• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge's Roles in the Remake Thread

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
I never said it was the main part, just that it should be allowed to be developed and addressed just as much as every other part of her character. And a small moment of reciprocation on Cloud's part, possibly during her last exchange with him, isn't going to hurt anything and would bring closure to those feelings and actually address them.

Jessie Rito

Useless Lesbian
I never said it was the main part, just that it should be allowed to be developed and addressed just as much as every other part of her character. And a small moment of reciprocation on Cloud's part, possibly during her last exchange with him, isn't going to hurt anything and would bring closure to those feelings and actually address them.
Well I think during the beginning o the game cloud is having a hard time showing emotions /feelings /whatever. So it would makes sense if he wouldnt know how to reply to them??‍♀️ (disclaimer: this is MY opinion please dont hate me)

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
Jairus his „flirting“ was imho more part of his overall cocky behavior at the beginning of the game than any kind of romantic attraction towards her. Jessie’s feelings were one-sided, at least that‘s what I always felt. Cloud flirted with her because Zack used to flirt with every girl and, in case you forgot, Cloud became Zack. It’s sad for Jessie, of course, but that’s what it is, I’m 100% sure of it.

Jessie Rito

Useless Lesbian
Jairus his „flirting“ was imho more part of his overall cocky behavior at the beginning of the game than any kind of romantic attraction towards her. Jessie’s feelings were one-sided, at least that‘s what I always felt. Cloud flirted with her because Zack used to flirt with every girl and, in case you forgot, Cloud became Zack. It’s sad for Jessie, of course, but that’s what it is, I’m 100% sure of it.

Exactly. Besides i really would like to see her interact with other character like barret tifa and marlene or the reason why Biggs Wedge and her are wearing read headbands

Jairus

That doesn't mean that there couldn't be something of his own to the flirting, and by the time of Jessie's end, he'll have had more character growth than in the original due to Part 1 being entirely Midgar, which necessitates that growth. This means he'll be more capable of expressing emotion faster than in the original. He's human, he can walk and talk, so he can feel.

I don't understand why you seem to think allowing him to feel a small amount for her and spending just a little time on it has to dimish the rest of her character development. They can happen at the same time.

I'm just tired of her getting the shaft and not getting any return at all on her feelings - they should NOT be left unresolved. Why is one single moment of reciprocation too much to ask?

Jairus

But will we see Cloud, Barret, and Tifa commemorating the trio? How will the remake series make sure they're remembered beyond Part 1?

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Methinks it makes Jessie more relatable and interesting that Cloud has no real interest in her romantically, outside of his casual flirting.

Jessie to me was that person who is obviously skilled at what she does, but she doesn't believe she is. In the OG, she actively downplays her work making the mako reactor bomb by saying she just did what the computer told her to.

I'm also being a bit liberal with my extrapolation here, but Jessie strikes me as the kind of person who really mentally punishes herself when she makes even small mistakes.

So when her special ID card she made for Cloud totally shits the bed and sets off the alarms on the train during the second bombing attempt, she absolutely crucifies herself mentally for it. But like a lot of underconfident and anxious people do, she outwardly brushes it off and resolves to fix it next time.

But in her head she's sitting there going "Everything thinks I'm a fucking idiot! How could I be so stupid! And the worst part is it had to be the fucking card I made for the person that I was kinda crushing on a little bit!"

Tl;dr, Jessie to me was that anxious, under confident person who was way too hard on herself. And she's just like everyone else when they're young and have a crush, ain't no fucking way she'd be able to go up to Cloud and ask him on a date, or even flirt back with him to that great a degree.

And that makes her relatable and likeable, to me.

I don't know how much I like her remake persona so far, based on the few trailers I've watched. She seems much more cocksure and flirtatious and, well, #notmyJessie :monster:

But again, I've only seen a few clips, and she's a relatively minor character in the grand scheme of things. And all of the above is just my interpretation of things.

Also, it makes way more sense to me that Barret would be more hung up on Jessie, Biggs and Wedge dying than Cloud. If they were going to have anyone lamenting their deaths it should be their leader who pulled them together into the ragtag group of ~terrorists~ fighters that they are.

The cocky soldier wannabe dickhead that is Midgar era Cloud, who hasn't known them that long, being chief mourner? Nahhh.

But again, just an opinion.

Sasseli

He could acknowledge her feelings, that's right. But he can't reciprocate where there aren't any feelings from his side.
Jessie should be acknowledged, though I pretty much see that in the OG already. I know I was extremely sad when she died along with the others, when I first played it (even though I was just a child).
And compared with Biggs and Wedge she's totally privileged in my opinion. If any, they should all be much more remembered throughout the game.

Keveh Kins Your interpretation totally nails it for me! Thank you!

Odysseus I wasn't part of any previous discussions about that topic, so I'm a little bit oblivious. Excuse me. ?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm kinda hoping there's a segment similar to the "Maiden who traveled the planet" story where Aerith meets with Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, Dyne, and Zack and together they stop Meteor. Maybe some kinda DLC episode where you see the end of the game from Aerith's point of view.

Jairus

I never said Cloud should be the only one, but people keep forgetting that he's going to be spending a lot more time with them in the remake and actually getting to know them and begin building friendships. So that alone allows him to be affected by their loss. This isn't the OG anymore. His development will be somewhat faster because he has to have growth in this installment - he can't be static for the entire game. And losing his new friends can be part of that growth.

Cloud is the main character, and we're seeing the game through his eyes. For us to care about things in the story, he has to come to care about them himself and be affected by them. That includes the trio and their loss. So I want Cloud to be remembering along with Tifa and Barret and not be left out. It doesn't have to be to the same extent because they did know them longer than he did, but there should be at least some.

Sasseli, you don't know there won't be anything from him in the remake. You don't flirt with someone you don't feel at least a little bit for. And giving her a small bit of what she longed for with him isn't going to hurt anything. To use the example I provided earlier, holding her for a moment as she's dying after she's told him how she felt about him isn't going to ruin his character or hurt anything. He doesn't even have to say anything in a moment like that.

You make a strong case, Jairus, but I have to disagree with you on this:
You don't flirt with someone you don't feel at least a little bit for.
Zack flirted with anything that breathed. Flirt was his default mode. In the real world there are plenty of people for whom "flirt" is default mode, and they certainly do flirt with people they don't feel anything at all for.

Jairus

Well actually, in CC he only flirted with Cissnei and that receptionist aside from Aerith. That's hardly everyone. I should have said you don't usually flirt with someone you don't think is attractive.

Sasseli

Yes, he did just flirt with her for the sake of flirting (because that's what Zack did). He can develop kind-of-deep (considering the time he knew her) platonic friendship-feelings for her, I'm totally fine with that. But please no romance. That never happened and it'd be weird if it happened now. It would ruin part of the narration for me (and for lots others as well, I guess). Acknowledge her feelings (in retrospective), fine. Being hurt by her death, totally! Mourn her, yes! Reciprocate, nope.

Jairus

You make a strong case, Jairus, but I have to disagree with you on this:

Zack flirted with anything that breathed. Flirt was his default mode. In the real world there are plenty of people for whom "flirt" is default mode, and they certainly do flirt with people they don't feel anything at all for.

Doesn't necessarily mean that's the case for Cloud or that it has to be. Or Jessie, for that matter. I just don't want her feelings to not be addressed at all the way it was in the OG.

Sasseli, you still haven't answered my question. How would him holding her for a moment as she's dying after she's told him how she felt about him ruin anything? Why must she be continually denied even the smallest bit of what she longs for? That seems almost cruel. Are you saying you want her to die heartbroken?

Top Bottom