Jenova - Info, Theories and Future Influence on the Compilation

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
Ok, well I remember that on ACF there was a good thread or two about Jenova, and considering I'm just so intruiged by the character I though its about time to get a new discussion going concerning theories, stringing together the facts and thoughts about if she'll have any influence on the future compilation titles (More specificaly whatever comes after Dirge).

So pretty much I'm starting with my speculations about her being a conscious being, who even tho is driven by instict to destroy can think for herself, and also that the form in the tank at Nibelheim is (minus the mutations) her true form.

First about her consciousness, now I recall many people believing Jenova is nothing more than a virus or mindless being, however her behaviour in the past and statements about being highly intelligent would state otherwise.

Take for example when she arrived on Gaia, she was able to trick the Cetra into beleiving she was their friend, then exploited their emotional weaknesses by portaying the image of lost loved ones then infecting them with a virus which mutated them into monsters.

Now generaly, this type of behaviour isn't the kind of thing you'd see animals doing on the discovery channnel, and certainly involves a level of manipulation beyond a creature that jut runs off instincts, so one must assume that all of the attorcities committed against the cetra were thought up and planned out by an active conciousness inside Jenova's head and she knew perfectly well what she was doing (and obviously didn't care).

But now skip ahead to present times and she's a braindead corpse since whatever the cetra did to seal her away must have taken out her conciousness (wether beign supressed or separated from her body) leaving behind an empty shell full of Jenova cells. Which now leads me to my point about her form.

The being in the tank at Nibelheim reactor is that of a beautiful woman with silver hair and green cat eyes (cept one is glowing red for reasons unknown). Now, I've heard many theories about this such as it being a form she mimiced at some point or something, however I firmly believe what we are seeing is the face of Jenova herself. The main point of reasoning is Sephiroth, who reatins a strong resemblance to this form meaning that it's hard coded into Jenova's genetic code, which I doubt would happen with just some mimiced form. However I do beleive that the various mutations on her body (tentacles, 'wings', boob eye etc.) are not part of her true form and simply the result of the cells running rampart in her body as there is no longer a strong will present within to control them (Similar in the way that the cells would dominate any human who was not strong enough to handle them), and continue to mutilate her body throughout FF7 (Birth, life, death, Synthesis) as its only a puppet of Sephiroth and still lacking a will of its own.

Course, even in the event that she was indeed a thinking being and really a woman with Silver hair and green cat eyes, her body is gone, her cells are inert and her conciousness/will is god knows where.
But knowing Square anything is possible and with the likelyhood of another title coming after Dirge of Cerberus, I'm wondering if they'd think to ressurect the orginal dark harbinger, as if you did away with her it would pretty much seal that "Ok, Sephiroth and Jenova are both dealt with for good" and give the compilation a sense of closure now that the evils which threated the world are both gone forever.

Peronaly I'm really hoping for something like this as I'm curious about a number of things:

1. How would she act/Present herself, perhapse a blood thristy psycho like Rosso or maybe a cold blooded killer like Sephiroth? (or even someone who likes to play kind and friendly to deceive their foes)
2. Her voice, whate would she sound like?
3. What would be her thoughts/feeling towards Sephiroth, they might never have actualy met but if she returned I'm sure she'd find out sooner or later that at some point she had a 'son'.
4. Does she give herself reasoning behind all the destruction, like having some goal which is achieved through the death and suffering of others? (She may simply just be driven to destroy everything, but I'm thinking if in her mind she's thought up an actual reason to kill wether it be to motivate her or give herself a sense of purpose).

Also given her past actions with the cetra, Itd be interesting to see her go up against Cloud as she'd have a field day with all the mess he's been through.

Overall my arguement here is she'd be alot more interesting than Square making up some new villian that pops up out of nowhere (Since in one way or another pretty much everything is her fault thus everyone has a score to settle with her).

So, thoughts people?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Beautiful woman? I dunno about that...

There as been discussion in the other thread about having the new enemy not be Jenova but other members of her species (assuming there are any). But I don't think they'd be able to logically bring back Jenova. In addition to her cells being battered again and again, Sephiroth controls them. So any Reunion would simply result in his return, which most people would see as redundant. And if you say Sephiroth's will had finally dispersed and that Jenova cells just managed to reform out of instinct she'd still be braindead.

