• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

John Wick... Films!

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
I'd love for the end of the film to have Keanu lying somewhere bleeding out as Laurence walks up to him before asking if he wants to take the red pill or the blue pill then the screen goes black and the green code starts appearing down the screen XD

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
He said the thing! He said the line!

GUNS. LOTS OF GUNS.

I love that the comments section on this video are just flooded with people talking about that:

I really just cant get enough out of the fact that these movies sort of just grew out of The Matrix stunt coordinator wanting to work with Keanu again, and they've slowly just nodded to those films more and more. It's like the film equivalent of something that's a little bit fan-fic like in concept, but you work hard to make it into its own thing, but always have clear nods to the work that inspired you.

Gods, I just cannot get enough of it.

X :neo:

Great fun. I feel this movie allowed some more comedy to slip in than in the previous films and it felt deserved.

It was nice to see consequences play out (or at least being emphasized) for characters who weren't just John Wick and his enemies. Even John Wick's allies/quasi-friends got their fair share. If there is a John Wick 4 I suspect we will see this theme used for a continuation of Sophia's (Halle Berry's) character story too.

Three is the magic number and I would have perhaps preferred some assurance that, yes, this is the final movie in the series. But John Wick 4 is looking fairly likely now.

I feel like none of the new music stood out for me and instead the recycling of old music from the series stood out in a distracting way. Sure I like the music from the first and second movie but I wish this third movie had an original piece that stuck with me in a powerful way.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

I largely agree with this video, but I think that I'm slightly more optimistic. Additionally, I unabashedly loved some of the developments that were seeded with the other characters in Chapter 3. There are some really big parts that are set into motion in ways that I think will make the next film stand out.

Halley Berry kicks ass as Sofia, but you can also see that she's been out of the life for a little bit compared to John. She's definitely set up to be a barrier for him though, because you know that there's no way that he can go up against her and her dogs emotionally, but he has the leverage about her daughter that puts him in a position that's also uncomfortable for him emotionally. I absolutely expect them to deliver on that development from Casa Blanca.

The Russians. It's VERY clear that he burned his one and only ticket with them, and that's going to cost him somehow. I'd fully expect the cause and effect from them to come back with a particular vengeance. I'd expect that we get to learn a bit about John's history with them as the reasoning.

Winston is far more dangerous and smart than he ever let on. New York is his, and he's always negotiating for his own safety and power, even while he considers John a good friend. He's playing chess (literally in the reveal shot) to turn John's actions into his own opportunities, likely because he's attempting to secure a way to get himself closer to the High Table. Additionally, we know how much of a badass Charon is.

With The Bowery King, John has what he needs to be a force from the shadows that also threatens what's happening with Winston, but potentially to be double-crossed again. John needs some genuine backing to help him out to kick this one off differently, and this is the shady underbelly that is perfectly suited for that, especially if we're seeing John return to being the Baba Yaga for any period of time – necessitating finding himself again.

The Elder has his wedding ring, setting the stakes of the need to return there to reclaim himself as John Wick and not as the Baba Yaga. But then that presents the issue of a power vacuum, with so, SO many parties looking to fill the position. If John wants out of that life, it likely has to involve dismantling the whole system, or relegating that he's trapped into the position he wants least of all, Conan-style, as a king himself. He'll have the ring back, but no finger to wear it on.

It'll be really interesting to see how they ultimately handle that, since it's clearly also a film series written to be deeply cathartic for Keanu Reeves personally, given his own past with loss and pain. I'd expect that they know where they ultimately want to take it because of that.

Parabellum is absolutely a necessary film to establish all of the elements needed for a satisfying conclusion to John Wick's story, so it feels a little slower and less like big things happen, but that's definitely intentional. How well that pays off will remain to be seen.

Last edited:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I think in universe John was struggling against the martial artists as well, though? They comment on it

and turn down chances to kill him. They're pure martial artists, while he's best with the gun he didn't have at the time.

I think my biggest question was Winston. He could bring New York to a standstill with a word in the last film, but now he defends the continental with a handful of cannon fodder?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I think my biggest question was Winston. He could bring New York to a standstill with a word in the last film, but now he defends the continental with a handful of cannon fodder?

That's mentioned actually!

When the Adjudicator realizes that what Winston is doing is not actually fighting them, but just a show of strength. He specifically mentions that his power extends beyond just the hotel to the whole of New York City – but he doesn't wield it here, because he's really just posturing to ensure he gets to keep his position at The Continental. He's not actually going to war with the High Table, but merely positioning that he's more than capable of holding off their initial forces with a minimal expenditure of his own efforts, and that all out war with him will escalate significantly to the point that it's just flat out a bad idea – because he's still loyal and wants to keep his position.

That's why the alliance between John & The Bowery King matters, because The Bowery King represents the seat of power in the NYC underworld that has the capability of subverting Winston's nearly endless influence within the city proper.

Top Bottom