Is this true? Could Part 2 come much later than we expected?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I don't know. That's the first I've heard anyone so much as mention the next numbered title. I feel like that would have been a bigger story if there were confirmation that they were working on XVI, so color me dubious.

If it were true, I would wonder what happened to their teams? At one point we were presumably working on XV, KH3, VIIR, and XIV stuff. Do they really only have two teams now? (XIV and Other) That would seem...odd.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
XV team is now Luminous Studio, developing next gen IP, KH3 team I believe is on 7R now (which makes sense, since they were the first in the company to use Unreal Engine), and then there is 14's team. So three I guess, not including wholly owned subsidiaries or their Western branches.

Parrrno

Lv. 1 Adventurer
XV team is now Luminous Studio, developing next gen IP

This. It's already confirmed that luminous productions, is working on AAA-game and it is very surely gonna be next mainline Final Fantasy game, since ff15 was developed on luminous engine. There's no reason to delay part 2 of the remake nor next mainline game if they have different teams for those games anyway.

just fyi, luminous productions recently released this tech demo made with luminous engine. It showcases the engine's ray tracing abilities. Both next gen consoles PS5 and Xbox Scarlet (project name) are confirmed to have real-time ray tracing abilities built in so they may have been working on ps5/xbs game from early 2018 so maybe we get new mainline FF sooner than we think. Not that Square-Enix develops their games for like 6-10 years nowadays so it's more likely to come out in 2024-2028

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
Well I dunno if they will be developing XVI necessarily. I feel like they'll be doing more experimental stuff with them (rather than waste development time with the next FF like they did with XIII and the White Engine). I honestly think Unreal is going to be the go to for their main franchises. At least and unless Luminous Engine somehow evolves past Unreal.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
They’ve said that 7R is being treated as the next mainline title, so I don’t think XVI will start in earnest until 7R is out.... but they announced 7R a few months before XV came out so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
This. It's already confirmed that luminous productions, is working on AAA-game and it is very surely gonna be next mainline Final Fantasy game, since ff15 was developed on luminous engine. There's no reason to delay part 2 of the remake nor next mainline game if they have different teams for those games anyway.
Luminous Productions is definitely NOT working on FFXVI as stated by Square Enix themselves:
Among your ongoing projects, would you say the largest production would be the development of the new AAA-scale game that will be a brand new IP?

Aramaki: Yes. The team with the largest number of staff assigned is the development of the next-generation AAA-scale game title for a brand new IP. As we all know, Square Enix has a number of popular titles under their belt like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest; Luminous Productions’ mission is to develop a new title that’s on the same playing field as those titles. Our objective is to deliver our audience a completely new IP that is marketable worldwide.
Source: https://www.luminous-productions.com/news/02/

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I thought the Luminous Productions left not long after Tabata did and were going to be part of his own gaming development company or whatever it was.

Top Bottom