I have no problems with a new villain, but I could see fighting some reunited Jenova cells as a sidequest or something, just for fun. (Or at most just a small section of a big, largely unrelated main quest)

NoenGaruth

That Guy With The Midgar Model
AKA
NoenGaruth, Stolz, Blitzwing, Ryoko Asakura, Judge Magister Gabranth, Col. Hans Landa, Itsuki Koizumi, Treize Khushrenada
[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=307.msg7731#msg7731 date=1231826817]
Beautiful woman? I dunno about that...[/quote]

She doesn't look that bad really, beats Scarlet :monster:

[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=307.msg7731#msg7731 date=1231826817] There as been discussion in the other thread about having the new enemy not be Jenova but other members of her species (assuming there are any). But I don't think they'd be able to logically bring back Jenova. In addition to her cells being battered again and again, Sephiroth controls them. So any Reunion would simply result in his return, which most people would see as redundant. And if you say Sephiroth's will had finally dispersed and that Jenova cells just managed to reform out of instinct she'd still be braindead.

I have no problems with a new villain, but I could see fighting some reunited Jenova cells as a sidequest or something, just for fun. (Or at most just a small section of a big, largely unrelated main quest)
[/quote]

That is a good point, tho it would really depend on the means the Cetra used to defeat Jenova, cause like if they just sealed her will away somewhere or in something, it would just be a matter of it being released and resuming control of the cells in Sephiroth's wake (We all know there are people dumb about to do something like this on Gaia). So while I know there's a slim chance of her coming back, I'm just pointing out here that if Square wanted her to there'd be a logical way.

Still, the assumption she was sentient before the cetra incident is a pretty strong case, and at the least it would be nice if in a compilation title they had a prologue movie showing little bits of when she arrived on the planet.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
That is a good point, tho it would really depend on the means the Cetra used to defeat Jenova, cause like if they just sealed her will away somewhere or in something, it would just be a matter of it being released and resuming control of the cells (...)

I think that Jenova's Will was always with her/its body, with an induced sleep status or something.

I guess that Jenova woke up when Sephiroth met her/it in the Nibelheim Reactor.

It's my guess based in the Ultimania Omega books, since it was stated that after Sephiroth's fall in the Lifestream, Jenova tried to take control of Sephiroth, but this battle of wills ended with Sephiroth overwhelming Jenova's will and taking control of her/its body.

To make an assault so fast, Jenova's will surely was in her/its body.

There's the possibility that Jenova's will could be lurking in the Lifestream, but i think that it's more plausible that her/its will was not removed from her/its body.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
[quote author=Dark and Divine link=topic=307.msg7782#msg7782 date=1231852719]
[quote author=NoenGaruth link=topic=307.msg7773#msg7773 date=1231847515]
That is a good point, tho it would really depend on the means the Cetra used to defeat Jenova, cause like if they just sealed her will away somewhere or in something, it would just be a matter of it being released and resuming control of the cells (...)[/quote]

I think that Jenova's Will was always with her/its body, with an induced sleep status or something.

I guess that Jenova woke up when Sephiroth met her/it in the Nibelheim Reactor.

It's my guess based in the Ultimania Omega books, since it was stated that after Sephiroth's fall in the Lifestream, Jenova tried to take control of Sephiroth, but this battle of wills ended with Sephiroth overwhelming Jenova's will and taking control of her/its body.

To make an assault so fast, Jenova's will surely was in her/its body.

There's the possibility that Jenova's will could be lurking in the Lifestream, but i think that it's more plausible that her/its will was not removed from her/its body.
[/quote]

Either way they would still beating a dead horse regardless if her wills still present or not.
if there to continue they really need to get off the seph/jenova shit.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
[quote author=Axel link=topic=307.msg7788#msg7788 date=1231854581]if there to continue they really need to get off the seph/jenova shit.
[/quote]

But that doesn't sell merchandise. lulz. :P

My favourite theories are:

A) Jenova was another planet's Chaos, cast into space after her planet lost its Lifestream. It would explain her destructive tendencies and ability to mutate and empower hosts.

Or...

B) Jenova was some form of advanced bioweapon that crash-landed on Gaia.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=NoenGaruth link=topic=307.msg7773#msg7773 date=1231847515]Still, the assumption she was sentient before the cetra incident is a pretty strong case, and at the least it would be nice if in a compilation title they had a prologue movie showing little bits of when she arrived on the planet.
[/quote]

That WOULD be pretty cool. See how the Cetra tuned into monsters and how they got her into that 'geological stratum'

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
What's the point? I guess FFVII won't be complete until every single aspect is exhausted. There is something called an imagination, y'know.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
There are games (SotC) that are both praised for not explaining every little detail on the story and instead on relying on people's imagination a bit. I don't mind that either btw.

The difference however is that FFVII is pretty massive story and background-wise, especially with the compilation going on.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm not paying for games just to use my imagination.

