Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge's Roles in the Remake Thread

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I have a question about Jessie which is partly linguistic, partly characterization-related.

So I've recently found an entire FF7R let's play fully translated into Russian and voiced by the same streamer. He did an amazing job all in all, so I decided to check a few specific moments, e.g. how he had managed to translate Jessie's iconic "Psych!". So in his VO, it just meant "a joke" (i.e. "kidding!"), because that's what we say to retract the previous statement in a playful manner.

The definition of "psyche" in Urban Dictionary says:
- A term used to indicate that whatever the person speaking just said was done so purely to mess with the listener's mind, to 'psych' them out, if you will.
- To fake someone out. To lead someone on and then to immediately decline an ending.

So basically, every time Jessie says "Psyche!", does she mean to say "Hey, don't take it seriously, I didn't mean it" ?

Like, "Yeah, come tomorrow night, I'll make you a pizza-- Nah, don't come, I'm just messing with ya" ?

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
That's an interesting one. For me, it means an acknowledgement that what she just said will have confused Cloud/put him on the back foot, with the potential double meaning that she's only joking - except not definitely, so it keeps Cloud guessing and confused. Be interested to hear what gets used in other languages.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Jessie likes to playfully flirt and keep the person she's flirting with guessing. Hence, Wedge's warning. "Life's a stage and love's the play."

But no, she does mean it. She just tries to not make it too obvious that she's extremely attracted to Cloud, because when Cloud actually does take her up on her offer, she gets flustered and she tries to save face and maybe keep Cloud on his toes.

Because after all, Cloud's been repeatedly cold and somewhat non-receptive of her advances until then. So she thought she'd tease him some back.

It's playful game flirting 101. But she obviously does want Cloud. She probably would've sought Cloud out if Cloud did think she was joking to tell him she wasn't and she was just tricking him.

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
But is she flirting with him because she actually wants him or flirting with him to get him to lighten up? I always assumed the latter and thought there might have been confirmation of that somewhere, but I guess not. Still gonna see it that way though, since thats how it plays to my mind whenever I play 7R...

Top Bottom