Is Midgar the greatest fictional city ever?

We should have a poll, but first we need to collect your suggestions for alternative greatest fictional cities. My very short list includes

Gotham City (or is that just another name for NYC? I don't know anything about Batman)
Ankh-Morpork
Minas Tirith

What's your favourite fictional city, and why?

Just to make it clear, please don't nominate any other towns from the FFVII compilation, though other cities from the series are fair game. And by city I mean an economic powerhouse/seat of government.

Last edited:

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I'm honestly not sure what my favorite fictional city is since I've seen so many I've lost count since they all look so either really cool or really beautiful.

If both Midgar and the Forgotten City were real, I'd love to explore those places, and Wutai.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It looks amazing..

Dunno if I'd want to live there. Since literally the worst things possible happen there.

It's like Metropolis in DC. Worst place possibly to live. Income inequality aside you're likely to literally have the sky fall on you, the plate fall on you, the world end above you, or a huge monster heralding returning all life to the planet, above you.

Yeah, no thanks.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
I think you could say that about all fictional cities though -- there's always some danger happening because some RPG protagonist decided they wanna start up shit like saving the world and throw hands with the local jackass in your town, and that includes a lot of bad shit happening. :monster:

But if we're limiting our options to FFVII, then maybe....Kalm. It seems nice and calm, pun intended. but Midgar is something that feels like home and all that, probably with its shitty transportation system.

(Other fictional cities not FF: Lumiose City, Ecruteak City, (Pokemon) Grand Chokmah (Tales of the Abyss), Halure (Tales of Vesperia) all seem really nice places to live in.)

I would rather this wasn't a poll about which is our favourite place in FFVII. We've had those before. This is poll for the greatest fictional cities throughout all media.

Reactions: Ite

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Well, maybe I can give out at least some of the fictional places that are so cool I'd really love to see and explore if they were real.

FFVII: Midgar, Costa Del Sol, Wutai(and not just the tourist attractions. I'd also like to see Da Chao Mountain), the Forgotten City and Banora.

Non-FFVII: Crystal Tokyo(Sailor Moon first Anime), Destiny Islands, Twilight Town, Disney Town(and Disney World in real life since I've never been and I really want to), Radiant Garden, Daybreak Town and Scala Ad Caleum(Kingdom Hearts series), Lumoise City, Mirror Cave, the Alola Region, Rustboro City, Pallet Town and Sandgem Town(Pokemon-both Anime and games), Macalania Woods, Zanarkand, Besaid Island and the Farplane(FFX), Balamb Garden/Town(FFVIII), and Alexandria(FFIX).

Those places are what I really like.

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
The Port City of Warjilis, in FF Tactics. It's on the southern coast, so nice and warm, a thriving port so plenty of colourful characters coming in and out, a nice bit of hustle and bustle and if it all gets too much the open sea beckons :monster: I also just love the name.

Angel Grove from Power Rangers would be pretty cool to live in, imagine the amount of time off work you'd get cause a giant monster fell into the office building while fighting Power Rangers in a big mecha dragon : monster:

Philco

Pro Adventurer
FFIX: Lindblum

Still not entirely sure why there's a gate into the city for the airships when surely they can just fly up and round? But anyway, love how the city has basically been built into the mountain. With those huge towers and the many different layers to the city you can imagine how it would have been built up over time. Definitely seems like the kind of place where it would be easy to get lost but fun to explore, just as you do in-game. It's got the quaint cobbled streets, market stalls and of course every so often they even let monsters loose in the city, just for funsies :monster:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, I feel obligated to represent my other favorite Final Fantasy here.

Because XIII-2's post-Coccoon metropolis of Academia in year 4XX AF is one of the biggest, brightest, and most upliftingly advanced cities in Final Fantasy. A techno-utopia of advanced technology and modern culture that's thriving on the once inhospitable and dangerous surface of Pulse. A true example of a shining future born from Hope (literally) and humanity striving to create their own future, untethered by gods.

...Too bad it was completely annihilated by the Unseen Chaos and collapse of the entire universe's timeline.

At least you tried, humanity.

InterfaceLeader

Pro Adventurer
I am going to go with Bingtown. Not sure if it counts as a city or a city-state though. Either way, it's cool, and you can buy anything.

(Robin Hobb, Liveship Traders)

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Great idea

Coruscant from Star Wars (a city covering a whole planet)
Ravnica from Magic: The Gathering (a city covering a whole demiplane)
Waterdeep from the Forgotten Realms (the ultimate city-state archetype)
Neo Tokyo from Akira
Tokyo-3 from Neon Genesis Evanglion

Even on a non-FFVII forum I would still nominate Midgar. :3

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Waterdeep from D&D's Forgotten Realms setting.
The Citadel from Mass Effect
The Kingdom of Zeal
Think of more later, feel like I'm forgetting some. Good topic!

Are the cities from GTA fictional enough?

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I'm gonna say they have to be cities that don't exist on Earth
Gotham started out as New york (it was a nickname of New York way back when), it became a fictional counterpart and New York started to exist in the DC comics again later on. Los Santos and the like are fictional counterparts that definitely displace real cities and are based on them.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
Atlantis has always sounded neat to me. I'm not sure if it's my favorite city, but it would be cool to see a Final Fantasy game based off of it.

Reactions: LNK
Top Bottom