I can do that for free when I play tabletop RPGs with my friends :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
To be honest there is artistic and plot crafting merit to leave some things up to the players imagination and conjecture instead of detailing EVERY SINGLE THING.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I know you can't resist any shadow of an opportunity to exercise your sarcasm Jubei, but I just said it would be neat. By that admittance I believe I'm already using my imagination by wondering how it would be portrayed. I didn't say they should make a game about it or even show it, merely that that the mention of it was intriguing.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I wouldn't mind some elaboration on the past events involving Jenova's arrival, just out of sheer curiosity.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=307.msg8289#msg8289 date=1231969469]The difference however is that FFVII is pretty massive story and background-wise, especially with the compilation going on.
[/quote]

I don't see why that should make it an exception to the rule? :-\ It's like in any typical fantasy, if someone says "...there was a great war 2000 years ago..." do we really need to see it? It's served its purpose within the context of foreshadowing.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=307.msg8481#msg8481 date=1232003742]
I know you can't resist any shadow of an opportunity to exercise your sarcasm Jubei, but I just said it would be neat. By that admittance I believe I'm already using my imagination by wondering how it would be portrayed. I didn't say they should make a game about it or even show it, merely that that the mention of it was intriguing.
[/quote]

Huh? Who's Jubei?

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=The Notorious M.O.G. link=topic=307.msg8530#msg8530 date=1232036133]Huh? Who's Jubei?[/quote]

Masamune is Jubei.

And I'm one of the persons who wants to know more about Jenova.
Not necessarily about her war with the Cetras, but what exactly is she/it, and why it travels across planets killing people.
Until they explain that, Jenova is nothing more than a random plot-device to me.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Masamune link=topic=307.msg8517#msg8517 date=1232027054]
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=307.msg8289#msg8289 date=1231969469]The difference however is that FFVII is pretty massive story and background-wise, especially with the compilation going on.
[/quote]

I don't see why that should make it an exception to the rule? :-\ It's like in any typical fantasy, if someone says "...there was a great war 2000 years ago..." do we really need to see it? It's served its purpose within the context of foreshadowing.
[/quote]

Yes, but with the Compilation, people have been getting spoiled by getting a game focussed entirely on said great war 2000 years ago, which is kinda my point*.

*: read: I'm just pretending it is, I don't actually have any clue what's going on in dis fred

Andalegogo

Rueful Figure
Jenova really seems like the single greatest threat to the planet in FF7, and its cells are still present in the world. Aside from the original J-cells that existed in the bodies of former SOLDIER, who might still have some surviving members, there are also the J-cells still existing inside the bodies of Geostigma's victims (many of whom still live sans the ichorous death sentence) and inside of Lucrecia.

And those are just the original cells. Aside from those there are the strange little "S-cells" that might still exist within Cloud, though it is possible that they might have been destroyed at the end of AC. And of course, there are the G-cell variants that exist within Genesis' body and those of the Colored Tsviets. Seeing as Genesis might have been cured of his degradation, I can only wonder about what the "unique" quality of his cells might be, and whether it will ultimately be a quality he can use to protect the planet from his fated rival.

Genesis' only real flaw was the fact that his cells suddenly started degrading after he was wounded in the virtual Junon session. Now that he has been cured (apparently) I'm thinking SE's going to focus on G's perfected genetics, genes which include the very material that spawned the likes of Weiss, Nero, Rosso, and Azul.

I think it'd be pretty interesting if Genesis's cells turned out being mutated Jenova cells that have radically negative effects on normal/stable Jenova cells existing in Sephiroth/everywhere. At least it would allow a firm conclusion by completely ridding FF7 of J-cells and Sephiroth once and for all, leaving the planet and the Lifestream in its original state at last.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Cloud has no "S-cells" (which are just Jenova cells used for the Jenova S project) because he's been cured of Geostigma.

The cells still within the people of the world who haven't gotten the purifying water from Aerith's church don't do anything because Sephiroth's will has been crushed and isn't working from the Lifestream anymore, hence..no one's dying from Geostigma.

And when they do die, their cells will pose no threat because Aerith's will and holy water coarses through the planet and the lifestream.

Genesis doesn't have Jenova within him and has never had Jenova cells. His cells are not a threat to the planet. How would he have been able to absorb part of the Lifestream and gain its divine protection if he had Jenova in him? He's not only pure, but cured of his deterioration.

So yeah, Jenova cells have been all but eradicated in AC. Their threat is gone due to Sephiroth being gone.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
He wanted Jenova cells, but never managed to get them.

