IGN's 7 Things The Final Fantasy VII Remake Needs

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Article is here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/16/7-things-the-final-fantasy-7-remake-needs

So, I thought the article was making some okay points until I got to number 6, which says:

"Let's Change That Twist

So spoilers: one of the main characters of Final Fantasy 7 dies halfway through the game. The first time we witnessed Aeris fall at the sword of Sephiroth, we were left with our mouths agape. It may seem a bit played out in 2015, but having such a central, playable character die halfway through a story was a huge deal 20 years ago. What we're proposing with the Remake is that Square take the impact of this moment, but turn it onto its head. What if instead of Aeris dying halfway through the game, Cloud is the one who Sephiroth strikes down? Imagine how the second half of Final Fantasy 7 would unfold from the flower girl's perspective as opposed to the moody SOLDIER?

So many of us remember FF7's story beat-for-beat, so it'd be great for Square to still have some narrative surprises up its sleeves."

I tried to read between the lines to see if the author was joking, but I don't think he was...

Yes, kill him before he resolves his identity crisis. That's realism for you.
Maybe they could kill off Cait Sith instead.
Or maybe... the player can choosewhich character to send on their own to the Forgotten Capital!! Yes, you can choose who will die! Save Aerith; kill Tifa.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I really wish people would stop hoping that Aerith isn't going to die, her death is VITAL to the storyline! FFS let's go and have Zack stay alive while we're at it!

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I just keep hearing the faux triumphant scream of, "WAT A TWEEEST" from Robot Chicken's M. Night Shyamalan when seeing all the stupid written down there.

It was never Sephiroth! It was Genesis the whole time!!

Zack actually survived and thought he was Cloud - haircut and all!

Red XIII is actually being controlled by Reeve, and Cait Sith is the last of his kind until learning the truth of a secret hiding place of his people in a game in Gold Saucer!!

No.

Let the story be the story with things we haven't seen before, but don't just unhonge one of the game's central pillars because it's a story you assume everyone knows.

X :neo:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Yeah, while they're at it, they can make multiple endings for whichever character dies instead of Aerith. And if Cloud gets killed, just bring Zack back to life to continue the game. And then it takes away all meaning of the sadness of losing people you care about.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Or wot about
You beat the game, but then it is revealed that Cloud never left the test tube in the Shinra Mansion and the whole thing is a product of his dying brain? BOOM!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wonder if people are aware that it's still a remake, not a complete reboot/reimagining. :monster:
There's gonna be changes of course, but they're not gonna radically alter the story into a completely different one. It's still gonna be FFVII.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I just keep hearing the faux triumphant scream of, "WAT A TWEEEST" from Robot Chicken's M. Night Shyamalan when seeing all the stupid written down there.

It was never Sephiroth! It was Genesis the whole time!!

Zack actually survived and thought he was Cloud - haircut and all!

Red XIII is actually being controlled by Reeve, and Cait Sith is the last of his kind until learning the truth of a secret hiding place of his people in a game in Gold Saucer!!
THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

RedFFWolf

Donator
Regarding the "plot twist" - It's like that part in a conversation you try to sneak in unnoticed, but still get to say that you said it - you know, surround the controversial aspect with other well-rounded points and then somewhere near the middle-end just whisper that one bit really quickly and continue on.

But in all seriousness, you would have to change so much from the get-go (especially Cloud - I mean, it wasn't even worth mentioning him as an offhand example). You could go as far as keeping Cait Sith dead until Disc 2 maybe - where something like Cait Sith No. 2 saves Barret from the execution in Junon - even then I wouldn't like that anyway!

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Or wot about
You beat the game, but then it is revealed that Cloud never left the test tube in the Shinra Mansion and the whole thing is a product of his dying brain? BOOM!

Cloudception!

So basically Octo, you think the FF7 Remake will canonize the "Squall Is Dead" theory from FF8 but in a different game :monster:

Repeating what everybody has said - new twists are stupid unless they flow naturally within the compilation, and who in their right mind honestly believes Aeris won't die?

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Sounds more like he was struggling to find 7 defining aspects to change, so just threw that one in there, lol.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Or wot about

I've seen a fanfic use that as the basis of not-time travel where it was virtual reality, Zack was actually in it too and now they have to figure out how much of it was actually relevant to reality, especially since Hojo took notes on what happened in the simulation and took some precautions.

I've grown increasingly leery of IGN's content over the years. They seem to fail to account for some things I find pretty important.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I wonder if people are aware that it's still a remake, not a complete reboot/reimagining. There's gonna be changes of course, but they're not gonna radically alter the story into a completely different one. It's still gonna be FFVII.

