie also.

And you know...something about doing stuff and peril.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Continuity matters too much to FFVII for me to support this idea. :monster:

We really don't need any more, "'This is the canon version of that scene.' 'No, this is'" business. :awesome:

This is why I thought it might not work out so well exactly.

Yeah, really, I'm confused. What's Nomura doing wrong?

Well said. Its just fun to laugh at how many belts and zippers people wear, especially Reeve's weird top-to-bottom zipper.

That could be acceptable. They could do it like Chrono Cross where you couldn't get everyone on a single playthrough, and then had to play through it several times to finally have everybody on the team at once.

This was my inspiration for the player's choices effecting available party members exactly. :awesome:

Ghost X

Personally, if its the last game in the series, does it really matter what ending takes place? If its a multiple choice, then all possible paths would be canon, just in alternate universes :P. Arguments therefore couldn't be that only one path was canon, but rather which ending they thought was the best etc. More endings may actually be more satisfying for those who seek a particular conclusion to the series, as there is more of a chance their kind of ending would take place :P.

Even if Nomura hasn't been as much involved with other projects after FFVII, I think his artwork has still stagnated. Feel free to argue, but that won't change that I find him boring. Hell, if I could possibly find him entertaining, I'd be happy (the more entertaining things in the world, the better), but it just ain't happening.

Gym Leader Devil

AKA
So many names
Any ending where Nanaki doesn't die makes the 500-years-later scene possible. Well ok, I guess Dineh has to survive too, but since we haven't even seen her outside of BC I don't know if it matters.

Perhaps Dineh could also be an optional party member, gained by doing something at Cosmo Canyon, and Nanaki can be really surprised to find out that she isn't dead to make everything since BC make more sense.

Edit: Oh, another idea that comes to mind. However the battle system works, I'd like to make it so that when you encounter an enemy significantly weaker than you character(s), they are instantly defeated. Lifted directly from Earthbound, cause it was an awesome idea. I hated having to fight weak-ass monsters everytime I backtracked into earlier areas of the game in the original.

Last edited:

Ghost X

If the battle system was like an RPG version of Metal Gear Online (MGS4's version), that'd be really good :P. No, that doesn't make it like DoC :P.

Top Bottom