Johnny Depp kicked out of Pirates Franchise by Disney

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Not sure if anyone's heard yet, but a day ago, Disney made an official announcement that Johnny Depp will no longer play as Captain Jack Sparrow of the Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise due to having punched a Crew member while extremely drunk and being on drugs. This very likely happened when he was doing Fantastic Beast's Sequel.

This just not only destroyed Depp's career, though what he did was unfortunately his own mistake that will take a long time to recover from(My friend's cousin is heavy on drugs and will not get out of it), but also any future roles of Jack in the Pirates' Sixth film which, while still in development as also confirmed as of this month, I think it will be cancelled to make way for a rumored Reboot that is yet to be officially confirmed.

Random Nobody

local roach
tenor.gif

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
What a fall from grace! I remember the days when I counted Depp as one of my favourite actors. Seemed the older he got, the more one-dimensional his roles became. Or has he always this shitty and I just never noticed? :P

SAD!!

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Can't say I feel sorry for Depp for what he did and he has gotten into heaps of trouble lately, but he has always been the best Jack Sparrow in the first three films, and while I've only seen snippets of the fourth film which isn't as good as the first three, he still had that anti-hero thing happening which he is still in his own way despite his obnoxious personality. But even though the fifth film was a bit better than the fourth, I thought Jack's character had gone downhill rapidly, especially with the story-line having the timeline getting mixed up and a bit wrong from the other movies.

Plus some people I've spoken to think that Johnny Depp's actually reprising his role as Jack Sparrow in KH3 since the voice sounds almost exactly like him. But now with what's happened here, I highly doubt it.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
PotC should have been standalone films like they originally intended. But at the time execs didn’t know their elbows from their assholes, so their opinion of Sparrow went from “we can’t release a movie with this character in it” to “he is PotC” as soon as they saw how popular he was. “We’ll be rich!” And like I guess they were? But goodness the product is sub par. Silly execs never understand that dark horse characters should (almost) never become main characters and I’m looking at you Dirge of Cerberus, Merry Wives of Windsor, Happy Days, and Super Mario World 2: The Island of Colic. As much as we fans say we want it, we almost never want it. You can’t have ice cream for every meal you don’t actually want that you will regret that Ite just look at yourself!

Where was I? Ah yes. Maybe I’ll actually enjoy the next PotC movie, because it will be a movie about pirates and not a movie about me giving Disney more money to watch ol’ wiggly hands phone another one in.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Depp has been falling from grace for a while now. Not just because of his tumultuous marriage/divorce from Amber Heard, but I remember Rolling Stone publishing a pretty bleak article a while back highlighting how he was in debt and such.

Kinda sucks to see a once good actor appear to hit rock bottom, but oh well. Personally, I haven't seen a Pirates movie since the 3rd one; the last good one in my opinion. I wonder if they're just going to nix the Jack Sparrow character entirely in this reboot they're trying to do.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Mr. Ite said:
PotC should have been standalone films like they originally intended. But at the time execs didn’t know their elbows from their assholes, so their opinion of Sparrow went from “we can’t release a movie with this character in it” to “he is PotC” as soon as they saw how popular he was. “We’ll be rich!” And like I guess they were? But goodness the product is sub par. Silly execs never understand that dark horse characters should (almost) never become main characters and I’m looking at you Dirge of Cerberus, Merry Wives of Windsor, Happy Days, and Super Mario World 2: The Island of Colic. As much as we fans say we want it, we almost never want it. You can’t have ice cream for every meal you don’t actually want that you will regret that Ite just look at yourself!

Where was I? Ah yes. Maybe I’ll actually enjoy the next PotC movie, because it will be a movie about pirates and not a movie about me giving Disney more money to watch ol’ wiggly hands phone another one in.

Well, like everyone else in the world, people in studios do change their minds and rearrange their plans. You can't always fault them for that. While I have no idea why you don't like the idea of Vincent being the main character of Dirge of Cerberus(which is one of my favorites and I like Vincent), I won't judge you for disliking him because everyone likes different things, including characters.

I'm not even going to watch the next Pirates film now, especially since Jack won't be in it. Though when you really think about it, the movies are about pirates because, well, Jack is a Pirate fighting other Pirates. Plus the movie is set in a completely different reality compared to our real reality.

Depp has been falling from grace for a while now. Not just because of his tumultuous marriage/divorce from Amber Heard, but I remember Rolling Stone publishing a pretty bleak article a while back highlighting how he was in debt and such.

Kinda sucks to see a once good actor appear to hit rock bottom, but oh well. Personally, I haven't seen a Pirates movie since the 3rd one; the last good one in my opinion. I wonder if they're just going to nix the Jack Sparrow character entirely in this reboot they're trying to do.

Not to mention illegally bringing his two dogs into Australia when he wasn't meant to as I remember as well back when he went to the Gold Coast to shooting for the fifth film.

I have a feeling they're going to drop the sixth film all together and use what they're doing now to begin working on the Reboot. Because I think that's what Disney did when they were working on the Live Action prequel of Aladdin that was meant to tell Genie's origin story that was meant to be released before the upcoming live action remake of the 1992 film, and lo and behold, we hear nothing more of the prequel and instead get the Remake for next year instead after from an old rumor that it's been shelved due to Disney wanting to respect Robin William's legacy as the first Genie or something.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I only genuinely love the first two movies, and the rest I've kept up with because of this long standing sense of franchise loyalty, I guess. I probably would have seen the last movie they were planning for the franchise. As the series has gone, I don't really care. The later movies are pretty garbage, and the writing for the Jack Sparrow character very quickly devolved into "lawl so random" humour. There's a part of me that's kind of disappointed that the character won't get a proper send off with the original actor who helped create him but then... His whole role in the last movie was to just hang around to say something "quirky" and it was just so cringey. Firing Depp for his behaviour was completely the right move as well.

That being said, I really don't... care about a reboot either. The only investment I had in the movies was to see where they would take the characters I was already attached to. If they're not gonna do that - either just have Sparrow uninvolved in the last movie, or make a completely new Pirate movie in a completely different style with a new lore. PotC has been spiritually dead for a long time, and I think the best thing to come out of this move is to make room for different kinds of pirate movies.

wander

‪‫‬‭ ‮
No but really, Depp is an absolute junkie. I swear his gums were bleeding one of the times he was on Graham Norton's show. Sometimes I wonder if it all started when he played Hunter S. Thompson and realised what a boring shit he is compared to that man, and thought Thompson's secret was drugs as opposed to being a natural razor-penned wit.

Top Bottom