BWAngel

Rebel without a Cause!!!
Cloud has no "S-cells" (which are just Jenova cells used for the Jenova S project) because he's been cured of Geostigma.

The cells still within the people of the world who haven't gotten the purifying water from Aerith's church don't do anything because Sephiroth's will has been crushed and isn't working from the Lifestream anymore, hence..no one's dying from Geostigma.

And when they do die, their cells will pose no threat because Aerith's will and holy water coarses through the planet and the lifestream.

Genesis doesn't have Jenova within him and has never had Jenova cells. His cells are not a threat to the planet. How would he have been able to absorb part of the Lifestream and gain its divine protection if he had Jenova in him? He's not only pure, but cured of his deterioration.

So yeah, Jenova cells have been all but eradicated in AC. Their threat is gone due to Sephiroth being gone.

Then what about in DoC where the Deepground Soldiers are killing those who are deemed impure while sparing the pure to be sacrificed? If the Jenova cells were truly gone, then everyone would techinically be considered pure.

Also, I think Genesis and Cloud do have Jenova "genes" in them, not pure cells like Sephiroth.

First, (if my memory serves me right) Genesis wasn't directly injected with Jenova cells, but with Gillian's cells (who had been injected with Jenova cells at the beginning of Project G) before the egg was fertilized or while he was a fetus (can't remember and too lazy to look up again). As weird and un-natural as it sounds, the Jenova cells in Gillian may have cut out some of her specific genetic charictaristics, and insert some characteristics of its own. If this is somehow true, then something went wrong in the replacement process and whatever stabalized the Jenova/Gillian cells disappeared, but then Genesis would have either degraded from birth onward or died before/at birth. And, why can't he absorb the lifestream? Sephiroth did it and he was corrupt.

Same goes for Cloud. However, he once has S-cells or Jenova cells (whatever they are called) inside him, but after being healed of the Geostigma he no long has any pure S/Jenova cells in him. The cells could have done the same genetic trait replacement like with Genesis, but since the cells were of better quality, his genetic structure was stabalized.

Think of it as molecular mimicry. I hope this makes since.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
That's called a continuity error. They (the producers, writers, etc) forgot that attributing the name "Geostigma" is the disease, not the status of having Jenova cells.

Look at the 10th Anniversary Ultimania entry on Geostigma and it states that it only appears in the Compilation AC. Which makes sense because it does.

http://thelifestream.net/final-fantasy-vii/220/final-fantasy-vii-series-terms-and-definitions/

Geostigma

「 AC 」

A mysterious illness which spread following the Meteor Crisis. It causes black spots to appear on the skin of the sufferers. There is no cure, and sufferers are gradually weakened by random attacks of pain, eventually proving fatal. This is a condition brought on by the overworking of the body’s immune system, trying to purge Jenova’s cells that have entered the body. And even more terrifyingly, the spiritual energy of the dead afflicted with Geostigma will separate from the normal cycle of life and join the Negative Lifestream — Jenova’s mimetic legacy lurking in the Lifestream — and contribute to its power to corrode away the planet.

What you're saying makes sense, however you're wrong about Genesis being unable to absorb Lifestream. He did, when he transformed into Genesis Avatar.

http://thelifestream.net/final-fantasy-vii/284/crisis-core-complete-guide-keyword-collection/

The Divine Protection of the Planet (p. 294)

In Scene10-04 Genesis refers to the Divine Protection of the Planet, meaning the Planet’s Energy AKA the Lifestream. Genesis absorbed some Lifestream into his body, and in that way received the Divine Protection of the Planet, furthering his belief that he represents the hero of Loveless.

Cloud wouldn't be in the same position as Genesis, since all he did was get Jenova's cells, and they wouldn't replace his genes at all. He only carries the cells inside his body.

BWAngel

Rebel without a Cause!!!
What you're saying makes sense, however you're wrong about Genesis being unable to absorb Lifestream. He did, when he transformed into Genesis Avatar.

I never said that Genesis didn't absorb the lifestream, I know he did, someone else said he didn't.

EDIT: I have another theory, when you say, "They (the producers, writers, etc) forgot that attributing the name "Geostigma" is the disease, not the status of having Jenova cells," is it possible that the stigma is the virus Jenova originally spread among the Cetra only in a weakened form. I mean there are so many theories out there about what/who Jenova is and instead of being a colonized virus (like sea sponges) or the Chaos of another planet, what if she is/was nothing more than a host for the virus. But the question of what/who would she originally be comes into play, then I got nothing.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Oh, I thought you were asking the question and giving the answer that Sephiroth could do it because he was corrupt. My mistake :monster:

Top Bottom