It's been almost ten years since a new numbered title was announced

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Being the head of Business Unit does not necesarilly mean being in charge on of the projects themselves. For instance, Yoshinori Kitase is the head of Busines Unit 1, FF7R, but he only works as the producer for the Remake while Nomura and Hamaguchi works as directors.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I've been thinking about this thread again lately and wondering whether this year is the year we'll get an FFXVI reveal.

I kinda also want to clarify the point I wanted to make when I created this thread because it wasn't "Square Enix barely released any games in the meantime" or to discount the quality of the non-flagship titles as such.

Rather, it's about missing the excitement that comes with an announcement or trailer that introduces you to something you're not familiar with. Seeing a new big budget Final Fantasy game with an entirely new world and characters. I have been missing that the last couple of years.

The console FF announcements after XIV's reveal were sequels to XIII, a rebranding of Versus XIII, HD Remasters, a crossover arcade fighting game (Dissidia), a crossover chibi spinoff (WoFF), and of course - one heck of a Remake.
Every major FF announcement after 2009 basically features familiar characters or worlds in some fashion or another.

Basically, the last couple of years of FF announcements focused on getting you excited about the familiar - delving back into worlds you already know and love and all that.

And to clarify - I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing! After all, a remake of a 23 year old game has me more excited than anything.

But the point is, I do also miss that other type of excitement. The excitement of the unknown. The anticipation of an entirely new FF game on the horizon! Something that doesn't feature Lightning, Noctis or Cloud in some fashion.
And the last time that happened...yeah, it's been a hot minute is all I'm saying and my body is ready for them to drop FFXVI inbetween Remake parts 1 and 2!
It feels overdue at this point in my humble opinion.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
I was thinking about this the other day, actually. I follow a FF page on Facebook and when news about that new FFXV mobile game was posted, I noticed that most people’s sentiment could be summarized in “Can we please move on?”

It reminded me of all those years where everything SE released seemed to include Lightening and FFXIII in some capacity, or at least that was the general impression. I didn’t play the FFXIII saga and I can’t speak for its quality, but I think people might have been more benevolent towards it as a whole if they hadn’t be stuck with it for so long.

I really hope they’re wise enough to realize that 1) the Remake mustn’t overstay its welcome and 2) one of the exciting things about FF as a franchise is that they’re all so different and even if you don’t love one entry, chances are you’ll be luckier with the next title. I don’t want people to become sick of FFVII either :(

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I was thinking about this the other day, actually. I follow a FF page on Facebook and when news about that new FFXV mobile game was posted, I noticed that most people’s sentiment could be summarized in “Can we please move on?”

It reminded me of all those years where everything SE released seemed to include Lightening and FFXIII in some capacity, or at least that was the general impression. I didn’t play the FFXIII saga and I can’t speak for its quality, but I think people might have been more benevolent towards it as a whole if they hadn’t be stuck with it for so long.

I really hope they’re wise enough to realize that 1) the Remake mustn’t overstay its welcome and 2) one of the exciting things about FF as a franchise is that they’re all so different and even if you don’t love one entry, chances are you’ll be luckier with the next title. I don’t want people to become sick of FFVII either :(

People feel like that regarding XV because they cancelled extra content which would have offered the True Ending that the game deserved. With XV they rushed the release and gamers ended up with a beta version, then came the patches, and only those who waited for the Royal Edition (me included) could enjoy the full game from the first playthrough. Then they promised the Dawn of the Future expansion and in the end we only had Episode Ardyn, with the other episodes released in written format. Even if they were developing that movile game outside SE, it feels like adding insult to injury. My personal stance is that, instead of keeping on with a cash cow (that I won't throw a single coin to), why not properly finishing the story and letting us kick the real villain's ass?

Volvatta

Sincerity-Genuinity & Comedy
AKA
Crazy-Sane
Along with not having a main series numbered entry announced (technically) for this many years - comes the greatly anticipated FFVIIR as something to fill in the time, which in all honesty people have been yearning for so it's not wieghing on peoples minds as much. Although i frequently look up news for XVI I know there is still something on the way.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
People feel like that regarding XV because they cancelled extra content which would have offered the True Ending that the game deserved. With XV they rushed the release and gamers ended up with a beta version, then came the patches, and only those who waited for the Royal Edition (me included) could enjoy the full game from the first playthrough. Then they promised the Dawn of the Future expansion and in the end we only had Episode Ardyn, with the other episodes released in written format. Even if they were developing that movile game outside SE, it feels like adding insult to injury. My personal stance is that, instead of keeping on with a cash cow (that I won't throw a single coin to), why not properly finishing the story and letting us kick the real villain's ass?
I actually really liked the ending of 15! From what I first heard about that mobile game, it seems pretty cool. I would definitely buy it, if it was released for ps4

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
I actually really liked the ending of 15! From what I first heard about that mobile game, it seems pretty cool. I would definitely buy it, if it was released for ps4

Don't get me wrong. The ending was good from a narrative standpoint. It was powerful and the logical outcome. But I'm a hopeless idealist and I wanted an even better ending, where the real culprit of everything that happened got what he deserved :monster:

Top Bottom