is there no Twin Peaks thread?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I searched for one but couldn't find one! I just finished going through the series with my significant other, including the new season and Fire Walk with Me. Does anyone have any good input/analysis on the finale?

I have a lot of thoughts, but was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on the series as a whole, how it holds up with David Lynch's other work, do you want more Twin Peaks, etc.? I personally think it's over, but a continuation would not be unwelcome. Discuss!

Oh man, I haven't been able to shake thinking about the new season's ending. I don't have any coherent ideas about it, but the emotional impact of it was something else.

I really liked s3 for the most part.
I thought the ending was good, if pretty emotionally devastating (not to mention troll-tastic for people who were expecting closure after s2), the only thing I don't like is the idea that it replaces FWWM as the true ending, especially because that's the only TP ending that's even vaguely cathartic (and of course even then, Cooper's still trapped and Laura's still dead and trapped). Since it's not like Lynch cares about there being one correct interpretation, I'm just gonna imagine that it doesn't replace FWWM's ending. :monster:
I'd always welcome more Twin Peaks (if Lynch and Frost are in control of it), but I think this was a good way to end it, I've heard Frost's new book ties up some more things and gives some more definite answers to things s3 left hanging, but I'm not really so much into the all the lore and such. I haven't read any of the tie-in stuff, but The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer sounds the most interesting to me.

I haven't watched the original series since I first saw it a few years ago. I wanted to re-watch it before the new season, but didn't get around to it. I was kind of neutral on FWWM when I first watched it (I liked the focus on Laura but still missed some of the other characters), but I re-watched it after the new season ended and thought it was fantastic and it's my favorite part of the series now (I haven't seen The Missing Pieces yet, but I'm planning on watching it soon). I can see why people hated it when it first came out (especially if they were expecting answers from it), but I think focusing on Laura was the right choice - TP is Laura's story, and I think the movie adds a lot to the series.

I haven't seen much of Lynch's other work yet, just Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Oh man, I haven't been able to shake thinking about the new season's ending. I don't have any coherent ideas about it, but the emotional impact of it was something else.

I really liked s3 for the most part.
I thought the ending was good, if pretty emotionally devastating (not to mention troll-tastic for people who were expecting closure after s2), the only thing I don't like is the idea that it replaces FWWM as the true ending, especially because that's the only TP ending that's even vaguely cathartic (and of course even then, Cooper's still trapped and Laura's still dead and trapped). Since it's not like Lynch cares about there being one correct interpretation, I'm just gonna imagine that it doesn't replace FWWM's ending. :monster:
I'd always welcome more Twin Peaks (if Lynch and Frost are in control of it), but I think this was a good way to end it, I've heard Frost's new book ties up some more things and gives some more definite answers to things s3 left hanging, but I'm not really so much into the all the lore and such. I haven't read any of the tie-in stuff, but The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer sounds the most interesting to me.

I haven't watched the original series since I first saw it a few years ago. I wanted to re-watch it before the new season, but didn't get around to it. I was kind of neutral on FWWM when I first watched it (I liked the focus on Laura but still missed some of the other characters), but I re-watched it after the new season ended and thought it was fantastic and it's my favorite part of the series now (I haven't seen The Missing Pieces yet, but I'm planning on watching it soon). I can see why people hated it when it first came out (especially if they were expecting answers from it), but I think focusing on Laura was the right choice - TP is Laura's story, and I think the movie adds a lot to the series.

I haven't seen much of Lynch's other work yet, just Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.

I liked the ending of the show than most of anything else. I know it's a bit of a lazy/cheap comparison, but it really reminded me of The End of Evangelion. I really like the feeling of being super confused, but also aware of how the cycle of suffering will still continue... That pretty much surmises how I took it. Cooper and Laura didn't achieve anything better, but Cooper will never stop trying to save Laura's soul.

I honestly thought FWWM is the best piece of Twin Peaks media. The second half of season 2 really did nothing for me, so FWWM was a pleasant surprise by comparison. The story of Laura Palmer is what really the part that won me over, so it was really difficult for me to keep interested after it was (mostly) resolved.

I really like the feel of The Return too, I just never enjoyed anything the way I enjoyed the movie. The only way I felt a little cheated by the ending is that it made a lot of the viewing seem really pointless. I never really cared to keep track of a lot of the subplots/interpersonal relationships and stuff. It just never interested me and I found it hard to get through. Which makes me think a lot of the bonus material probably isn't for me either. I think the slow pace of it really helps sell the more dramatic parts, like FWWM and the ending.

I'm a huge fan of Lynch's work, though I haven't seen everything of his. I would say I'm more of a Lynch fan than a Twin Peaks fan, that's for sure. Eraserhead is probably my actual favourite movies of his that I've seen, as well as one of my favourite movies period.

I liked the ending of the show than most of anything else. I know it's a bit of a lazy/cheap comparison, but it really reminded me of The End of Evangelion. I really like the feeling of being super confused, but also aware of how the cycle of suffering will still continue... That pretty much surmises how I took it. Cooper and Laura didn't achieve anything better, but Cooper will never stop trying to save Laura's soul.

I honestly thought FWWM is the best piece of Twin Peaks media. The second half of season 2 really did nothing for me, so FWWM was a pleasant surprise by comparison. The story of Laura Palmer is what really the part that won me over, so it was really difficult for me to keep interested after it was (mostly) resolved.

