• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

It's been almost ten years since a new numbered title was announced

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Was XII really that much of a departure from it, though?

It was more of a Mediterranean setting, actually. Lots of deserts and such. I read a while back about how some of the devs actually went over to those parts of the world to research that area so they would be able to better develop XII's setting like they wanted.

Lex

Administrator
So we just gonna pretend FFXIV isn't one of the most successful MMORPGs with an in-depth story and doesn't count as a main FF now? :mon:

It's definitely a Final Fantasy in a medieval type setting.

This! We do all have a tendency to discount or be annoyed at the FF MMO's for being MMO's don't we? But FFXIV has one of the best "classic" FF stories ever told IMO, Heavensward and Shadowbringers in particular.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I love XIV, but I find myself often not counting it (or XI which supposedly also had a pretty good story) as part of the main series myself.

I think it's a question of the accessibility, as it demands a far higher financial and especially time commitment to all the single player ones. That said, there's no denying that they have been putting tons of resources into a "medieval" Final Fantasy for the last 10 years.

Jairus

The MMOs are definitely main series quality. They aren't traditional entries, of course, but neither is XV.

I meant single player, not MMO. Sorry for the misunderstanding. We haven't had a single-player main numbered FF in that setting since FFIX.

Jairus

I'd rather they come up with a unique setting. It's fantasy, your imagination is your limit. Don't know why to so many it keeps coming back to vaguely European medieval settings.
Give me something I didn't know I wanted until I saw it.

As I said before, there are only so many possible settings that exist, only so many kinds of stories that can be told. And it's been so long since we've had a single-player main numbered FF in the classic early FF-style setting that it won't feel overused if XVI goes that way.

Jairus

I don't think that argument holds much water when the vast majority of possible settings hasn't even been tapped yet.

How do you know? You say that, but you don't list those settings. And they're not going to use one that doesn't have at least some semblance of believability to it, either. There are only so many kinds of physical environments in our world, only so many different periods of history, and some just work better than others for the kinds of stories FF tells.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'm still struggling with the idea that XII doesn't count as medieval fantasy as IX does, lol. It's got wood elves (in the form of bunnies) speaking with Icelandic accents. You've got the Rozarrians as Spain, several British dialects... If anything it's a little MORE 'traditional' fantasy than IX.

Jairus

I'm still struggling with the idea that XII doesn't count as medieval fantasy as IX does, lol. It's got wood elves (in the form of bunnies) speaking with Icelandic accents. You've got the Rozarrians as Spain, several British dialects... If anything it's a little MORE 'traditional' fantasy than IX.

IDK, I guess because much of it takes place in deserts and other Mediterranean-style areas, and the clothing is more that style, too. But even XII is two console generations ago now, almost three if you count the PS5. So just something more current and single-player. Don't you want to see a classic era-style single-player FF with FF7 Remake-level visuals, audio, and everything else? Just once?

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
Wow, I wasn't into Final Fantasy back in 2006, so it's crazy to think that XV (technically Versus XIII) was first announced over ten years ago. According to what I've found online, FFXIV was released in 2010. So, yes, you're right; it has been around ten years. :O

I wonder when SE will announce FFXVI. They had shown us that tech demo for the Luminous Engine, Agni's Philosophy, which seemed fairly interesting. It makes me think about what direction they will consider for the next game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think people always put way too much weight into that tech demo. I think it was just that, a tech demo. Even if it had been connected to a real concept, it was so long ago they'd likely have moved on anyway.

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan
Yeah, I agree with you. It does seem like it was only a tech demo. I just thought it wouldn't be a bad concept to go with if it was made into a game.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Oh wow, in the larger image there's actually a tiny (main?) character on the lower left side, I think. I also spot a sword and a cute flying dragon.

I've heard a lot of good things about Yoshida, though I've never played FFXIV myself. Here's hoping this really turns out to be FFXVI and that it'll be the first FF not to go in development hell in a looong time.

Ghost X

Whether the game turns out to be good or not, I can't deny that I always find the pre-release stage of things still very exciting. The imagination runs wild at the possibilities. So the guy in charge of FFXIV, which is apparently good now (???), is in charge of this too? That helps fuel the fire also :mon:.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I think the bigger question on if Yoshida is doing FFXVI is that he's currently the producer of FFXIV. So if he's in charge of the next numbered FF title (which has not been confirmed, btw), does that mean he'd stop down from FFXIV or not? I have a hard time seeing him doing both.

Top Bottom