I hate to disagree with you, but I still say it's a reboot/reimaging, because the slide in the trailer is completely different compared to the original game and in Crisis Core. The park is supposed to be in Sector 6, not in Sector 8.

It has a powerful feeling that it's a reboot(and the last FFVII game ever) when I first saw the preview a month or 2 ago. If they had made it similiar to Crisis Core and that they were adding in the other events from the Compilation into the remake, then sure, I could cope with that, and maybe add in a new secret ending with Genesis, or an epilogue to show cutscenes of OTWTAS as an epilogue if one completes the 100% gameplay after the "500 years later" epilogue, such as, Cloud and Tifa at Seventh Heaven in Edge, Barret on his quest for oil, Nanaki's fears, Yuffie's new goal, Rufus Shinra's survival, ect.

But upon seeing how different it looks, I instantly knew, it was a reboot. It's gonna be like another Sailor Moon all over again-Celebrates the 20th anniversary with no game/anime, then two/three years later, it finally comes, and it's completely different than what people are used to.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I hate to disagree with you, but I still say it's a reboot/reimaging, because the slide in the trailer is completely different compared to the original game and in Crisis Core. The park is supposed to be in Sector 6, not in Sector 8.

The slide is different because it's not even in the slums. It's a completely different place. It is not supposed to be *the* slide. The trailer is meant to invoke familiar imagery without straight up resorting to showing scenes from FFVII.
Considering they talked about not removing iconic stuff like Cloud's crossdressing and such and not wanting to make it unrecognizable from the original, I fail to see how this comes across as a complete reimagining.

It has a powerful feeling that it's a reboot(and the last FFVII game ever) when I first saw the preview a month or 2 ago. If they had made it similiar to Crisis Core

Crisis Core honestly failed to capture the atmosphere of Midgar and the slums in particular so it's a good thing they didn't make it similar. The trailer nailed the atmosphere.

and that they were adding in the other events from the Compilation into the remake

Why would they do that? None of that stuff was in the original and it's not relevant to the story either.

maybe add in a new secret ending with Genesis

Honestly doesn't belong in this game. Genesis isn't relevant to the story and the whole point of him getting taken by Deepground after CC is that this is an explanation for him not showing up during the events of FFVII. Resolving the DoC cliffhanger also does not belong in a remake because again, it's completely out of place with the story at hand.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
The slide is different because it's not even in the slums. It's a completely different place. It is not supposed to be *the* slide. The trailer is meant to invoke familiar imagery without straight up resorting to showing scenes from FFVII.
Considering they talked about not removing iconic stuff like Cloud's crossdressing and such and not wanting to make it unrecognizable from the original, I fail to see how this comes across as a complete reimagining.

I don't care so much about Cloud's crossdressing thing, that's not the main issue. They changed the design of the slide itself(changing to look like the giant seashell houses which was not meant to be shown until the party reaches the Forgotten Capital), it just looks wrong all together.

It has a powerful feeling that it's a reboot(and the last FFVII game ever) when I first saw the preview a month or 2 ago. If they had made it similiar to Crisis Core
Crisis Core honestly failed to capture the atmosphere of Midgar and the slums in particular so it's a good thing they didn't make it similar. The trailer nailed the atmosphere.[/QUOTE]

Only because they added in the glowing eyes in people due to mako and again, it was supposed to be well known in the Slums, and no sunshine, which the park is in the Slums itself. They made sure to have the park right like in the original, just higher modeled.

[/QUOTE]
and that they were adding in the other events from the Compilation into the remake
Why would they do that? None of that stuff was in the original and it's not relevant to the story either.
[/QUOTE]

Well, they did say that the guy who wrote the story in the original game is writing new story content. Plus, as Nomura said himself, it's not a simple remake. Not that I'm keeping my hopes up, but maybe he'll redo it by going through the written stories from BC, CC and Vincent's past of DOC with a few mentions that Cloud obviously forgot that would try to lead up to AC/C.

[/QUOTE]
maybe add in a new secret ending with Genesis
Honestly doesn't belong in this game. Genesis isn't relevant to the story and the whole point of him getting taken by Deepground after CC is that this is an explanation for him not showing up during the events of FFVII. Resolving the DoC cliffhanger also does not belong in a remake because again, it's completely out of place with the story at hand.[/QUOTE]

Which again, is probably why they're doing a new story contant all together. Like Nomura said, this is not gonna be a simple remake-for example, they not doing a remake of a game while keeping the same story of FF4 in HD graphics all over again, or what those guys did with Sailor Moon-Reboot the anime to match it up more of the manga unlike the original anime which held a more gentler genre thing happening 23 years ago.