I really like the feel of The Return too, I just never enjoyed anything the way I enjoyed the movie. The only way I felt a little cheated by the ending is that it made a lot of the viewing seem really pointless. I never really cared to keep track of a lot of the subplots/interpersonal relationships and stuff. It just never interested me and I found it hard to get through. Which makes me think a lot of the bonus material probably isn't for me either. I think the slow pace of it really helps sell the more dramatic parts, like FWWM and the ending.

I'm a huge fan of Lynch's work, though I haven't seen everything of his. I would say I'm more of a Lynch fan than a Twin Peaks fan, that's for sure. Eraserhead is probably my actual favourite movies of his that I've seen, as well as one of my favourite movies period.

The ending reminded me of EoE, as well (and kind of Rebuild what with the looping and never ending suffering; on the subject of anime, Twin Peaks as a whole and Revolutionary Girl Utena really strike me as similar, after a fashion). That's well put. Since duality is a major element, I also got the feeling that it tied back into the constant struggle between good and evil somehow.

I agree about FWWM and about season 2 - that season honestly just gets really bad after the reveal and Laura’s death no longer anchors the show. I can't see being able to sit through those episodes again on a re-watch, especially not after having seen FWWM and The Return. I thought the last episode was a great return to form, though - absolutely wild that it aired on mainstream TV.

Yeah, there were a lot of subplots that didn't really go anywhere. I was a bit surprised Audrey didn’t get more screen time; that would’ve probably bothered me when I first watched the series, but now I only really care about Laura :monster: . My biggest issue with The Return was how silly the fight with BOB and green glove dude was in episode 17, particularly after watching FWWM, and how the movie treats BOB, it was almost like offensively dumb. I’m not too keen on the idea of Sarah Palmer being possessed by some eldritch monstrosity the whole time (prior to Laura’s death), either. Also, as good as Laura Dern is, I didn't really care about Diane all that much, killer nail polish/outfit coordination, though, and the bit before the tulpa reveal was cool. I thought it had a lot of good moments, though, I really enjoyed the things like all the creepy stuff with Sarah Palmer, when Audrey's plot takes a turn for the unsettling, Laura's theme kicking in a few episodes in, Janey-E telling off the loan sharks, the Mitchum Bros, and the small things like the FBI having framed pictures of Kafka and the atomic bomb. I think, besides the surrealism, one of the things sets the original series apart from other shows - and the shows that are typically said to be "like Twin Peaks" - is its eccentric humor and how it managed to switch between those moments, melodrama, and genuine horror (except, of course, in the bad part of season 2, where you just get dumb shit like doorknob Josie), and I was pleased that season 3 had sort of the same kind of thing going on.

Lynch seems like a really interesting guy. I think Showtime had The Art Life up for streaming and I was tempted to watch it when I was subscribing, but I figured I’d probably get more out of it after watching more of his films.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
My biggest issue with The Return was how silly the fight with BOB and green glove dude was in episode 17, particularly after watching FWWM, and how the movie treats BOB, it was almost like offensively dumb.

AGREED omg as soon as that happened I yelled

hmqhz8tdyphz.jpg

ONE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH

I mean like I said, I did like the ending overall, but in a lot of ways felt cheated. I thought it was hilarious that it was Lucy of all people to finally shoot down Bob!Cooper. On the other hand, the British Saitama was a lil too out there for me.

I think, besides the surrealism, one of the things sets the original series apart from other shows - and the shows that are typically said to be "like Twin Peaks" - is its eccentric humor and how it managed to switch between those moments, melodrama, and genuine horror (except, of course, in the bad part of season 2, where you just get dumb shit like doorknob Josie), and I was pleased that season 3 had sort of the same kind of thing going on.

The humour is what makes it for me. When I first started watching it, I had NO idea that it was partially a comedy. It actually took me a while to clue into the fact that I was supposed to be laughing :wacky:

Lynch seems like a really interesting guy. I think Showtime had The Art Life up for streaming and I was tempted to watch it when I was subscribing, but I figured I’d probably get more out of it after watching more of his films.

I've been meaning to see that too! Please post how it is if you end up watching it any time soon. As far as movies go, I would definitely recommend Eraserhead as the first thing to watch. The Robert Crumb documentary he produced is also really interesting if you're at all interested in Fritz the Cat or old Weirdo comics. Wild at Heart is probably the next on my to-watch list, since it seems to be his most critically acclaimed after Mulholland Drive.

I just recently finished FF7R and it got me thinking about Twin Peaks S3 lol, what with both being beloved '90s works with revivals that have... distinctive endings :monster: . Was searching to see if there were any memes about the two and came across this (major spoilers for FFVII, FF7R, and TP, obviously): Twin Peaks & Final Fantasy VII: “We’re Not Gonna Talk About Jenova” and thought it was pretty interesting. The easter egg the article talks about actually seems distinctive enough to be legit.

GW7fxd7.jpg

It’s quite thorough about other similarities, too. It’s clearly not all necessarily intentional (Jenova obviously predates what TP S3 did with Judy), but it’s fun to read about if you’re familiar with both series. What really gets me is
those shots of the highways that occur right before things get REALLY wild. :P

Oh - I also found out that Twin Peaks was Kitase’s favorite TV show in '97.
VICE: Did you have a favorite TV show? What made it so interesting?

Kitase: This might be a bit old even for the time, having come out in 1990, but Twin Peaks was my favorite. I was captivated by David Lynch’s peculiar world filled with mystery.

Not terribly surprising, as Twin Peaks was very popular in Japan in the ‘90s, but I’ve always wondered if there was any bit of direct influence on FFVII.

Last edited:
Top Bottom