• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Interviews with Nomura

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Nomura said:
we're hoping that announcing the remake of Final Fantasy 7, it'll give a boost to people wanting to buy this current generation of console.

I don't know for you guys, but personnally, that definitely makes me put on hold any thought of buying the console I had up until now. I definitely want to see what they'll propose for the special FFVII edition now!

Can't wait to see the delicious sight of Cloud in a dress in glorious HD? "Please look forward to it," said Nomura as the interview came to a close.

Y E S!!!!

Thanks for sharing those interviews!

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/17/final-fantasy-vii-remake-interview-e3-2015/

The trailer seemed pretty serious in tone. Will the occasional humor the original game carry through?

TN: The comedy or the lighthearted parts -- I like those. I don't want to change it that much. But we can't have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn. That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there. But if we took away parts like the lighter moments of the game, then it would no longer be FFVII.

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Cloud in a dress in HD...

Hahahahaha.... they don't care for most things.

Speaking of the cloud cross-dressing scene, with the scene of transgendered people being so different from the early 90s, I wonder how they're going to handle Big Bro. He was played for laughs and kind of a sleazy character, but with him being the only transgendered character in the entire game I wonder if they're going to alter that...

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
My thoughts exactly, Jason. I almost don't want them to have the scene with Cloud in a dress for that very reason. I have always kind of felt like it does poke fun at the trans community. Can something like that be handled with class?

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
My thoughts exactly, Jason. I almost don't want them to have the scene with Cloud in a dress for that very reason. I have always kind of felt like it does poke fun at the trans community. Can something like that be handled with class?

If Big Bro's character is tweaked, I'd argue it can be. As long as they don't make Big Bro a total sleazeball or make a huge deal about her gender (or even playing it for laughs, apart from perhaps Cloud's reaction). There is, of course, the other option of doing the cross-dressing scene without a transgender character and then it just becomes poking fun at fishy drag, which is not as bad.

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
I don't see why not. I think the wall market section in the new game will have loads of moments where the players are ready to laugh/cringe but we'll get surprises/nods to the original like cloud opening a door to a load of guys in a hot tub only to shut it again with "not interested" as he carries on through the building. I wouldn't mind having the option to get him in midnight mauve and a pink wig for a laugh either (dlc perhaps?)

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I wouldn't mind having the option to get him in midnight mauve and a pink wig for a laugh either (dlc perhaps?)

This would be followed by the obligatory Final Fantasy lampshading of self-references by having Aeris go:

Aeris: Hmm, Cloud you look so... familiar.
Cloud: What? You mean it's not a convincing disguise.
Aeris: Oh... no not like that... never mind.

Sublime

Gravitas? What gravitas?
I don't think transgender people have changed at all, rather the perception and acceptance of them.

While the original game placed Big Bro there for a bit of humour which these days might be seen as inappropriate, it doesn't mean to say Big Bro can't still be in the remake.

The roles would have to change slightly but ultimately I think it could work out even better. There are plenty of high profile transgender people in real life and in film and television so there's no reason why there shouldn't also be one in a game. As long as they're not shedding the character in a negative light I believe it would actually be hugely appreciated as it raises awareness of that whole community.

Now that I think about it, I would be hugely annoyed if they did remove Big Bro. Especially seeing as Nomura has already implied that Cloud will still be dabbling in a little cross-dressing.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The humor from that sequence comes primarily from Cloud's discomfort.

What did Big Bro even do besides punch the dude you beat in squats across the room?

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
The humor from that sequence comes primarily from Cloud's discomfort.

What did Big Bro even do besides punch the dude you beat in squats across the room?

"Are you... the beautiful Bro?"

NPC-ffvii-woman3.png

Fun fact: The character model for Big Bro is just a generic female NPC model. It was most likely just to save space, but maybe they were more accepting of trans people than we thought...

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
I would argue that Big Bro was supposed to be trans. They could have just as easily used a generic male NPC model.

Oh I have no doubt the implication was she was transgendered. Why else would she have the hookup on drag supplies (again in 1990s view of what transgendered people were which was not really that accurate)?

My argument was that instead of making a unique "man looks like woman" NPC they made just a woman NPC and said "hey, she's a she." Again I'm probably overthinking it.

Sublime

Gravitas? What gravitas?
I've just read the original dialogue with Big Bro again. I don't find anything sleazy about it at all.

I'm still not sure if s/he is an actual transexual or just a man who likes to cross-dress but having read the dialogue again I don't feel that there was any fun being poked at either. I think Square just thought it would be an interesting and somewhat fun addition to Wall Street which kind of demonstrated the wide variety of people that lived there.

And like what's already been said, the fun was really at Cloud's expense.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
"You should go over to the gym, there are a lot of people like you there."

"'Like you?' Aeris, what did you tell him?"

"Does it matter? Let's go."

Again, the humor is from Cloud being WAY out of his element. I never gathered that anything was poking fun AT these characters, just at Cloud's discomfort. The most ridiculous thing about Mukki isn't that he's gay, it's that he comes on so strong and Cloud doesn't know how to deal with it.

Top Bottom