Lex

Administrator
It seems to me like you've misunderstood what's been said over and over again regarding this remake. They've made a point of making it clear that in terms of story it's still going to be FFVII. The main story will not drastically change.

Nomura's comment about this not being a simple remake is in reference to the gameplay. He's reinforcing (and so does the trailer, see quote in my sig) that it's not a simple remake in the sense that it's not just exactly the same game with nicer graphics. It's going to be a different experience in terms of gameplay, but the important story points will be the same. Of this I'm absolutely certain.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
I just wanna say that when they said not a simple remake, I think they were referring to additions other than story, such as changes in gameplay, voice acting, re-translation etc. They wouldn't change the story but might add scenes or brief mentions that remain in line with it. We're not getting a completely different plot out of this just because they're touching up more than just the graphics.

Also, I was under the impression changes between the old and new Sailor Moon anime were a matter of no longer censoring things found in the manga, which is basically overwriting the old localization with a more accurate one rather than rewriting canon, which would be the manga. It's like how LO doesn't change how Nibelheim actually happened despite retelling it.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I just wanna say that when they said not a simple remake, I think they were referring to additions other than story, such as changes in gameplay, voice acting, re-translation etc. They wouldn't change the story but might add scenes or brief mentions that remain in line with it. We're not getting a completely different plot out of this just because they're touching up more than just the graphics.

Well, I know that the gameplay is gonna be changed, and of course there's gonna be voice acting, not to mention that they're finally fixing up all the translation mistakes that was seen in the original. I was just quiring that they might add and/or brief mentioning of some parts from the other three games-BC, CC and DOC-in the Compilation to make more sense and that it could lead up to the AC/C movie.

Also, I was under the impression changes between the old and new Sailor Moon anime were a matter of no longer censoring things found in the manga, which is basically overwriting the old localization with a more accurate one rather than rewriting canon, which would be the manga. It's like how LO doesn't change how Nibelheim actually happened despite retelling it.

The original anime of Sailor Moon doesn't quite follow up to the manga as the new anime obviously does now. For example, Cosmos. She never appeared in the original anime as she did in the manga and probably will show up in the Sailor Stars season of Sailor Moon Crystal(or whatever else they'll name it now that Sailor Moon Crystal finished two weeks ago).

The new anime is okay and it is kinda growing on me, but I still prefer the original anime, especially how that Italian artist Marco Albiero has been doing art of the original anime of Sailor Moon with new stances and look like the original anime is continuing.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
The original anime was made in a time when pretty much all the anime that made it to the US was censored pretty severely, to the point where there's one that was made 3 times or so under different names with varying degrees of censorship. The most heavily censored of them had to insert filler because they cut out so much. I forget the names but the characters were dressed in bird themed space suits. There's a video somewhere that shows the original japanese version of a death scene and then how badly it got butchered in the localization to avoid mentioning the characters died.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
The original anime was made in a time when pretty much all the anime that made it to the US was censored pretty severely, to the point where there's one that was made 3 times or so under different names with varying degrees of censorship. The most heavily censored of them had to insert filler because they cut out so much. I forget the names but the characters were dressed in bird themed space suits. There's a video somewhere that shows the original japanese version of a death scene and then how badly it got butchered in the localization to avoid mentioning the characters died.

Oh I know that. I have the first English Dub version of the original anime of Sailor Moon seasons 1 and 2 and all three movies and I have seen the uncut version of the Japanese version. The original anime came out in Japan in the same year as both Disney's Aladdin hit theatres and both were came out in the same year that I was born.

I didn't know about Sailor Moon until the English Dub was broadcasted on TV when was like...uh, about eleven years old or something along the lines with my sister.

Anyway, getting off topic. This is Final Fantasy VII remake we're talking about, not Sailor Moon, right?

I don't get out Auron could be in the remake or how the remake itself could have us seeing FFX-3. (sarcastically) Maybe they're finally going to do the connection of FFX and FFVII worlds after the Remake comes out.(end of sarcasm). My hopes for the remake is that they'll add in info from the Compilation, and have the large majority of the cast from the Compilation to return.

I mean, I figured that Quinton Flynn is gonna reprise his role as Lea/Axel in the upcoming KH3...or at least I'm hoping he will.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Magenta and I've seen more in other threads where I discussed things with someone with the same text color or made very long posts.

Top Bottom